Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 63 - 72 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #63   Jun 3, 2008 8:01 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Blaming inferior performance of the Oreck on a belt. You are as desperate as I have ever seen you.  If the belt has to be replaced so frequently on a demo unit or even if the Oreck has been sitting idle then maybe ol Dave should hire some Dyson engenieers and get in this century.  My be its that a Dyson will perform after sitting idle for years.

BTW, catlady did not say the Oreck was inferior to only the Miele.  She simply insinuated that it had poor performance.

HARDSELL:

Belts are made of rubber.  When stretched on a vacuum whether used or unused they have to be replaced after 6 months.  $3 at the ORECK store.  Less at other vacuum stores.  A few minutes to repalce by the user.  Viola.  Like new again.

Like I said, different strokes for different folks.   I'm pleased with the purchase of 4 new ORECK Classic XL-s and the 3 donees are too.  That's all that matters to me and my use of my $600!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 3, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #64   Jun 3, 2008 8:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

You walk on it after you put it down.  The difficulty with kapoc like the household stuff it similates is that it clings to the rug/carpet.  Making it a worthy test for uprights.  That's the reason it is an industry test and has been for years.

The baking soda discussion is a moot/mute test.  It has no bearing and no relevance.  It's a non-issue for me and a non-test.  I have none in my house.  Don't plan to buy a box.  Not now.  Not ever.

Carmine D.

You still can't imbed it in carpet.

No meaning nor relevence to you because it would defeat you.  How much kapok do you kep in the house?  Remember,  you are not the only one whose opinion counts. Many homes have baking soda.

ANYONE WHO HAS MORE  KAPOK THAN BAKING SODA IN THEIR HOME PLEASE TELL US.

CarmineD

Reply #65   Jun 3, 2008 8:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You still can't imbed it in carpet.

No meaning nor relevence to you because it would defeat you.  How much kapok do you kep in the house?  Remember,  you are not the only one whose opinion counts. Many homes have baking soda.

ANYONE WHO HAS MORE  KAPOK THAN BAKING SODA IN THEIR HOME PLEASE TELL US.

You're silly bordering on ridiculous.  Kapoc is an industry test for carpet cleaners.  Has been for years.  Most if not all independent vacuum stores use it.  It simulates real life home grown rug and carpet debris like pet hair, thread, wool and cotton nap.  All these cling to rugs and carpet surfaces.  Making it a valid test and substance usage.  What does baking soda similate? 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #66   Jun 3, 2008 8:26 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Same for me about Oreck and Hoover.

But not dyson!  Sold the DC07 after 3 years.  Bought a DC14.  Returned the DC14.  Bought a Royal Eminence?  No HARDSELL.  That doesn't compute with me.  Any more than a non-sensical baking soda test.  Make a mistake 40 years ago and chalk it up to youthful exuberance.  Make it again now? No pass this time. 

Still haven't re-bought the best brand you claim to have ever owned.  Although the prices are down to $299 before discounts and cash back. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #67   Jun 3, 2008 8:40 pm
ASTM standards are the (agreed upon) standards that matter.  If a vacuum is a good Kaypoc-picker-upper can this be trusted to translate into a good ASTM winner?        DIB

HARDSELL

Reply #68   Jun 3, 2008 9:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You're silly bordering on ridiculous.  Kapoc is an industry test for carpet cleaners.  Has been for years.  Most if not all independent vacuum stores use it.  It simulates real life home grown rug and carpet debris like pet hair, thread, wool and cotton nap.  All these cling to rugs and carpet surfaces.  Making it a valid test and substance usage.  What does baking soda similate? 

Carmine D.

Baking Soda is similar to dust.  This would quickly clog your Oreck.  You could substitute capture, however we already know that many vacs can't handle it.

I believe itt was Karl who vacuumed sheet rock dust with a Dyson and it suffered no ill effects.  Your Oreck could not handle this.

I do not have a dog so no need for the Kapok.  I do live in an area where I get lots of dust in my home. 

Maybe the pro testers should use a substitute for Kapok.  I have contended for years that their testing does not accurately simulate what is actuallly vacuumed in a home.

HARDSELL

Reply #69   Jun 3, 2008 9:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
But not dyson!  Sold the DC07 after 3 years.  Bought a DC14.  Returned the DC14.  Bought a Royal Eminence?  No HARDSELL.  That doesn't compute with me.  Any more than a non-sensical baking soda test.  Make a mistake 40 years ago and chalk it up to youthful exuberance.  Make it again now? No pass this time. 

Still haven't re-bought the best brand you claim to have ever owned.  Although the prices are down to $299 before discounts and cash back. 

Carmine D.

I kept the Oreck and others for a few days only because the 07 made it look like a toy.  Compute that.

You need to understand that what I currently use is acceptable until I get the urge to replace them.  Other purchases and expenses take priority over vacuums. 

Where is your Hoover Z and Fusion.  You told us how great the Z was (years ago) now the Oreck is better than sliced bread.

HARDSELL

Reply #70   Jun 3, 2008 9:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

I do not have a dog.  The DC07 picked up all those things that you mention in 1 pass.  The others that I tried (and currently own)did not.
CarmineD

Reply #71   Jun 4, 2008 7:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
ASTM standards are the (agreed upon) standards that matter.  If a vacuum is a good Kaypoc-picker-upper can this be trusted to translate into a good ASTM winner?        DIB

Hello DIB:

ASTM is the industry recognized standard world wide.  To answer your question: Yes and no.  Kapoc is not the only test of the ASTM but one of them.  Consumer Reports recently added the pet hair test which I suspect is a variation of the industry's standard kapoc.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #72   Jun 4, 2008 7:13 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Baking Soda is similar to dust.  This would quickly clog your Oreck.  You could substitute capture, however we already know that many vacs can't handle it.

Hello HARDSELL:

Have to disagree again.  ORECK has such a large surface area of paper bag, you would have to pick up huge amounts of any substance like capture, epsom salt, baking soda, construction dust etc. to clog the bag and shut down all suction completely.  My sense is you probably can't unless you decide that you want to do that and proceed to acocmplish your objective.  

But, as we already agreed, when large amounts of any foreign substances spill in the house, the first line of attack is the dust pan and broom.  Then the vacuum.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jun 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 63 - 72 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42