Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The New Dyson DC27 Upright!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Original Message   Jan 6, 2009 5:45 pm
Having another topic mentioned some new vax machines on a Littlewoods website, I had a look around to see what else might be new and came across the 'new' Dyson DC27 Upright, see link below:

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/s.do?Np=1&Ns=&Ntk=littlewoods_search&Ntt=dyson&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=this_product&pageSize=12&Nao=0&cmEvent=page_navigation

They have 2 Models on their website 'Animal' and 'All Floors', first look suggests an update version of the US DC17 but for the UK\Europe markets.  This will be the replacement for the popular DC14.  I thought a separate motor for the brush bar like the DC17 would have been standard, but looks like it uses the DC04\DC07\DC14 clutch setup!   Not sure as the website doesn't say if it just has a slim root cyclone technology or the core is included!   It does look like it has more small cyclones than the current DC14 and DC15 and DC25 models.  See picture of DC27 All Floors model below!  DC18

+DC27+All+floors++upright+clea... 

Replies: 35 - 44 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Reply #35   Jan 13, 2009 6:56 am
While I agree with many of the convincing arguments offered, I'm with Venson.  If the ball is all that then why in the USA does a DC25 have an MSRP of $499 and the latest wheeled dyson DC27 [bread and butter machine] retail for $479.  And even more confusing an old wheeled DC17 is $549!  Doesn't make sense to Venson and I.  Conflicting signals from the vacuum maker as to which IS the top of the line model.  Your best and most desirable model, whether or not the hoi polloi want and buy, should be the most expensive [not by $20].  A bread and butter machine should be priced much lower for the hoi polloi [not by $20].  Not that dyson ever follows the industry norms and standards.  I opine that the reasons are not as maverick as some here suggest.  If dyson can't get the 10 percent of its loyal repeat customers to go from a wheel [old fashioned] to a ball [the supposed best in technology for steering and manueverability, even with a same/lower MSRP than the wheeled vacuum], dyson won't get the other 90 percent of its past customers either.  They'll buy another brand.

While comments here say dyson's DC24 [3rd generation in steering/manueverabity considering DC18] is a step in the right direction, Consumer Reports [October 2008] rates lower than the worse ever rated dyson DC15 ball.  Getting a Poor in tool suction and Fair in pet hair pick up.  And CR's initial comments on the DC25, not yet reviewed and rated, are not very promising.  Recall my friend here DIB, a professed ball technology advocate and herald, paid only $300 for a DC15 ball.  If THE one here carrying the dyson ball technology banner won't pay MSRP for the latest and greatest dyson technology, who then?  IMHO, that's the crux of the reason for a wheeled DC27 at $479.  All ball dysons, DC24/DC25 included, will be scrubbed in a few years.  Same fate as ball wheel barrows.

Welcome aboard Model2.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #36   Jan 13, 2009 9:17 am
Now if it was priced within reason, lets face it 400.00 plus for a cheaply made better than none of the rest  overhyped mis marketed,  does not clean any better than an bissel upright for 69.95,.then we might have something here........

If your inclined to buy a dyson,go to E-BAY  i know they are sold at cost and sometimes lower,the market is saturated with these,do yourself a favor and save yourself 100 to 200 hundred off M.S.R.P. Trust me the DEALERS are hurting and will do anything to unload machines.ALL BETS ARE OFF its a eat or be eaten economy,the strong will survive,

The next step for DYSON will be direct door to door sales, just like KIRBY, of course the pricing will be all over the board.

Dont be a sucker[no pun intended].........

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #37   Jan 13, 2009 1:31 pm
3/2005 new technology introduced (in UK) @ $499 >
12/2008 Oreck is hyping to be Dyson-like  @ $799 >
This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #38   Jan 13, 2009 1:48 pm
Almost right, DIB.  ORECK is offering a New Year's special on the XL Platinum in 2 colors for $599 with free shipping and a year's supply of bags.  I just might trade my ORECK XL Classic for this new ORECK, which BTW Consumer Reports rates in the top 10 in October 2008.  As my Jewish Aunt would say:  Such a deal!
Choose a Color: Blue Red
Price: $799.95 $599.95
payments as low as $40.91/mo.
Shipping: FREE!
Top Features
  • SPECIAL OFFER: Save $200!
  • Get an 8-pack of vacuum bags FREE!
  • 10 year warranty
  • 10 FREE annual tune-ups
    (a $400 value!) learn more
  • Advanced HEPA filtration
  • Comfort fit Helping Hand® Handle with 2-speed settings
  • Advanced sound-dampening technology
  • 5-lb. Ultimate Handheld Vacuum
    compare handhelds

The Oreck XL® Vacuum locks dust and dirt in the bag, and your whole family will breathe easier with an Oreck clean home.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #39   Jan 13, 2009 2:01 pm
Carmine,

Per the Oreck commercial and before the economy crisis.  Oreck's  t.v. commercial hyped/conned Americans by selling their tired vacuum as a - Dyson-kinda-like steerable.  Selling @ $799.  DIB

