Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 5:01 am
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by rjg2
Replies: 49 - 58 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Reply #49   Jun 8, 2008 2:06 pm
dusty wrote:
The Hoover Foldaway has at least six screws that need to be undone.  Who has time for that?  And the belt...they always look so small and are so hard to put on.  More time needed.  Better wait for the husband to get home so he can do it.  Is that really a better solution than emptying a bin weekly and washing a foam, mostly dust free filter every 3 months?

Dusty

Dusty:

Is it fair to compare a $100 bagless [HOOVER Fold-away] with a $500 plus dyson for strengths and weaknesses?  No, not really.  Compare dyson with other $500 plus indy-vacuum store brands.  What do you decide to sell?

dusty wrote:

As people in the vacuum industry we all know Dyson isn't the best product out there but really, it just doesn't matter.  The consumer looks at it as a no hassle vacuum, no more belts, no more bags, no more cartridges to buy.  In a time of new found eco friendlyness, the Dyson appeals to the masses.

Dusty

Dusty:

Here's where the argument for dyson appeal breaks down.  We know the myths and truths about dysons now.  Fair to middle of the road performer.  Filters clog.  Same filter maintenance required as the less expensive brands.  But the highest big box store vacuum prices.  Compare dyson bagless to other big box store bagless.  Why does dyson deserve the highest prices?  No longer can the dyson fans point to the filter free cares of dyson as the reason.  Can't argue the dyson 5 year warranty.  Other big box store brands have the same.  Now according to DIB, its the ball technology.  The ball that failed with the DC15.  I don't buy that argument.  Neither do others.  The dyson case for high prices falls apart there.  Be they at the big box stores and/or the indy-s. 

MOLE's right.  The dyson gig is up.  As ACERONE posted, most of the small dyson business dealers, like himself, are long ago out of business.  The big dyson dealers will follow.  The dyson honeymoon in the US is over.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jun 8, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #50   Jun 8, 2008 2:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

Is it fair to compare a $100 bagless [HOOVER Fold-away] with a $500 plus dyson for strengths and weaknesses?  No, not really.  Compare dyson with other $500 plus indy-vacuum store brands.  What do you decide to sell?

Dusty:

Here's where the argument for dyson appeal breaks down.  We know the myths and truths about dysons now.  Fair to middle of the road performer.  Filters clog.  Same filter maintenance required as the less expensive brands.  But the highest big box store vacuum prices.  Compare dyson bagless to other big box store bagless.  Why does dyson deserve the highest prices?  No longer can the dyson fans point to the filter free cares of dyson as the reason.  Can't argue the dyson 5 year warranty.  Other big box store brands have the same.  Now according to DIB, its the ball technology.  The ball that failed with the DC15.  I don't buy that argument.  Neither do others.  The dyson case for high prices falls apart there.  Be they at the big box stores and/or the indy-s. 

MOLE's right.  The dyson gig is up.  As ACERONE posted, most of the small dyson business dealers, like himself, are long ago out of business.  The big dyson dealers will follow.  The dyson honeymoon in the US is over.

Carmine D. 

You are always the first to compare all brands with Dyson.   I don't recall you taking (as example) an Oreck thread and start with the merits of Hoover, Miele or others.Thanks for the flattery. 

The less expensive brands do not filter so well so why worry with cleaning the filter.  My experience is that most dirt is past the filter in these.

As usual you left out the main reason that consumers choose Dyson, PERFORMANCE.

How many times have you told us that the Dyson gig is up and that Hoover would survive? Your batting average is not so good. 

HARDSELL

Reply #51   Jun 8, 2008 2:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

If you compare dyson models to other big box store [bagged] brands, I would agree with you in part on the hassle factor for bagged vacuums.  But as we know from HARDSELL, there are a plethora of bagless brands in the big box stores too that compete with dyson and are much less expensive.  All the bagless advantages that you cite for dyson apply to these brands too.  No longer can dyson perpetuate the myth that its filters don't clog and require minimal maintenance.  This false claim allowed dyson to command the highest bagless vacuum prices in the big box stores.  No more!  Like MOLE says: The gig is over.

