Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 107 - 116 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #107   Jun 19, 2008 8:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:

See unlike a big box retailer who doesn't stand behind the vacuum products it sells, ALL ORECK buyers/users praise ORECK for honoring its warranties.  My theory is because ORECK sells its vacuums from ORECK owned and operated stores nationwide.  Has for over 45 years. 

Carmine D. 

You need to read more and talk less.
dusty

Reply #108   Jun 19, 2008 10:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I have never heard of an ORECK motor burning out during the 30 day free home trial period.  Or an ORECK motor going bad under the 3-5-8-10 year warranty periods.  Never.  If you do, post it here.  It will be a first.  I heard of one case where an ORECK motor went bad after 20 years but came with a 21 year warranty.  ORECK replaced it free: Parts and labor.

See unlike a big box retailer who doesn't stand behind the vacuum products it sells, ALL ORECK buyers/users praise ORECK for honoring its warranties.  My theory is because ORECK sells its vacuums from ORECK owned and operated stores nationwide.  Has for over 45 years. 

While I don't doubt you love your Oreck I think to say that ALL Oreck customers praise Oreck for honoring warranties is a bit of a stretch.  A quick search on the net finds not everyone quite as pleased as yourself.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-6320-oreck-xl-series-upright.aspx

I am curious to know your thoughts on the Oreck Air Cleaner, something that many consider one of the worst products on the market yet it is still pushed heavily by Oreck and its stores.

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #109   Jun 19, 2008 11:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Really HS.  That remind me of a post here posted by one of our regulars about a brand new dyson that burned out during the customer return period.  The retailer refused to accept it for a customer credit because the user didn't clean the filters.  Said it voided the warranty and the return policy.  A rep here from dyson called it a lemon!!

I have never heard of an ORECK motor burning out during the 30 day free home trial period.  Or an ORECK motor going bad under the 3-5-8-10 year warranty periods.  Never.  If you do, post it here.  It will be a first.  I heard of one case where an ORECK motor went bad after 20 years but came with a 21 year warranty.  ORECK replaced it free: Parts and labor.

Carmine D. 

Good Points

Uh, it came with an iron? And, yeah it really is light weight.

Bad Points

Not enough power, awkard cord management on canister, poor service (so far by retailer).

We had the Oreck XL for a few months when it started becoming more difficult to pick up with it. We finally took it to the retailer for an inspection (after making sure it was not the belt or bag) and they told us Resolve Carpet Cleaner (or "that white stuff" as they called it) was ruining the motor. Uh, we used "that white stuff" on our previous vacuum for serveral years with no problem. You just sprinkle the granuals on the carpet, brush them in with the brush, and vaccum thorougly as the Resolve directions state. Same as I have always done. Well apparently the Resolve "was ruining the motor." Seems to me a vacuum that cannot overcome Resolve Carpet Cleaner is poorly made. I never thought this thing had much power when we bought it, but after owing an Electrolux previously, I figured that was the way the rest of the vacuums performed, knowing Electrolux was the high end of vacuums. So anyway, this thing does not have much power or durability. The retailer is blaming us for the condition of this vaccum, even though the truth is it is cheaply made and that is why it performs as it does. We will now try to get Orek to replace the motor, but I suspect we will have no success. Also, on the canister, which has performed well, the cord has to be manually wrapped around the machine which is awkward and time consuming. Now that I have read the reviews, I see that this vacuum is commonly thought of as overpriced, underpowered, and with too narrow of a hose (easily clogs). Bottom line is there are better vacuums for about the same amount of money. Here's a wake up call to myself and everyone reading this, when you have to give away an iron with a product to sell it, it probably isn't that good of a product. Live and learn.

# 2

Bad Points

Pet hair wraps around the roller brush. The belts wear out quickly.

General Comments

I bought an Oreck XL vacuum cleaner. I have two dogs, so I vacuum almost every day. I have to stop every 10-15 minutes to clean all the dog hair off of the roller brush. The problem is even worse when the belt is worn. I have to change the belt every 1-1/2 to 2 months (not every 6 months as the manual states). I sent an email to Oreck about my problem. They suggested that I pick up the dog hair first before I vacuum? I thought that is why I bought the vacuum in the first place! Read the online reviews before you buy. Orecks are not rated very high.

# 3

Good Points

The noise helps to block out the husband/children/neighbours!!!

Bad Points

Loose handle. Drive belts pops off at every opportunity. Its styling looks old, its moveablity is out dated - stiff and basic.

