Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > My Kenmore can is about to die!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mark40511

My Kenmore can is about to die!
Original Message   Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm
Hello

I don't frequent this forum very much. I bought the kenmore can red pepper canister 2 yrs ago, well almost 2 yrs ago. Prior to that I had one for two years, then I bought a Rainbow and gave that one to my DAD which lasted him another year before he said it caught on fire with him using it. I don't know how well he maintained it though. Anyway, I wished I had kept it because I hated getting the Rainbow out to vacuum everyday because I have two cats and try to vacuum everyday. So thats why I ended up buying another one. Because I LOVE how user friendly and effective they are. I take care of them, change the bags frequently (micro-lined) and filters. But my issue isn't a motor problem. One thing, where the power head cord makes the bend as it starts to go up the lower wand is starting to fray. Also the 360 degree swivel hose when it swivels, it is losing contact with power so it now goes on and off when I'm trying to vacuum. Keep this in mind. When I first bought it ALMOST 2 yrs ago, during the 30 day warranty, the on/off button on the handle malfunctioned and the vacuum stayed on unless you plug/unplug it. I took it to get it fixed for FREE. It has worked flawlessly for almost 2 yrs. IT has been used Heavily though. I would venture to say at least 5 days a week. 1300 sq ft one story home. So with the heavy use, is this justifiable? I'm wondering, had I bought the extended warranty since I use it so heavily instead of having to buy a brand new vac, I could have just taken this to get it fixed. But Would they have fixed it? I LOVE these vacs, I wish they were more durable. I didn't abuse it at all. I just used it ALOT! I still use the Rainbow and wouldn't give it up. But I only use it for MAJOR cleaning.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: My Kenmore can is about to die!
Reply #1   Aug 1, 2008 5:06 am
You have to figure that you got alot of use out of that machine if you used it 5 days a wk, for over two years.  The Kenmore vacuum cleaners are not made the way they were some years ago.  They are trying to stay competitive w/brands like Dirt Devil, Eureka and HOOVER.  What they should have done was rise above.

You asked about the extended warranty.  Sears would have done the repair, because it is not that old.  Parts are still available.  Getting an extended warranty is really not worth it w/that vacuum cleaner.  If you are going to get another canister w/power nozzle,  you might want to find a better brand, w/a longer warranty.  Riccar/Simplicity comes to mind.  I really like their canisters w/power nozzles. 

If you wanted to stick w/the Kenmore design, why not get a Panasonic.  They are one model design behind the TOL Kenmore(Panasonic) models.  You will be able to get service in more places, under warranty,  than Sears.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42