Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson vacuum & other vacuum related videos & photos...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Dyson vacuum & other vacuum related videos & photos...
Original Message   Nov 22, 2007 12:23 am
1)  Nov 21, 2007 James Dyson t.v. commercial parodied on Saturday Night Live.

2)  March 17, 2009:  While many independent vacuum dealers bad-mouth, lie of and/or dismiss James Dyson and his teams contributions, many others champion the man.  Watch James Dyson in his element - in his Malmesbury Headquarters.  NBC’s “Today Show”  http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=71fa9222-10d2-413c-bf31-0007895697ac

2)  Older video news:  I could not resist...  A Hottie car-news chick mentions the rumor of Dyson working with car makers, and Oreck gets a mention too (funny).

www.blinkx.com/video/hamann-stallion-audi-a7-fast-lane-daily-24jun08/JQ18e2m7y5hiULCgEQWSvw

This message was modified Oct 28, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 205 - 214 of 316Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson & other vacuum related videos & photos...
Reply #205   Jul 1, 2008 7:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I have plenty of proof that replacement dyson parts are sold by authorized dyson retailers.  Several of the big box retailers authorized to sell dysons, like TARGET to mention one of the big ones, who carry and sell vacuum parts, have replacement dyson filters [pre/post motor] for sale.  Not sure of the prices and how they compare to the originals. 

My suspicion with your Rainbow repair [which if I recall correctly your son brought in, not you] is that the store was not an authorized Rainbow repair shop.  It did not sell Rainbows, nor did it want to take the vacuum in to check and repair.  This is not uncommon for vacuum stores to "blacklist" brands from their store.  Some vacuum stores are doing the same for dyson repairs.  Turning them away.  Routing dyson customers for sales, service and parts elsewhere.  Especially if they don't sell new/refurb dysons.  I have plenty of proof of latter also.  2 indy stores in Las Vegas avoid dysons like the plague.  Partly their aversion to bagless, partly the very high prices, and partly their inherent dislike for the Malay contractor workmanship. 

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

It is not  a matter of whether the dealers sell after market parts.  It is a question of whether he uses these less expensive parts and charges for genuine (higher priced) parts.  The big box stores carry bags, filters, belts, etc.  They are on the shelf and the customer can see that they are not labeled with the genuine brand of the vacuum that they fit.  When a vac is serviced the dealer does not allow the customer in the repair area to watch.  Who knows what is really being repaired and what parts are used.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I called the store prior to my son taking the Rainbow  in and they told me that they would service a Rainbow.  They supposedly service all major brands.

If a dealer does not service a brand as you describe then you can add that to another reason that I do not trust so many indy shops.  A polite " We do not service your brand" would be in order.  To simply accept the vacuum then report that some bogus repair is needed is stealing.

HARDSELL

Reply #206   Jul 1, 2008 7:20 am
CarmineD wrote:
Motor:

Especially if their dyson vacuums are out of warranty, and/if they are not as entralled over dyson any longer as a result of using.

This could apply to any brand.  People have a tendency to overlook all the good and remember only the problem at hand when a repair is needed (you can pick a brand).  When reading customer reviews I find many that say: " I replaced brand xxx with a Dyson and it performs sooo much better".  Can recall only two or three that report replacing a Dyson with brand xxx.

Here's the real irony.  Dyson fans, like you, will lambast indy's for selling vacuum store brands that are bagged for the profit in bags.  But, conversely, when dyson charges more for genuine parts than replacements [which is almost always the case] to make more money from its dealers and customers, dyson fans are silent.  No complaints and no objections.  Where one stands, depends on where he/she sits.

Name a brand that consistantly charges less for their genuine parts than after market parts sell for. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #207   Jul 1, 2008 7:31 am
HS:

In your effort to respond you attributed your remarks to me as author?  Would you like me to respond to myself?

If I understand correctly your question, then you completely missed my point.  If a maker [say dyson] outsources its genuine parts to a generic parts supplier or vacuum maker [say panasonic for motors], then its prices to authorized dealers for the parts will be higher than they would be if the dealer buys direct from the outsource supplier [panasonic].  Simply because dyson [insert your own brand name of choise] is charging a middle man fee to the end dyson dealer for the processing and sale.

Dyson is required by contract to price all the parts the same to authorized dealers.  Not so with vacuum parts from suppliers even genuines.  These suppliers may offer better price deals to better dealers [read larger orders and rapid payment].  If I am a panasonic authorized dealer [and I was in NJ], AND I am not a dyson dealer, I might pay considerably less for the panasonic motor [for dyson] than a authorized dyson dealer pays for the motor from dyson.   In fact, I would guarantee it to be the case.  This is true for all the outsourced genuine parts.  At least it was when I was in business.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 1, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #208   Jul 1, 2008 9:22 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

In your effort to respond you attributed your remarks to me as author?  Would you like me to respond to myself?