General Comments

The Oreck XL will not pick up a bowling ball and the handle needs tightening after every use, the motor belts is always popping off and is so hard to get back on I have to wait for my husband to get home before I can finish cleaning. If you want back ache this is the appliance for you - its quality is truly non existent. We are looking for a better vacuum.

# 4

Good Points

light

Bad Points

doesn't work.

General Comments

The ORECK vacuum "cleaner" is advertised all the time on American radio. The ad campaign is very slick. This spokesman is a nice older soundiing guy who claims to be the gentle stately gentleman who has designed and engineered the Oreck vacuum cleaner just for you and is only interested in selliing this reliable economical machine for your benifit. DON"T BELIVE IT! They sell for about $300.00 and are about $300.00 over priced. It is such a piece of absolute garbage. The only reason it's "light" is because there's nothing to this "toy" of a machine but cheap platic. It's advertised as "hypoallergenic". WHOO EEE ! talk about a lie! The 'hypo-allergenic" filter in this thing consists of a retangular object that looks like 1/3rd of a used kitchen cleaning sponge. It's literally about 2 inches long, an inch wide and a 1/8 of an inch thick (that's about 2 millimeters for you Euros). This thing is so cheaply made that the motor doesn't even line up with the brush, so it's constently going through belts. We had it a year, went through 4 belts and an expensive brush and many smelly "cleaning sessions" before we said "screw it" and put it in the garbage pile. This is the most over priced, over advertised product I have ever seen. And don't believe the whole "30 days or your money back..." routine. They count the 30 days beginning when you order it, and must have it shipped back in the greedy little hands before the 30 days are up, so you realistically have about 4 days to try it out. If you like being kicked in the face, than buy this piece of worthless junk; otherwise buy a goat to chew on you carpet; it'll do a better job!

# 5

Good Points

Light weight.

Bad Points

I can't find anyone who does warranty work. Doesn't pick up surface or deep dirt, hair, etc. Have to order bags online.

General Comments

The Oreck XL is a very expensive vacuum that doesn't work. It throws out dust and won't pick up even surface lint. I am very disappointed. I called the company and asked for a part and they assured they would mail, but never heard from them again. Can't find anyone to do warranty work. Bags are not available except through the internet. Would not recommend. Bought top of the line, but it is not worth plugging in.

HARDSELL

Reply #110   Jun 19, 2008 11:05 pm
Another site showing only top rated vacuums.  Oreck failed to earn a top rating.  They had to buy an ad to be on the page.

http://www.smart-review.com/vacuumcleaners.html

Notice that the none listed tops Dyson.

This message was modified Jun 19, 2008 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #111   Jun 20, 2008 12:39 am
FROM AN ORECK DEALER

Sorry to tell you the Oreck vacuum is the weakest vacuum I sell. Hard to put a 8 pound motor in a 8 pound vacuum. The Oreck has around 17 inches in water lift, which is how much water it can lift in a one inch tube at sea level. Most vacuums have 60 to 120+. A push carpet sweeper can take things off the top of the carpet and it has no power. The Oreck has just enough air flow to put things in the bag. The bag is dust free. To bad the swivel elbow at the fan leeks dust back into the room. I do not care what people buy as long as they know what they get. Who do you think pays for millions of dollar advertising. Yes you. Remember the original derivation of HEPA represented "High Efficiency Particulate Arresting" filter. The term "Particulate Air" conveys no meaning. So your window screens can be a hepa type filter it can stop any thing the size of your finger 100%. Look for the microns of filtrations of the bags. Suction is a made up word. Suction is the creation of a partial vacuumor

FROM  CONSUMERS

# 1

I have both an Oreck XL and a Dyson DC14 Animal. The Oreck has a bag and bags leak out when the vacuum is on. A lot of dust and fine particles can be released from the Oreck while you are using it.

Although it can lift a bowling ball due to the pressure/area trick it is not a strong vacuum. The Oreck leaves a lot of dirt behind and the roller brush is a liability. The Dyson wins the suction contest hands down particularly on bare floors because it travels low and forms a seal with the floor.

The first time I used the Dyson, I had a grinding sound coming from the vacuum in the carpet setting. I called Dyson on a Sunday morning and the service people walked me through the problem that I could fix myself. About 10 minutes after I called Dyson my problem was fixed over the phone.

There is one big drawback to a Dyson. When you first get it and use it you will be dumping the canister several times during the course of your cleaning because the Dyson is picking up so much dirt.