This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #40   Jan 13, 2009 2:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
While I agree with many of the convincing arguments offered, I'm with Venson.  If the ball is all that then why in the USA does a DC25 have an MSRP of $499 and the latest wheeled dyson DC27 [bread and butter machine] retail for $479.  And even more confusing an old wheeled DC17 is $549!  Doesn't make sense to Venson and I.  Conflicting signals from the vacuum maker as to which IS the top of the line model.  Your best and most desirable model, whether or not the hoi polloi want and buy, should be the most expensive [not by $20].  A bread and butter machine should be priced much lower for the hoi polloi [not by $20].  Not that dyson ever follows the industry norms and standards.  I opine that the reasons are not as maverick as some here suggest.  If dyson can't get the 10 percent of its loyal repeat customers to go from a wheel [old fashioned] to a ball [the supposed best in technology for steering and manueverability, even with a same/lower MSRP than the wheeled vacuum], dyson won't get the other 90 percent of its past customers either.  They'll buy another brand.

While comments here say dyson's DC24 [3rd generation in steering/manueverabity considering DC18] is a step in the right direction, Consumer Reports [October 2008] rates lower than the worse ever rated dyson DC15 ball.  Getting a Poor in tool suction and Fair in pet hair pick up.  And CR's initial comments on the DC25, not yet reviewed and rated, are not very promising.  Recall my friend here DIB, a professed ball technology advocate and herald, paid only $300 for a DC15 ball.  If THE one here carrying the dyson ball technology banner won't pay MSRP for the latest and greatest dyson technology, who then?  IMHO, that's the crux of the reason for a wheeled DC27 at $479.  All ball dysons, DC24/DC25 included, will be scrubbed in a few years.  Same fate as ball wheel barrows.

Welcome aboard Model2.  

Carmine D.

Hi again - thanks for the welcome, CarmineD and DIB!

I'm interested in the disparity between the US Consumer Reports rating, and the EU equivalent, Which? Magazine's ratings of Dyson machines. When the Dyson DC01 and DC02  first came out, Which? were very positive about them, until the brand's poor reliability began to become apparent in consumer surveys. For years after that, while Dyson machines performed consistantly well in testing, Which? refused bestow them with their 'Best Buy' recommendation. However, once Dyson introduced the standard 5-year guarantee, Which? announced they no longer had a problem recommending Dyson.

As you can see from this April 2007 report, out of the 5 'Best Buy' uprights, 4 of them are Dyson models. Only the Sebo Felix ranks alongside them for cleaning ability. To quote their results for the DC14 '...our results showed top-notch scores all round.' An overview of high-scoring models on the previous page states of the DC14 All Floors, 'This Dyson is the carpet king, combining excellent dust pick-up with top-notch filtration.'

I can't understand why Consumer Report rates them so poorly, and Which? rates them so highly. Unfortunately, not being a subscriber to Which? I haven't seen any test results for Dyson upright or canister models later than these ones, so I couldn't comment on their opinion of the DC24, DC25 etc. I have a DC24, which does a respectable job for such a compact, lightweight cleaner.

Coincidentally, in this test, the Oreck XL7, the most expensive machine tested (retailing at £449 - £170 more than the most expensive Dyson) achieved an overall score of just 51%.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
CarmineD

Reply #41   Jan 13, 2009 2:11 pm
Hi Guys:

My opinion on consumer magazine rankings and ratings:  You're only as good as your latest ranking and score.  And even then, it's a subjective guide.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #42   Jan 13, 2009 2:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Guys:

My opinion on consumer magazine rankings and ratings:  You're only as good as your latest ranking and score. 

Carmine D.

Since the test was conducted, the DC15 and DC18 have been discontinued in favour of the DC24 and DC25. I'll try and find out how they scored, and get back to you.

The DC14 Origin and All Floors have come down in price, and gained an extra 20aw of power. If anything, they're now better sales prospects than when they were tested!

This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by Model2

Model2

Reply #43   Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Guys:

My opinion on consumer magazine rankings and ratings:  You're only as good as your latest ranking and score.  And even then, it's a subjective guide.

Carmine D.

Oddly, you didn't mention the fact that it's a 'subjective guide' earlier, when you said:

'While comments here say dyson's DC24 [3rd generation in steering/manueverabity considering DC18] is a step in the right direction, Consumer Reports [October 2008] rates lower than the worse ever rated dyson DC15 ball.  Getting a Poor in tool suction and Fair in pet hair pick up.  And CR's initial comments on the DC25, not yet reviewed and rated, are not very promising.'

So is a Consumer Report score 'admissible evidence' or not?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #44   Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm
Model2,

I always enjoy hearing from the UK, especially when information is presented accurately.  Does Which Magazine rely on hand outs (free money) to survive as does Consumer Reports?  If my memory is correct, I believe Consumer Reports takes in million[s] of dollars in free hand outs annually.  Neither do they pay any sort of income tax, yet they still come up million[s] short every year.  CR is a bias rag when they can get away with it.  CR does not publish the names of individuals or corporations who “donate” monies.

Does Which Magazine ever talk of the benefits of Dyson’s filtration vice bag filtration?  CR refuses to compare Dyson filtration or its benefits against bag filtration.  This is a disservice to their paying customers and those who believe CR’s statements of being non-bias.

DIB

Replies: 35 - 44 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42