Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Next New Industry Product/Feature

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Next New Industry Product/Feature
Original Message   Dec 6, 2008 7:23 pm
Much is posted here about vacuum innovations both real/hyped [i.e. halo].  This current decade has produced advancements in technology [filtrete paper bags] and innovations in the vacuum industry:  i.e. robotic vacuum sweepers, bagless vacuums, steerable vacuums with ball wheels, and a MIELE upright.   I'm sure there are others worthy of mention too.

Question:  What is the next most wanted/needed vacuum innovation/feature?  I say it's a cordless vacuum with a decent run time and the cleaning power of a full size.  There are some decent attempts along the way:  Westinghouse, TTI/HOOVER.  What do others think?

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Re: Next New Industry Product/Feature
Reply #1   Dec 7, 2008 1:35 am
I think the concept of brush roll agitation should be replaced altogether with something completely different. I would like a design that doesn't put wear on carpet, and produces little to no noise.
Venson

Reply #2   Dec 7, 2008 11:31 am
Hi,

There are lots of possibilities as the world changes.  With the coming of Wi-Tricity -- electricity produced by magnetic resonance that does away with the need for cords and plugs -- many appliances may be able to run without batteries or external wiring.   I would make note that thought the idea is great I have heard little about safety.  There are strong complaints already about the safety of cell phones.

I can't think of any practical AND affordable methods to agitate carpet fibers that might serve the purpose as well as the revolving mechanism we have already seen in so many forms.  Vibrators like those used in Eureka's Vibra-Beat canister rug nozzles made a lot of noise but did little good.  I think someone here at the forum posted a patent sketch of a vacuum meant to use a static charge to coax dirt out of carpeting.  It's an interesting idea but I can't imagine how it would be contained to prevent dirt and lint from being attracted to external part of the device.  I also can't imagine the power or action requirement to generate a charge strong enough to loosen and rout dirt  equivalent to less complicated methods already in place.

Beyond the "incredible science" aspect, the great innovations would probably be those we may never have because manufacturers couldn't necessarily cash in on them.

One -- owner repairable vacuums.  There are just a few vacuums in existence that allow for easy removal of motors and other components come time for replacement.  A large part of vacuums made today qualify as disposable and machines purported to offer long use do no better as it is usually a must that they be either returned or taken to a shop to be repaired if need be.  Vacuums and other appliances that are user repairable would call for factory outlets -- hello Hoover -- or something of the like to make fixing it yourself a convenient alternative.  Back in the day,  you could drop a check or money order and a manufacturer provided order form in the mail and Lewyt, Electrolux, Filter Queen and countless others mailed you dust bags, parts and reasonably priced options.  How should this be difficult now in a world email and credit cards.

Unless manfacturing becomes serious about brushless motors, it would also be great if electric motors, as we know them now, were made more modular in form so that things like carbon brushes might be popped out and popped back in again easily.  How about a sensor in the cleaner that would alert users that a change of motor brushes was in line?  And how about making it all affordable?

Two -- bagless improvement.  Why not a larger compartmentalized dust collection system?  Instead of allowing dust to have to sit and collect in the heart of cyclonic action where its increase degrades the process, why not have it be spun off into a separate holding area where it does not interfere with air action and allows users less frequent  emptying.

Ideology hand in hand with the purse strings?  Seldom the twain shall meet.  Nonetheless (this one's for you Cat Lady), there is a need for innovation that could help everyone enjoy a modicum of convenience in life yet the trend is to cripple the average buyer not only by with the "cost of innovation" but also the cost of maintaining it.

Venson
This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by Venson
mole

Reply #3   Dec 7, 2008 12:25 pm
Venson wrote:

Ideology hand in hand with the purse strings?  Seldom the twain shall meet.  Nonetheless (this one's for you Cat Lady), there is a need for innovation that could help everyone enjoy a modicum of convenience in life yet the trend is to cripple the average buyer not only by with the "cost of innovation" but also the cost of maintaining it.

Venson

How about some honest costs per useage and back end life expectancy charts,with real maintaineance and filter costs,HOW TO USE IT RIGHT,what you really need to know BEFORE the consumer makes a purchase,I for one tell my customers before hand what this stuff costs[filters,bags,hoses brushes,motors etc,then i let them decide if they still want to buy as we say TOP END ,TOP SHELF,MACHINES,another thing should be the manufactures warranty on the box or in the manual,and who what and where can it be serviced.

There are too manyt grey areas in this industry,Such as i'm sorry your warranty is VOIDED because you used a BOJACK non oem manufactures bag in your cleaner,or you did not origional equipment authorized parts,THIS IS NONSENSE, because the parts come out of the same factories,

Do you really think miele makes their own bags?????????

