Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 113 - 122 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Reply #113   Jul 3, 2008 9:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well Dusty, NAD certainly didn't agree with dyson on the claim that its filters didn't clog. 

Long before NAD disagreed, MOLE and I did too, here.  All filters clog and we said so, even dyson.  And when they do, suction decreases.  More so than the fall off in suction when bags clog.  Why?  Filters have a smaller surface area than paper bags.  Clog quicker.  Takes less dirt to clog up a filter than a paper bag.  And the consequences for permanent damage of a clogged filter to a vacuum motor trump a clogged bag easily [which requires removal and replacement of the dyson motor].  Didn't take me 450 engineers and 5127 prototypes to reach that conclusion.

Carmine D.

You and mole told us nothing that we do not know.  Any filter that does not clog should not be there in the first place.

The DC0 filter does not clog as quickly as a bag.  I only washed mine annually.  Try using a bag more than a few times before suction drops.

dusty

Reply #114   Jul 3, 2008 11:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:

All filters clog and we said so, even dyson.  And when they do, suction decreases.  More so than the fall off in suction when bags clog.  Why?  Filters have a smaller surface area than paper bags.  Clog quicker.  Takes less dirt to clog up a filter than a paper bag.  And the consequences for permanent damage of a clogged filter to a vacuum motor trump a clogged bag easily [which requires removal and replacement of the dyson motor].  Didn't take me 450 engineers and 5127 prototypes to reach that conclusion.

Carmine D.

Any bagged vacuum will have more dust clogging it in 5 minutes than a Dyson would get on it's filter in a month of use.  You are right that clogged filters burn out motors...we see a steady stream of Kenmore / Panasonic canisters in with clogged filters because the seal on the bags is so ineffective and sure enough...toasted motors.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #115   Jul 4, 2008 7:25 am
HAPPY 4th of July.

Today during the celebrations, food and fun, remember the men and women of our military services deployed throughout the world.  The wounded, the deceased, their friends, family and loved ones.  And our Nation, the victims of war, pray for peace in the world.

Say a pray for a man in full that his soul rest in blessed repose.  Private First Class Ross Andrew McGinnis, who would have turned 21 on June 14, Flag Day.  He was awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for courage in battle.

On December 4, 2006, in the gunner's hatch of a Humvee driving through Bagdad, PFC McGinnis saw a granade fly through the hatch rolling to where it could have injured the four other soldiers inside.  In an easy position to save himself, McGinnis instead jumped to cover the granade with his body to shield his comrades.  The 4 men were saved. 

McGinnis joined the Army on his 17th birthday, the first day he was eligible to enlist.  A native of Knox, Pennslyvania.  He was 6 foot tall but those who knew him said he seemed alot taller.  Like many men and women in uniform, he answered the call knowing he may put in harm's way.  At the moment it mattered, Ross McGinnis honored America's finest traditions and our own better natures.  Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #116   Jul 4, 2008 9:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
HAPPY 4th of July.

Today during the celebrations, food and fun, remember the men and women of our military services deployed throughout the world.  The wounded, the deceased, their friends, family and loved ones.  And our Nation, the victims of war, pray for peace in the world.

Say a pray for a man in full that his soul rest in blessed repose.  Private First Class Ross Andrew McGinnis, who would have turned 21 on June 14, Flag Day.  He was awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for courage in battle.

On December 4, 2006, in the gunner's hatch of a Humvee driving through Bagdad, PFC McGinnis saw a granade fly through the hatch rolling to where it could have injured the four other soldiers inside.  In an easy position to save himself, McGinnis instead jumped to cover the granade with his body to shield his comrades.  The 4 men were saved. 

McGinnis joined the Army on his 17th birthday, the first day he was eligible to enlist.  A native of Knox, Pennslyvania.  He was 6 foot tall but those who knew him said he seemed alot taller.  Like many men and women in uniform, he answered the call knowing he may put in harm's way.  At the moment it mattered, Ross McGinnis honored America's finest traditions and our own better natures.  Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

Carmine D.

“Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."   John 15:13

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #117   Jul 4, 2008 6:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
No doubt, DC18, for the UK.  The DC07 was made especially for rugs and carpets in the UK/Europe.  Low to mid pile.  Not for rugs in the USA.  Medium to high pile, loops and sculptured.  DC07-14 have a puny brush bar and are outperformed by any/all the big box store brand uprights on rugs.  [Which also come with manual rug height adjustments besting the dyson].  The reason in part the dyson brush bars were revamped to more USA industry standard brush rolls on subsequent models.  To make them compete better for rug cleaning with the competition in the markets where dyson exports.

