Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 327 - 336 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #327   Nov 5, 2008 5:21 pm
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Lest your historical source be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  

I presume, not sure so I asked, that you are making a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Concluding that this is proof of their sales popularity/success.  This suggests that you, based on thieves' actions and motives, impute intrinsic value to dyson vacuums as marketable commodities.  They're vacuums, not works of art.  My thoughts on the matter are that dyson vacuums are overpriced.  And the thieves [especially those who are caught on surveillance cameras] are not very bright. 

I have a rhetorical corollary question to your hypothesis.  If thieves who steal dysons are not too bright then what does one conclude about the people who buy them?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #328   Nov 5, 2008 5:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Must be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  The EUREKA Whirlwind bagless used a clear dirt bin long before dysons hit the USA.  In fact, with yellow/black [depending on the model] bin components [same as your fave brand].  Perhaps your unnamed source is too young to remember?  Or too old, and forgot?

Here's my thoughts about motivations [thieves aside].  You posted on several occasions here about dyson thefts as did Matt mmc Airblade.  I presume, but not sure so I asked, to make a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Somehow presuming that is proof for their popularity and success.  I have difficulty with an extrapolation that is based on thieves' actions and motives: That dyson vacuum thefts are tied to intrinsic value of them as commodities.  They're vacuums.  The only underlying point for their pilferage is that they are overpriced.  And thieves [especially those caught on surveillance cameras] are not too bright.

Carmine D.

Hello Carmine,

In you are professional opinion, the clear low efficiency bin that's on 50% of all vacuums sold today are based on the Eureka Whirlwind and not on the success of Dyson's discoveries and popularity?

Overpriced is an opinion, being  so-called "overpriced" is not reason enough to steal Dyson's. Demand for his technology is.

Below is a link to a husband and wife team who advertise and/or auction Dyson's on eBay, get an order, go to Target and steal the vacuum/s, only to drive directly to UPS to ship the stolen vacuums.  Something some say here is not happening.  Watch for the video clip too.
http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=a212ce44-acef-41cb-807b-eaaf9d6b54f6

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #329   Nov 5, 2008 6:04 pm
Hi DIB:

Clear bagless dirt bins are based on practicality:  Wanting to see the dirt inside the bin to know when to dump.  Nothing to do with whose first and who copied whom. 

I see your point now.  Let me paraphrase:  Thieves steal dyson vacuums because they understand the underlying value of dyson technology [intrinsic is the word I used] and want to profit by it.  It's not the fact that dysons are overpriced and the thieves are not very bright.  

I disagree with you.  Vacuum thieves could care less about innovation, root technology, shrouds and clear bins.  You may care and want to impute your feelings into their motives.  Then further conclude that their actions are proof of dyson's success and popuIarity.  I find it all laughable.  Sadly, you don't.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #330   Nov 5, 2008 7:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sight glass in a dirt bin?  Never heard of it.  Any proof forthcoming?  Perhaps a model name/number?  Lest your historical source be confused with the clear soft plastic on the Lewyt Speed Saks from the 50's.  

I presume, not sure so I asked, that you are making a point that even among thieves dysons are in demand.  Concluding that this is proof of their sales popularity/success.  This suggests that you, based on thieves' actions and motives, impute intrinsic value to dyson vacuums as marketable commodities.  They're vacuums, not works of art.  My thoughts on the matter are that dyson vacuums are overpriced.  And the thieves [especially those who are caught on surveillance cameras] are not very bright. 

I have a rhetorical corollary question to your hypothesis.  If thieves who steal dysons are not too bright then what does one conclude about the people who buy them?

Carmine D.

Actually the thieves are brighter than you Carmine.  If you had a shovel and a lawn mower in your yard do you think the thief would take the shovel and leave the mower.  Most thieves are buying for a hasty resale.

Now do I steal a $59 Hoover and get $10 for taking the chance or do I stesl a $400 Dyson and sell it for $50 to $100.

Persons buying Dysons have a superior intelligence to those buying electric brooms.

CarmineD

Reply #331   Nov 6, 2008 6:01 am
Hello HARDSELL/DIB:

I beg to differ with you HS.  If the vacuum thieves had superior intelligence and were bright, as you say, they would figure out a way to take $50 vacuums and sell them for $400.   Not the other way around.  James did the former.   He's bright.  He does it legally.  Very good marketing and cheap [Mal] ASIAN  labor.  

The thieves in these stories are doing the latter.  Stealing $400 plus vacuums with all the risks and legal consequences to sell for $50 to $100 [your prices].  Probably asking prices.  More like $25-$50 cash in these hard economic times, if and when the thieves can find buyers.  Especially with the dyson refurb market legally pricing for $150 plus on the Internet.  The risk now legally is not worth the little reward.   Especially for vacuums!  No resale/entertainment value!   

Sorry dyson campers, I don't impute/conclude any esoteric motives and meanings to the vacuum thefts as you like to do.  To me, just stupidity and the gullibility of the thieves who are also duped by all the hawking/hyping to risk life and limb for chump change. 