MOLE

Does any one here know who johnson controls are.............

Venson

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2008 12:59 pm
mole wrote:
How about some honest costs per useage and back end life expectancy charts,with real maintaineance and filter costs,HOW TO USE IT RIGHT,what you really need to know BEFORE the consumer makes a purchase,I for one tell my customers before hand what this stuff costs[filters,bags,hoses brushes,motors etc,then i let them decide if they still want to buy as we say TOP END ,TOP SHELF,MACHINES,another thing should be the manufactures warranty on the box or in the manual,and who what and where can it be serviced. . . .

MOLE

Does any one here know who johnson controls are.............

Hiya MOLE,

I am glad to hear that you're making it a point to inform your customers.  Wish more shops were doing the same.  It's my feeling that the more I'm told up front, the more I'm encouraged to buy.  I hate surprises.

It is always the consumer's choice as to what is acceptable pricewise but I staunchly believe you can get people to go for spending more by simply telling them more.  American are not necessarily pinch-pennies.  We buy just about anything.

As for bags, filters, etc., in past companies like Electrolux did, for good reason caution customers not to use other than genuine bags and parts.  The multi-ply dustbags actually did enhance the performace of its machines.  Cheaper single-ply bags, though great for the pocketbook, clogged up much faster.  However, what is strongly in question is price.  It's not about who makes them, especially if they excel in purpose but how much they cost.  A HEPA filter is a definite enhancement but should it cost only ten bucks or $50.00 or more to replace one?  Should a single Miele high-filtration bag cost three bucks?  If someone can convince me that, necessary mark-up included,  the prices on such ittems are realistic I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Best,

Venson

PS:  Maybe this is what you're looking for -- http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/about.html
CarmineD

Reply #5   Dec 10, 2008 6:56 am
The trend in future vacuums has to be lighter, smaller, easer to store with tools on board, better exhaust air filtration and filter dust bags.  Lower profiles for under furniture usage to avoid the need for tool conversion.  Yes, headlights on the better models.  Longer cords/winders.  Bagless will be for the hand and stick venues.  Bagless possibly commercial vacuums too.  

Carmine D.

RAD1

Reply #6   Dec 10, 2008 8:52 am
Not to "change" the subject, but Miele Bags for $3-4 ea. is not expensive in my eyes. For what the bag filters, let alone how much junk they can hold, it's worth it.
Venson

Reply #7   Dec 10, 2008 11:12 am
RAD1 wrote:
Not to "change" the subject, but Miele Bags for $3-4 ea. is not expensive in my eyes. For what the bag filters, let alone how much junk they can hold, it's worth it.

How much does it cost to make one and deliver it to a vendor?  By the way, nothing I ever sold could cost too much.

Venson
This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by Venson
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #8   Dec 10, 2008 11:51 am
Noise reduction is an area in need of improvement on many vacuums.  The goal should be a nearly silent vacuum.  I really don't mind a cord on a vacuum - provided the cord is of reasonably good length.   Weight reduction and reductions in "effective" weight are needed as well.  

With the many different types of carpeting, offering the ability to change out brush rolls (softer/stiffer) depending on carpet type might be a plus.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #9   Dec 10, 2008 12:44 pm
Severus wrote:

With the many different types of carpeting, offering the ability to change out brush rolls (softer/stiffer) depending on carpet type might be a plus.

Hi Severus,

I think Electrolux did offer brush roll options for its PNs many years ago but abondoned the idea.  I can only assume that the offering didn't produce a big enough return for the company to feel it was worth the effort and I'd wonder if there is enough of the public interested in the like now.

Just to check my self out, I looked up info re fine carpet care and the seller still recommends straight-suction vacuum cleaning.  http://antiquerugco.com/services/maintenance.asp

Best,

Venson
Trebor

Reply #10   Jan 17, 2009 5:14 pm
Back in the heyday for Canisters, when wall to wall carpet was no more than 1/2" deep, several brands had very good performance with straight suction nozzles, Filter Queen, Compact, Airway and Rexair heading the list. Once power nozzles came into existence, straight suction technology was pretty much abandoned for carpet cleaning. We won't know what could be done to improve straight airflow cleaning until we attempt it. Look on YouTube for a video entitled "When is a vacuum cleaner not a vacuum cleaner?" The unit depicted is supposed to be based on something new: A.R.C.-Air Recycling Technology. Also check out www.scabel.com for in the works technology and www.everythingusb.com for a keyboard vac that plugs into a usb port.

All great truths begin as heresies

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42