Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 154 - 163 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #154   Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Missed you Motor, welcome back.  I recall you did, but didn't want to say.  Since I consider myself at least at one time as anti-ORECK as you.  And HS only asked for one.  JUST made the same comment too about the ORECK store he visited.  If I recall, he got a great deal on a RICCAR and bought it. 

The ORECK XL-21 Titanium has a bigger fan, more powerful motor, and uses less electricity than the smaller ORECK motors.  Also has a more aggressive brush roll.  All the other ORECK-s use the same motor.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

You continue to be an habitual liar.  Nothing that you have said indicates that you are anti-Oreck, until you could not produce a name for anyone who complimented the Oreck stores.

Who are you referring to as getting a Riccar and making a comment about the store they visited.

MH is right all the way, especially about no customers in the store. 

I suspect htat the largest % of sales are direct order so the customer gets a gift.  Remember that Oreck has to resort to gimmeckry to sell vacuums.

CarmineD

Reply #155   Jun 24, 2008 7:17 am
mole wrote:
There seems to be a little controversy on this,Was the whirlwind in the mid or late 1800's,the first suction machine?. Royal at the time known as the P.A. Geier company started in 1905, Kirby claims 1906,

And the OHIO TUECK, dont know the date,

I really dont know BOOTH got the credit?

mole

The Booth saga is ancient vacuum history.  My memory is not that good. 

Up to the time [late 1890's], cleaning dust was done by blowing the dirt out and catching it.  Save the push and pull carpet sweepers by BISSELL and the like that were around in the late 1800-s.  And the hand pump suction style cleaners around the early 1900-s/turn of the 20th Century.  The latter hand powered carried a 1907 'vacuum' patent by law.

Booth got the idea of suction and described it to an American inventor who had a 'blowing' contraption demoed at the London's Empire Music Hall.  It was used to clean railway carriages.  Booth was a fairground wheel engineer and got the idea to add a fan creating vacuum which sucks dirt rather than blows.  He used petro to power the motor.  He patented his vacuum cleaner in 1901 and launched the British Vacuum Cleaner Company to market the Puffing Billy.  Red box on wheels.  Like a fire engine.  Uniformed men did the cleaning by passing flexible tubes [hoses] through the windows of residences and sucking out the dust.  Booth didn't want to market just hire out.  To my knowledge that was the first usage of the word 'vacuum.' Belongs to a Brit.

Spangler and HOOVER united in the USA in 1907 and mass marketed the HOOVER uprights in 1908 including in Great Britain by 1912.  HOOVER were the first mass produced vacuums for sale [$75] in the USA .  Royal in the USA was earlier [1905] with a tank not an upright.  Electrolux too [in Sweden] around 1913 with a tank, the Lux 1.  Not sure about Kirby being around that early in the game  First, I recall KIRBY, was the early 30's.   Tueck was a push power fan operated upright.  Primitive.  Better than the pump suction hand vacuums at the time [around turn of the 20th century].  The latter similar to insect and vegetable sprayers were produced in cities that had metal and iron foundries for local sales and use.

We have a poster here with hereditary links to Kirby and is the owner of an Ohio Tueck.  Maybe Jim Kirby can assist with some of this vacuum history.

Carmine D

This message was modified Jun 24, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #156   Jun 24, 2008 1:56 pm
BEST BUY on-line now carries ORECK vacuums.  One talked about here the XL21 gets 4 out of 5 stars based on 40 reviews.  The BEST BUY Site says the following verbatim:

Oreck XL21. It's destined to become the standard by which all other vacuums are judged because it comes with an unprecedented 21-year Guarantee and 21 years of FREE tune-ups! From the bottom of its double-helix, high-speed, pile-lifting roller brushes, to the top of its redesigned comfort fit Helping Hand Handle, the XL21 delivers unsurpassed power and maneuverability.

http://www.bestbuys.com/p24159261-Oreck-XL21-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum--reviews.html