If I understand correctly your question, then you completely missed my point.  If a maker [say dyson] outsources its genuine parts to a generic parts supplier or vacuum maker [say panasonic for motors], then its prices to authorized dealers for the parts will be higher than they would be if the dealer buys direct from the outsource supplier [panasonic].  Simply because dyson [insert your own brand name of choise] is charging a middle man fee to the end dyson dealer for the processing and sale.

Dyson is required by contract to price all the parts the same to authorized dealers.  Not so with vacuum parts from suppliers even genuines.  These suppliers may offer better price deals to better dealers [read larger orders and rapid payment].  If I am a panasonic authorized dealer [and I was in NJ], AND I am not a dyson dealer, I might pay considerably less for the panasonic motor [for dyson] than a authorized dyson dealer pays for the motor from dyson.   In fact, I would guarantee it to be the case.  This is true for all the outsourced genuine parts.  At least it was when I was in business.  

Carmine D.

I simply implied that all brands have customers that are not enthralled with their purchase if they have a problem.  You could have said the same, however you always choose to single out Dyson.  Your bias shows and really ruins all credibility in your comments.

You are the one missing the point.  What you say about subbing parts applies to most consumer repaired goods.  I have not disputed the quality nor the price of after market prices.  Most manufacturers sub out as opposed to building in house.  The point is the dealer should not use parts that cost him less and charge the price that the customer would have paid for the branded one.  Again,  that is stealing.

We had a parts program where I previously worked.  We sold parts for practically all brands, not just ours.  This allowd our dealers buy their parts from a single source rather than from all the manufacturers.  It also kept our competition from getting in the back door.  These parts were not branded with the with the various manufacturer names.  I really have no idea what the dealer told their customer.  I would be surprised if some failed to tell the customer the difference. 

There are only a few manufacturers of compressors for residential air conditioners so you will likely get one of theirs in any brand.  Sometimes they are generic and sometimes they are built to spec for the manufacturer. Therefore they are not always of the same quality.

Lucky1

Reply #209   Jul 1, 2008 11:38 am
HARDSELL wrote:
The point is the dealer should not use parts that cost him less and charge the price that the customer would have paid for the branded one.  Again,  that is stealing.</p><p>

HA HA HA hahahahah... that's a good one

...When a company does it it's called "free market capitalism"....when a little guy does it, evidently it's called stealing

Personally I think both are unethical...
HARDSELL

Reply #210   Jul 1, 2008 4:46 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
HA HA HA hahahahah... that's a good one

...When a company does it it's called "free market capitalism"....when a little guy does it, evidently it's called stealing

Personally I think both are unethical...

Does it matter what it is called or who does it?   It is wrong by every definition.

Do you approve of unethical practices?

CarmineD

Reply #211   Jul 1, 2008 9:06 pm
Hello Gents:

Call it whatever [immoral, unethical, underhanded, ruthless, capitalistic, fill in the blank, etc.] but its not illegal.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #212   Jul 1, 2008 10:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Gents:

Call it whatever [immoral, unethical, underhanded, ruthless, capitalistic, fill in the blank, etc.] but its not illegal.  

Carmine D.

Do you condone it?
CarmineD

Reply #213   Jul 2, 2008 7:03 am
HS:

I never did it.  I frequently had both genuine and replacement parts.  I also had an opinion for both with prices and shared with my customers.  I let them decide.  Many times and cases the replacements were as good and better than the originals, or exactly the same, save the logo of the genuine.  Less expensive.  Sometimes considerably less to the customers. 

I saw the wave of Japanese replacement parts for vacuums in the 50 and 60's.  They were terrible.  I wouldn't buy and use these from my suppliers and parts makers.  Gradually they got better and I did.  But sold/used strictly as replacements not genuines and the customers were told and charged accordingly.  Many refused Japanese parts regardless of the cost.  And all the parts had the stickers with the place of production.  Easily came off but not by me when sold over the counter.  Truth in selling.  Especially as an authorized sales and service dealer/store for the leading vacuum brands at the time. 

If others do it, that's their business.  They can run their business as they choose.  It' s not my business what they do.  I hold myself alone to the honest standard.  Not others.  I expect honesty, but over the years get disappointed.  Good rule of thumb.  Always ask the questions and get answers.  If you don't like the answer, keep asking questions.  Eventually the truth emerges.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 2, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #214   Jul 3, 2008 7:08 am
Interesting that some [maybe just one] here impugn indies based on practices for which no concrete proof is offered.  But vacuumfreake buys a smelly old beat up vacuum on ebay [just happens to be called a dyson], overpays for it, and no one expresses concern?  Save maybe vacuumfreake?  Probably not an isolated ebay incident.

People are people.  Honest ones and dishonest ones both personally and professionally.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 3, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 205 - 214 of 316Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42