Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Original Message   Jul 7, 2008 5:05 am
Has anyone seen this yet?  It just hit the shelves a couple of weeks ago at Wal-Mart (not even on the Hoover or WM website at this point), I picked one up around that time after speaking to Tom G. (who was the first one to tell me about it) but had neglected to post about it on here until now.  I finished posting a review in the Reviews section, needless to say I am very impressed with the machine now that I have been using it for a couple of weeks and highly encourage everyone to at least head to Wal-Mart and check it out. 

For those of you who haven't seen it, TTI/Hoover has finally jumped on the multi-cyclone bandwagon after experimenting with dual-cyclone for a couple of years with the Mach series, and only recently getting *that* right with a redesigned shroud for the Mach 3.  This Whisper is completely different, it's a copy of a Root Cyclone Dyson and a damn good one at that.  At $120 I am blown away by the type of machine it is, very substantial and not cheap-feeling by any means.  It's a completely new design, and appears to contain elements of the Mach series, the failed "One" cleaner in the UK, and, oddly enough, the LG/Kenmore Premalite.  At first glance it appears to be a dual-cyclone machine, until you either look at the side of the box or separate the two halves of the cyclone assembly.  Indeed, there are 6 high-efficiency cyclones hidden above the bin, and they look just like a Dyson's.  You will also notice the cyclonic "arrows" on the Hoover logo in front, for added emphasis

Carpet performance is good, it handles very nicely (positive weight) and the double-chevron brushroll helps pull the machine along; the bristles are soft but still effective.  What sets it apart from the Dyson though is above-floor cleaning convenience.  You push a button and the handle wand releases, you do not even have to let go of the handle; you're using the SAME ergonomic handle you just vacuumed the carpet with.  The wand is long as well, and does not need to be inverted for use.  There are only 2 attachments, and the wand isn't adjustable, but the brush/upholstery tool is, I presume to reach tight spaces.  I suppose if worse comes to worse other standard 1 1/4" attachments could work, it appears to be the same though I have not tried it.  I'll check that out further and post the findings.  The motor is soft-starting (like the Hoover Z), and the brushroll (driven by a separate motor) automatically starts and stops when the handle is lowered or raised, if the brushroll switch is on.  There are also 2 indicator lights showing when the brushroll is on, and when the suction is blocked.

This machine is basically a Dyson DC07 or DC14...at a third of the price.  Being a Dyson fan I hate to say it, but Dyson may be facing some competition with this machine as far as regular uprights are concerned, once it is more widely available and more people find out about it.  It's no match for the DC17 in terms of performance, obviously, but I can't see any reason why the 7 or 14 would be more desirable, as strange as that sounds.  If it was inexpensive and worked well but cheaply made, then it's obvious the Dyson would be the clear winner (as it usually is), but that's the thing...this machine does not seem to be cheaply made at all.  Definitely no WindTunnel here and I can't see why it wouldn't last a reasonable length of time.   On the other hand, while possibly not-so-good news for Dyson this could be some positive news for Hoover, perhaps the first of many machines to come?  It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

-MH

Replies: 76 - 85 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Reply #76   Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey Dust Man & Motor:

It's not so much the soft brush roll as the rug height adjustment.  On many plush carpets soft brush rolls work very well if combined with a rug height adjustment.  The EUREKA Boss Smart Vac 4870.  has a 7 position rug height adjustment with a brush roll on/off switch.  That's what makes the big diff with a dyson DC07 and the 60 percent better cleaning by the EUREKA.

Carmine D.

Then you're implying that the Oreck does not work well since it has a soft brushroll and no height adjustment.  Excellent!  Something we have known all along, AND the first intelligent statement you've made on here in ages.
This message was modified Jul 13, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #77   Jul 14, 2008 6:22 am
Motorhead wrote:
Then you're implying that the Oreck does not work well since it has a soft brushroll and no height adjustment.  Excellent!  Something we have known all along, AND the first intelligent statement you've made on here in ages.

No Motor Man, not quite:

You said that WRT the dyson brush bar and Dusty quoted you.  Did you forget already? 

I disagreed with both of you.   

Let me recap again just for you.  Topic:  EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum upright outcleans dyson by 60 percent.  Question: Why?  Answer:  Soft dyson brush roll.  Wrong!  Try again. 

A soft brush roll is not the reason a dyson DC07 fails against the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum on plush carpets.  EUREKA is 60 percent better.  [A claim that dyson has never challenged and/or rebutted with its own findings]. 

The correct answer is:  The poor design and function of the brush bar on a dyson DC07 in conjunction with the lack of a rug height adjustment are the reasons the EUREKA outcleans it by 60 percent.

In fact, I say soft brush rolls are very desirable on many plush carpets IF it is in combination with a rug height adjustment [especially for full size uprights]. 

Dusty pointed out that RICCAR [and ORECK] does not have a rug adjustment and cleans quite well on carpets according to Consumer Reports [you're familiar with that publication but you call it something else].  In fact,  both RICCAR and ORECK lightweights clean and groom rugs/carpets as good, if not better than some full size uprights [like your fave brand and in particular the worse of all for pet hair pick up (read kapok test) DC07].

I agreed with Dusty.  But I took it a step further.  I say the reason is because these are lightweight vacuums.  Not full size heavy bulky upright vacuums.  RICCAR and ORECK lightweights are less than half the weigh and bulk of most full size uprights.  Consequently, they have less vacuum head weight [which houses the brush roll].  On plush carpets, these lightweight smaller uprights don't need a height adjustment [like full size heavy US uprights] to maneuver over and clean carpets well. 

