Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson is in Decline

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Dyson is in Decline
Original Message   Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm
A few days ago I spoke with Tom Gasko, who was, and I do emphasize the past tense, a huge supporter of Dyson. The unit he sold and promoted was the now defunct DC07. Everything produced by Dyson since has been of inferior quality. The DC14 reduced the size of the bin because comsumers thought the DC07 looked too bulky. The hose handle was changed because consumers thought it was too much trouble to invert the wand. Hype and hyperbole have been the tools of Dyson marketing since before their incursion into North America. Does anyone remember the original Fantom? Dual cyclone, Dyson invention. Dyson forgot the K.I.S.S. principle. The first 400,000 or so units with their B&D motors were great vacuums. The only reason the ones still running have to go to the junkheap is because parts are no longer available. If Dyson had put his dual cyclone with the improved shroud on top of the Fantom brush roll/head with a v-belt and a full-diameter wand inside a hose large enough to store it, it would have been the perfect bagless vacuum! More cyclones mean more convoluted dirt paths. A powerful enough motor would have boosted the performance of the dual cyclone sufficiently to have made a washable permanent hepa filter feasible.

Dyson was stupid. If he had played his cards right, he could have utterly, totally, completely destroyed the world vacuum cleaner market. But he is in love with his prowess as an engineer, and believes himself above the laws of marketing. Here's what he should have done, and screw astm and all the rest.

1) Create a retrofit single cyclone bagless conversion kit for all uprights. Start marketing on infomercials, and QVC. Do the vacuum demo trick with the consumers own vacuum, clean with a bag, and clean with the conversion kit. See, you don't need a new vacuum at all, you just need our kit to make your old vacuum better than any new vacuum you can buy!

2) Get the vac shops involved. Stay out of the big box retailers! The sales of new vacs and vac bags are hurting, and the sales of old vacs are more profitable than ever. People are buying the conversion kits and keeping their old vacuums. It's obviosly a defensible patent. Don't sell or lease it. The minor players start dropping like flies. Let them. Keep it up until the big players are bleeding. Vacuums are a minor product for big box retailers now, so they buy fewer of them. No one is going to notice or care, it's just vacuums, right?

3) Create the wand mounted dirt cup for canisters, create the new and improved version of the upright cup, hard plastic with push button bottom empty. Keep selling on QVC. Get cleaning professionals and allergists on the bandwagon. Save money! Make your old vacuum better than new!

4) Introduce small canisters, hand vacs and stick vacs with the cyclonic technology, to be continued

Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson is in Decline
Reply #8   Jan 19, 2009 7:15 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

$1.5b in sales every day?  Walmart doesn't come close to those numbers.

DIB

Actually, it might be close to half that daily amount.  I haven't seen the 2008 actuals and W*M revised estimates downward, but I think [if memory serves me right] the earnings were projected for the year in the $250 BILLION range.  That would be  $.7 Billion a day. 

That's the reason in large part that dyson went with the Sam's Club Stores' deal on dyson's DC27.  Couldn't get into the W*M stores with it but settled for the lesser Sam's.  Not sure yet whether DC27 is just internet and/or in stores sales.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Jan 19, 2009 8:23 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Gladly.  I thought you would never ask.  If you're a daily reader of the business news/listener to business reports you wouldn't have to ask me.  Be that as it may, the Wall Street Journal has reported throughout the holiday season [and still] that sales of luxury goods at all the major US retailers are off a minimum of 30 percent in 2008.  I opine that a $500 plus vacuum is a luxury good.  Since dysons are sold primarily through big box retailers, then by deductive reasoning, dyson sales are off, at least in the USA, two-thirds of dyson's market, by at least 30 percent.    Of course, I corroborated this with a number of friends and family members who work for big box retailers and familiar with vacuum brands and sales.  Always nice to have corroborating evidence and support.  Note too from the link that you provide about ORECK, that Tom says 2008 sales are down from 2007.  But being a minor player in the US vacuum market, ORECK sales are not down nearly as bad as other vacuum makers [according to Tom].  Which do you think he's talking about?  Let's see.  Uhmm?  I got it!  Since dyson boasts about being number one in sales in the industry, it then must be number 1 in being down in sales too!  Make sense? Do you have evidence to disprove?

