Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Original Message   Jul 7, 2008 5:05 am
Has anyone seen this yet?  It just hit the shelves a couple of weeks ago at Wal-Mart (not even on the Hoover or WM website at this point), I picked one up around that time after speaking to Tom G. (who was the first one to tell me about it) but had neglected to post about it on here until now.  I finished posting a review in the Reviews section, needless to say I am very impressed with the machine now that I have been using it for a couple of weeks and highly encourage everyone to at least head to Wal-Mart and check it out. 

For those of you who haven't seen it, TTI/Hoover has finally jumped on the multi-cyclone bandwagon after experimenting with dual-cyclone for a couple of years with the Mach series, and only recently getting *that* right with a redesigned shroud for the Mach 3.  This Whisper is completely different, it's a copy of a Root Cyclone Dyson and a damn good one at that.  At $120 I am blown away by the type of machine it is, very substantial and not cheap-feeling by any means.  It's a completely new design, and appears to contain elements of the Mach series, the failed "One" cleaner in the UK, and, oddly enough, the LG/Kenmore Premalite.  At first glance it appears to be a dual-cyclone machine, until you either look at the side of the box or separate the two halves of the cyclone assembly.  Indeed, there are 6 high-efficiency cyclones hidden above the bin, and they look just like a Dyson's.  You will also notice the cyclonic "arrows" on the Hoover logo in front, for added emphasis

Carpet performance is good, it handles very nicely (positive weight) and the double-chevron brushroll helps pull the machine along; the bristles are soft but still effective.  What sets it apart from the Dyson though is above-floor cleaning convenience.  You push a button and the handle wand releases, you do not even have to let go of the handle; you're using the SAME ergonomic handle you just vacuumed the carpet with.  The wand is long as well, and does not need to be inverted for use.  There are only 2 attachments, and the wand isn't adjustable, but the brush/upholstery tool is, I presume to reach tight spaces.  I suppose if worse comes to worse other standard 1 1/4" attachments could work, it appears to be the same though I have not tried it.  I'll check that out further and post the findings.  The motor is soft-starting (like the Hoover Z), and the brushroll (driven by a separate motor) automatically starts and stops when the handle is lowered or raised, if the brushroll switch is on.  There are also 2 indicator lights showing when the brushroll is on, and when the suction is blocked.

This machine is basically a Dyson DC07 or DC14...at a third of the price.  Being a Dyson fan I hate to say it, but Dyson may be facing some competition with this machine as far as regular uprights are concerned, once it is more widely available and more people find out about it.  It's no match for the DC17 in terms of performance, obviously, but I can't see any reason why the 7 or 14 would be more desirable, as strange as that sounds.  If it was inexpensive and worked well but cheaply made, then it's obvious the Dyson would be the clear winner (as it usually is), but that's the thing...this machine does not seem to be cheaply made at all.  Definitely no WindTunnel here and I can't see why it wouldn't last a reasonable length of time.   On the other hand, while possibly not-so-good news for Dyson this could be some positive news for Hoover, perhaps the first of many machines to come?  It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

-MH

Replies: 50 - 59 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Reply #50   Jul 12, 2008 8:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS Man: 

I've posted info about dyson sales here specifically for you with prices as low as $280 for a new DC07 [before retailers' give backs].  Have you purchased one yet?  No, but you post on another thread that you bought one for $399 [and sold it after 3 years].  You said the prices for the best dyson [DC07] are too high.  Show us where you didn't.  Say it now, if you think the $399 price is reasonable on the DC07!

What do you say about the $500 plus prices on the newer dysons that don't perform as well as the DC07?  Worth the do re me? 

You'll never get another new dyson by posting with these conflicting messages about dyson performance and prices.  We know the real reason you bought a Royal Eminence for $299 with the proceeds from the DC07.  You're trying to slicky another new dyson just like you did before with the DC07.  But, dyson learned you sold the first one.  You told us that's not you!  Why?  Because you didn't sell the free gifts from ORECK when you returned the vacuum.  Shame on you HS.

Carmine D.

I had an $800 Oreck. which is one of the cheapest built vacuums on the market.  The Dyson is worth much more than the Oreck.  It probably cost more to bring a Dyson into the US than it cost to manufacture the Oreck.  I think most all vacuums are over priced as are most consumer goods.  Most are priced at what the public will pay.  COMPARED TO THE $800 ORECK THE DC07 IS A BARGAIN AT $399.

You can refer to my above stgatement about prices.  Again, compared to other vacuums Dyson is not over priced. 

Only an old fool could assume that my Dyson was free.  You contradict yourself.  First paragraph you say that I paid $399 then you say it was free.  Why would Dyson give me another vacuum if I make it known that I sold mine and bought a Royal and a Kirby?  I never got any free gifts with my Oreck.  Can't keep something you do not get.  In fact I bought an Oreck air purifier at the same time.  Never opened it and returned with the Oreck.  I figured that if the vac was such a POS the air cleaner was no better.  The public seems to share my thoughts.

