Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New technology possibility . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

New technology possibility . . .
Original Message   May 17, 2008 8:26 pm
Hi,

Just came across an article regarding resonance charging.  This is a method for recharging electrinic devices by way of magnetic waves.  This may one day be the supply of power to batteries in electric cars, robotic vacuums and laptops.  Link follows.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci1307234,00.html

Best,

Venson

This message was modified May 17, 2008 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Trilobite

Re: New technology possibility . . .
Reply #1   May 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Just came across an article regarding resonance charging.  This is a method for recharging electrinic devices by way of magnetic waves.  This may one day be the supply of power to batteries in electric cars, robotic vacuums and laptops.  Link follows.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci1307234,00.html

Best,

Venson

Or old technology rehashed: I suspect this is another name for induction charging, as used in electric toothbrushes (Braun, Philips-Sonicare, etc).

Speaking of old technology rehashed, I came across a Hoover patent on freepatentsonline (free registration required to view the PDF diagrams), where an ancient 1911 / 1912 agitator design bears remarkable resemblance to Dyson's thin-ribbon brushbar (as fitted to DC03, DC04, DC07, DC14).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1044488.pdf

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #2   May 17, 2008 10:14 pm
I know that's how my toothbrush charges, as there are no metal contacts between the charger and the brush.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #3   May 17, 2008 10:27 pm
Trilobite wrote:
Or old technology rehashed: I suspect this is another name for induction charging, as used in electric toothbrushes (Braun, Philips-Sonicare, etc).

Speaking of old technology rehashed, I came across a Hoover patent on freepatentsonline (free registration required to view the PDF diagrams), where an ancient 1911 / 1912 agitator design bears remarkable resemblance to Dyson's thin-ribbon brushbar (as fitted to DC03, DC04, DC07, DC14).

Thanks Trilobite,

I love the old patent art work and history too.  I think it is cool seeing some old stuff that can/cannot be made better.        DIB

Motorhead

Reply #4   May 17, 2008 10:54 pm
Hi Venson,

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.  I wonder if this method has any effect on reducing charge time, which has really been a main limiting factor in the practicality of cordless appliances--that and run time, although both have improved in recent years and cordless appliances *have* become more popular.  If battery technology continues to improve, that combined with new charging methods would definitely lead to an increase in cordless appliance use (and applications) in the future.  Even Dyson's robotic vacuum design which was temporarily halted due to cost might just become a reality again if it becomes less expensive to produce.

Trilobite wrote:

Hi Trilobite,

I've seen that brushroll before (used in the 1910 Model N cleaner for one) and it does bear a striking resemblance to the Dyson brushroll, as well as Eureka's Vibra-Groomer I.  I have to wonder where both Dyson's and Eureka's ideas came from...what's old is what's new again.

-MH
Venson

Reply #5   May 17, 2008 11:17 pm
Trilobite wrote:

Hi Trilobite,

Interesting to know.  I have not seen this before.  My rechargable shaver (Braun) uses metal contact point when placed in its cradle as with any of the other rechargable I own. But it only cost a hundred bucks and I've been hesitant to drop the $200 on a model that probably has it.   Nonetheless, if this kind of thing is useful in larger devices it could revolutionize the manner in which we handle daily chores by possibly eliminating the need to be tethered to power outlets when cleaning or preparing food.  The only question is safety.

In any event you're are correct in that inductive recharging is among three methods of wireless charging along with radio and resonance charging.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci1307218,00.html

Best,

Venson

This message was modified May 17, 2008 by Venson
Trilobite

Reply #6   May 18, 2008 7:23 am
Venson, I'm inclined to agree about the suitability for robotic vacuum cleaners, as the models I have used sometimes have minor problems with maintaining contact with the charging terminals. This can be due to the charger being on an uneven, or carpetted floor, and sometimes the low height and bevelled shape of the modern skirting boards causes the charger to rock as the cleaner comes into dock.

I often wonder why the robotic cleaner manufacturers don't put magnetic clamps into the vicinity of the charging contacts; then at least, the cleaner would stay in intimate contact with the charger.

This message was modified May 18, 2008 by Trilobite
Trilobite

Reply #7   May 18, 2008 7:29 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Thanks Trilobite,

I love the old patent art work and history too.  I think it is cool seeing some old stuff that can/cannot be made better.        DIB

I know what you mean. The old artwork has a certain 3-dimensional character that seems to be missing from modern drawings. They seemed to take care with attention to detail.

I could spend weeks trawling through the archives.

Trilobite

Reply #8   May 18, 2008 7:53 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Trilobite,

I've seen that brushroll before (used in the 1910 Model N cleaner for one) and it does bear a striking resemblance to the Dyson brushroll, as well as Eureka's Vibra-Groomer I.  I have to wonder where both Dyson's and Eureka's ideas came from...what's old is what's new again.

-MH

Until recently (the past 4-5 months), I never realised that Hoover had several early agitator designs. I presumed, wrongly, that there was a simple cylindrical wooden brushroll that was fitted to cleaners predating 1926, thereafter followed by the famous metal "Beats as it Sweeps" agitator.

I have since seen photos of a metal, narrow diameter Hoover brushroll, that had tufts of bristles on opposing sides. Now I discover patents that describe a ribbon-shaped agitator.

Then there is the 1979 Hoover "Kinetic" agitator that had the beater bars immediately behind the sweeping brushes; to give an extra flick to the brushes, and to allow the sweeping brushes to cushion the beater bars on hard floors. Very interesting.

I'll have to see if I can find info on the "Activator" agitator, as fitted to UK "Turbopowers" & "Turbomasters", US "Innovations" and the commercial "Conquest" models.

CarmineD

Reply #9   May 18, 2008 4:12 pm
Hi Venson:

Good to read your posts.  Razors, electric and manual, with the battery charged vibrating blades and heads can utilize this technology too.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42