Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 263 - 272 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Reply #263   Oct 25, 2008 4:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Carmine,

You do the rope-a-dope when you're put on the spot. I have never backed down from yours or Moles baiting. I like a challenge. Sometimes I have to think for a while before answering the “bait”. But I do answer. And sometimes I do not have the free time to answer the many statements, but I try to “go after” the most pertinent or something I have an answer to. Hey, you never answered my CR question of... Is Consumer Reports (w/ vacuum testing) Science, Laughable or both?  DIB

Hello DIB:

I've answered this particular question before on several vacuum Forums including this one.  Consumer Reports is one source and a very good starting place for persons shopping for a vacuum who have little/no knowledge of vacuums.  But, as always with CR and the information provided, consumers should verify and confirm the CR information with the vacuum cleaner industry experts and professionals: The independent vacuum cleaner store owners/operators.  CR is not the gospel for vacuums.  Industry professionals are the best source of definitive vacuum information.  That is my answer to this/your question.   If you have any insights to offer on your question, please do.  If so/not............................

Several question[s] for you [any others] to consider and answer, if you can/please.  My recent discussions with alot of big box store staffers WRT new dyson sales is that dyson sales are way way down.  

1. WRT dyson sales in the USA, are they up/down/same?
  2. What do you think are the reasons for all the new dyson sales declines that bb store staffers report to me?
  3. WRT future dyson sales here and abroad, will they get better/worse/stay the same?  And, why?

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Well lets hope you think twice before putting blind faith in and quoting the various CR’s dishonest and/or laughable claims (the Dyson shroud clogs as per you siting CR)

Telling a potential vacuum buyer to walk into a *bias environment and ask for a non-bias opinion is not an option.  Call it crazy, but how about CR doing what they claim they are already doing,..  being non-bias, smart and accurate, which they currently are not.

DIB

*Someone who’s livelihood depends on selling their line of product/s.

CarmineD

Reply #264   Oct 25, 2008 5:11 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Well lets hope you think twice before putting blind faith in and quoting the various CR’s dishonest and/or laughable claims (the Dyson shroud clogs as per you siting CR)

Telling a potential vacuum buyer to walk into a *bias environment and ask for a non-bias opinion is not an option.  Call it crazy, but how about CR doing what they claim they are already doing,..  being non-bias, smart and accurate, which they currently are not.

DIB

*Someone who’s livelihood depends on selling their line of product/s.

Hi back at you DIB:

As you recall Trilobite substantiated the dyson's shroud limitations for clogging and smelling from dirt, dander and pet hair with his own personal account here.  His solution: get a bagged vacuum and avoid the hassle.  Similar to the CR and medical profession's perspectives for allergy and asthma sufferers.

While CR is an excellent starting place, ultimately vacuum buyers end up at the indy-s for the best vacuums on the market.  Having had a successful vacuum business for 40 plus years, I put more faith and trust into vacuum customers to make good choices when given the facts and information to do so. 

To the extent that the best vacuum is a personal choice based on subjective factors too, there is an inherent bias in all of us for own particular needs, likes and budgeted amounts for vacuums.  Independent vacuum cleaner stores/businesses grow and prosper when they consistently match their customers/clientele with the right vacuums for them at the best possible prices.  And continue to serve their needs after the sales.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #265   Oct 26, 2008 10:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
DC24/25 are futile dyson attempts, almost 3 years after the DC15, to redesign/engineer the failed concept [ball steering/manuverabilty] into a product success.  I'm told DC18 sales are better than the new higher priced dyson ball models.  In fact, the DC18 has the end cap premier space at the BB store in NLV while the DC24/25 are relogated to the back isle.  Ironically the DC18  uses an elongated wheel very similar to the GE in the 1960's [which struck out] not a ball wheel like the newer dysons.

Speaking from our own stores sales, the DC24/25 have become our most popular (Dyson) units.  The wider stance of the 25 makes it far more stable when using the attachments and is usually the reason for the upgrade from the DC18. Where the DC18 was once our most popular machine and heavily inventoried we now only keep a couple in boxes at any given time.

