Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Original Message   Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm
I checked with Eureka, no longer available, checked with a few distributors, no generic bags available either. These fit the ancient 900 series models (rotomatic) Are there any substitutes a guy could use instead??
Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Reply #25   Sep 6, 2008 5:18 am
Mike_W wrote:
Ah, so that is where you got your info for Michael.  Notice nowhere did it say  "Do Not Wash the Bag".  HOOVER, and others, wanted to make maintenance of their machines easy.  Users would not wash their bag nor would they sweep it out.  Who wants to clean their shake out vacuum bag.  Hey, plenty of vacuum makers told people to empty their bags after every use.  But did they do that? No.  What do they do if the bag needed to be cleaned?  They would  take it to the vac shop and it would be hooked up to a machine that brushes it for them.

Howdy Mike,

No, that's not where I get my information.  It was the first available example.  There are a number of home care books I read during those days that didn't promote the idea of washing vacuum bags either.  The feeling being that many were chemically treated or made in a fashion that washing in water might undo .   And, in answer to your question -- nowhere did it say "Wash"?  The argument works both ways.  To my mind, if a manufacturer specifically gives instruction to shake out or brush off a cloth bag and does not make mention of washing -- you don't wash it.  It's a common sense call.

Who wants to clean their shake-out vacuum bag?  Obviously people who wanted to keep the vacuum.  You are also talking of a time when vacuums were expected to last.  Most people were aware that if you wanted something around for a while, you took care of it.  The task wasn't pleasant but neither was diaper washing -- also a common practice at the time.

Having lived during the time when tank-type and canister vacuums with cloth bags were bountiful and having used them, the usual idea was to shake out the bag well to keep the vacuum running at its best.  No, most folks did not empty their vacuums after every use.  But, when you did, you laid newspaper on the floor, placed the open end of bag on it and held down the ring and shook out the bag.  You got more paper or moved the bag to a new spot on the paper and shook it out again.  This process was repeated until, if not any all, at least a minimal amount of dust appeared on the paper when you lifted the bag away.  And the larger part of vacuums I saw, many purchased before I was born,  fared well enough.  This was also the usual method for wide-mouthed Hoover upright bags.  As well, I actually knew someone who would set her Hoover upright out on her back steps when she thought the bag needed a good cleaning. She'd undo the clip at the top and lay the still atttached bag flat, then turn the vacuum on and pat the bag until it was blown clean.  Canisters and tanks could also be set outside and the hose, attached to the blower port could be use to blow their dust bags clean as well.

In any event, we're spared all that now as everything is disposable -- including the vacuum cleaner.

Venson

This message was modified Sep 6, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #26   Sep 6, 2008 6:59 am
Venson wrote:
Howdy Mike,

And, in answer to your question -- nowhere did it say "Wash"?  The argument works both ways.  To my mind, if a manufacturer specifically gives instruction to shake out or brush off a cloth bag and does not make mention of washing -- you don't wash it.  It's a common sense call.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Common sense is very uncommon. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 6, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #27   Sep 6, 2008 7:04 am
Hello Tennessee HARDSELL:

You let me down.  I thought for sure you [of all persons] would call me on my coffee drinking!  You're losing your touch.

BTW, did you ever filter your morning brewed coffee using your socks?  Even after washing in water?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Sep 6, 2008 8:11 am
Venson wrote:
Howdy Mike,

Who wants to clean their shake-out vacuum bag?  Obviously people who wanted to keep the vacuum.  You are also talking of a time when vacuums were expected to last.  Most people were aware that if you wanted something around for a while, you took care of it.  The task wasn't pleasant but neither was diaper washing -- also a common practice at the time.

Venson

Hi Venson:

You, like me, remember these days well.  Generally, the woman of the house set aside one day a week for a specific household chore.  Like washing clothes, by hand, on Monday.  Baking bread/desserts on Tuesday.  Oven cleaning on Wednesday.  Housecleaning on Thursday.  Grocery shopping which included a visit to the butcher on Friday, and so on.  Vacuuming was not a daily task.  Emptying the bag after each use was not as uncommon as it may sound in today's terms. 

