Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > No clue what vacuum to get

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Teriwyn

No clue what vacuum to get
Original Message   Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm
Hi folks!

I stumbled upon this site while looking for reviews and information to prepare us for the upcoming task of purchasing a new vacuum, and was hoping people here far more knowledgeable could point us in the right direction.

I know this is based a lot on preference, and also on our situation. Here's what we're dealing with.

- Standard apartment. 90% of the floor is carpet, and areas that aren't will be swept and mopped. So, a vacuum that is appropriate for 100% carpet vacuuming on run-of-the-mill, medium+ pile carpet is needed.
- Pets. We have one cat, and will be getting another when we move in to the apartment. Vacuum must deal exceptionally with pet hair and dander.
- Human hair. I have long hair, and one of the problems we constantly have is that it becomes wound around the beater-bar and either causes the belt to be damaged, burns up the motor (lost one vac this way), or requires us to spend a ton of time taking the base apart, removing the beater-bar, and combing/cutting all of the hair (along with the grime it has picked up with the vacuum) out of the brushes. Disgusting! Would like to avoid this if at all possible.
- Preference. Our preference is for an upright over a canister, unless someone can provide us with really compelling evidence that a canister would serve our needs better.
- Life. We have gone through too many vacuums. This next one needs to have a good life-span when treated properly. I don't see this as a disposable purchase.
- Cost. We are willing to pay more for something that meets our needs well, and will last. Our upper limit is probably in the $500 neighborhood, perhaps a bit higher.

With all that said, we either don't care, or aren't sure about the following topics:
- Weight. I don't care if it's heavy to push. That really doesn't bother me much, especially just in a two-bedroom, single level apartment. Once we get it home, I don't have to haul it up and down stairs.
- Bagged vs. Bagless. This is a tossup. After having used both, right now we lean toward a bagged vacuum. The bagless vac we used before was messy to empty, and after we emptied it the first time, the dirt cup never made a good seal again, spewing dust right back out into the air.
- HEPA. I think we want this, especially with pet dander.
- Attachments. We don't have to clean upholstery or drapes or anything weirder than corners. As pet owners, we buy furniture with machine-washable covers to keep them clean, so it's not likely we'll vacuum the couches. I'm not an attachment addict.
- Shampooing. Our apartment requires us to have the place professionally shampooed before we leave. We aren't allowed to do it ourselves and save the money. So, I am not in the market for a Rug-shampooer at all.

Did I leave anything out? I really don't know what other information might be relevant to choosing a vacuum. Our prior choices have been poor, resulting in dead vacuums inside of around 18 months, so at this point, I'm ready to defer to people who know far more on the topic for assistance.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you might be able to offer!
-Teri
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: No clue what vacuum to get
Reply #1   Jul 26, 2008 3:01 pm
Hello Teriwyn:

In your price range, I strongly recommend you seek out several local vacuum stores in your area and avoid the big box retail stores.  Provide your cleaning needs and requirements to the stores' owners/operators.  There are a plethora of reliable excellent upright brands to chose from among the independent vacuum stores.  It will come down to your own personal preferences and prices.  I can list off a number of brands but seeing them up close and personal will be more meaningful for you.  Then once you've had a feel for the vacuums and brands in these stores come back here with specific questions for answers. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #2   Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm
There are some excellent vacuums in your price range, and the best place to get these would be a local vacuum store.

My personal recommendations would be to look at Sebo, the G1 and Simplicity Synchrony/Riccar  Brilliance.  These machines are some of teh best on the market and are very well made.  I also recommend these models specifically because tehy use permanent belts that are guaranteed by the manufacturers to last the life of the machine.  The advantage of this on pet hair is that the brushroll will always be turning at full speed to make sure that you are picking up well.  Vacuums that use stretch belts tend to lose efficiency as the belt begins to slip, a vacuum with a permanent belt will not do this.  These machines also have very good filtration, the Simplicity even has a charcoal filter to help keep any pet hair smells from comong back into the room.
Venson

Reply #3   Jul 26, 2008 7:59 pm
Hi Teri,

No matter what vacuum you buy, maintenance will always be required especially in situations such as you have described.  There is no way around it.  Were I you, I'd look for a machine that allows for easy access to the belt and brush roll to make it feel less of a chore. 

