Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 535 - 544 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #535   Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

As usual your conclusion is logically inconsistent.  You impugn me but follow my lead.  Thank you.  Words of advice:  Before you complain about the splinter in my eye, remove the log in yours! 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

The number one reason I come here is to hear you spread Dyson falsehoods.  Some I take on as a challenge.  You have made my Dyson game better and in the process I am reminded (by way of research) what an antiquated appliance the vacuum cleaner was until Dyson.

Dyson interviewed in Readers Digest (Feb, 2009), in it he says he made under $1b last year.  Does this make you happy?

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #536   Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

You have made my Dyson game better and in the process I am reminded (by way of research) what an antiquated appliance the vacuum cleaner was until Dyson.

DIB

Hi DIB:

Ah....for you, it's a game.  Too bad.  For me, it's a vocation.  One that makes me very happy.  Thanks for asking.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #537   Jan 26, 2009 6:11 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

I simply followed your lead...  assuming is something you've ran with here.   If assumptions were removed from these many posts, I'd say at minimum, 40%-50% of your posting would have to go.  Take it easy and get off the Holier-Than-Thou soap box, we let you speak much and back up little.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #538   Jan 26, 2009 7:12 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

As usual HS, you can't ever make up your mind!  Is it DC07 ?, Royal Emminence ?, Kirby ?, EUREKA BOSS Smart Vac,  HOOVER FUSION, HOOVER WT, REXAIR/RAINBOW, HOOVER Whisper.........did I leave any out?

What to buy?  What to choose?  What to keep?  What to use?  So many choices!  Freedom of choice is a difficult thing.  Try the ORECK again.  You'll change your mind [again].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #539   Jan 26, 2009 10:31 pm
 All of this ballyhoo over a vacuum cleaner that is now all but one more chapter in history?

James Dyson is a brillant conceptual engineer, but he is not a design engineer to nearly the same degree. He designed a new concept around a vacuum cleaner. What his imitators are doing now is designing their vacuum cleaners around what is now a commonplace concept.  Mr. Dyson made vacuums that are novel, and admittedly fuctional in that they maintain their cleaning power much longer than vacuums equipped with the paper bags of approximately 20 years ago. However, by no stretch of the imagination did he build vacuum cleaners which are attractive (downright fanny ugly) nor convenient, not compared to many he had to compete against. To avoid having a height adjustment he designed a failure-prone clutch assembly which is not inexpensive to repair. (Oh ye who dibelieve, talk to the vac shops waiting on repair parts on back order from Dyson) The hose/wand is inconvenient (Actually his imitator, Amway, had the optimum solution, a lever to switch suction from floor to hose, and a short stetch hose with a crevice tool on board. The addition of a telescopic wand, dust brush, and upholstery tool on board would have allowed the operator to vacuum with the vacuum handle in one hand, and the hose/wand in the other and switch from one to the other with the flick of a toe. The Sharp bagless had this arrangement, and it is the most convenient upright to use simultaneuoslty with OBT of any that have ever been manufactured. Eureka/Lux has a few BUT, the switch from floor to above-the-floor is acheived with a dial which must be operated by hand.

The important issue to remember is that the bagless concept has now been rendered obsolete by the new bags made from 3M Filtrete paper/cloth. They have been proved in Miele, Sanitaire, Kirby and other brands to maintain nealy 100% of their initial cleaning power as they fill with dirt. The dirt in these bags is compacted as the bag fills, in the bagless machines it is fluffed and looks like more than it really is. If you don't have to change the bags as often as you would have to empty a dirt container, and if the bags are more sanitary and convenient, what are the advantages of a bagless unit, even a Dyson? Cost? It is just paper, not hide flayed from anyone's back. Does anyone track how much bathroom tissue, facial tissue, paper plates and paper towels they use annually? If not, what is all the fuss and to-do about the cost of 6 to 8 bags a year? Nothing but hype, and it is ludicrous. James Dyson you have had your 15min of fame, is that all you've got?

This message was modified Jan 26, 2009 by Trebor
DysonInventsBig

Reply #540   Jan 27, 2009 2:02 am
Bags and filters are the choke point to all vacuum cleaners.  3M controls (in theory) an entire industries choke point.  Dyson controls the choke point to his vacuums by how he engineers the many elements that comprise or aid his filters.

3M’s lists the many reasons their filter chokes and/or chokes early.   http://www.filtretevac.com/usage_tips.html#1

DIB
This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

mole

Reply #541   Jan 27, 2009 5:30 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Bags and filters are the choke point to all vacuum cleaners.  3M controls (in theory) an entire industries choke point.  Dyson controls the choke point to his vacuums by how he engineers the many elements that comprise or aid his filters.