Here's my conclusions on the thefts:  James Dyson has single handedly spawned a brand new criminal enterprise in fenced dysons by selling overpriced vacuums in big box retail stores.  What is he/dyson doing to preempt the pilferage?  Surely, a smart man and company with billions will not let itself be outwitted by a few dumb desperate felons.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL wrote:

Actually the thieves are brighter than you Carmine.  If you had a shovel and a lawn mower in your yard do you think the thief would take the shovel and leave the mower.  Most thieves are buying for a hasty resale.
Actually, my friend you're not [very bright].  Here's a true answer to your question.  Think....I live in the desert.  Grass doesn't grow in the desert.  There's no rain/water.  My yard is sand, rock, and stones.  I don't own a lawnmower.  I own a shovel.  So, the thief by default would have to steal the shovel.  
This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #332   Nov 6, 2008 12:51 pm
Carmine,

Your unending attempts to re-define reality in the name of bad-mouthing Dyson the man, the company and products would be funny if you were not serious, but you are.  Slaving to Dyson envy and jealousy is not serving you well.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #333   Nov 6, 2008 1:52 pm
Hello DIB/HS

Back at you my friends.  It is what it is.  Sooner or later you'll take off your dyson color glasses and accept reality.  Ball models and DC18 are dead/dying.  Niche vacuum seller if it survives the current economic sunami.  Lagging/lackluster sales for this year compared to last and beyond into the foreseeable future.  Forbes list of billionaires for 2008 and beyond...your [DIB] fave measurement of business success .....I wouldn't bet the dyson Engineering High School after this year and this year is still an uncertainty.   Even with dyson as the primary source of the Forbes information. 

DIB:  When you upgrade your 3 year old DC15 ball model [you paid $300] with a new DC25, that you rave about so much, please let us know.  HS:  I've given up asking you when you will buy a new dyson.   There is a higher probably that I'll buy a second new dyson before you ever buy your very first.  And that I would bet the dyson Engineering High School on.  If in the highly unlikely case you were to buy a dyson before me, this is certainly the appropriate place to say.   It would be "NEWS."

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #334   Nov 6, 2008 5:38 pm
Hello DIB:

I believe Rainbow has been using a clear bin for a very long time - long before Dyson.  It is ridiculous to argue about a clear dirt container.  Clear containers have been used for food containers and other applications for years.  Who knows where James Dyson "stole" the idea for a clear container originated - it's irrelevant.  

James Dyson is trained as a graphics artist.  He accomplished 2 things - the no loss of suction dirt collection container, and he made a vacuum that has a unique trendy look.  His vacuums don't clean any better than other vacuums, because of design flaws unrelated to constant air flow.  When Dyson finds a cure for cancer, artificial limbs, an artificial heart/lungs, or cure for some other disease, perhaps the rest of us will hoist him up on your pedestal. 

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Hello DIB:

The first clear dirt bin I recall in the USA vacuum market goes to the EUREKA bagless Whirlwind.  I'm sure you'll say EUREKA copied dyson, which at the time was still a homegrown UK product.  Note now that EUREKA's latest Capture uprights use color tinted bins to accent the color schemes of the vacuums.  I like the latter better than the nasty clear bins.   Did dyson ever sue over the copying?

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
HARDSELL

Reply #335   Nov 6, 2008 7:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL/DIB:

I beg to differ with you HS.  If the vacuum thieves had superior intelligence and were bright, as you say, they would figure out a way to take $50 vacuums and sell them for $400.   Not the other way around.  James did the former.   He's bright.  He does it legally.  Very good marketing and cheap [Mal] ASIAN  labor.  

The thieves in these stories are doing the latter.  Stealing $400 plus vacuums with all the risks and legal consequences to sell for $50 to $100 [your prices].  Probably asking prices.  More like $25-$50 cash in these hard economic times, if and when the thieves can find buyers.  Especially with the dyson refurb market legally pricing for $150 plus on the Internet.  The risk now legally is not worth the little reward.   Especially for vacuums!  No resale/entertainment value!   

Sorry dyson campers, I don't impute/conclude any esoteric motives and meanings to the vacuum thefts as you like to do.  To me, just stupidity and the gullibility of the thieves who are also duped by all the hawking/hyping to risk life and limb for chump change. 

Here's my conclusions on the thefts:  James Dyson has single handedly spawned a brand new criminal enterprise in fenced dysons by selling overpriced vacuums in big box retail stores.  What is he/dyson doing to preempt the pilferage?  Surely, a smart man and company with billions will not let itself be outwitted by a few dumb desperate felons.

Carmine D.

Actually, my friend you're not [very bright].  Here's a true answer to your question.  Think....I live in the desert.  Grass doesn't grow in the desert.  There's no rain/water.  My yard is sand, rock, and stones.  I don't own a lawnmower.  I own a shovel.  So, the thief by default would have to steal the shovel.  

Actually Carmine there was never any doubt that you live under a rock.

CarmineD

Reply #336   Nov 7, 2008 6:48 am
Hello HARDSELL:

Correct my friend: The Rock of Ages!  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 327 - 336 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42