Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The New Dyson DC27 Upright!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Original Message   Jan 6, 2009 5:45 pm
Having another topic mentioned some new vax machines on a Littlewoods website, I had a look around to see what else might be new and came across the 'new' Dyson DC27 Upright, see link below:

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/s.do?Np=1&Ns=&Ntk=littlewoods_search&Ntt=dyson&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=this_product&pageSize=12&Nao=0&cmEvent=page_navigation

They have 2 Models on their website 'Animal' and 'All Floors', first look suggests an update version of the US DC17 but for the UK\Europe markets.  This will be the replacement for the popular DC14.  I thought a separate motor for the brush bar like the DC17 would have been standard, but looks like it uses the DC04\DC07\DC14 clutch setup!   Not sure as the website doesn't say if it just has a slim root cyclone technology or the core is included!   It does look like it has more small cyclones than the current DC14 and DC15 and DC25 models.  See picture of DC27 All Floors model below!  DC18

+DC27+All+floors++upright+clea... 

Replies: 23 - 32 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Reply #23   Jan 11, 2009 7:11 am
Trilobite wrote:

It seems that Dyson technology advances two steps forward and one step back again. That DC27 (UK model) looks particularly uninspiring; what is it with Dyson's love of that clutch???

I haven't seen a DC27 up close and personal, so this comment/observation is strictly "speculative" to use other posters' term.   Dyson's latest DC27 appears to be a hodge podge of other models [save the ball].  Yes, it appears to have the infamous dyson clutch.  Why do seemingly acclaimed brilliant inventors/designers [who run their own companies] do this?  Perhaps......at the end of the model[s] production run[s], they take all the excess inventory of unused parts and components, put them all together, add a new model number, jack up the MSRP, and voila the inventory parts problem is solved.  In the auto industry, they call it 'limited edition.'

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Jan 11, 2009 2:58 pm
There is nothing wrong (obvious) with a Dyson clutch, it's doing what it is designed to to.  The amount of downforce on the brushroll is the problem. Miele answered this delima (S7) with an air-bleed or speed control (I do not remember which was used).

floating nozzles.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #25   Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
There is nothing wrong (obvious) with a Dyson clutch, it's doing what it is designed to to.  The amount of downforce on the brushroll is the problem. Miele answered this delima (S7) with an air-bleed or speed control (I do not remember which was used).

floating nozzles.

DIB
Hi DIB,

Miele's top-of-the-line power nozzle solves the problem by offering several height adjustments as all vacuums should have.  Speed adjustments can also help fine-tune matters.  The S7 upright series has a floating brushroll - not a floating nozzle.  As well, all have an on the money electric shut-off that switches off the brushroll motor.  It's all a matter of a flick finger on the handle grip -- no stooping to get at a reset button --  to start either a canister's PN or the uprights up again should they stall.

My question would be since the Ball is supposed to be Dyson's piecs de resistance, why is the company still fooling around with its old design.  By the way the nozzle on the ball "floats".

Venson
DC18

Reply #26   Jan 11, 2009 4:38 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I don't blame you; I've had that feeling for some time.

It seems that Dyson technology advances two steps forward and one step back again. That DC27 (UK model) looks particularly uninspiring; what is it with Dyson's love of that clutch???

I was in a low-cost shop recently. They had non-name pattern belts for various uprights, Dysons included. What I found interesting was that there were belts for the DC03; a cleaner that has that clutch system; employing supposedly lifetime belts.

Thats one of my concerns!  You could look at the DC27 (UK) as an updated DC14!  From looking at the first pictures a few improvements over the DC14!  After all the DC14 and the replacement DC27 is Dyson's main 'bread & butter' model (as we call it!), which is more popular overall!  So to make major changes could effect this base model.  The main 'basic' design of the cleaner head has not changed since it was introduced on the DC04, each model after having design changes made like the air vents at the back of the soleplate on the DC07!   After all the DC14 was introduced after issues from the DC07 hence the lower height on the bin and cyclone setup giving a better lower centre of gravity for carrying the vacuum.

I would have liked the DC17 setup on the DC27 in the UK, by that I mean a separate motor for the brush bar\roll.  After all the cleaning head is more or less the same as the DC17!  Also the use of Level 3\Core technology as well.  Who knows may be the DC27 is just an interim model and Dyson is working on something completely new!!  I believe each Dyson model (the full range for that model) product lifecycle is about 5 years!  Be interesting to see what benefits the DC27 has over the DC14!

DC18

DC18

Reply #27   Jan 11, 2009 4:48 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

floating nozzles.

DIB

I've never had any issues with the clutch setup on any of my Dyson's since it was introduced on the DC03.  It was welcomed in the UK when it first appeared on the DC03 as the DC01 didn't ever have this setup!