You are digging a deeper hole and your nose is growing.

dusty

Reply #51   Jul 12, 2008 9:37 am
HARDSELL wrote:

In fact I bought an Oreck air purifier at the same time.  Never opened it and returned with the Oreck.  I figured that if the vac was such a POS the air cleaner was no better.  The public seems to share my thoughts.

Good call on the air purifier.  The vac is a masterpiece compared to that thing.

Dusty
dusty

Reply #52   Jul 12, 2008 9:45 am
CarmineD wrote:
Well Dust Man,

Would you care to explain your reasons for saying that the EUREKA Boss Smart vacuum will outclean a dyson DC07 by 60 percent on plush carpets?  Is it the brush roll?  Is it the height adjustment?  Perhaps both?  Expound for us. 

Motorhead already did.  DC07 has a softer brushroll and certainly doesn't work the carpet over like the 4870 does. If Eureka really wants to do a closer comparison (which they don't ) they should  use their new heavily promoted Capture against a DC18.  Bagless vs Bagless. 

Dusty
Motorhead

Reply #53   Jul 12, 2008 10:23 am
dusty wrote:
Motorhead already did.  DC07 has a softer brushroll and certainly doesn't work the carpet over like the 4870 does. If Eureka really wants to do a closer comparison (which they don't ) they should  use their new heavily promoted Capture against a DC18.  Bagless vs Bagless. 

Dusty

Hi Dusty,

I had seen the Capture before at Wal-Mart but didn't realize that was being "heavily promoted" (much like anything else Eureka has to be exact, with the exception of a dual-cyclone canister they're either bagged or bin-filter bagless, not even innovative in the form of copying other designs and little advertising if any at all).  Nothing to offer there in my opinion, just a bin filter that clogs immediately and as with any bin-filter cleaner the potential to leak a LOT of fine dust.  With the exception of the Hoover Nano Lite every bin-filter cleaner I've seen (from ANY manufacturer, not just Eureka) is a poorly designed, cheap piece of $#%*.  Put any of those up against a Dyson and the outcome would be painfully obvious.  Wouldn't even take a second thought to know that when compared to a Dyson, the Capture wouldn't capture much.  About the only thing it would "capture", to me, is anger from enraged users wondering why it stopped picking up within 5 seconds of use.  And I can't even begin to imagine how much of a mess emptying *that* would make, pulling fine dust-laden hair off from the filter each time...

If I saw any manufacturer promoting a dust-spewing bin filter bagless, the first thought that would come to my mind would be "What are they thinking?"  Talk about marketing suicide, much to the benefit of competitors of course.

-MH
This message was modified Jul 12, 2008 by Motorhead
dusty

Reply #54   Jul 12, 2008 10:51 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Dusty,

I had seen the Capture before at Wal-Mart but didn't realize that was being "heavily promoted" (much like anything else Eureka has to be exact, with the exception of a dual-cyclone canister they're either bagged or bin-filter bagless, not even innovative in the form of copying other designs and little advertising if any at all).  Nothing to offer there in my opinion, just a bin filter that clogs immediately and as with any bin-filter cleaner the potential to leak a LOT of fine dust.  With the exception of the Hoover Nano Lite every bin-filter cleaner I've seen (from ANY manufacturer, not just Eureka) is a poorly designed, cheap piece of $#%*.  Put any of those up against a Dyson and the outcome would be painfully obvious.  Wouldn't even take a second thought to know that when compared to a Dyson, the Capture wouldn't capture much.  About the only thing it would "capture", to me, is anger from enraged users wondering why it stopped picking up within 5 seconds of use.  And I can't even begin to imagine how much of a mess emptying *that* would make, pulling fine dust-laden hair off from the filter each time...

If I saw any manufacturer promoting a dust-spewing bin filter bagless, the first thought that would come to my mind would be "What are they thinking?"  Talk about marketing suicide, much to the benefit of competitors of course.

-MH

The Capture is where Eureka is spending the bulk of it's television and print advertising money on.  It's the latest and the greatest. We have the Capture+ in store and while it has the features (bare floor cleaning, geared belt, hepa filter) it doesn't come close to working like the Dyson does.  The biggest complaint we get is the handle weight, the thing is heavy and poorly balanced.  So far the only ones we've sold have been to guys who don't mind the weight. On the upside, it is cheaper than a gym membership and if you vacuum every day I'm sure you'll be ready for the beach in no time.  Gee, sounds like a good idea for an infomercial!

