Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Your Choice for a Built-in System

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Your Choice for a Built-in System
Original Message   Jul 23, 2008 1:14 pm
Were debating whether to carry built in systems. It is not our expertise but we are being asked if we carry them. Soooo what would be your choice of ONE brand to carry if you did and what would be you "go to model" for a recommendation. We have noticed that people who come in and say they HATE their system usually have the "builders cheepo special" and the ones who like their system have the most expensive ones. Sorry this post doesn't have anything to do with Dyson? LOL
Replies: 34 - 43 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Your Choice for a Built-in System
Reply #34   Jul 26, 2008 8:55 pm
techphet wrote:
I'm no exert here but what Dyson looks like to me is markettng.

With as much money as they invest into ads, brochures, and design I find it quite easy to believe vacuum cleaner salesmen when they tell me that Dyson is not the way to go.

Tech

Oreck is marketing.  Dyson is performance.  I am sure that a lot of the Dyson price is due to advertising.  Most of the Oreck price is the freebies that come with the vacuum.

I imagine that the salesmen telling you it is not the way to go do not sell them.  I have yet to have a salesman tell me that it is not the way to go ( if they are available in the store).

Have you tried one.

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jul 27, 2008 7:23 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Have you tried one.

ORECK and dyson do not offer CVS models.  ORECK never has in the USA after 45 plus years.  Dyson probably never will as a vacuum industry newcomer in the USA, IMHO. 

BTW Lucky1, if you didn't already know, the VDTA has a group called the Central Vacuum Advisory Council with a link on its Web Site devoted to the issue of CVS with a monthly publication:

http://www.vdta.com/Magazines/JUL08/cv-toc-jul08.html  

I believe the CVS Council has been in existence for about 8 years while the VDTA is over 25 years old.  The Council was originally tasked to bring some of the Canadian enthusiasm for CVS to the USA.  You'll probably have to be a member to access some of the news and articles, but it may be worth the cost.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 27, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #36   Jul 27, 2008 9:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK and dyson do not offer CVS models.  ORECK never has in the USA after 45 plus years.  Dyson probably never will as a vacuum industry newcomer in the USA, IMHO. 

BTW Lucky1, if you didn't already know, the VDTA has a group called the Central Vacuum Advisory Council with a link on its Web Site devoted to the issue of CVS with a monthly publication:

http://www.vdta.com/Magazines/JUL08/cv-toc-jul08.html  

I believe the CVS Council has been in existence for about 8 years while the VDTA is over 25 years old.  The Council was originally tasked to bring some of the Canadian enthusiasm for CVS to the USA.  You'll probably have to be a member to access some of the news and articles, but it may be worth the cost.

Carmine D.

No sheet.  This was started by one of your comments.
CarmineD

Reply #37   Jul 27, 2008 4:22 pm
Not my kill.  Lucky1 started this thread on CVS.  Very interesting too.  I have to install a CVS in my daughter and son-in-law's home [over 3000sq ft].  This thread was very topical and timely.  Haven't gotten to it yet.  Probably in the fall after this hot weather is behind us in LV.  Looking forward to it now!  Unit will be in the garage.  Should be a snap since all the piping, outlets and kitchen sweep are in already.  Haven't found a local dealer yet who sells CVS.  And I did not want to buy off the internet if I can find a local dealer.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 27, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #38   Jul 28, 2008 7:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Out of curiosity, have CV's caught on much more in the US?  I've always found it amazing that the demand wasn't as high as it was in Canada.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jul 29, 2008 8:09 am
dusty wrote:
Out of curiosity, have CV's caught on much more in the US?  I've always found it amazing that the demand wasn't as high as it was in Canada.

Dusty

Dusty:

A little more in recent years in pockets of the US.  But, by and large, CV are for the most part the best kept secret in the US vacuum industry in the last 50 years. 

In the Del Webb Pulte retirement communities [55 and up] in Florida CVS is a standard feature on all the new houses with several models to chose from.  Here in Vegas, at the same Del Webb Pulte retirement communities, asking for a CVS gets a pause of silence and then directions to the nearesr drug store.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 29, 2008 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #40   Jul 29, 2008 10:22 am
Dusty as I mentioned earlier that most builders opt for the cheap specials to put in new homes and customers that have these don't really like them. They now come in to buy vacuums instead. Things like vacpans and hide a hose are starting to pique curiosity in them again.
mole

Reply #41   Jul 29, 2008 4:57 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Dusty as I mentioned earlier that most builders opt for the cheap specials to put in new homes and customers that have these don't really like them. They now come in to buy vacuums instead. Things like vacpans and hide a hose are starting to pique curiosity in them again.

Hi Lucky1, as a general rule of thumb,when quoting jobs, Always ask what the square footage of the dwelling is.

Take the Sq footage and divide by 700 this will tell you how many valves you will need give or take a half of valve.

Then you can reccomened a system and attachment kit that they will be happy with.

ITS better to overpower than to underpower the system.

Hope this helps

MOLE

HaroldGreenly

Reply #42   Nov 10, 2008 4:53 pm
If you could carry one brand of central vacuum I think it should be MD. They are the most dealer-centric brand, I think.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2008 by a moderator

-Harold Greenly,

My favorite vac is a SilentMaster.
Cvacplanet

Reply #43   Dec 29, 2008 2:39 pm
There are so may central vacuums to choose from, like mole was saying when you get a customers square footage you should double it. So if their home is 3,500 sq. ft. suggest a vacuum that can do up to 5,000 - 7,000 sq. ft., this will maximize the suction. When the customer is using the inlet furthest away from the unit, you do not want them to have a loss of suction. There are really some good brands out there and everyone has their preference. I personally like the Valet machines made by Lindsay. Lindsay Mfg. also makes AstroVac, Imperium, Vacu-Maid and others. The Beam unit is a great unit, and the company really supports local dealers, but their prices are pretty high. I would stay away from Nutone. In my opionion their units are crap, just not the same units from 15 years ago.

Replies: 34 - 43 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42