Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Original Message   Jul 7, 2008 5:05 am
Has anyone seen this yet?  It just hit the shelves a couple of weeks ago at Wal-Mart (not even on the Hoover or WM website at this point), I picked one up around that time after speaking to Tom G. (who was the first one to tell me about it) but had neglected to post about it on here until now.  I finished posting a review in the Reviews section, needless to say I am very impressed with the machine now that I have been using it for a couple of weeks and highly encourage everyone to at least head to Wal-Mart and check it out. 

For those of you who haven't seen it, TTI/Hoover has finally jumped on the multi-cyclone bandwagon after experimenting with dual-cyclone for a couple of years with the Mach series, and only recently getting *that* right with a redesigned shroud for the Mach 3.  This Whisper is completely different, it's a copy of a Root Cyclone Dyson and a damn good one at that.  At $120 I am blown away by the type of machine it is, very substantial and not cheap-feeling by any means.  It's a completely new design, and appears to contain elements of the Mach series, the failed "One" cleaner in the UK, and, oddly enough, the LG/Kenmore Premalite.  At first glance it appears to be a dual-cyclone machine, until you either look at the side of the box or separate the two halves of the cyclone assembly.  Indeed, there are 6 high-efficiency cyclones hidden above the bin, and they look just like a Dyson's.  You will also notice the cyclonic "arrows" on the Hoover logo in front, for added emphasis

Carpet performance is good, it handles very nicely (positive weight) and the double-chevron brushroll helps pull the machine along; the bristles are soft but still effective.  What sets it apart from the Dyson though is above-floor cleaning convenience.  You push a button and the handle wand releases, you do not even have to let go of the handle; you're using the SAME ergonomic handle you just vacuumed the carpet with.  The wand is long as well, and does not need to be inverted for use.  There are only 2 attachments, and the wand isn't adjustable, but the brush/upholstery tool is, I presume to reach tight spaces.  I suppose if worse comes to worse other standard 1 1/4" attachments could work, it appears to be the same though I have not tried it.  I'll check that out further and post the findings.  The motor is soft-starting (like the Hoover Z), and the brushroll (driven by a separate motor) automatically starts and stops when the handle is lowered or raised, if the brushroll switch is on.  There are also 2 indicator lights showing when the brushroll is on, and when the suction is blocked.

This machine is basically a Dyson DC07 or DC14...at a third of the price.  Being a Dyson fan I hate to say it, but Dyson may be facing some competition with this machine as far as regular uprights are concerned, once it is more widely available and more people find out about it.  It's no match for the DC17 in terms of performance, obviously, but I can't see any reason why the 7 or 14 would be more desirable, as strange as that sounds.  If it was inexpensive and worked well but cheaply made, then it's obvious the Dyson would be the clear winner (as it usually is), but that's the thing...this machine does not seem to be cheaply made at all.  Definitely no WindTunnel here and I can't see why it wouldn't last a reasonable length of time.   On the other hand, while possibly not-so-good news for Dyson this could be some positive news for Hoover, perhaps the first of many machines to come?  It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

-MH

Replies: 98 - 107 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover Whisper upright at Wal-Mart
Reply #98   Jul 18, 2008 3:25 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

Did Maytag Hoover and now the 3rd world Chinese manufacturer and owner of the Hoover brand (TTI) build the Fusion/s, Mach/s and Whisper (and assumed future rebrands) on hard work and integrity?        DIB

Hello DIB:

In the distant past, I would agree with calling China a 3rd world [under/developing country].  But no longer.  It is probably as mainstream as Malaysia and perhaps more so, based on the recent upheavals in the democratic government in Malaysia.  The World Olympics will certainly bring China into the 21 Century as a world recognized economic leader and also a supreme military power. 

Based on TTI's acquisition of HOOVER, it is the leading vacuum maker/seller in the USA by any measure and/or standard.   TTI is poised to take on dyson for the multi-cyclonic bagless vacuum market.  As Motor says: It's not who does it first, but which company copies the best and sells for less.  In a few years [especially in a the current down global markets], I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if TTI acquires dyson. 

As I said: China is slave labor without the guilt.

Carmine D

This message was modified Jul 18, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #99   Jul 18, 2008 3:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

In the distant past, I would agree with calling China a 3rd world [under/developing country].  But no longer.  It is probably as mainstream now as Malaysia IMHO and maybe more so, based on the recent upheavals in the democratic government in Malaysia.  The World Olympics will certainly bring China into the 21 Century as a recognized world economic leader and a military power. 

Based on TTI's acquisition of HOOVER, it is now the leading vacuum maker/seller in the USA by any measure and/or standard.   TTI is poised to take on dyson for the multi-cyclonic bagless vacuum market.  As Motor says: It's not who does it first, but which company copies the best and sells for less.