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #157   Jun 24, 2008 2:59 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BEST BUY on-line now carries ORECK vacuums.  One talked about here the XL21 gets 4 out of 5 stars based on 40 reviews.  The BEST BUY Site says the following verbatim:

Oreck XL21. It's destined to become the standard by which all other vacuums are judged because it comes with an unprecedented 21-year Guarantee and 21 years of FREE tune-ups! From the bottom of its double-helix, high-speed, pile-lifting roller brushes, to the top of its redesigned comfort fit Helping Hand Handle, the XL21 delivers unsurpassed power and maneuverability.

http://www.bestbuys.com/p24159261-Oreck-XL21-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum--reviews.html

Carmine D.

This isn't Best Buy...it's Best Buys, which has nothing to do with the Best Buy chain. Best Buys is simply an affiliate for Shopping.com and gets paid by sending traffic to participating merchants.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 24, 2008 by dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #158   Jun 24, 2008 5:58 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
May be of interest…
Hunters Senior Vice President of Sales – Art Massey (formerly Hunter’s vice president of marketing and product development) 
demoed an air purifier on HSN back in February, 2008.  During the demonstration he said, “I coined this phrase here on HSN 
about 8 years ago folks, and this is the truth…  But you hear the other guy (Oreck) say it and he stole it from me and that’s a fact!” 
 “If you’re going to clean the air then you have to move the air.”
 “If you’re going to clean the air then you have to move the air.”

DIB:

This is a statement of fact you quoted.

Statements of fact are not "coined" by authors at the exclusion of use by all others.

If this gentleman believes they are, and you too, then he and you have a skewed sense of perspective.

Certainly one I do not hold.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 20, 2008 by CarmineD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is one of 1 of 159 trademarks owned by Oreck....

CarmineD

Reply #159   Jun 24, 2008 6:23 pm
dusty wrote:
This isn't Best Buy...it's Best Buys, which has nothing to do with the Best Buy chain. Best Buys is simply an affiliate for Shopping.com and gets paid by sending traffic to participating merchants.

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

Thank you again.  You are correct.  I was wrong.  Interesting rating for the ORECK XL 21.   Of course only 40 reviews, but still an 80 percent overall.  Not too bad.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #160   Jun 24, 2008 6:32 pm
DIB:

Please correct me if I'm wrong [As Dusty did].

It appears that the notice of the trademark is published for comment and in particular for "protest/opposition."  I presume the reason for this is to allow ORECK to stake its claim as originator and/or others to protest/oppose as originator.  During this time of notice, why didn't the supposed originator protest?  And if he fails to do so, isn't he/she preempted from doing so after the due date? 

In other words, anyone could say they were first.  But, if you didn't record/protest the official recordation within the time period allowed, you are preempted from any legal recourse.  In other words, you're out of luck.  ORECK wins by virtue of recording first and not meeting with any official protest in the alloted time to do so.  Is this correct from your perspective?

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #161   Jun 24, 2008 6:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Thank you again.  You are correct.  I was wrong.  Interesting rating for the ORECK XL 21.   Of course only 40 reviews, but still an 80 percent overall.  Not to bad.

Carmine D.

Same could be said for the Dyson DC15.  Four and a half stars out of five.

http://www.bestbuys.com/p24122475-Dyson-DC15-All-Floors---The-Ball-Bagless-Upright-Cyclonic-Vacuum--reviews.html

To each their own, shall we say.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 24, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #162   Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm
Dusty:

I would add one more observation to make the ORECK XL 21's star rating interesting based on 40 epinions.  Consumer Reports typically and consistently rates this ORECK model above all the dysons save one: the DC17.  So while each their own sounds good, the epinions and CR reviews for ORECK are congruent.  I can't say the same for the epinions star ratings and CR reviews for other brands like dyson which typically gets fair to middlin from CR.

Also Dusty if you don't mind me saying: When you put parens around the http site as you did in your post above, the site can't be found.

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #163   Jun 24, 2008 7:59 pm
I corrected the link.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Dusty
Replies: 154 - 163 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42