Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Original Message   Jan 20, 2009 6:02 pm
Please contribute what you know of Air-Way’s innovative past...

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2009 7:00 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Please contribute what you know of Air-Way’s innovative past...

It's defunct! 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Re: Air-Way Vacuum - The visionaries, the innovations, the back stories, the lawsuit[s]...
Reply #2   Jan 20, 2009 11:29 pm
I am by no means the most knowledgable person about Air-Way, but they did invent the power nozzle, or two motor system before Electrolux, they had a paper pag before Electrolux. Hoover claimed to have invented the paper bag, and there was a lawsuit which Airway won. Hoover had to wait until the patents on the paper bag expired. Now, the beater bar, that was another matter, Airway had a roller brush that actually used small metal rod sections attached to rubber pieces that would stretch slightly from the centrifugal force to agitate the ncarpet. Hoover claimed infringment and won, and the patent on the paper bag for uprights was soon to expire, so Airway focused on the famous Airway vertical tank format. It allowed another 17 years of exclusivity on the paper bag becaue it  was for a tank cleaner, and got them out of the contested beater bar arena. At the time there were few tank cleaners, Lux, and Rainbow come to mind.

Everyone thought the dual motor upright by vorwerk as such an innovation, but Airway had done it in the 20's. There was discussion on the old vac web forum about the concept being revived using a CenTec powerhead with a quick release.

If I think of more, I'll share

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2009 2:36 am
Dare I say it?   They invented Tandem Air as well.   Unintentionally I might add.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2009 2:32 pm
Trebor, Vacuuman,

Thank you both!

I was absolutely blown away of the many forward thinking and lasting inventions this company (men and/or women) came up with.  I know little of this Vac maker, except of late.  They had individual parts or unique life changing inventions but were (IMO) squandered when they were placed in the the two unique only to Air-Way vacuums I am aware of...  1) The *wheel barrel-styled Fleetwood and Chief and 2) their vertical sitting canister.  Which were not excepted (fully) by consumers.  If these men/women put their super innovative individual parts into a standard canister or upright...  who knows, they may still be with us today.  Regardless, these and their other innovations (the concept of a disposable bag, etc.) are keystone[s] in this industry and for users.

Anyone know...
Who invented or married a dedicated motor to a brushroll?  - Was it Airway, Hoover or another?

Anyone know the parent name to Air-Way, I’d like to look up their patents.  Thus far I’ve located nothing searching and using the name Air-Way or Airway.

DIB

*It stores and rests like a wheel barrel (it’s almost the same footprint).

HARDSELL

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Trebor, Vacuuman,

Thank you both!

I was absolutely blown away of the many forward thinking and lasting inventions this company (men and/or women) came up with.  I know little of this Vac maker, except of late.  They had individual parts or unique life changing inventions but were (IMO) squandered when they were placed in the the two unique only to Air-Way vacuums I am aware of...  1) The *wheel barrel-styled Fleetwood and Chief and 2) their vertical sitting canister.  Which were not excepted (fully) by consumers.  If these men/women put their super innovative individual parts into a standard canister or upright...  who knows, they may still be with us today.  Regardless, these and their other innovations (the concept of a disposable bag, etc.) are keystone[s] in this industry and for users.

Anyone know...
Who invented or married a dedicated motor to a brushroll?  - Was it Airway, Hoover or another?

Anyone know the parent name to Air-Way, I’d like to look up their patents.  Thus far I’ve located nothing searching and using the name Air-Way or Airway.

DIB

*It stores and rests like a wheel barrel (it’s almost the same footprint).

DIB,

No need to look up their patents.  They did not infringe on Dyson.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Hardsell,

Believe it or not, I like all good ideas/life changing ideas, and I enjoy viewing the old artistic patent drawings too.  Also I like to know the ages of the many components of today's vacuums and/or see how much/how little they have evolved, etc.  And other reasons too.

DIB

Trebor

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2009 3:14 pm
Thanks, I had forgotten the Tandem air system. They used Hamilton Beach uprights, and then Eurekas, with a wand assembly replacing the handle.

I think with agressive marketing to vac shops as a preferred line, Air-Way could have thrived. There is a renewed interest in canisters, to say the least. People are walking into vac shops and plunking down a credit card for a Miele Caprocorn at 1200.00 a pop!  Miele is an excellent vacuum, with plenty of innovative engineering, but it still is a plastic, German-made product. Miele says they expect a 20 life span out of their machines. You can find Air-Way machines 80 years old that run. I think the entire airway line could have been reproduced and sold today, profitably, but at a reasonable cost. Lots of folks still will buy American if given the opportunity.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Anyone know...

Here's one of at least 3 powernozzle designs, intended to be used in conjuction with a central vacuum system, patented by Hoover in September 1919. I don't know if this is actually the first dedicated brush-roll motor, but it's certainly an early one:

DIB - Many Air-Way patents are filed under the name D. B. Replogle. Hope this helps!

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2009 3:44 pm
Model2,

I gotta tell you... it is refreshing to see others post patents.  Patents are King and tell an accurate story too.  I’ll be taking a closer look at your/the patents posted when I have more time.  Thanks!

DIB
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2009 4:45 am
Model2,

Many thanks for the Air-Way inventors name! I never would have found this company or its inventor without your help.  He was a “golden goose”, his creativity has generated billions for others.  Although I cannot understand why Air-Way believed in product that did not fold up like a typical upright, it was brutal to store.  Many great individual parts (innovations), placed on a terrible platform.
DIB
This message was modified Jan 29, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42