As I said: China is slave labor without the guilt.

Carmine D

Carmine,

True, China has developed enormously, although much remains underdeveloped and poor.  I added to my statement below.        DIB
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine,

Did Maytag Hoover and now the 3rd world/cheap labor Chinese manufacturer and owner of the Hoover brand (TTI) build the Fusion/s, Mach/s and Whisper (and assumed future rebrands) on hard work and integrity?        DIB

This message was modified Jul 18, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #100   Jul 18, 2008 3:37 pm
Hello DIB:

In an effort to answer you, I edited my post at the same time as you posted.  Recall, James Spangler invented the first portable upright vacuum in the US.  Boss HOOVER bought the rights in 1907, patented, and mass marketed in the USA and UK by 1912.  Who had integrity and did the hard work?  I'd say both men.

Dyson produced the first multi cyclonic bagless for $500.  TTI did it for $100.  Who did the hard work and has integrity?   That's not for me to judge.  It's for vacuum consumers to decide.   Which gets back to Motor's Law:  It's not who does it first, but who copies the best and sells for less.

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #101   Jul 18, 2008 4:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey MH,

I'm not sure what you are saying in the highlighted.        DIB

Hi DIB,

Sorry for the confusion, I was stating that to me the effort TTI China is putting into building these vacuums is questionable.

-MH
DysonInventsBig

Reply #102   Jul 18, 2008 6:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

In an effort to answer you, I edited my post at the same time as you posted.  Recall, James Spangler invented the first portable upright vacuum in the US.  Boss HOOVER bought the rights in 1907, patented, and mass marketed in the USA and UK by 1912.  Who had integrity and did the hard work?  I'd say both men.

Dyson produced the first multi cyclonic bagless for $500.  TTI did it for $100.  Who did the hard work and has integrity?   That's not for me to judge.  It's for vacuum consumers to decide.   Which gets back to Motor's Law:  It's not who does it first, but who copies the best and sells for less.

Carmine D.

Motorhead,

Thanks for the update on the Whispers flaws.  I would expect James to begin running the same t.v. aderts he ran in the UK showing his vacuums getting abused and not breaking.  The VAX multi-cyclonic, Bissell HH vs. Dyson story has and is still being playing out and from what I saw James answered 1st with a reliability/built quality commercial.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #103   Jul 18, 2008 6:25 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi DIB,

Carmine may have a different opinion but to me that would be questionable.  ......As I mentioned earlier, the jury is still out as to the longevity of the Whisper since it is a new model, but I don't see why it *wouldn't* last a good 6-7 years (at the very least) if properly maintained.

-MH

These are not yet available in the LV area.  I've not seen any up close and personal.  However, I suspect that a 6-7 year lifespan, which is generally the time frame for vacuum makers' big box stores' vacuums before obsolesence, is reasonable to expect.  Not bad for a $120. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #104   Jul 19, 2008 7:24 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Motorhead,

Dyson story has and is still being playing out and from what I saw James answered 1st with a reliability/built quality commercial.        DIB

DIB:

Did you post the site for this commercial here?  If not would you please?  I'd like to view and probably others too.  As I recall, the BISSELL HH now has a 5 year warranty [like dyson] and the VAX has a 6 year warranty.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #105   Sep 16, 2008 9:35 pm
Got a quick look-see at the new HOOVER Whisper.  Not much of a look tho.  Got diverted by a friend who I met at Wal*Mart asking me about the HOOVER Floormate, which she ended up buying based on my say so.

Puts me in mind of the Euro-Pro Infinity.   I don't like the Whisper's brush roll.  Atypical of the HOOVER agitator I am accustomed to.  This one is wood,  smallish, narrow, and round with intermittent long strands of hair.  Not my preference in brushes atoll.  

Very nice large dirt bin with snug fit to the vacuum.  Easy on and off too with the dirt bin.  Nice and easy to dump the bin and replace on the vacuum.  Decent price at $119.  I just might give it a whirl. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 17, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #106   Jan 14, 2009 10:29 am
Carmine, hope you are sitting when you read this.

I purchased a Hoover (DC07) Whisper on Monday.  $98 at Wal Mart.

CarmineD

Reply #107   Jan 14, 2009 12:46 pm
I never stand when I can sit.  Congrats.  Only one suggestion:  Use nitrogen in the wheels

Enjoy your new purchase.

PS:  I just noticed the post above yours is mine, dated Sept 16, 2008.  I mentioned to DIB a few days ago that I could not remember when I made a purchase at W*M last and it had to be months.  Several florescent bulbs.  Well, thebulb aisle is across from the vacuums and floorcare where I met a neighbor asking me about the Floormate.  This was the last time and purchase: September 16, 2008.  Not my favorite store to buy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 14, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 98 - 107 of 107Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42