It can be a job to bend down and turn the dial to switch off\on the brush bar\roll, you can so I've see use your foot to do this!  This was mainly marketed by Dyson when the DC07 came to the US. 

DC18

Trilobite

Reply #28   Jan 11, 2009 5:48 pm
Venson wrote:
My question would be since the Ball is supposed to be Dyson's piecs de resistance, why is the company still fooling around with its old design. 
Venson

Quite.

DC18 wrote"Be interesting to see what benefits the DC27 has over the DC14!"

Not bloody much by the look of things!

DC18

Reply #29   Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm
Trilobite wrote:
Quite.

DC18 wrote"Be interesting to see what benefits the DC27 has over the DC14!"

Not bloody much by the look of things!

One thing I'm interested to know is why the UK version has the same cleaning head as the DC17\DC27 US when it's clean the clutch system is being used and not a separate motor for the brush bar\roll!  Or does it have similar brush bar\roll as the DC15\DC18\DC25 ones used!?  Not sure if this would work with the clutch setup!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #30   Jan 11, 2009 7:08 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

floating nozzles.

DIB

Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

Miele's top-of-the-line power nozzle solves the problem by offering several height adjustments as all vacuums should have.  Speed adjustments can also help fine-tune matters.  The S7 upright series has a floating brushroll - not a floating nozzle.  As well, all have an on the money electric shut-off that switches off the brushroll motor.  It's all a matter of a flick finger on the handle grip -- no stooping to get at a reset button --  to start either a canister's PN or the uprights up again should they stall.

My question would be since the Ball is supposed to be Dyson's piecs de resistance, why is the company still fooling around with its old design.  By the way the nozzle on the ball "floats".

Venson

Venson,

It is a good question.  Airblade commented that although many liked the DC15, it was determined to be somewhat heavy/felt heavy to turn.  IMO, until a “full sized” Ball/steerable can be made to feel light and/or come in at the “right” price point the non-steerable’s will remain.

Yes, the S7 or Oreck’s and alike do not float per say.  Yet, mechanically they pull themselves (@ the nozzle opening) into carpeting just like the floating Dyson.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #31   Jan 11, 2009 9:08 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Venson,

It is a good question.  Airblade commented that although many liked the DC15, it was determined to be somewhat heavy/felt heavy to turn.  IMO, until a “full sized” Ball/steerable can be made to feel light and/or come in at the “right” price point the non-steerable’s will remain.

Yes, the S7 or Oreck’s and alike do not float per say.  Yet, mechanically they pull themselves (@ the nozzle opening) into carpeting identically just like the floating Dyson.

DIB

Hi guys, new member here!

I'd suggest another reason for Dyson continuing with a wheeled cleaner in the model line-up is that there will always be a section of the market, particularly buyers 'of a certain age', who are put off by seemingly 'over-complicated' technology. It's hard enough to get these people to 'say goodbye to the bag' at all, after they've been used to traditional machines for so many years. Even if you can get them to consider a Dyson, the Ball, and the totally new style of cleaning it brings, is probably a step too far. They'll retreat into their familiar comfort zone and go for much the same type of cleaner they've always bought before .

As long as these consumers exist - as well as sceptics who look at the Ball, and the wheel retraction system and think, 'That's going to break in 5 seconds...' - there will be a market for a basic machine. From what I can see, the DC27 takes all the best features from the previous wheeled upright models and combines them in an updated, improved package.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Jan 12, 2009 3:43 pm
Model2 wrote:
Hi guys, new member here!

I'd suggest another reason for Dyson continuing with a wheeled cleaner in the model line-up is that there will always be a section of the market, particularly buyers 'of a certain age', who are put off by seemingly 'over-complicated' technology. It's hard enough to get these people to 'say goodbye to the bag' at all, after they've been used to traditional machines for so many years. Even if you can get them to consider a Dyson, the Ball, and the totally new style of cleaning it brings, is probably a step too far. They'll retreat into their familiar comfort zone and go for much the same type of cleaner they've always bought before .

As long as these consumers exist - as well as sceptics who look at the Ball, and the wheel retraction system and think, 'That's going to break in 5 seconds...' - there will be a market for a basic machine. From what I can see, the DC27 takes all the best features from the previous wheeled upright models and combines them in an updated, improved package.

Welcome.

I believe the DC27 looks to be Dyson’s best [clutch] vacuum, no doubt.  It is good looking too.

Point well made.  Just how many are put off, only Dyson and alike would know.  I was somewhat surprised when an “up in age” woman called into HSN to give her testimonial.  She lived (had to move to) Arizona for it’s cleaner air, etc. and was dependent on supplemental oxygen (and it sounded so)... boy oh boy she went on and on of her love for her DC18.

Oreck is trying to hype or promote it ability to steer or almost.  Below is a pic from a recent t.v. commercial.

DIB

Replies: 23 - 32 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42