Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 104 - 113 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
christine

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #104   May 13, 2008 3:42 pm
Thanks Lucky. The dealer isn't going out of business, has been there for years and will be I hope for years more. I live in North Eastern USA.

C.
Motorhead

Reply #105   May 13, 2008 4:40 pm
christine wrote:
Well, as MH, after giving such kind and lengthy help (along with some others), asked me to let you know what I bought in the end, here's the answer: I --we--chose a Miele Carina.

I know I said I wasn't very keen on canisters--and in fact, I wasn't. This meant everyone here spent a lot of time on analysing uprights for me--please don't feel it was wasted--it was very helpful and enabled us to narrow things down, rule things out, and learn a lot in the process.

The Carina is so small and manageable, and not heavy--though not quite as light as Oreck or Simplicity. However it has crevice and upholstery tools, telescoping wand (so no bending as you vacuum), suction controls (so my lighter area rugs won't get sucked up), and it's not noisy. I always thought canisters were bulky but this doesn't seem to be, and you can clip the hose/head part to the body in a " park" mode when you stop vacuuming or carry it upstairs. As our rugs are all low pile, I hope the combination floor/carpet tool will be sufficient with just the suction, no brushroll.

The clincher was that the shop gave us $100 off for trading in our old broken Dirt Devil and there was a sale as well, so end price was $269 (plus tax) which we thought excellent.

Thanks again for all your help.

Christine

Hi Christine,

Congratulations on the new Miele, that to me is a fantastic machine for your situation.  And at $269 you really did get a good deal, the suggested retail for the Carina is $499. 

I do like the S4 Galaxy canisters (Carina, Antares, Orion, etc.), they pack a lot of power for their small size, are surprisingly maneuverable (much like all Mieles), and you can really fill the bag up before it needs to be changed.  The combination tool is a good suction-only rug tool, but you still might want to think about the turbo nozzle in the future depending on the amount of traffic your rugs receive.  Did you opt for the Parquet Twister floor tool by any chance?

Again, excellent choice, you will like the performance and (unlike most cleaners out there) it's built to last.  So plan on keeping that machine for at least 20 years.

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #106   May 13, 2008 4:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You forgot one.  Inhale it to turn your grey matter to mush.  So you and the other local yokels like Motorhead can spout off about idiotic tests to concoct for vacuums.

I've got a test for you and MH for vacuums: Kapok.  Put that on your rugs and pass your dysons over it.  Then get a HOOVER, Oreck, Dirt Devil and/or any other vacuum cleaner on the market today and pick up in half the time and effort what all the dysons left behind.

Polish up your idiot sign. Motorhead needs to borrow it too.

Carmine D.

Baking soda isn't an "idiotic" test.  The only reason you have a problem with it is because you are well aware that the Oreck will simply blow it back at your feet, much like the sand.  Having owned an Oreck before I cannot buy the fact that it picks up sand well on bare floors...mine had a hard enough time picking it up from the carpet!  Run a DC17 over your rugs if you want them to actually be CLEAN, after all it says on the machine "Outcleans all other vacuums."  It doesn't say "except the Oreck", or "except the" anything, it says ALL.  Then after you're done, give us the test results to prove it

And yes, I tried the kapok test with a 10-year-old DC07, and it picked all of it up beautifully. 

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #107   May 13, 2008 6:43 pm
Motorhead wrote:

And yes, I tried the kapok test with a 10-year-old DC07, and it picked all of it up beautifully. 

-MH

MH, you may have endless time during the day to spend vacuuming with a dyson.  I don't.  A pass or two with Oreck gets it all.  I don't have to go over it 8-9-10 times like I would with a dyson to get it all up.

With sand the primary outside environment here, if my Oreck did not remove it all from my floors and rugs, I wouldn't be using it for the last year and still.

Here's how I know Oreck gets it all.  Have you ever used a HOOVER Floormate?  What happens when you use and the floors are not completely vacuumed clean?  Right!  Very good.  When you do the wet-floor pick up for drying, the dirt and pet hair gets into the dirty water bin and infiltrates the filter.  In my case, SAND and lab hair.

I noticed whenever I use the Oreck first to vacuum the floors, then follow up immediately with the HOOVER Floormate to wash the floors and dry, there's no dirt/pet hair in the dirty water/filter.  Now that's a test MH that even you, with your limited and minimum level of knowledge, skill, and ability, can perform and judge for yourself.

Not as complicated as determining the source you used to come up with 4 Million dysons sold in the US in 2007.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified May 13, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #108   May 13, 2008 9:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Since you took the time to dream these up, I'll respond. 