DIB

This makes for nice sounding,SOUND bites for advertising, Oh look we saved $ 8.00  A year on bags ,Why dont they tell us much the lifetime filters cost to replace once a year.

Im getting real tired of rug sucker HYPE and the con job this industry has become.

MOLE
Trebor

Reply #542   Jan 27, 2009 3:32 pm
The finer the material being filtered the faster any filter will lose its effectiveness. That includes Dyson. As the cyclone starts up and winds down, in other words when the centrifugal force is insufficient for the particles being spun to acquire sufficient mass to be spun out of the airstream, particles are deposited on the filter. The more times a Dyson is turned on and off the sooner the cyclonic action is impaired. It is quite easy to sell a Kirby in a home where a Dyson and carpet fresh is are used regularly.

There is no question that the filtrete bags sustain cleaning power much longer than the paper bags with the melt blown liner. Any slight improvement over this offered by the Dyson cyclonic action is minimal, and the user still has to take it outside to open it to dump the dirt, and even if it is held inside a garbage bag when it is emptied, a certain amount of dust inevitably escapes. The point of HEPA filtration is to AVOID contact with the collected pollutants, which no bagless does. How about disposable bagless containers, like that cheap imitation tupperware in the stores? They could be made super cheap, filter and all, just toss them away and put another one on!

Trilobite

Reply #543   Jan 27, 2009 4:36 pm
Trebor wrote:
The finer the material being filtered the faster any filter will lose its effectiveness. That includes Dyson. As the cyclone starts up and winds down, in other words when the centrifugal force is insufficient for the particles being spun to acquire sufficient mass to be spun out of the airstream, particles are deposited on the filter. The more times a Dyson is turned on and off the sooner the cyclonic action is impaired. It is quite easy to sell a Kirby in a home where a Dyson and carpet fresh is are used regularly.

There is no question that the filtrete bags sustain cleaning power much longer than the paper bags with the melt blown liner. Any slight improvement over this offered by the Dyson cyclonic action is minimal, and the user still has to take it outside to open it to dump the dirt, and even if it is held inside a garbage bag when it is emptied, a certain amount of dust inevitably escapes. The point of HEPA filtration is to AVOID contact with the collected pollutants, which no bagless does. How about disposable bagless containers, like that cheap imitation tupperware in the stores? They could be made super cheap, filter and all, just toss them away and put another one on!

Ha ha! That thought has crossed my mind too! It makes bagged cleaners look like the sensible option after all.

Hoover UK had an upright called the 'Cyclean', which was a 'Vortex'/'Whirlwind'/'Hurricane' look-a-likey. It had the option of accepting 'Hoover' polythene bags! These bags had draw-strings, similar to the polybags in which ladies' make-up removal, cottonwool b-a-l-l-s are sometimes sold.

http://www1.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Hoover-Hoover-CC3505-Cyclean-Twin-Hepa-Upright-Vacuum-Cleaner

(click on 'Read more' for further info.)

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Trilobite
HARDSELL

Reply #544   Jan 27, 2009 4:41 pm
Trebor wrote:
Nothing new in the first sentence. I would like to add that a filter that collecrs no dirt is either not functioning or should not  be designed to be where it is located. This is true in other filtered products.  In my experience I never noticed loss of suction in a DC07.  I have noticed it rather quickly in all my bagged vacuums.  I did not buy a Kirby because it out performed my Dyson.  I have previously stated that the salesman had to work hard to dirty the filter pad used in his demo. You could have put the dirt in a thimble. I attribute this to regular use with the DC07.  He also used the old "see how many more pads the Kirby will hold to the base using suction only.  The Royal failed miserably.  At the time I had a DC14 that held more pads than his Kirby before losing suction.  BTW, I have used capture.  How quickly will baking soda clog your favorite brand?   

Agreed that emptying bagless is not the most pleasant task.  Changing bags is no more pleasant.  Especially on the Kirby.  I can understand how a few may be bothered by the omission of dirt when emptying a bagless due to health reasons.  That same dirt is in the home prior to vacuuming and breathed daily until removed.  Use HEPA all you want but what about the dirt that is being blown around and not going into the bag.  This has to happen on front exhausted vacuums.  I can smell dust without seeing it. This is especially true when vacuuming on hard surfaces.  Hell, my Royal almost blows the curtains off the wall when it gets within 5 feet of them.

It is apparent that you are as Dyson as Carmine.  Fiund the perfect vacuum and rep[ort to us.

Replies: 535 - 544 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42