Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best vacuum for low - medium loop pile carpet??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
dcontis

Best vacuum for low - medium loop pile carpet??
Original Message   Nov 16, 2008 10:58 pm
My wife and I finally finished to remodel / update our house.

We went with a loop pile carpet. However I am starting to realize that our
old Hoover WT with his rotating brush is not adapted to this type our carpet.

So far it seems we need a "suction only" vacuum cleaner. Is this correct?

If so, which vacuum cleaner (upright or canister) should we go with?
Oreck? Riccar? Hoover?

Thanks - Didier.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dcontis

Re: Best vacuum for low - medium loop pile carpet??
Reply #5   Nov 17, 2008 11:39 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Didier,

"Suction only" means making use of canister vacuum with a straight suction rug tool or an upright vacuum with its brush roll turned off. I have only heard of this recommendation for cleaning very old museum quality and/or expensive "oriental" carpets. If your new carpeting is standard broadloom installed wall-to-wall its care is best served by either an upright or canister vacuum with a revolving brush.

Venson and all,

Thanks for your reply.

My wife and I found the following comments on some sites like Amazon ->
http://tinyurl.com/5dhdah

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=41167

Hard to say, but after reading this I thought I would ask. Our carpet is not exactly berber but definitely wall-to-wall loop carpet
in multiple rooms of our 2nd story.

Thanks - Didier.

Thanks again for all these info.
This message was modified Nov 17, 2008 by dcontis
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #6   Nov 18, 2008 12:57 am
The reason for this is that Dyson, and many other cheaper uprights have brushrolls that are too aggressive on the carpet.  Most of the higher end machines were designed to clean well, but not damage even delicate carpets.   Of course there are some very delicate Oriental rugs that you shouldn't use a brushroll on, but all modern wall to wall carpets can be brushroll vacuumed.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Nov 18, 2008 7:16 am
Hello Didier, Vacuuman:

My looped pile wall to wall carpets are Mohawk.  And I have berber area rugs throughout the house.  I bought and tried a dyson upright DC07 pink but to no avail.  I identify with the link you posted.  I noticed too that the rug nap [new carpets]  wrapped around the brush bar and constantly caused the clutch shut-off ratcheting noise.  An indication that the brush bar stopped by the clutch.  The dyson Help Line was not much help.

My home builder and flooring subcontractor warned all the home owners in a September 21, 2006 meeting against using dyson vacuums and recommended HOOVER models.  [Unfortunately I bought this dyson on a Labor Day Sale 2006 at a local TARGET store several weeks before the home meeting.  I didn't want to return it, as the dyson Help Line recommended, because dyson contributed $45 of the purchase price to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.]

One reason for the HOOVER preference and recommendation is the rug height adjustment which is not on any dyson upright vacuums.  With the height adjustment the user can manually set the rug nozzle from falling down into the rug.  On dyson models, with no height adjustment, the brush nozzle falls down into the rug.  The user can't push and pull the vacuum.  Brush bar on dysons get mired down in the rug pile and this causes rug damage.  With dyson models like the DC07 and DC14, the clutch shuts off the brush bar/roll making the ratcheting noise.  This feature is no longer used on dyson uprights.

You're right on all the risks of buying the halo upright, Vacuuman.  My reason for recommending halo uprights are the rug bugs and mites.  We know now from scientific research that brush roll action kills the mites and bugs.  As does the halo UV-C light.  Straight suction alone will not kill the rug bugs.  Another reason, Didier, for having brush roll action on looped carpets.  The ORECK uprights [recommended by the Carpet and Rug Institute on all carpets] and halo uprights, due to their light weights, maneuver well on higher carpeting even without the rug height adjustment.  Why?  Light weight brush nozzles heads.  The prices on halos are way down from their MSRP.  All halos still around during the 2008 Holiday Sales will be sold at bargain basement prices.  Less than $179 with free shipping and tools on board.  But like you said Vacuuman, it's risky!

I am currently using the HOOVER TEMPO upright for $70.  It has a brush roll, rug height adjustment, a bare floor adjustment, and with tools on board weighs only 16 pounds.  It works perfectly on all my carpets:  Mohawk wool medium looped and berber.  BTW, a local retailer of rugs and carpets gifts a HOOVER TEMPO away to buyers who purchase wall to wall carpets.  It has for many years.

I also have and used the ORECK Classic XL.  It weighs 8 pounds.  ORECK has worked wonderfully on all my carpets and floors since April 2007.  I'd recommend either/both without reservations. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #8   Nov 18, 2008 9:05 am
Hi Didier,

I would say that your application calls for a upright with the following features,double helix brush roll [no beater bars] Bypass twin motors one dedicated for the suction,one just for the brushroll, A geared toothed geared belt,with auto shutoff if something stalls the brush, The timing belt sends the same signal to the brush no under revving or over revving,top load easy change bags filtrete if desired, very easy to use and maintain by the user, a company thats in the vacuum business and dont sell vacuums as a sideline.

