Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 482 - 491 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #482   Jan 16, 2009 10:12 pm
Hoover's Hygienisacs pre-dated the Handi-Sacs by over a decade:

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
CarmineD

Reply #483   Jan 16, 2009 10:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Thanks Model2.  It's a real stunner.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Among other things, it claimed to be an excellent hair dryer for women.  Maybe that's where dyson got the the idea for the Airblade

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #484   Jan 16, 2009 10:18 pm
Model2 wrote:
Hoover's Hygienisacs pre-dated the Handi-Sacs by over a decade:

In all my years of the business [1949-1992] I never saw a hygiensac paper in use on any HOOVER upright [probably because it was an option and additional expense, not standard equipment].  Tho, I did see the advertisements, envelopes, and boxes that the bags came in.  All the HOOVER models of this vintage always came with the straight cloth bags.  Starting in the 1950's and after many were converted by vacuum stores to the replacement zipper with disposable F&G bags, as I mentioned with the Handi-sacs.  The hygiensacs were consumer duds just like the handi-sacs that followed.  Not HOOVER's finest hour by any means.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #485   Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Among other things, it claimed to be an excellent hair dryer for women.  Maybe that's where dyson got the the idea for the Airblade

Carmine D.

The concept's really quite amusing, especially the notion that sticking the plastic handle through the open door of a gas-oven to obtain warmth was a good idea!

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #486   Jan 17, 2009 5:20 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

Please take a look at the following link -- http://www.137.com/museum/airway.htm

You will be led to an image of one of the ealiest innovation in electric vacuum cleaners.  It is the Air-Way upright vacuum that I mentioned in an earlier post. I believe.  This Air-Way vacuum originally began with just a straight suction nozzle but all, the way back in the late 1920s somebody got the idea to make what had to be the first electric power nozzle.

This idea did not seem to validate itself until the very latter 1950s.  Imagine an Electrolux XXX or Hoover Aerodyne tank-type fitted with one of these.  Then again  . . . To everything there is a season  . . .

In the nearer past Hoover produced a PN for am series of canisters that that allowed you to lowerr an actual brush strip for cleaning bare floors. They also supplied for one stick vac model.  'Tis true I -- I owned one.

Someone please correct me if my memory has failed but I believe circa 1970-something Panasonic canisters used a plastic blade on its PNs. 

Plastic or rubber blades in in the past 50 years in general have usually only been used for "squeegee" tools meant to remove fluids from hard flooring.  Pardon my presumptuousness, but the standard for hard floor cleaning has been either natural or synthetic bristle used to compose brush strips intended to aid vacuum cleaning hard flooring.  In my opinion, plain old plastic strips tend to moreso push whatever is loose on a dry floor that dislodge adherent matter as well as a for real brush strips do.

Venson

Venson,

Do you see the similarities?        DIB

Venson

Reply #487   Jan 17, 2009 5:33 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Venson,

Do you see the similarities?        DIB

Hi DIB,

Of course I noted the similarities even though the Air-Way was on the market way before Lord Dyson was born.  Did you notice that no one is suing Dyson?

Best,

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #488   Jan 18, 2009 3:24 am
Venson,

Implying Dyson is lawsuit happy?...
Sir James has never sued anyone that did not have it comin.  It’s a beautiful thing when the little guy is protected by laws and that these laws and fair minded juries can bring wealthy thieving bullies to their knees.

Dyson sees value whereas his competitors do not...
If the Airway had any design or utility patent protection on this nozzle, the patent[s] would of expired around 1945.   Typical of the innovative lazy manufacturers... they dismiss good ideas (see no value in the old Airway nozzle) whereas Dyson resurrects it, improves it, applies it in a different way, proves an untapped market and proves it to be a money maker.  And only then do the lazy make their somewhat-steerable's, which turn out to be based on 1930's technologies.  Pathetic.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #489   Jan 18, 2009 6:18 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Venson,

Implying Dyson is lawsuit happy?...
Sir James has never sued anyone that did not have it comin.  It’s a beautiful thing when the little guy is protected by laws and that these laws and fair minded juries can bring wealthy thieving bullies to their knees.

Dyson sees value whereas his competitors do not...
If the Airway had any design or utility patent protection on this nozzle, the patent[s] would of expired around 1945.   Typical of the innovative lazy manufacturers... they dismiss good ideas (see no value in the old Airway nozzle) whereas Dyson resurrects it, improves it, applies it in a different way, proves an untapped market and proves it to be a money maker.  And only then do the lazy make their somewhat-steerable's, which turn out to be based on 1930's technologies.  Pathetic.

