Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 205 - 214 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #205   Oct 27, 2008 6:53 am
Hello DC18:

From my observations and conclusions, it is a makeover to become more appealing to vacuum users of all ages: Young and old alike.  It still has its original trademark features: Simple, light, easy to use and store.  And lasts forever.

Carmine D.  

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #206   Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18:

From my observations and conclusions, it is a makeover to become more appealing to vacuum users of all ages: Young and old alike.  It still has its original trademark features: Simple, light, easy to use and store.  And lasts forever.

Carmine D.  

Hi Carmine,

Not meanning to be redundant, it may have already been mentioned that a truck load of popular vacuums have gone from "facelkift" to "facelift" for years with little significant change internally.  By the way, I checked out Kirby's site and noticed that  they're not bothering to show a complete image of the Sentria -- jus a picture of a salesman at the door with a big box -- maybe because it needs a new face too.

http://www.kirby.com

Venson.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #207   Oct 27, 2008 6:06 pm
Hello Venson:

Not redundant.  It is a real issue for the likes of Kirby, Royal, ORECK, Filter Queen, and others who pride themselves on their classic look, feel, and function.  How much change is enough but not too much to rattle/upset your customer base.  Like HOOVER with the WindTunnel and Constellation!  Classics that sell forever.

The Coke case of the 80's is a classic, no pun intended.  In the 80's Coke Classic had to re-invent itself and it went too far.  Their loyal drinking customers shunned it.  In no time, Coke management had to bring back the Classic formula and let it coexist with its new version.  Lesson learned.  Add new products.  Open new markets.  Lower the price.  Change the packaging.  But keep the tried and true trademark product intact.  ORECK has served Dave and his customer base well for over 45 years.  It's passed the test of time in good and bad times.  Why make wholesale changes and risk it all?  Especially in bad economic times like these.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #208   Oct 28, 2008 7:31 am
Hi Venson:

Thanks for the Site.  I like it.  How can one not?  An infant, obviously born with the Kirby gene, and the Kirby intro:

"For over 90 years, the Kirby Company has dedicated itself to perfecting just one product – a home care system based on founder Jim Kirby’s first vacuum cleaner design. Developed and constructed with state-of-the-art technology, our newest model, the SENTRIA™ system, carries on our tradition of Quality, Reliability and Performance."

And from the Sentria page you mentioned:

Cleaning takes on a whole new meaning with Kirby's Sentria® home care system and accessories. Designed to deep clean, protect and maintain the value of your home, a kirby vacuum is a leader in the industry that outlasts the competition every time.

Our own Jim Kirby, who unfortunately no longer reads and posts here, is a descendant of the Kirby founder.  He's pictured on the History page.  Jim favors him too in looks. 

IMHO, not showing the Sentria but talking it up pretty well is a subtle way for Kirby to convince the potential vacuum customer/reader to request a Kirby home demo.  If I do that, I'll buy one.  Kirby never made the move to lightweight plastic, which many in the industry thought it would do.  Kirby has stayed tried and true to the old fashioned die cast aluminum.  Use to be a lovely old lady in the Cleveland OHIO plant who balanced the aluminum fans for the Kirby motors.  Loved her job and Kirby!  BTW, so did the late great Stan Kann.

BTW, did you upgrade your computer?  I was able to click on the Web Site w/o copying and pasting.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 28, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #209   Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am
CarmineD wrote:

BTW, did you upgrade your computer?  I was able to click on the Web Site w/o copying and pasting.

Carmine D.

Hi,

No! The Miele "slimmed down" my computer budget big time.  I just learned to do something new (though it's been htere all the time).. 

If you type in the URL in your post, then highlight it and copy it , then click on the icon of the globe with the linked chain up top -- you get a dialogue box for setting up the link.  (Be sure you keep the URL you've entered highlighted.)  You paste in the URL you copied where shown inside the dialogue box and -- voila -- you've done it.  The link set-up isn't quite like doing the same in Microsoft Word but it only took a minute or two to get the hang of it.  It's easy. 

Anyway. . .  I'm sure you're right about the home demo enticement but personally I like to have some way of eyeballing the product before I commit to having someone in to do a demonstration.  (Gettin' 'em in is easy but gettin' 'em out again is something unbelievable.)

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #210   Oct 29, 2008 7:49 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Anyway. . .  I'm sure you're right about the home demo enticement but personally I like to have some way of eyeballing the product before I commit to having someone in to do a demonstration.  (Gettin' 'em in is easy but gettin' 'em out again is something unbelievable.)

Venson

Very true, especially for Kirby!
Actionvac

Reply #211   Oct 29, 2008 2:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Actionvac,

What are the diffferences in performance.

Thanks,

Venson

Hey Venson  it is a simple as it has the larger fan that moves a higher volume of air and a more aggresive but safe brushroll, and Carmine just went to the Miele s7 dinner last night  Diamond dealer get there first shipment thanksgiving others in December
CarmineD

Reply #212   Oct 30, 2008 7:05 am
Actionvac wrote:
Hey Venson  it is a simple as it has the larger fan that moves a higher volume of air and a more aggresive but safe brushroll, and Carmine just went to the Miele s7 dinner last night  Diamond dealer get there first shipment thanksgiving others in December

Hello again Actionvac and thank you:

Do you intend to post a review on the MIELE S7 here in the reviews section?

WRT the ORECK vice RICCAR/SIMPLICITY fans and breakage.  Are the latter more prone to breakage than the ORECK due to the larger size?  I've been told this by pros on both sides of these brands.  When HOOVER sourced the Ultra light to RICCAR, HOOVER pros told me fan breakage was a major issue for this model too.  Wondering if that is still the case.  Can you shed some light? 

Carmine D.

Actionvac

Reply #213   Oct 30, 2008 10:35 am
Carmine all direct air vacuums have fan breakage as opposed to bypass but are more efficient so a 4amp motor has more cleaning power than most 12 amp bypass type, the Riccar fans have a rubber material impregnated so very strong, at the factory they test with 150 1inch drywall screws and ball bearings, they had 1 batch of bad fans but now they test every batch, yes I will post on Miele vac
CarmineD

Reply #214   Oct 30, 2008 1:36 pm
My dear Wife picked up a quarter with the ORECK blindly vacuuming under the  hanging clothes in her closet.  She opined that the quarter fell out of her pants pockets when she hung up.  She heard it but didn't see it.  No damage to either.  I retrieved.  2 bits is 2 bits.

Looking forward to reading your S7 review.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 205 - 214 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42