Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 37 - 46 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #37   Jun 3, 2008 12:34 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

I tried and XL21.  The carpet looked beautifully groomed.  However, following behind it with a DC07 produced prodigious amounts of dirt.

I am no pro, however I have always contended that an excelent brush will only bring dirt to  the surface and scatter it if the vacuum has poor suction.

Hello HARDSELL:

I agree with part of what you said and I highlighted it.  ORECK has an excellent brush roll and turns at high speeds.  With that combination, it draws the embedded dirt up to the surface where little or no suction will carry it into the vacuum.  The latter is the principle on which non-electric carpet sweepers worked for cleaning surface dirt on rugs and floors.  Brush action.  They had no suction at all.  Add the rug suction power of most full sized uprights of yester year to the ORECK brush roll, and you have the 2 key ingredients for a good rug cleaner and groomer.  Add a huge paper bag, like the ORECK's, and you the third factor for the making of an excellent upright.  That's why ORECK has the lock on the market and others can only copy.

Recall, if you can, that ORECK specifically matches its rug cleaning performance against the dyson DC07 and DC14.  Both of which you owned.  You didn't like the DC14.  But did the DC07.  Both have the same identical brush roll.  And power!  That leads me to doubt your findings not just for the dysons but ORECK too.

Visit your local ORECK store and YOU can perform the rug cleaning tests using the ORECK and dysons DC07/DC14.  Try the kapoc test.  This has been an industry standard test since Tom Gasko was walking on all fours in diapers and crying dyson.  ORECK will pick up most if not all the kapoc in 2 passes.  Forward and back.  Dyson will take 9 or 10 passes back and forth and still leave traces behind. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jun 3, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #38   Jun 3, 2008 12:56 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Bertha,

Yes chances are the Oreck will have enough power to pick up *some* dirt from the rug, but not much. 
-MH

Tom:

This is an absurdity.  If ORECK can pick up some dirt, it can pick up all.  It doesn't distinguish between what it can and can't pick up.  If it's only picking up some dirt, then the ORECK needs a new belt/bag.  They don't last forever.  These have to be changed, just like the dirt bin on the dyson has to be dumped frequently and the pre-post- motor filters have to washed/changed.  If you don't do the latter, dysons will only pick up some of the dirt too and not all. 

HARDSELL:

The same is true for carpet sweepers.  If you don't dump the dirt trays in these and they fill up [like bagless dirt bins], they don't pick up.  Regardless of how many passes you make back and forth.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Jun 3, 2008 1:08 pm
ORECK, as an 8/9 pound  lightweight vacuum is and always has been an equal contender with all the full sized vacuums on the market for the last 45 years.  That's the reason its still the best in its class and others try to imitate/compete.  Not many can/do.  The jury is still out on the DC24.  Which is 4 pounds heavier.  Almost the same weight as the ORECK compact canister.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #40   Jun 3, 2008 1:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Oftentimes, makers innovate by making slight modifications so as to extend the patent period longer when it is due to expire.  Not really due to their need to innovate to be better.  But I'm sure you are already aware of this fact.

With regard to the number of ORECK stores nationwide, the most recent number [early this year] is 500 and growing.  I've underestimated in some recent posts.

Carmine D.

Hello,

My understanding of getting an extension - only if there was some sort of delay in the obtaining/getting approval for a patent and mostly drug related patents.  And I think it is no longer than 5 years at most.

I do not know the answer for sure.  My guess is no, society comes first and inventors come second.  Q:  Can an inventor prevent society from *benefiting from a widget if the original inventor keeps tweaking a product and locking up (monopolizing) the entire widget for an additional 20 year patent period.  My guess is no.  I'm sure James would of loved to have been able to tweak his dual cyclone and extend the patent life vesus competing against his own work in the market place.        DIB

*After a patent expires others can make for sale said widget and society “benefits”.

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jun 3, 2008 1:19 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hello,

My understanding of getting an extension - only if there was some sort of delay in the obtaining/getting approval for a patent and mostly drug related patents.  And I think it is no longer than 5 years at most.

DIB

Hello DIB:

With drugs the period is 3-10 years after the drug is publicly marketed.  More time with extensions if the maker claims the drug is tweaked.  Wonderful case currently being heard.  The drug is TRICOR.  The maker is trying to keep generics from market after patent expiration dates by arguing it's changed the drug along the way.  Competitors have taken the maker to court.  I predict the competition will win.  TRICOR's maker will bite the dust.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #42   Jun 3, 2008 1:23 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Just,

Not to derail from the original Oreck-related discussion but since you mentioned Kirby I must also point out that they are another manufacturer with the same problem, unwillingness to update and improve the design. 
-MH

Hello TOM:

Sort of like Air Way!  Is that brand vacuum still around and in business like ORECK and KIRBY?  What ever happened?  Who knows?  Who cares?   Topic unworthy. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #43   Jun 3, 2008 2:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

With drugs the period is 3-10 years after the drug is publicly marketed.  More time with extensions if the maker claims the drug is tweaked.  Wonderful case currently being heard.  The drug is TRICOR.  The maker is trying to keep generics from market after patent expiration dates by arguing it's changed the drug along the way.  Competitors have taken the maker to court.  I predict the competition will win.  TRICOR's maker will bite the dust.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

That’s just it!  If society benefits, patent extensions for life saving or bettering drugs are given, but I do not believe it is the same for non-drug patents.

Can you link me 1 or 2 good articles that talk/follow this Tricor story?  Thanks.        DIB

HARDSELL

Reply #44   Jun 3, 2008 3:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK, as an 8/9 pound  lightweight vacuum is and always has been an equal contender with all the full sized vacuums on the market for the last 45 years.  That's the reason its still the best in its class and others try to imitate/compete.  Not many can/do.  The jury is still out on the DC24.  Which is 4 pounds heavier.  Almost the same weight as the ORECK compact canister.

Carmine D.

cztlady did not think that the Oreck was that good.  I think you already know what she said.
HARDSELL

Reply #45   Jun 3, 2008 3:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Recall, if you can, that ORECK specifically matches its rug cleaning performance against the dyson DC07 and DC14.  Both of which you owned.  You didn't like the DC14.  But did the DC07.  Both have the same identical brush roll.  And power!  That leads me to doubt your findings not just for the dysons but ORECK too.

Visit your local ORECK store and YOU can perform the rug cleaning tests using the ORECK and dysons DC07/DC14.  Try the kapoc test.  This has been an industry standard test since Tom Gasko was walking on all fours in diapers and crying dyson.  ORECK will pick up most if not all the kapoc in 2 passes.  Forward and back.  Dyson will take 9 or 10 passes back and forth and still leave traces behind. 

Carmine D. 

The 07 and 14 do not have the same suction power.

I already did the kapock test.  Remember you brought this up when I recommended baking soda as a test.  BTW the Oreck still will not pass the baking soda test.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Jun 3, 2008 4:06 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
cztlady did not think that the Oreck was that good.  I think you already know what she said.

Hello HARDSELL:

If I recall, catlady said the ORECK did not perform as good as the Miele.  My sense is the belt in the ORECK model [probably display/demo] needed replacing.  Belts must be replaced even if the vacuum is not used.

If my new vacuum budget was $600 and in the market for a full size, I'd opt for the Miele too over the ORECK.  Remember for $600, I bought 4 ORECK XL Classics and all the recipients rave over them!

Carmine D.

Replies: 37 - 46 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42