We have a dog and keep his hair cut short because he has a tendency to shed. We had a hair problem in the house and bag vacuums could not handle it. The Dyson not only removes the dog hair but everything else around the vacuum. It makes a suction circle which picks up everything in the vicinity of the vacuum, allowing for a better cleaning job.

The Dyson DC14 is the best vacuum cleaner we ever bought. Despite its price it is well worth every cent.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #112   Jun 20, 2008 6:20 am
dusty wrote:
While I don't doubt you love your Oreck I think to say that ALL Oreck customers praise Oreck for honoring warranties is a bit of a stretch.  A quick search on the net finds not everyone quite as pleased as yourself.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-6320-oreck-xl-series-upright.aspx

I am curious to know your thoughts on the Oreck Air Cleaner, something that many consider one of the worst products on the market yet it is still pushed heavily by Oreck and its stores.

Dusty

May be of interest…
Hunters Senior Vice President of Sales – Art Massey (formerly Hunter’s vice president of marketing and product development) 
demoed an air purifier on HSN back in February, 2008.  During the demonstration he said, “I coined this phrase here on HSN 
about 8 years ago folks, and this is the truth…  But you hear the other guy (Oreck) say it and he stole it from me and that’s a fact!” 
 “If you’re going to clean the air then you have to move the air.”

CarmineD

Reply #113   Jun 20, 2008 6:23 am
HARDSELL wrote:

The Dyson DC14 is the best vacuum cleaner we ever bought. Despite its price it is well worth every cent.

HARDSELL:

The last statement you excerpted and I quoted is the most relavant.  Why?  Was this the poster and statement that resulted in you selling the DC07 and buying the DC14?  What did you do after buying the DC14?  Return it because you didn't like it.  The poster is claiming that the dyson you bought and returned because you were dissatisfied with it, is the best and worth the money.  That contradicts your actions.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 20, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #114   Jun 20, 2008 6:30 am
Dusty:

Obviously, no product pleases everyone.  People being people are all different.  ORECK is no exception.  As are ORECK buyers and users.  But a product that has a 45 year rep and respected standing in the industry with a nationwide network of stores totalling 475 is well on the way to trying.

Even HOOVER, during its glory days of having the majority vacuum market share year after year, had many detractors: They were called Lux, Kirby, Air Way, Filter Queen, EUREKA, and ORECK buyers and users.  And I could mention others.

Air purifiers are not on my agenda.  At least not yet. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #115   Jun 20, 2008 7:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL:

The last statement you excerpted and I quoted is the most relavant.  Why?  You went to great lengths to find a few posts that trashed ORECK and praised dyson.  I could do the same with any vacuum brands.  People being people, they all have different likes and dislikes. 

The last statement of your excerpt is key.  Why?  The dyson poster is claiming that the dyson you bought and returned because you were dissatisfied with it, is the best and worth the money.  That contradicts your actions.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

You are partially correct.  A search will reveal both satisfied and unsatisfied customers with all brands.  I coukd have excerpted more than a few posts reporting poor performance from Orecks.

I did not have to go to great lengths to find bad reviews about Oreck.  In fact there are more positive reviews.  The same applies to Dyson.  I agree that preferences vary.  My point is that Oreck users have problems that you deny as existing.  In my research I have found many more incidents of Orecks clogging than Dyson.  No need for you to rehash the Dyson filter clogging.  If a filter does not clog where does the dust go?  Since all vacuums that you favor are know for spewing dust maybe you can answer that.  Burned out belts are a major problem for Oreck. 

It is very possible that the DC 14 was the best vacuum that the poster ever owned since he never owned a DC 07.  That person did claim the Dyson was better than the Oreck.  I owned both and share that opinion.  Where is the contradiction?    BTW,  I never claimed the DC 14 to be a poor performer.  I just prefer the 07.  I also never claimed that my current vacuums are better than Dyson.  You have stated that the Oreck is better than your Hoovers.

This site alone has 5 persons giving 5 stars to Dyson and one giving 4 stars.  None of them bashed another brand.  On the other hand you are the only one to post on an Oreck and you (as usual) only reported so that you could trash Dyson in the same review.  Since you find the Oreck to be superior to Hoover why did you fail to mention that.  All who read your posts are aware of your vehement dislike for Dyson and likely place little or no credence in your statements. 

CarmineD

Reply #116   Jun 20, 2008 7:12 am
HS:

I'd like to respond to you but it looks like this thread is heading off the screen.

Time to let it go else as Lucky1 says it will suffer the same ignominious end as the former.

Carmine D.

Replies: 107 - 116 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42