Compare the dyson vacuums with independent vacuum store brands [all of which are probably bagged].  Why?  Because the dyson high prices compete with these vacuum brands.  Bagged vacuum users who purchase the indy store brand vacuums buy their bags at those stores.  Probably once a year.  Not a big deal and effort.  If vacuum shoppers journey to the indy-s to purchase a quality vacuum, they will surely go back there without hesitation for the correct bags. 

Carmine D.

All the knowledgeable know that those other bagless are only there for the price shoppers.  They can't compare with Dyson quality.

I refer back to your plasma.  Builder line of product to thrill the buyer when ii is little more than Junk.  Next you should upgrade that builder grade carpet.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jun 8, 2008 2:47 pm
HARDSELL:

The other bagged and bagless brands are dyson's competition.  Dyson is loosing market share to its competition here and abroad.  You and other dyson fans would have us believe that there is no competition for dyson out there.  Not the vacuum that never clogs and loses suction.  Right.  So why did you buy a bagged Royal Eminence for $299 when you can get a new dyson DC07 for the same if not less?  Competition is a wonderful thing for consumers.   Even former dyson owners like you.  Not so wonderful for the product makers.  HOOVER on my friend!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #53   Jun 8, 2008 3:04 pm
I get it now DIB:  With dyson, the buyer spends $500 and gets an either/or choice.  Either supposed good filtration [if you believe the myth] with care free filter maintenance and/or ball technology and normal user filter maintenance.  What an innovative marketing ploy!  What if a dyson buyer wants both?  Out of luck?

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #54   Jun 8, 2008 5:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

I there are a plethora of bagless brands in the big box stores too that compete with dyson and are much less expensive.  All the bagless advantages that you cite for dyson apply to these brands too. 

Compare the dyson vacuums with independent vacuum store brands [all of which are probably bagged].  Why?  Because the dyson high prices compete with these vacuum brands.  Bagged vacuum users who purchase the indy store brand vacuums buy their bags at those stores.  Probably once a year.  Not a big deal and effort.  If vacuum shoppers journey to the indy-s to purchase a quality vacuum, they will surely go back there without hesitation for the correct bags. 

Carmine D.

Yes, there are many bagless brands on the market.  The majority of which use a cartridge filter that sits in with all the dirt.  You can not tell me that they are just as easy to clean as the filter in a Dyson.  We have been running a Dyson in our store for almost 6 months and the secondary filter, while dusty is still very clean.  The Eureka Capture, which gets used far less has had to have the filter washed frequently.  Our bagless Panasonics and their cartridge filter are filthy and require constant cleaning.  The Bissell Healthy home may be a worthy contender but Bissell recommends changing the hepa filter every 6 months ($24.95) and washing the secondary filter at least once a month.  The secondary filter is also no where near the quality of the Dyson and I suspect after multiple washes you would have to replace that too.  Again, I'd have to give Dyson the edge.

I have no problem comparing the Dyson to high end vacuums.  The Sebo would be a good example...high end, geared belt, low maintenance.  Bags alone are roughly $20 and the bags with filter maintenance kit around $50. Over the course of 5 years the average customer would buy 3 packs of bags and 2 maintenance kits for a total of $160.  Add that to the cost of a X4 which is about $700 and you have a vacuum that will cost you $860 over 5 years. Geez, I could purchase 2 DC18's for that kind of money and never have to leave the house for bags.  Again, if it were me I'd buy the Sebo but for the consumer doing their own research it's not hard to see why Dyson have done so well.

As far as vacuum shoppers sticking to the indy's for bags and such I will disagree once again.  I'm frequently asked if there is somewhere "closer" to where the customer lives that they can buy bags or even worse...can I buy these at Wal-Mart. 

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #55   Jun 8, 2008 6:51 pm
dusty wrote:
Again, if it were me I'd buy the Sebo [rather than dyson] but for the consumer doing their own research it's not hard to see why Dyson have done so well.

As far as vacuum shoppers sticking to the indy's for bags and such I will disagree once again.  I'm frequently asked if there is somewhere "closer" to where the customer lives that they can buy bags or even worse...can I buy these at Wal-Mart. 

