Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 452 - 461 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #452   Jan 11, 2009 2:36 pm
Thanks Moose, good stuff written.

Here is a lengthy video interview of James Dyson.  He voices his concerns for Britain's lack of innovation and mentions many who have already moved their entire engineering and manufacturing operations offshore.

http://cmypitch.com   click > entrepreneurTV.  Registration required.

Carmine,

MSNBC (host) recently said Walmart shareholders “Wanted the head of CEO Lee Scott” until he expanded (i.e. made shareholders money) into international markets.  Unlike Lee Scott, James Dyson’s job does not depend on or answer to a mob (i.e. shareholders).

Moose mentions Dyson paying well, certainly Walmart’s Chinese manufacturers during same timeframe paid only $1- $3 per day. - Fitting for a place where life is cheap. - Fitting for a Walmart shareholder and fitting for the Walmart suits whose livelihood and *future success depend on mob/shareholder approval.

DIB

*If to join another company.
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #453   Jan 11, 2009 8:44 pm
"The slightly crazy thing about Dyson deciding to move production to Malaysia, is if they'd simply built from there at the very beginning, it would have been a complete and utter non-issue."

Hi M00seUK:

It's not the outsourcing by dyson that's troublesome for the Brits.  It's the high prices for the Malaysian made dysons compared to the UK made, IMHO.  I bought a new DC07 pink for $250 made in Malaysia [with a 5 year warranty].  And $45 went to the Susan G. Komen Cancer Foundation.  I wouldn't pay more since it's made in southeast Asia.  Similarly, US buyers had problems paying $500 for the infamous halo made in China.   If German made, sure.  But Chinese made, no can do.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #454   Jan 12, 2009 7:17 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Moose mentions Dyson paying well, certainly Walmart’s Chinese manufacturers during same timeframe paid only $1- $3 per day. - Fitting for a place where life is cheap. -

I suspect your China pay data is 2-3 years old.  Using it, if you convert the daily dollars to China yuan which is about 7 to the $1.00 [based on Friday exchange rates, January 9, 2009] 7-21 yuan per day, 630 per month, and 7600 per year.  Probably pretty good for factory workers in China today.  BTW, the Malaysian ringgit is half the value of the China yuan to the dollar [3.46] and has incurred huge decreases YTD including the new year so far with a 2.6 percent drop.  Does dyson adjust its Malaysia contractor's workers' pay upward when the value of the ringgit falls?  This would be a nice "bennie" especially since the Malaysia government recently rescinded the mandated tax subsidies which artificially kept workers' wages inflated by almost 40 percent for many years.  I suspect to attract foreign investment and business.

FWIW, President Clinton signed a full scale trade agreement with China during his second term after both Presidents Nixon [1971] and Carter [1979] lead the way by opening trade lines.  With the China trade agreement, which is still in place, all the powers that be by the world trade countries [including the USA] can be brought to bear on China for trade violations including labor abuses.  W*M was instrumental in President Clinton's trip to China and his trade actions.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #455   Jan 12, 2009 3:11 pm
Carmine,

You made no mention of not one (of many) Walmart abuses I posted nor did you defend them.

You have many negative opinions and many unsubstantiated claims of Dyson...  What say you of many factual and documented Walmart abuses?  When the brain damage woman was sued relentlessly by Walmart was this an abuse or was it "just business"?  How many stockholders at any given stockholder meetings stand up and question this or any of the other Walmart abuses?  Or do they keep quite and believe "it's only business"?

Since you insisted in making a Walmart v. Dyson debate here is what the average [Walmart] Chinese worker was paid in 2002...   $.57 per hr (linked below).  Not to mention the squaller these workers live in near their employment nor their many other hardships.  Certainly Dyson paid his factory workers far more in this same year and previous years (1993-2002).  Dyson factory operators worked 4 days on 4 days off in 12 hr. shifts and were well paid (per Moose).

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/08/art3full.pdf

DIB
This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #456   Jan 12, 2009 4:20 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Since you insisted in making a Walmart v. Dyson debate here DIB

Firstly. let me say it is not a debate about these two companies at all.  The debate [to use your word above] is with you about the logic you apply to these companies.  Specifically [yet again]:  It is logically inconsistent for you to condemn Wal*Mart for outsourcing jobs to Asia and then cast praise on dyson for outsourcing jobs to south east Asia.  If it's wrong for one, it's just as wrong for the other.  Failure to understand the logic/point after repeated attempts is obtuse.  

Secondly, dyson news is far more interesting to me than Wal*Mart.  I can't recall the last time I made a purchase there.  Has to be months ago.  And I believe I bought some florescent light bulbs to replace the bad ones in the light fixtures for my garage.  So I would not be in the dark.  If only it were that easy and simple for you.

P.S.  I'm not sure you actually read the links you provide here [I have doubts] but the one about Chinese workers' compensation [40 pages] is not only dated [2002], but  I can read/find no connection/mention/reference to any American companies and businesses by name let alone Wal*Mart as you said.  Would you mind posting/excerpting the specific reference to Wal*Mart/Chinese pay data for $.57 per hour in 2002.   Thanks, DIB.