Dusty
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #55   Jul 12, 2008 2:49 pm
Where can I go to find a picture of this thing?  I'm very curious about it!
dusty

Reply #56   Jul 12, 2008 3:28 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Where can I go to find a picture of this thing?  I'm very curious about it!

www.eureka.com
CarmineD

Reply #57   Jul 12, 2008 4:06 pm
Hey Dust Man:

As I mentioned above, the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum match up gets the most bang for the buck against dyson for EUREKA.  Why?  SIXTY PERCENT better than a dyson [DC07].  EUREKA doesn't need to match any other of its bagless uprights against any other dysons because the majority of big box store vacuum customers will automatically impute the EUREKA finding that it cleans better than a dyson to all EUREKA's against all dysons.   Plain and simple. 

Add the Consumer Reports ratings for the EUREKA Boss Smart vacuum as a BEST BUY consistently against the fair to middlin rated dysons and EUREKA has a win win all around.  IMHO.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 12, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #58   Jul 12, 2008 4:35 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Why would Dyson give me another vacuum if I make it known that I sold mine and bought a Royal and a Kirby? 

HS My Man:

Since you asked [which in itself is very revealing] I'll tell you.  You think you can slicky another new dyson the same way you did the first DC07.  By posting here about how great dyson art.  History repeating itself. 

You stated here several times that after you sold the DC07 you went out and bought a DC14.  Why?  It's a forgiveable excuse to sell the free DC07.  You planned to upgrade to another dyson a DC14.  By saying a DC14 didn't measure up to your expectations [read as good as the DC07]  you returned it.  Again, foregivable.  But what did you do?  You didn't return it for a DC07 as most would do if they felt the way you did.  But for the credit.  If you stopped there, or said you planned to buy another DC07 at a future time [since you believe it is the signature dyson] you may have still had a chance to obtain another dyson free.  But you blew it. 

Being a man with a conscience, you said you used the dyson proceeds to buy a bagged Royal Eminence.  That's where your argument fell apart [and you kissed a free dyson good bye].  The reason history won't repeat itself again with a free dyson.  Tho, saying the dyson DC07 outcleans the Royal was a very nice touch.  You hoped it would ingratiate you with the dyson powers who be who read here.  You thought it would compensate for the error of selling the free dyson.  But it didn't work.

No great loss tho in the end, right.  Why?  You had free use of a dyson for 3 years.  Made some money on the sale.  And you still believe $399 is a fair price for the DC07.  I'm sure you won't mind running right out now and buying your next new dyson for $280 [or less].  Let us know please when you do.  I want to be the first to congratulate you on the purchase.  So you don't have to keep kicking yourself everytime you use/loan out the inferior bagged Royal.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 12, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #59   Jul 12, 2008 5:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS My Man:

Since you asked [which in itself is very revealing] I'll tell you.  You think you can slicky another new dyson the same way you did the first DC07.  By posting here about how great dyson art.  History repeating itself. 

You stated here several times that after you sold the DC07 you went out and bought a DC14.  Why?  It's a forgiveable excuse to sell the free DC07.  You planned to upgrade to another dyson a DC14.  By saying a DC14 didn't measure up to your expectations [read as good as the DC07]  you returned it.  Again, foregivable.  But what did you do?  You didn't return it for a DC07 as most would do if they felt the way you did.  But for the credit.  If you stopped there, or said you planned to buy another DC07 at a future time [since you believe it is the signature dyson] you may have still had a chance to obtain another dyson free.  But you blew it. 

Being a man with a conscience, you said you used the dyson proceeds to buy a bagged Royal Eminence.  That's where your argument fell apart [and you kissed a free dyson good bye].  The reason history won't repeat itself again with a free dyson.  Tho, saying the dyson DC07 outcleans the Royal was a very nice touch.  You hoped it would ingratiate you with the dyson powers who be who read here.  You thought it would compensate for the error of selling the free dyson.  But it didn't work.

No great loss tho in the end, right.  Why?  You had free use of a dyson for 3 years.  Made some money on the sale.  And you still believe $399 is a fair price for the DC07.  I'm sure you won't mind running right out now and buying your next new dyson for $280 [or less].  Let us know please when you do.  I want to be the first to congratulate you on the purchase.  So you don't have to keep kicking yourself everytime you use/loan out the inferior bagged Royal.

Carmine D.

You caught me Carmine.  I bought a DC07 and had it in my car when I returned the Oreck.  I told the store manager that I had decided to buy a new Dyson.  He was not aware that I had the Dyson with me and proceeded to bash the Dyson.  I made a bet with him.  We would test a DC07 against the an XL21.  If the Oreck was better I would pay double retail.  If the Dyson performed better he had to buy me a Dyson. 

When I went to my car and came in with the Dyson he began to make ecuses for not betting.  It was too late and the contest began.  I had bought baking soda for the test.  The XL 21 choked on the baking soda and the DC07 whooped it.  I think some of the would be Oreck shoppers rushed out to buy a Dyson that day.

That my friend is how I got a free Dyson and is why I previously told a forum reader to take baking soda for the test before purchasing.  No wonder you scoffed at this test.

Replies: 50 - 59 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42