End caps in stores are a funny thing.  The can be used to promote new and exciting or used to get rid of overstock and items the store is getting out of.  Having an item in prime real estate does not always mean it's more favorable. As an example (I know it's not a vacuum story but bear with me) Walmart had a flavor of jello that was discontinued...it sat on the shelf at 97 cents and didn't move at all.  It was moved to an end cap, the price  was increased to $1, it completely sold out in half a day. Inventory problem solved.  For the record, no, I did not sit in a Walmart all day and watch this happen.  My son is a manager and passed the story along.

Dusty
mole

Reply #266   Oct 26, 2008 11:43 am
Question for the VACUUM DEALERS.

Have you noticed a big drop off in customers asking questions about the DYSON brand?

Its been months since vacuum shoppers even ask us about it anymore.

Please only the true vacuum dealers reply,i dont need any biased company propoganda.

MOLE

dusty

Reply #267   Oct 26, 2008 12:37 pm
mole wrote:

Have you noticed a big drop off in customers asking questions about the DYSON brand?

Please only the true vacuum dealers reply,i dont need any biased company propoganda.

MOLE

Hi Mole,

For us, interest in Dyson is still quite high.  I would attribute this to the fact that the product is still relatively new in Canada and also we are one of the few independents to carry the product.  I'm always amused at the amount of people that stop in just to ask questions because they've seen the vacuums in the box stores but could never find anyone to help them.  I would imagine that as the years go by and people become familiar with the product it will take it's place in amongst all the other brands and there will be people that will always buy it and others that will never touch  one....just like every other brand of vacuum. 

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #268   Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm
mole wrote:

MOLE

I understand why you would rather have a biased dealers opinion.  Truth from a non dealer really hurts a few.

mole

Reply #269   Oct 26, 2008 3:44 pm
Dusty, thanks for your honest reply,i'm glad your hanging in there,you offer your customers product knowledge and service to back it up,Are you selling many dc series canisters?

H.S. i dont get the jist of your post,what are you trying to say?

Am i suppose to get all the retailers opinions? even from the sellers that no nothing about what they sell..........

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #270   Oct 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Hello Dusty:

Thanks for the end space description.  Dyson and other vacuum retailers pay for the BEST BUY end space ["cap" as it's called  and/or "premier retail space/prime real estate"] and dictate to the retailers what models to display in that space. 

As it was told to me, here's how BB gets around it.  BB uses the DC24 product label [not DC25] on the space and puts the DC18 in the space.  When and if a dyson rep comes in and notices, it's a: Sorry a customer must have just switched them out.  Most customers, save me, never question the difference, in part because dyson vacuum sales/interest year to date are way down at this BB store [and other retail stores around the country]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #271   Oct 26, 2008 5:52 pm
mole wrote:
Dusty, thanks for your honest reply,i'm glad your hanging in there,you offer your customers product knowledge and service to back it up,Are you selling many dc series canisters?

We have done well with the DC23's, they sell much better than the original DC21's simply because of the way they empty.  We carry both models in store but for the extra $50 the customer usually goes with the 23 every time.  As far as sales go, in the over $500 vacuum range, the Dyson canisters are second only to Riccar canisters for us.

Dusty
This message was modified Oct 26, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #272   Oct 27, 2008 9:02 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

Does retired count?  If so, here's my take on dysons.  A decent bagless vacuum.  Nothing special.  Made with the same cheap foreign labor and parts as most others in the industry.  Over-priced.  Over-engineered.  Over-marketed.  And over-rated by most here save the independent vacuum store owners/operators who know the business and its products.  Would I carry if still in business?  Yes, of course.  Why?  For customers who specifically ask and want and to be an authorized service dealer to have access to the parts.  Consumers are better educated on bagless and dysons now that it has a track record in the US.  No longer an unknown entity with a honeymoon period.  And the ASA has curtailed its usage of false/exaggerated product claims. Future for dysons?  Niche vacuum, if it survives.  To do so, it has to re-invent itself for the hard times. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 263 - 272 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42