Carmine D.

Can I just say Carmine D have you ever visited the UK?  People seem to think UK people just have very low short pile to medium pile carpet.  In the UK we have a mixture of flooring from tiled, woodern, laminate, to loop, short and medium pile carpet to very thick 'shag' pile carpet!  And many more types! On top of that we have rugs too all of verying piles heights.  Uk differs slighty to the rest of Europe in that we have a mixed of flooring in our homes.  Where as places like France, Spain, Italy you will mainly find hard flooring like tiles etc...

I've used my DC07 on a long pile carpet with no problem at all, groomed it very well!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #118   Jul 5, 2008 6:03 am
DC18 wrote:
Can I just say Carmine D have you ever visited the UK?  People seem to think UK people just have very low short pile to medium pile carpet.

Hello DC18

Yes, I have.  I travelled through all the countries of Europe.  And for a time, thought seriously of starting a vacuum business there.  Thank you for asking.

No where in Europe are rugs and carpets as prevalent as they are here in the USA.  The USA households, with wall-to-wall carpeting, have matting/padding [some very high] which adds more height and depth to the carpet height.  Do you have that in the UK?   

The DC07 and 14, with their heavy rug head nozzles and no manual rug height adjustments [standard for all full size USA uprights] are hard to push and pull on many US rugs [especially with matting/padding added].  In turn, causing the typical classic dyson ratcheting noise so familiar with these models.

The dyson clutch and brush bar shut off [btw, puny dyson brush not meeting US industry standards] is meant for obstructions [in the UK].  Not to be engaged frequently during normal rug cleaning use [as it does with US med to high pile with backing].  

The combination of the puny dyson brush bar, clutch shut off, and lack of manual rug height adjustments are all the reasons that these models are not suited for many USA carpets.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 5, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #119   Jul 5, 2008 6:31 am
CarmineD wrote:
DC18

Yes, I have.  Life long friends born and raised there.  Since you asked, travelled all of Europe.  My Wife and her family are German. 

Things have changed since the 1940's.

No where are rugs and carpets as prevalent as they are here in the USA.  The USA households with wall-to-wall carpeting have matting/padding [some very high] which adds more height and depth to the size.  Do you have that in the UK?  Anywhere in Europe? 

Most are low to medium pile. 

The DC07 and 14 with heavy rug head nozzles, and no manual rug height adjustments [standard for all full size USA uprights] are hard to push and pull on many US rugs [especially with matting/padding added].  In turn, causing the typical dyson ratcheting noise so familiar with these models.

NOT TRUE  The Royal is not manually adjustable.

The dyson clutch and brush bar shut off [btw, puny dyson brush not meeting US industry standards] is meant for obstructions [in the UK].  Not to be engaged frequently during normal rug cleaning use [as it does with US med to high pile with backing].  

Most are low to medium pile.  High pile is the exception.

The combination of the puny dyson brush bar, clutch shut off, and lack of manual rug height adjustments are all the reasons that is it common knowledge these models are not suited for many USA carpets. 

And most vacuums are not meant for hard floor surfaces which are very common in the USA.  They blow more dirt and dust away than they collect from these surfaces.  DC07 is the exception.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #120   Jul 5, 2008 6:48 am
HS:

Which Royal?  All the Dirt Devils in the big box stores have rug adjustments.  And the all metal Royals in the indy-s have rug adjustments.  Amd have since their beginnings decades ago.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #121   Jul 5, 2008 6:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Which Royal?  All the Dirt Devils in the big box stores have rug adjustments.  And the all metal Royals in the indy-s have rug adjustments.  Amd have since their beginnings decades ago.

Carmine D.

You said all.  My Eminance does not have manual height adjustment.
CarmineD

Reply #122   Jul 5, 2008 6:53 am
HARDSELL wrote:
You said all.  My Eminance does not have manual height adjustment.

HS:

That's the reason it's not sold in big box stores and indy's, save a few.  And not a good example to generalize about for the rest of the US industry.

Carmine D.

Replies: 113 - 122 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42