Carmine D.

Your deductive reasoning could be flawed.  Total sales are reported to be down 30%.  Some brands/items would be up and others down. Do you have figures to prove that Dyson was down 30%?

I am not saying you are wrong. Only that you haven't proven to be correct.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Jan 19, 2009 8:57 am
Hi HARDSELL:

Could be flawed?  No, sorry, my friend.  Your's could be flawed, so we both agree to disagree.  $1.5 BILLION in sales is the number DIB threw out.  Not me.  I responded to him with a question to state the time period for these sales.  He asked me to go first.  I did.  Now it's his turn to show his hand, not yours.  You can comment on my logical reasoning [with certainty] as flawed/correct after he weighs in.  Until then, I have the winning hand and DIB is still sitting on his.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #11   Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi DIB:

Today is a very subjective time period for sales.  I doubt dyson, as good as you think it is, could sell $1.5 BILLION every day.  Could you be more specific?  What time period is it?  Calendar year 2006, 7, 8? 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Before the economic meltdown I posted a link some months ago to a online UK newspaper that claimed Dyson sales were up from $1b to $1,5b and his expansion into additional countries. - I do not recall you disputing it.  I cannot find this (my) post here after a good look, so I give up.

Certainly the high rate of “adoption” by Dyson competitors reflects how badly the masses desire Dyson technologies and the money that can be made from them.  Dyson struck gold and the Gold Rush is on.

DIB

Trebor

Reply #12   Jan 19, 2009 6:52 pm
Would anyone like to re-read this post, then read the second part of it and comment?

My point is that James' Dysons shortsightedness will ultimatey be his demise. People cry foul the loudest who do themselves in through lack of attention to anything but the tyranny of the urgent. He could have been the last vac man standing, but while he is a good engineer, he is a horrible marketer. I submit my senarios would have unfolded as I laid them out, because even if anyone noticed, our government would never have bailed out the vacuum industry, not when we can't commit to a bailout for the automakers.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by Trebor
mole

Reply #13   Jan 19, 2009 8:04 pm
Us old timers in the business have seen the bagless cycle.It took 4 years to wind down,Give dyson credit for keeping it  going that long, How long did the fantom craze last? i think about the same length of time.The others that hitched themselves to the bagless bandwagon have taken the big box customers away from dyson,Lets see a bagless vacuum is a bagless vacuum to the average consumer,

Venson knows what i'm talking about.A vacuum purchase to the big box store consumer is the same as buying coffee maker, I just want something that works and not think about it again till it dont work no more.And buy the cheapest thing i can find, and i dont care whos name is on it.

DYSON MADE A FATAL MISTAKE WHEN HR PUSHED THE DEALERS ASIDE,AND WENT BIG BOX, BUT MAYBE, BUT JUST MAYBE THIS WAS THEIR BUSINESS PLAN ALL ALONG.I bet GASKO knows..........

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #14   Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
 Carmine,

Before the economic meltdown I posted a link some months ago to a online UK newspaper that claimed Dyson sales were up from $1b to $1,5b and his expansion into additional countries. - I do not recall you disputing it.  I cannot find this (my) post here after a good look, so I give up.

DIB

Thanks, I recall DIB.  Not like you to give up when it comes to proving your point and disproving mine.  My memory says it was for calendar year 2006 and/or 2007, that's why I did not dispute it.  Nothing was posted here on 2008 dyson vacuum sales/earnings.  Too soon to know. 

Estimating dyson sales being down by 30 percent in 2008 is probably conservative.  I suspect luxury goods at big box retailers in the $200-$300 price range are down 20-30 percent while items priced $400-$500 plus [like dydson vacuums] are down 50 percent and even more.  For an average of about 30.  It's logically consistent that the higher the cost of luxury goods/items in an industry, the larger its sales decline in a bad economy.  People trade down in hard times.  This minimizes the decline on the low priced luxury goods and maximizes the decline on the high priced luxury goods.    If you read Tom Oreck's comments about ORECK sales in 2008, he says the same but in different words.  Do you have evidence to disprove this?

