Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tomas21

Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Original Message   Jan 2, 2009 5:20 pm
Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners Hello,

I'm looking for a solid vacuum for cleaning carpets and hardwood floors. Which one of these would be recommended?

Hoover® WindTunnel™ Anniversary Edition Self-Propelled Bagged Upright

$159.00

Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System

$249.00
Replies: 3 - 12 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
tomas21

Re: Hoover WindTunnel versus Kenmore Progressive Vacuum cleaners
Reply #3   Jan 17, 2009 1:47 am
Carmine, how does that 10' hose attach to the vacuum since it looks slightly different.  Does it replace the existing or attach to make the existing even longer?

Where is the best place to buy ext hoses?

Thanks
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jan 17, 2009 7:33 am
Hello Tom:

The 10 foot hose extension connects to the existing hose.  HOOVER is probably the best source but unfortunately all the local stores closed/are in the process of closing.  May want to call HOOVER directly and inquire.  Costs about $20 plus.  Be patient when you navigate through the telephone directory.  Response is sometimes slow.  Hope you are enjoying your new SP WT.  Here's the web site. 

http://www.hoover.com/

Here is another Web site and option which I may have already posted:

http://www.vacuumpartstore.com/howisepr10ho.html

This site is for a company that advertises on the side banner here.  It appears that the company, and I make no warranties and/or claims about it, sells large quantities of genuine HOOVER parts.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #5   Jan 17, 2009 4:24 pm
I'd say to go with the Kenmore hands down.  It is made by Panasonic, a company known for quality products.  Hoover is now owned by the same people who own Dirt Devil and they are infamous for loud cheap products of dreadful quality (save the Royal All metal uprights...).  The S/P Windtunnel was around 300 dollars when it first came out (as was the Kenmore Progressive Drect Drive)... look how much the Hoover has depreciated!  It has TWO belts (one for the transmission and another V belt for the brushroll, which will quite often eat into the brushroll over time).  The Kenmore has NO belts at all, and will be much quieter than the Hoover.  The bare floor control will be in the handle on the Kenmore.  Because of the transmission, the Hoover will be quite jerky (and even more heavy and loud).  The Kenmore will run smooth, and though not self propelled, the brushroll will help to move it foward.  I dare to say the Kenmore will last longer than the Hoover... I see LOTS of S/P WindTunnels in the thrift shops when I look for vacuums... usually with the height adjust, barefloor control sliders, and attachment cover all broken off.  I used to sell both of these machines when I worked for Sears... I'd say if you want quality and ease of use to get the Kenmore.  If you something cheap, the Hoover.  The best advice is to try both machines out side by side and see what you think of them.  Unless they have changed since I sold them, the Kenmores have a brushroll with FOUR rows of very thick bristles that clean deeply.  They also have rubber around the wheels which will be a lot nicer than the plastic on the Hoover for bare floors. 

Please do let us know what you think of whichever machine you choose! 
CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Hi Bobby:

Tom said earlier that after reading the reviews on both vacuums, and considering the price difference, he was going with the H-WT-SP.  I glanced through the reviews quickly after Tom posted, and noted that indeed HOOVER fared much better than the Progressive.  If I recall this particular HOOVER Anniversary model comes with a 3 year warranty and extra bags.  And if you match the features of both, they are comparable with the edge going to HOOVER for the self-propel feature. 

BTW, I was in COSTCO last week or so.  And looked at the vacuums and noted this HOOVER model is the one COSTCO is carrying and pushing to the exclusion of all others.  It gets the prominence in location and with the number in inventory.  I looked it over quickly, and for the $150, it has to be the best upright on the market for sale now save the $60 HOOVER TEMPO [which COSTCO doesn't carry].  Add the 10 foot extension hose for $20 and filtrette paper/cloths and you can't go wrong with the purchase.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2009 12:06 am
He said he thought he would go with the WindTunnel... he didn't say he'd already decided for sure.  It certainly is cheaper, but I still stay that the Kenmore is a better quality machine!
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jan 18, 2009 7:06 am
Hello Bobby:

You're right, Tom didn't say for sure. 

The lower price [$150 for the HOOVER vice $250 for the SEARS] in concert with the 3 year warranty [vice one year for the SEARS] are THE reasons I recommend it.  I am impressed that this HOOVER model carries a 3 year warranty, not one year like the SEARS Progressive.  Plus, 7 out of 8 reviews by COSTCO buyers for this model speak highly about it [Tom's point].  Tom provided the link with the reviews.  Since the HOOVER is a new Anniversary model [100 years Edition] and just added to the COSTCO sales venue for the 2008 Holiday sales season, there are not alot of product reviews as with the SEARS Progressive. 

The SEARS Progressive upright price dropped from $350 to $250 during the Holiday sales season.  It can't go lower than $200-$250 because of middle man costs/profits since Pano makes these uprights for SEARS under the Progressive name.  If Tom were so inclined, he would be better served price wise to shop/buy at local vacuum stores who carry the Pano upright line rather than SEARS.  After market parts and service availability would probably be better at local vacuum stores with the Pano line than SEARS.

I'm curious to see what Consumer Reports does with its testing and ratings for uprights on the next go round [March 2009].  The HOOVER WT/SP [TTI Floorcare and China made] has a decent chance to unseat the SEARS Progressive in the number one spot.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by CarmineD
tomas21

Reply #9   Jan 19, 2009 12:13 am
Thanks for all of your feedback and comments.  After reviewing both Vacuums in person we like the WT a lot better than the Kenmore.  The WT does have rubber on it's rear wheels but it still left slight marks on our hardwood floors, so it looks like I'll only be using a Bona duster for the floors.  The carpets look great and the propelled is much appreciated by the wife.

I'll be ordering this 10ft ext to hopefully be able to reach the ceiling fan without tipping over the vacuum.

Thanks !
This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by tomas21
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jan 19, 2009 7:09 am
Tom:

Congrats on the purchase.  Keep in mind too the 3M filtrette bags for this model especially if you/your family members are bothered by allergies and sinuses.  Also, I believe a tool is made for HOOVER attachments specifically for vacuuming ceiling fans.  May want to check it out.

As I mentioned, I believe this particular HOOVER WT SP [TTI Floorcare] has the potential for unseating the SEARS Progressive for the number one spot by Consumer Reports.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

tomas21

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2009 3:41 pm
For a couple more bucks can get the 20' ext here although I may call Hoover just to confirm part no etc.

Link
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by tomas21
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm
Hi Tom:

Not a bad idea if you don't mind storing the longer hose.

Carmine D.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42