Now, wouldn't you agree Motor man?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 14, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #78   Jul 14, 2008 7:30 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You claim that the manual height adjustment makes the Boss clean better on plush carpet than Dyson.  That should put it on a level playing field with Oreck.  It will out clean the $800 Oreck.  Why would anyone but a weakling want the Oreck?

Hey HS MAn:

I'm not sure what it is you are saying.  I don't think you know.  But, let me clear up the misconceptions on your part. 

First, ORECKS can be bought for as little as $200 new.  I proved this to you and Motor man [who doubted me here] with advertised ORECK sales.  Granted ORECKS are not free [as with your favorite refurb brand]. 

Second, the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum is $150.  But, it's a porker.  Like Dusty said, it's cheaper than a gym membership.  The ORECK is trim and lean [no gym membership needed].  Both will clean and groom carpets equally well and are rated the same by Consumer Reports for rug/floor cleaning.  The choice between the two is really dependent on the likes and dislikes, wants and needs, of the user. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #79   Jul 14, 2008 7:38 am
mole wrote:
Looks like a decent bagless cleaner for the money,Great price , has all the right parts [even though its bagless], Whats D have to combat this machine,another $500.00 piece of art work?

But, But, we have level 3 cyclonic cleaning action,And were nice guys [HONEST],

MOLE

Hey MOLE Man:

I hear the backround music playing:  Dum, dum, dum, dum......  Still not in Vegas stores, but I hear on the way.  Appears TTI and HOOVER have settled into a mutually beneficial business and professional relationship.

What are the filter costs and maintenance on this HOOVER Whispertone bagless?  Come with a turbo tool on board?  Cord winder? 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #80   Jul 14, 2008 8:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HS MAn:

I'm not sure what it is you are saying.  I don't think you know.  But, let me clear up the misconceptions on your part. 

First, ORECKS can be bought for as little as $200 new.  I proved this to you and Motor man [who doubted me here] with advertised ORECK sales.  Granted ORECKS are not free [as with your favorite refurb brand]. 

Second, the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum is $150.  But, it's a porker.  Like Dusty said, it's cheaper than a gym membership.  The ORECK is trim and lean [no gym membership needed].  Both will clean and groom carpets equally well and are rated the same by Consumer Reports for rug/floor cleaning.  The choice between the two is really dependent on the likes and dislikes, wants and needs, of the user. 

Carmine D.

I know exactly what I am saying.  Not surprised that you can't comprehend.  There was no doubt that an Oreck could not be bought for $200 during a promotion.  Fact is the local Oreck stores refused to sell me a vacuum without the canister.  Orecks can also be bought for $800.  Are you saying that the $200 version performs just as well?

Remember, I owned a Boss and an XL21.  I know from experience that the Boss vacuums better.  Maybe your wife should have told you that a $150 Boss was better than a $200 Oreck.  Oh wait.  I remember now the Oreck is only needed by the feeble. 

No, Orecks are not free.  Dysons are free when Oreck has to buy you one like they did me.

CarmineD

Reply #81   Jul 15, 2008 7:24 am
Hey HARDSELL My Man:

You are quite the vacuum buyer and user.  It's nice to see that the ORECK XL21, EUREKA Boss Smart vacuum, and dyson DC07 all met with the same fate by you.  Gone but not forgotten.

How's that new dyson looking?  I'm amazed that the big box retailers are not advertising the latest and greatest dysons.  Lots of others beside dyson advertised, but not your fave free brand.  Still can't find the dyson TARGET brand.  I think its a collector's item now. 

Carmine D.  

This message was modified Jul 15, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #82   Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Dysons are free when Oreck has to buy you one like they did me.

Hey Big Guy:

Gotcha!   

No hard feelings.  Like I said in posts here, I wouldn't do it.  It's not me.  But I don't tell others what they should do.  You got a freebie refurb dyson and made some money on the sale to put toward a bagged Royal Eminence.  Not a bad deal for you.  For a false friendship with a guy who needs and craves friends both in and out of the industry. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #83   Jul 15, 2008 8:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hey Big Guy:

Gotcha!   

No hard feelings.  Like I said in posts here, I wouldn't do it.  It's not me.  But I don't tell others what they should do.  You got a freebie refurb dyson and made some money on the sale to put toward a bagged Royal Eminence.  Not a bad deal for you.  For a false friendship with a guy who needs and craves friends both in and out of the industry. 

Carmine D.

Noe of this makes sense.  I have never owned a refurb and I do not know who you are saying needs friends.
CarmineD

Reply #84   Jul 15, 2008 1:04 pm
Good joke HS, made me laugh!  Thanks, big guy! 

BTW, you never told us how much the 3 year old refurb DC07 sold for.  Don't want to say because it may offend the donor?

Good thing it was not a sale to you but a gift.  If it were a sale, the carton would have had to say repack/refurb.  Else the seller [a business vendor] would be in violation of a federal law.  And penalized for the offense.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #85   Jul 15, 2008 7:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Good joke HS, made me laugh!  Thanks, big guy! 

BTW, you never told us how much the 3 year old refurb DC07 sold for.  Don't want to say because it may offend the donor?

Good thing it was not a sale to you but a gift.  If it were a sale, the carton would have had to say repack/refurb.  Else the seller [a business vendor] would be in violation of a federal law.  And penalized for the offense.

Carmine D.

The amazing thing is that the refurb beat the Oreck and I got it free because of the bet.

Whooped the Oreck just like Dyson did to you when you were consulting.

Replies: 76 - 85 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42