BTW, there is a HUGE difference between $1. BILLION and $1.5 BILLION in yearly sales.  Let alone for today!

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks, I recall DIB.  Not like you to give up when it comes to proving your point and disproving mine.  My memory says it was for calendar year 2006 and/or 2007, that's why I did not dispute it.  Nothing was posted here on 2008 dyson vacuum sales/earnings.  Too soon to know. 

Estimating dyson sales being down by 30 percent in 2008 is probably conservative.  I suspect luxury goods at big box retailers in the $200-$300 price range are down 20-30 percent while items priced $400-$500 plus [like dydson vacuums] are down 50 percent and even more.  For an average of about 30.  It's logically consistent that the higher the cost of luxury goods/items in an industry, the larger its sales decline in a bad economy.  People trade down in hard times.  This minimizes the decline on the low priced luxury goods and maximizes the decline on the high priced luxury goods.    If you read Tom Oreck's comments about ORECK sales in 2008, he says the same but in different words.  Do you have evidence to disprove this?

BTW, there is a HUGE difference between $1. BILLION and $1.5 BILLION in yearly sales.  Let alone for today!

Carmine D.

... This too is my understanding.

It seems I was off by $278m.  I stand corrected...  $1.22b vice $1.5b.        DIB

Dyson hoovers up as profits jump

Turnover at Dyson James, parent company of the Dyson vacuum cleaner maker, hit £611m in the year ending December 2007, a £100m increase on the previous year, according to latest accounts.

Sales soared as the Wiltshire-based company cleaned up in international markets and it is investing its way through the downturn...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3469159/Dyson-hoovers-up-as-profits-jump.html
This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #16   Jan 20, 2009 7:03 am
Hello DIB:

Like I said, I recall the article.  It's for 2007, and the reason I asked you what period of time for the $1.5 BILLION dyson sales bantering.  It has no bearing on 2008, let alone "today,"  and the article doesn't state any dyson sales amount for 2007 [either in US dollars/British pounds].  Hence, my question to you.  Still no answer.  I conclude $1.5/1.22 BILLION [whatever the sales number for the day] is untenable.  It may be correct for some period of time in the past, present, or future.  As of "today", you've provided no support that states so.  If my conclusion is erroneous, please provide proof.

When you posted this article some months back, I made the following comments and will here again:

• dyson costs increased in 2007 over 2006 by 20 percent [huge increase during a worldwide recession]
  • dyson dividends in 2006 of 30 million british pounds were decreased in 2007 to 1 million [huge decrease]
  • dyson hired 500 new employees in 2007 raising the total to 2203 [a 30 percent increase in staff during a global recession when companies and employees are being downsized]
  • James took a 60 percent decrease in pay from 2007 to 2006 as did family members in the business 

These 2007 financial/business indicators bode ominously on dyson operations especially with a world wide global meltdown [to use your word].  As I suggested at the time and will here again, the actions in bullets 2 and 4 are the reasons for the sugar coated dyson financial results for 2007.  Without these, year over year results would look as bad as they actually were.  2008 is worse.  2009?  Who knows?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #17   Jan 20, 2009 11:38 am
Maybe the Dyson could be improved if they could put a bag on it so you wouldn't have to expose yourself to all that particulant (sp) matter.

All kidding aside though Trebor, WHY would the Independent dealer come back to Dyson if they are still going to be lowballed by QVC, ReFurbs, Ebayer's and Internet Coewboys etc? It's not JUST the BBS. The economic situation we are going in actually might be a BOON for the indies as people are going to want to repair rather than discard and the ones that bought cheap bagless chinojunk are tired of replacing them every year and a half.

If they do decide to go back after the Indie, they MUST give them at least a $50 margin better than the aformentioned retailers, not the other way around.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42