That being said,look at the following machines,SEBO felix,SEBOx4, Aerus/Electrolux prolux uprights,pro team xp15, sanitaire sc785 upright, LINDHAUS activa series,all the mentioned machines will give you 15 to 18 years of service,with maybe 2 tune ups during that period, all the machines will groom and clean your looped carpeting and keep them looking nice.

Hope this helps

MOLE

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #9   Nov 18, 2008 1:13 pm
Carmine... you suggested the Hoover Tempo.  Would that not have the same brushroll as Diddler's current WindTunnel?  Seems to be in WindTunnel form factor... even if it doesn't have the "dual" (or now "triple") WindTunnel suction chambers....
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #10   Nov 18, 2008 1:15 pm
Carmine... you suggested the Hoover Tempo.  Would that not have the same brushroll as Diddler's current WindTunnel?  Seems to be in WindTunnel form factor... even if it doesn't have the "dual" (or now "triple") WindTunnel suction chambers....
CarmineD

Reply #11   Nov 18, 2008 1:15 pm
Hello MOLE, Vacuuman:

The vacuum recomendations you suggested to Didier for his rug cleaning needs are the top of line and the best made and sold on the market today.  And they will all do well and last a long time.  It's really his own personal wants and needs that have to met and those of any user beside himself who will be vacuuming too.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 18, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 18, 2008 1:57 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Carmine... you suggested the Hoover Tempo.  Would that not have the same brushroll as Didier's current WindTunnel?  Seems to be in WindTunnel form factor... even if it doesn't have the "dual" (or now "triple") WindTunnel suction chambers....

Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Yes, you're right.  The traditional HOOVER TEMPO, Catalina blue, under the tutelage of MAYTAG and Whirlpool, and the HOOVER WT use the same brush roll.  I've encountered the latest HOOVER TEMPO, white, and a TTI Floorcare product, which uses a different brush roll than the earlier TEMPO's and WT.  Almost identical to the EUREKA brush rolls in the Whirlwind models.  My preference is the traditional HOOVER brush roll like the WT and earlier TEMPO models. 

I suggest the HOOVER TEMPO over the WT because its lighter than the traditional HOOVER WT but in all other respects is the same.  And it's less expensive.  I had the WT Supreme for several years, not self-propel, and it weighs in at 20 pounds.  TEMPO weighs in at 16 lbs, almost worthy of the lightweight division, which is all the rage now.  The HOOVER WT SP tips the scale at 25 lbs.  Of the 3, if I were inclined to buy from a big box retailer, I'd take the TEMPO.  If I had the druthers and others, I go with one of the recommendations by Vacuuman, Venson, and/or MOLE.  They are in business and they know the best of the best from all of the rest.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 18, 2008 by CarmineD
dcontis

Reply #13   Nov 18, 2008 10:57 pm
Thanks to everyone for all these info. This is definitely useful.

To Carmine -> actually my wife and I had thought initially about a Miele
canister (being European) with a power brush attachment, until I start
to read more about loop carpet and vacuum.

To Mole-> I am intrigued by the Sanitaire sc785.

While not as light and inexpensive as a Hoover Tempo, the price point makes it interesting
compared to the other more expensive option. 

Thanks - Didier
CarmineD

Reply #14   Nov 19, 2008 6:46 am
dcontis wrote:
To Carmine -> actually my wife and I had thought initially about a Miele
canister (being European) with a power brush attachment, until I start
to read more about loop carpet and vacuum.

Thanks - Didier

Hello Didier:

Meine Frau ist aus Deutschland, Bad Homburg.  Miele makes excellent vacuums.  Top of the line.  They last 20 years for their owners/users and then are handed down to family members and loved ones.  Recently Miele launched an upright line called the S7 series, also made in Germany.  There is a thread here devoted to the new Miele upright vacuums.  Worth a look see.

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/discussions/27129-0-1.html

If you look under the "Reviews" tab on this page you'll find several recent commentaries posted by users about the new Miele uprights.  I haven't seen it and scoped out in person yet but it's on my "to do" list.

Here is another useful source of vacuum information and recommendations from the Carpet and Rug Institute.  Note that many of the vacuums recommended to you here, like HOOVER, ORECK, RICCAR, SIMPLICITY, EUREKA/ELECTROLUX are also recommended by CRI and receive the CRI seal of approval.

http://www.carpet-rug.org/residential-customers/cleaning-and-maintenance/seal-of-approval-products/soa-gl-vacuum-list.cfm

Good luck and keep us posted on your vacuum progress and purchase.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42