For points 1 and 2:  My Wife and I take turns dusting the stove off from lack of use.  It's just us 2 and the pup.  And the pup is diabetic and requires a special diet.  Cooking on the stove has become an ancient female ritual. 

No cooking, no vacuuming and a toy robot to dust the floor.  Sound like you like to contribute to larda$$ women.  Exercise is healthy

For point 3:  Go back to the answer to 1 and 2.  Since we don't cook, there is no need to turn on the dishwasher regularly.  We take turns running it once a month to ensure it is still operating. 

Why did you buy the dishwahser?  You could use the space that it occupies to store all those extra vacuum tools that are required for Oreck owners.

For point 4: Everything in the fridge is sealed.  There are no odors. 

Doesn't sound like you need a fridge.

For point 5:  We use common household cleaners made for the specific purpose.  Vinegar is used only for salad making and eating. We enjoy citrus fruits and throw the skins of lemons in the garbage disposal.                        Accomplishes the same effect as the b/s and doesn't cost any extra.

I thought that you were going green.  No harsh chemicals in baking soda or vineger.   The baking soda cuts grease better than the commercial cleaners.

For point 6:  Don't have any household odors.  Why?  I own and vacuum daily with the Oreck. We keep the dog clean and groomed in part by vacuuming with the HOOVER cann.  I have a special tool for the purpose.

Refer to # 3.  You need the storeage for all the special tools since you use an Oreck.  I think your bs stinls just like it does 6 inches up the bulls rear.  You do not notice because                                                     you have smelled it for so long.

Finally, the only time I detect an odor is when I'm reading one of your posts here.  Then I just scroll up/down to one of mine, and the air automatically is fresh and clean again.

Check your chair again.  There definitely is bs in it.

I trust you get the jist of my thoughts on baking soda.  I think the substance is highly over rated.  Why?  To sell, of course.  I'm told the box costs more than the content.  Figures.  Who in their right frame of mind would ever go to             the store to buy a box of baking soda?  It's a white elephant now-a-days.  Don't need it, don't want it. 

I get the jist.  You have proven once again just how ignorant you really are.       I believe that the Oreck box is worth more than the vacuum regardless of the cost ratio of vac to box.

BAKING SODA IS A WHITE ELEPHANT THAT THE ORECK CAN'T TAME.  YOUR ARROGANCE TO THIS TEST IS SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE THAT YOU KNOW THE ORECK CAN'T PICK IT UP.  iF IT DID                                                    YOU WOULD TELL US  THAT IT PASSED THE TEST.  

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR CROW, BAKED OR FRIED?

Asylums are for people like you who buy things for trumped up reasons thinking they need it.  They are commonly called crazy!

I have been cured.  I no longer buy Orecks of Hoovers.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 14, 2008 by HARDSELL
christine

Reply #109   May 13, 2008 10:10 pm
MH, the Parquet Twister floor tool wasn't offered, I know nothing about it; I just took the standard combination floor/carpet tool that comes with the Carina.

Have used the machine already and like it very much.

C
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #110   May 14, 2008 2:59 am
You picked a very good machine, and it sounds like you have a good dealer there for anything you need as well.  Its a great machine and should last you quite a while.
CarmineD

Reply #111   May 14, 2008 7:39 am
HS:

Whatever you did in your last post caused the screen to wrap around.  Unless the site admin used this technique to censure you.  

We take great pains here in the LV to use socially responsible products and care for the environment, due in large part to the lack of water, abundance of desert sand, and limited fauna and flora that can exist in the desert.  One of the many things I like about life and people here.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 14, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #112   May 14, 2008 7:57 am
christine wrote:
MH, the Parquet Twister floor tool wasn't offered, I know nothing about it; I just took the standard combination floor/carpet tool that comes with the Carina.

Have used the machine already and like it very much.

C

The name of the tool is "Parquet Floor Brush" SBB-3  It's designed for wood and tiled floors.  It has 2 soft rollers [rubber] for easy gliding action and dual 11 inch natural [horsehair] bristles that sweep gently over the floor surface, brushing dust particles out of cracks.  Miele recommends for low and medium pile carpet too as well as smooth surfaces.  A mainstay of the Miele tools.

Carmine D,

This message was modified May 14, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #113   May 14, 2008 10:12 am
You did very well, at that price you should at least buy the dealer lunch and dinner,because he certainly did not make any money to buy his or her own.

This just confirms how bad things are at retail,the dealers are dropping like flies.Selling machines at cost is not very condusive to stay in business,I suppose they gave you the internet price?.

Then these companies wonder why the dealers feel the way they do......[rant for the day]........

MOLE

Replies: 104 - 113 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42