DIB

DIB, come on already.  I was just teasing you a bit.  HOWEVER . . .

I do think Dyson -- especially in light of recent reports claiming the company is attempting to bring others like LG to court for product that isn't even on the market yet -- may well be lawsuit happy.  As well, may I ask how can Dyson be worth the 1.5 billion dollars you estimate and still be "the little guy" in court?  Anyway . . .

In the instance of the Air-Way it isn't about Dyson who, by the way also produces "non-steerables".  It's all about Air-Way.  Thinking selling jargon, the Air-Way apparently was the first "two-motor system" vacuum and, if you will, the first maker of a "power nozzle".  As earlier mentioned, I am surprised that adaptations and, pardon the pun, new spins didn't catch on much earlier in the game despite the Hoover sent mentioned in an earlier post.  Though a separate device of some advantage, a good number of years passed before we saw Electrolux or the maker of Sears and Whirlpool vacuums provide canisters with practical power nozzles and even years more for two-motor clean-air uprights to show up.  And there's been a definite advantage in both.

I hardly see many of what I view as illustrious vacuum makers as lazy.  Electrolux lazy?  This is the company whose attachment design made best use of little old 500 watt or less motors.  Was the company also lazy when it came up with that little but very sophisticated mechanical device that shut the machine off when the bag was full?  The components weren't much.  Just a rubber diaphragm, a little tubing and a lever. Anyone could have thought of it I guess.

In past, vacuum companies that wanted to succeed strove to develop product that was set apart from what the next guy made.  That is how we ended up with Hoovers, Rexairs, Compacts, Eurekas, Electroluxes, Filter Queens, Air-ways, Whirlpool/Kenmores, Kirbys, Bisons and countless other brands.

If in current times times there is evidence of laziness it is due to the greater desire to rake in cash than make good product.  Dyson is probably just as guilty of this as any other vacuum manufacturer.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #490   Jan 19, 2009 7:52 am
As well, may I ask how can Dyson be worth the 1.5 billion dollars you estimate and still be "the little guy" in court? 

Hi Venson:

As I recall, dyson wasn't the little guy in the legal case with Kenneth J., an engineering student, over the owner of the rights to a ball wheel facilitator.  Kenneth J. patented the invention over 10 years before dyson's DC15.  Dyson employed a high powered NY law firm with 3 names, in 3 piece suits and all 3 present.  In addition to a cadre of in-house dyson lawyers.  The dyson legal representation occupied all the seats in the hearing room.  Kenneth J. lost on a technicality.  But won, I believe, and still winning in the courts of street justice.

James should have, as the proverbial little guy advocate, given Kenneth J. a dyson job, and made the patent for his newly hired employee retroactive.  It would have cost dyson alot less.  And a fair compromise for both parties.  Of course, the NY lawyers probably bill out at $10,000 an hour each not counting expenses.  Had to cost dyson a small fortune to win that case, bearly.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #491   Jan 20, 2009 1:44 am
Model2 wrote:
Hi DIB,

the Airway vacuum I refer to doesn't ride on a roller or a ball; in comparing it to the Slim, I referred to more general similarities between the two machines:

• they both have rear wheels for stability which aren't used when vacuuming - the Slims retract automatically, the Air-Ways are clear of the floor when you're holding it for use
  • they're both slim-profile, lightweight uprights
  • the Air-Way rides on a floorhead which has two wheels, meaning it is possible to steer the cleaner more easily than a conventional, 4-wheeled upright. The swivel-neck means the cleaner can be turned on its side for doing underneath low furniture
  • they both have change-over valves which divert suction down the handle for 'above-floor' cleaning - the Air-Ways being a round celluloid dial you turn manually; the Dysons being automatic. The Air-Way has a wide, hollow handle, which you can affix a hose to for 'above floor' cleaning
  • stylistically the floorhead on the Slim is VERY reminiscent of the one used on the Air-Way twin-motor models

The biggest difference between the Airway and the Slim is that Airway introduced disposable bags, and Dyson introduced a system which made them obsolete! When I first saw the Slim, my impression was that the Dyson designers and engineers had looked at the innovative Air-Way, and updated it for the new millennium, taking its overall design and features and making them more user-friendly. Here's a set of pictures of my Air-Way 'Fleetwood Special':

Model2,

Thanks for your scans, links and sharing of history.  I'd like to hear more of the Air-Way v. Hoover someday.  Surely Dyson would prefer to be completely original, when he can and if he can.  Below is a carpet washer patent that uses a supporting assembly too.  The DC18 roller is pure genius, who would of thought a tiny roller could make a this vacuum turn as well as it does.        DIB

Replies: 482 - 491 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42