Being a fan of bagged vacuums I'd want the biggest disposable bag available to me.  As for canister or upright, if you're not fond of canisters you're probably never going to be and what's wrong with that especially if you're main interest is carpet cleaning?  Consider a simple machine like one of the Sanitaire standard uprights.  Check with the dealer regarding high-filtration bags. However, these machines won't do you much good above the floor.  See link --http://www.sanitairevac.com/professional/products/cat_upright.html

If durability is a serious issue and weight concerns don't bother you much, check the "re-built" thread.  Kirby (G5 and up) -- an upright I like and own but would be hesitant to recommend that anyone buy one brand new -- allows easy detachment of its rug cleaning head and you can snip away hair and the like with not too much problem.  They also can be used with a very good high-filtration disposable bag that is generous in size.  They are heavy and a bit bulky but the models mentioned do have transmissions that make pushing and maneuvering the machine relatively easy. Please note that they are not great if you want to clean under your bed or low furniture.  Noetheless, properly adjusted for carpet height they should give you good service.

You should be able to land one from a reputable seller on eBay (always review selller feedback) for roughly $250 to $400.  These usually come with a slew of tools including a rug shampooer that most folks will never use but, hey, what are closets for?

Good luck,

Venson

This message was modified Jul 26, 2008 by Venson
Lucky1

Reply #4   Jul 28, 2008 1:29 pm
I agree with the Simplicity and Sebo recommendations though they might be a little more than $500. Depends on your dealer. I lean a little more toward the Simplicity Synchrony Standard. Because it doesn't have tools, it can be purchased for around $500. With their tandem motor system they clean very well.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #5   Jul 29, 2008 10:08 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Teri,

No matter what vacuum you buy, maintenance will always be required especially in situations such as you have described.  There is no way around it.  Were I you, I'd look for a machine that allows for easy access to the belt and brush roll to make it feel less of a chore. 

Being a fan of bagged vacuums I'd want the biggest disposable bag available to me.  As for canister or upright, if you're not fond of canisters you're probably never going to be and what's wrong with that especially if you're main interest is carpet cleaning?  Consider a simple machine like one of the Sanitaire standard uprights.  Check with the dealer regarding high-filtration bags. However, these machines won't do you much good above the floor.  See link --http://www.sanitairevac.com/professional/products/cat_upright.html

If durability is a serious issue and weight concerns don't bother you much, check the "re-built" thread.  Kirby (G5 and up) -- an upright I like and own but would be hesitant to recommend that anyone buy one brand new -- allows easy detachment of its rug cleaning head and you can snip away hair and the like with not too much problem.  They also can be used with a very good high-filtration disposable bag that is generous in size.  They are heavy and a bit bulky but the models mentioned do have transmissions that make pushing and maneuvering the machine relatively easy. Please note that they are not great if you want to clean under your bed or low furniture.  Noetheless, properly adjusted for carpet height they should give you good service.

You should be able to land one from a reputable seller on eBay (always review selller feedback) for roughly $250 to $400.  These usually come with a slew of tools including a rug shampooer that most folks will never use but, hey, what are closets for?

Good luck,

Venson

Teri,

What vacuums did you have that didn't last?  It helps to know what failed in order to make an optimum recommendation.  Nevertheless, there's a lot of good advice here. 

You might want to consider the Smart Choice Carpet Pro Household Vacuum.  It seems to have good reviews on Amazon.  I vaguely remember it getting good reviews on this forum a long time back.  The best part is that it's under $200. 

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Carpet-Pro-Household-Vacuum/dp/B000A6XCKY/ref=pd_sbs_k_6/002-1609052-8151258

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42