Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 35 - 44 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #35   Jun 30, 2008 10:20 pm
dusty wrote:
I would encourage you to take a look at a DC07 somewhere.  Any that I have in stock have a removable air joint and even the Dyson websites (US and Canada) clearly show a thumb tab to remove the elbow (choose the 360 view)

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

You're in Canada, and it was late to the dyson sales game.  Just the last 3 years if I understood correctly.  I suspect you're getting old dyson DC07 stock before the u bend airway was made permanent.  And the dyson pics are old.  All the DC07-s now in the USA [that I have seen in stores since the launch of 2002] have a permanent u bend airway joint.  The removable one has been obsolete here in the USA.  I speak with experience in several states on both coasts.

It's an important piece.  Without it, the vacuum has no suction in the tool mode. [FYI: The DC07 pink I bought in August 2006 from TARGET had a very permanent u bend airway joint with no thumb tab to be seen and still does]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 30, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #36   Jun 30, 2008 10:45 pm
dusty wrote:
HI Carmine,

Is this a different lawsuit from the first two?  As I understand the first Oreck / Dyson suit was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum of money.  Part of the settlement however was that Dyson could continue saying "no loss of suction" about any of it's current product sold in the USA.  When the DC18 came out, Oreck sued again over the same thing but the case was dismissed because the earlier case had been settled and was not subject to any appeal.

Dusty

Dusty:

It was not a suit with the NAD.  It was hearing with an industry sanctioned authority [NAD] whose ruling is binding on all the parties who agree to the hearing. 

I took the liberty to highlight the relevant words in your post.  Perhaps that is the reason ORECK subsequently filed a lawsuit against dyson with the DC18 and by-passed the NAD?  As I presume ORECK will do with all new dysons in the USA if the claim is used.  I believe ORECK is being encouraged by several vacuum makers [who are watching the proceedings closely] to pursue legal action against dyson.  IMHO. 

Of particular note for future:  Observe whether big box retailers use the dyson claim "Never loses suction" when advertising dysons for sale by their stores.  Most if not all avoid it.  Why?  I don't know if there is some legal reason, concern or suspicions on their part.  Or, and more importantly, they know it is false because they have real world experiences with new dysons under warranty that clog and lose suction returned by unhappy buyers.  If the latter, it will support ORECK's suit IMHO.  Is there a correlation with these dyson returns and the high number of dyson refurbs for sale?  A question that ORECK will raise and answer its court proceedings against dyson.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 30, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #37   Jul 1, 2008 1:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

You're in Canada, and it was late to the dyson sales game.  Just the last 3 years if I understood correctly.  I suspect you're getting old dyson DC07 stock before the u bend airway was made permanent.  And the dyson pics are old.  All the DC07-s now in the USA [that I have seen in stores since the launch of 2002] have a permanent u bend airway joint.  The removable one has been obsolete here in the USA.  I speak with experience in several states on both coasts.

It's an important piece.  Without it, the vacuum has no suction in the tool mode. [FYI: The DC07 pink I bought in August 2006 from TARGET had a very permanent u bend airway joint with no thumb tab to be seen and still does]. 

Carmine D.

3ish years is correct, give or take a month or two.  If I'm getting old stock, then everybody is getting old stock.  I have never seen a DC07 or DC14 with a permanent UBend (a trip to Future Shop this evening affirms this) .   Perhaps it's just something at has happened on American models?  The Dyson US website also shows how to remove a blockage from the UBend in all DC07's, the pink included. Kind of odd they haven't updated since they launched, don't you think?

I agree it's an important piece.  We make a point of showing our customers how to maintain the product they are buying and most would agree it's a good idea to have access points if a blockage were to occur. Case in point, we removed a pencil crayon from said area after a customers kid was a little over zealous cleaning their room.  The customer btw, had previously bought from Linens and Things...before you go accusing me of not really explaining my product very well :-)

Dusty
This message was modified Jul 1, 2008 by dusty
Motorhead

Reply #38   Jul 1, 2008 1:40 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Carmine D.

Carmine, let me ask you a somewhat philosophical question:  Is the U-bend permanent simply because you do not know how to take it off?  Or, rather, because you do not know how to remove the U-bend, does that mean everyone should believe it is permanent? 
This message was modified Jul 1, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jul 1, 2008 7:03 am
Motor, Dusty:

Well let me say this:  The dyson u bend airway joint does NOT come off and stay off as easily as it did with the original launch of the DC07-s.  At that time, it had a prominent thumb tab that users stepped on to release the handle.  Only to learn that the u bend air way joint fell off and no one could replace it.  The dyson Users Guide didn't address it's removal and replacement at the time  Tool suction was zip.  Frequently, the piece was found sitting along side the display models and/or still in the box in the warehouse.

My DC07 pink, now retired from service for inability to perform as well as less expensive uprights, has no thumb tab to remove the joint, has not fallen off ,and has not been taken off since August 2006.  That makes it permanent to me.  Certainly makes it retooled from the original form and design.  How's that for dyson accuracy and correctness?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 1, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #40   Jul 1, 2008 7:20 am
Dusty, you may not recall, but it is common knowledge that many dyson users, not just me, and even dyson fans criticized the first wave of dyson vacuums for having miscellaneous pieces that fall off. 