My grandmother, her soul rest in peace, had a straight suction Eureka upright from 1915 with all the attachments.  When she instructed the family members to vacuum, it always included a PS: Don't forget to empty the bag.  And she demonstrated the instructions you so eloquently cited/sited.  Tho, she was no higher than 5 foot, all obeyed.  I recently donated that vacuum away, still in original working condition with the same cloth bag [never washed even by hand].  I was forced several years back to replace the cord.  The inner wiring insulation dried out.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #29   Sep 6, 2008 8:21 am
Venson wrote:
Howdy Mike,

As well, I actually knew someone who would set her Hoover upright out on her back steps when she thought the bag needed a good cleaning. She'd undo the clip at the top and lay the still atttached bag flat, then turn the vacuum on and pat the bag until it was blown clean.  Venson

Hi Venson:

Smart person.  Some vacuum repairers used a similar method to undue dust packs in the Convertible HOOVER-s.  A quick and dirty way to clear blockages in the bag tube which inevitably occurred due to gravity.  Remove the paper, turn the vacuum away, turn on and run a clothes hanger through the tube.  Then reinstall a new bag and carry on.  [Of course there was usually a dust pack in the motor housing but this needed disassembly to correct.]

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #30   Sep 6, 2008 9:06 am
Hi Carmine,

Wow, that's a new one for me.  Did the owner only change the bag every leap year for the blockage to develop?

Best,

Venson

Motorhead

Reply #31   Sep 6, 2008 11:05 am
Very interesting.  First we had vacuums that could clog frequently but were always easy to clear blockages from thanks to the direct dirt path, now we have vacuums that (either with a system of cyclones or enhanced filtering material in the bags) clog less frequently but (thanks to complicated internal ducting, etc.) are virtually impossible to unclog in the event of one without major disassembly.  Seems we've taken a step backwards in some ways.

-MH
This message was modified Sep 6, 2008 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #32   Sep 6, 2008 11:55 am
Motorhead wrote:
. . .now we have vacuums that (either with a system of cyclones or enhanced filtering material in the bags) clog less frequently but (thanks to complicated internal ducting, etc.) are virtually impossible to unclog in the event of one without major disassembly.  Seems we've taken a step backwards in some ways.

-MH

Hiya MH,

I've always maintained that design means everything.  Complex designs that hinder easy repair or replacement mean a trip back to the shop and trips back to the shop seem to be what the "service contract" was invented for.  Hate to be cynical but I don't think in future we'll see improvement. 

I recall Shetland Lewyt having put out a series of "modular" vacuums in the past.  It pitched claims of easy repair and maintenace because the cleaners were supposedly designed  to allow easy access to motor units, filters, etc., but the series didn't last long.  I don't whether that was because vacuums failed to live up to the claims or because there wasn't much consumer interest.

Some of Nilfisk's vacuums have similar qualities and parts are just a phone call away but they're pricey.  Sebo claims easy disassembly for maintenance in regard to its uprights.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #33   Sep 8, 2008 7:56 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Wow, that's a new one for me.  Did the owner only change the bag every leap year for the blockage to develop?

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Based on experience, some vacuum users change bags once in a blue moon. 

With the old fashioned HOOVER Convertible design, the dirt in the bottom fill bag would fall down into the bag tube/bellows after the vacuum was turned off and stored.  This was especially the case if boot leg paper bags were used.  Over time a huge dust pack [dirt clog] would build up in the bag tube/bellows [even motor housing] until the vacuum had no suction.  In fact, dirt would shoot out of the vacuum.  A condition called 'negative suction.'   The above technique, that your friend wisely used too for her cloth bag, was a quick and dirty fix until the vacuum could be disassembled and repaired correctly.

Oftentimes, the dust pack built up so much in the fan housing, that the motor would not run.  Just hum.  Then, the disassembly was a must to repair correctly.

HOOVER, after many years of the Convertible run, made a top fill paper [like the old fashioned F&G bags].  This was also available to retro fit on the bottom fill Convertibles.  This cured the problem for the most part.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 8, 2008 by CarmineD
Vernon

Reply #34   Sep 10, 2008 11:17 am
Michael,

No I haven't tried the bags from SVC yet.

Sorry for not responding sooner!

Vernon
Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42