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

You said it all with the words I highlighted.  SEBO over dyson any day for a vacuum pro.  I agree.  Substitute any other indy-store vacuum brand for SEBO comparable in price to dysons.  What would you chose as better and sell to customers?

WRT vacuum customers doing their own shopping and deciding on dyson, they did in the past because of the overstated claims by sales persons that dysons didn't clog and the filters were virtually maintenance free.  Both are myths.  Now these claims are widely known in the industry as false.  Vacuum shoppers will shy away from dyson in the future in part due to the mediocre performance, in part the increased filter maintenance required for warranty, and most especially the high dyson prices.

With the cost of gas so high and going up, you have a point on shoppers and bags.  They may look elsewhere than the store of vacuum purchase.  They will probably go on-line and buy the bags to avoid gas and time. 

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #56   Jun 8, 2008 7:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:

WRT customers doing their own shopping and deciding on dyson, I think they did in the past because of the overstated claim by sales persons that dysons didn't clog and the filters were virtually maintenance free.  Both myths.  Now widely known in the industry to be false. 

Known in the industry perhaps, but not by the general consumer.  Even when we point out that bins need to be emptied and filters cleaned, the customer that comes in looking for a Dyson will still choose it over the majority of our bag models.  Again, just the thought of having to do a little less is all it takes for them to spend $500.  This is exactly why we decided to carry the line...it's easier to give the customer what they want rather than constantly selling away from it all the time.  It may not be my favorite machine but $200 profit in my pocket is better than letting Best Buy or Target have it.

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #57   Jun 8, 2008 9:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

You said it all with the words I highlighted.  SEBO over dyson any day for a vacuum pro.  I agree.  Substitute any other indy-store vacuum brand for SEBO comparable in price to dysons.  What would you chose as better and sell to customers?

WRT vacuum customers doing their own shopping and deciding on dyson, they did in the past because of the overstated claims by sales persons that dysons didn't clog and the filters were virtually maintenance free.  Both are myths.  Now these claims are widely known in the industry as false.  Vacuum shoppers will shy away from dyson in the future in part due to the mediocre performance, in part the increased filter maintenance required for warranty, and most especially the high dyson prices.

With the cost of gas so high and going up, you have a point on shoppers and bags.  They may look elsewhere than the store of vacuum purchase.  They will probably go on-line and buy the bags to avoid gas and time. 

Carmine D.

Judging from the positive Dyson reviews on this site alone it is evident that readers do not listen to your propaganda.  Only 1 review for Oreck and that is from a biased Carmine.

How far is the future.  I think it is now.  You have been telling us for three yeare that in the future Dyson will fail. The only one to falter is Carmine.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Jun 9, 2008 7:28 am
dusty wrote:
Known in the industry perhaps, but not by the general consumer.  Even when we point out that bins need to be emptied and filters cleaned, the customer that comes in looking for a Dyson will still choose it over the majority of our bag models.  Again, just the thought of having to do a little less is all it takes for them to spend $500.  This is exactly why we decided to carry the line...it's easier to give the customer what they want rather than constantly selling away from it all the time.  It may not be my favorite machine but $200 profit in my pocket is better than letting Best Buy or Target have it.

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

I highlighted the relevant words in your post.  People that owned dysons know because they experienced the clogging filters and loss in suction.  First time dyson bagless buyers probably don't but they will be burdened with filter maintenance.  You and I know that most vacuum users won't do it.  You provided an excellent post on the overworked housewives leaving the bag and belt changes to their husbands when they get home from work.  Think those women will dump dirt bins let alone wash dyson filters monthly and quarterly?  No, probably not.  Voila, same problem with dyson as not changing an overfill bag.

$200 profit on a $500 retail vacuum.  Wow!  That's a huge mark up.  No wonder sales people exaggerated claims about dyson.  Profit motive!  I would sell dysons too but only if the customer insisted on dyson.  I would not recommend over any of the indy-store vacuum brands.  Bagless, dyson included, is a nightmare for most vacuum customers after they use.  Lots of hassles and high maintenance [dumping the bin, cleaning and replacing filters, and health hazards of dumping the dirt bin indoors].  Like Rainbows which top the list for price and pampering.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 49 - 58 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42