DysonInventsBig wrote:

....here is what the average [Walmart] Chinese worker was paid in 2002...   $.57 per hr (linked below).  Not to mention the squaller these workers live in near their employment nor their many other hardships. 

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/08/art3full.pdf

DIB

Carmine D.  

This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #457   Jan 13, 2009 3:38 pm
I loved the DC18 Slim, but was baffled when Dyson choose to put a stiff wiper blade under the power nozzle.  Creating an new category - lightweight, highly maneuverable category only to place MUCH drag via a wiper blade.

Which Magazine 5/2007 published the same [negative] experience (cropped from a Model2 posted image).  This so-called "wiper blade drag" is worse (harder to push) on American carpeting and was avoidable (a poor design), bottom line...  it unnecessarily hurt hurt Slim sales and/or users expectations (IMO).     DIB

This message was modified Jan 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #458   Jan 13, 2009 3:51 pm
DIB,

I'm interested by what you say, because I have a DC18  Slim All Floors +Allergy, and I've never found it heavy to push on carpet. In fact, it's my favourite incarnation of Dyson's steerable line yet. I think it's a great shame they dropped it from the line-up so quickly. The DC24 may be even lighter and more compact, but I prefer the roller on the Slim to the Ball. It offers all the same benefits, with the additional advantage of allowing the cleaner to have a lower profile for cleaning under furniture, etc. The DC18 is nearly twice as powerful, and offers a longer hose and better dusting tools.

I guess the sales drawback between the two systems is that the big, brightly coloured Ball immediately stands out to potential buyers and catches their attention, whereas the roller is hidden from view under the cleaner.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #459   Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm
I love the DC18 Slim to and I too think it was dropped from the line up too quickly!   Just to pickup ont he 'Which' Report, Dyson always gets commented in Which about the length of cable on their uprights.  I see the bin capacity was mentioned to.  The only reason the bin is not bigger is due to the position of the main motor.  It is vertical on the DC18 setup!  I think this made the handle feel heavy!   The only draw backs I had about the DC18 was the brushbar\roll was not the best, lack of brush turfs although I found performance to be very good.  Like Which I would have liked to see the bin capacity be slightly bigger!

The steering on the DC18 I felt was different to the 'true' ball Dyson vacs.  I should have remained in the lineup, you got the same power\performance as the bigger\heavy Dyson Upright be in a lighter slimmer package!  Bring back the DC18 and the DC03! 

DC18

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #460   Jan 13, 2009 6:21 pm
I was never keen on the DC03's performance (poor brush-roll, only 90aw), although it holds the distinction of being the only Dyson upright so far to be able to lie flat for cleaning under furniture. Nice quiet, lightweight cleaners, though, and very pleasant to use.

If there's one thing I'd like to see Dyson working on, it's their brush-rolls. I like the ones in the DC07 and DC14 Origin models - round cross-section, and stiffer bristles than the clutch-control models. I find they do a far better job of cleaning than the cork-screw version. 

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #461   Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm
Model2 wrote:
DIB,

I'm interested by what you say, because I have a DC18  Slim All Floors +Allergy, and I've never found it heavy to push on carpet. In fact, it's my favourite incarnation of Dyson's steerable line yet. I think it's a great shame they dropped it from the line-up so quickly. The DC24 may be even lighter and more compact, but I prefer the roller on the Slim to the Ball. It offers all the same benefits, with the additional advantage of allowing the cleaner to have a lower profile for cleaning under furniture, etc. The DC18 is nearly twice as powerful, and offers a longer hose and better dusting tools.

I guess the sales drawback between the two systems is that the big, brightly coloured Ball immediately stands out to potential buyers and catches their attention, whereas the roller is hidden from view under the cleaner.

... That's been my view too and for some time.

re: blade drag
 I do not own a DC18 and only experimented with one at my home for a little while. The blade simply does what it is designed to do, that is... scrape. On my Berber carpet it was noticeable and measurable. With the vacuum running and with the blade removed the vacuum measured about 1/2 of a pound easier to push/pull (if I remember correctly). In my opinion this COULD OF been easily avoided (engineered better) and when Which Magazine announces - the Slim feels "heavy"  ...is this the kind of publicity Dyson wants from a [powerful and popular] consumer magazine?

I believe the Slim is Dyson's most creative, only because I have never seen anything that predates/is similar to this ball set up. I have seen ball canisters in the patent office and ball toys and Sir James said the Ball Barrow was a DC15 inspiration, etc., but I've never seen a ball/Slim set up before I learned of the DC18.  I was terribly disappointed with the build on the DC21 - great idea, poor execution.  I need to ice my wrist after vacuuming.  Our housekeeper hates my DC21 and reminds me of it every time I pull it out.   :)

DIB

Replies: 452 - 461 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42