Consumer Reports was most vocal.  Motor should remember very well the very first Consumer Reports review of the dyson DC07.  Why?  It was a lousy review.  Why?  CR was extremely critical of the dirt bin on the DC07.  Why?  The release button to disengage it from the vacuum was prone to be pressed when picked up by the bin handle by the user.  Result:  The user was left holding the dirty bin and the vacuum (18 pounds) was on the user's foot.  There is a picture engraved in my mind of the dirty deed in action in the CR edition.  Not Mr. D's finest hour.

Dyson corrected that problem too.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #41   Jul 1, 2008 7:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
Motor, Dusty:

Well let me say this:  The dyson u bend airway joint does NOT come come off and stay off as easily as it did with the original launch of the DC07-s.  At that time, it had a prominent thumb tab that users stepped on to release the handle.  Only to learn that the u bend air way joint fell off and no one could replace it.  The dyson Users Guide didn't address it's removal and replacement at the time  Tool suction was zip.  Frequently, the piece was found sitting along side the display models and/or still in the box in the warehouse.

My DC07 pink, now retired from service for inability to perform as well as less expensive uprights, has no thumb tab to remove the joint, has not fallen off ,and has not been taken off since August 2006.  That makes it permanent to me.  Certainly makes it retooled from the original form and design.  How's that for dyson accuracy and correctness?

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I think your pink was sabotaged and marked ' for sale to Carmine' .

Are you now saying that the joint is not permanent but not as easily removed?

I purchased my DC07 about 3 years ago and it had the removable joint.  I never incurred a problem with it. 

CarmineD

Reply #42   Jul 1, 2008 7:44 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,

I think your pink was sabotaged and marked ' for sale to Carmine' .

Are you now saying that the joint is not permanent but not as easily removed?

I purchased my DC07 about 3 years ago and it had the removable joint.  I never incurred a problem with it. 

HS:

Yes, that's what I said based on a little assistance from Motor and Dusty.  It's permanent unless deliberately and intentionally removed with effort and forethought.  No longer does it fall off accidently and unintentially and remain off.

Please read my post about the Consumer Reports review and the DC07 dirt bin.  It's a dyson and CR classic.  I'm sure you never had the same problem as CR either with your dirt bin.  Doesn't mean it didn't exist.  Just means dyson, to its credit, took CR's criticism seriously and corrected the problems.  You may not recall/don't remember.  You were not posting on the vacuum Forums at the time, to my knowledge, as HARDSELL.

You're getting better HS.  Use to be you blamed my carpets: Mohawk wool loop medium pile.  Builder grade you called it.  Which it is not.  I special ordered.   Now you say the dyson vacuum was sabotaged.  If it is the latter, it was a permanent sabotage by dyson during the design, manufacture, and production.  It failed not just me but 2 other users too in their home carpet vacuuming.  You know what happens and the result.  Gawdawful ratcheting noise, brush roll stops turning, no cleaning being done.  Since all 3 of us have household pets, the constant ratcheting noise drove the poor animals wild.  Probably gave them permanent hearing loss and fear of vacuums. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #43   Jul 1, 2008 9:06 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Yes, that's what I said based on a little assistance from Motor and Dusty.  It's permanent unless deliberately and intentionally removed with effort and forethought.  No longer does it fall off accidently and unintentially and remain off.

Please read my post about the Consumer Reports review and the DC07 dirt bin.  It's a dyson and CR classic.  I'm sure you never had the same problem as CR either with your dirt bin.  Doesn't mean it didn't exist.  Just means dyson, to its credit, took CR's criticism seriously and corrected the problems.  You may not recall/don't remember.  You were not posting on the vacuum Forums at the time, to my knowledge, as HARDSELL.

You're getting better HS.  Use to be you blamed my carpets: Mohawk wool loop medium pile.  Builder grade you called it.  Which it is not.  I special ordered.   Now you say the dyson vacuum was sabotaged.  If it is the latter, it was a permanent sabotage by dyson during the design, manufacture, and production.  It failed not just me but 2 other users too in their home carpet vacuuming.  You know what happens and the result.  Gawdawful ratcheting noise, brush roll stops turning, no cleaning being done.  Since all 3 of us have household pets, the constant ratcheting noise drove the poor animals wild.  Probably gave them permanent hearing loss and fear of vacuums. 

Carmine D.

So you incorrectly stated more than once that it was permanent.  What else have you told the forum that was a figment of your imagination?

dusty

Reply #44   Jul 1, 2008 10:15 am
CarmineD wrote:

Well let me say this:  The dyson u bend airway joint does NOT come off and stay off as easily as it did with the original launch of the DC07-s. 

Then we also should also say that it is indeed a removable part and that Dyson corrected the problem and it is no longer an issue.

Dusty
Replies: 35 - 44 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42