Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 94 - 103 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
christine

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #94   May 12, 2008 4:08 pm
Well, as MH, after giving such kind and lengthy help (along with some others), asked me to let you know what I bought in the end, here's the answer: I --we--chose a Miele Carina.

I know I said I wasn't very keen on canisters--and in fact, I wasn't. This meant everyone here spent a lot of time on analysing uprights for me--please don't feel it was wasted--it was very helpful and enabled us to narrow things down, rule things out, and learn a lot in the process.

The Carina is so small and manageable, and not heavy--though not quite as light as Oreck or Simplicity. However it has crevice and upholstery tools, telescoping wand (so no bending as you vacuum), suction controls (so my lighter area rugs won't get sucked up), and it's not noisy. I always thought canisters were bulky but this doesn't seem to be, and you can clip the hose/head part to the body in a " park" mode when you stop vacuuming or carry it upstairs. As our rugs are all low pile, I hope the combination floor/carpet tool will be sufficient with just the suction, no brushroll.

The clincher was that the shop gave us $100 off for trading in our old broken Dirt Devil and there was a sale as well, so end price was $269 (plus tax) which we thought excellent.

Thanks again for all your help.

Christine
CarmineD

Reply #95   May 12, 2008 5:26 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Carmine, Capture DOES in fact clog vacuum cleaner bags.  People who have previously used Capture to clean their carpets pick quite a bit of leftover powder up with their just-purchased Dysons. 

Baking soda is neither bogus nor ridiculous.  The only thing "bogus" and "ridiculous" is calling you an "expert", which you are not.  Baking soda is often used as a carpet deodorizer, which explains why there are many carpet deodorizers out there that claim to have baking soda as an active ingredient.  Baking soda does *not* clog vacuum cleaner bags or filters, in fact the only thing baking soda *will* do is prove how ineffective the Oreck is at bare floor cleaning. 

Vacuuming up ashes from a barbecue grill or fireplace was designed by a true expert to TEST THE LIMITS of a vacuum's filtration system.  Of course any average cleaner is going to clog, that's what it was designed for.  The question is, though, how much can it handle before it *does* clog?  Only a moron would suggest picking up BURNING ashes, there is a clear difference.  Our expert did not say that.  But leave it up to you to make those inane assumptions.  Again, more ramblings from the mouth of a blithering idiot. 

The only reason any vac shop owner would recommend an Oreck is because they ultimately profit from the sales of bags, belts, and fans.  A true rip-off artist would undoubtedly recommend an Oreck with their extremely high priced vacuum bags.  At wholesale, an 8-pack of Oreck bags costs $4.86 and sells for $25 retail.  The belts cost 27¢ and retail for $3 apiece.  The fans cost $6 and retail for $40. 

Most regular vac shops who sell Orecks (before the Oreck-store exclusive policy went into effect) have them nailed to the floor...

-MH

Thank you Motorhead.  After your uninvited interference above, you remove all doubt as to who is the local yokel that recommends the burning ash vacuum test.  As idiotic as baking soda which we all know naturally occurs in in all households every day.

Maybe you and HS should share the big idiot sign.  You're both worthy of the win! 

What was your authoritative source for 4 Million dysons sold in the USA, Mr. x-pert? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 12, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #96   May 12, 2008 5:28 pm
christine wrote:
Well, as MH, after giving such kind and lengthy help (along with some others), asked me to let you know what I bought in the end, here's the answer: I --we--chose a Miele Carina.

I know I said I wasn't very keen on canisters--and in fact, I wasn't. This meant everyone here spent a lot of time on analysing uprights for me--please don't feel it was wasted--it was very helpful and enabled us to narrow things down, rule things out, and learn a lot in the process.

The Carina is so small and manageable, and not heavy--though not quite as light as Oreck or Simplicity. However it has crevice and upholstery tools, telescoping wand (so no bending as you vacuum), suction controls (so my lighter area rugs won't get sucked up), and it's not noisy. I always thought canisters were bulky but this doesn't seem to be, and you can clip the hose/head part to the body in a " park" mode when you stop vacuuming or carry it upstairs. As our rugs are all low pile, I hope the combination floor/carpet tool will be sufficient with just the suction, no brushroll.

The clincher was that the shop gave us $100 off for trading in our old broken Dirt Devil and there was a sale as well, so end price was $269 (plus tax) which we thought excellent.

Thanks again for all your help.

Christine

Congrats on a great choice and price.  Miele-s are known in the industry for lasting on average 20 years.  Enjoy using your new purchase.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #97   May 12, 2008 5:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I have no baking soda in my entire house and haven't for years.  Give me one reason why I should.  Maybe I should replace the sand in my grand daughters' sand box in my back yard [sand is free here in the desert] with oh....I don't know what would you say 5,000 to 10,000 boxes of baking soda at 50 cents a pop.  So the grands and the dog can trek baking soda into the house rather than sand.  My Oreck can devour it instead of the sand.  Sand is the culprit that wears out rugs and carpets anyway.  More so than baking soda.  And I can talk all the friends and neighbors into doing the same, and before you know it LV will have the market in baking soda cornered. Then we can charge $120 a box so idiots can test their vacuums using baking soda before buying.  Wonderful idea.

I like the Oreck so much I bought 4 and gifted 3 to others, who also rave about them.  You like the dyson so much you brag about it in every post but you don't own one.  You owned one for 2 years.  After the warranty was over, you sold it.  I asked you why you don't buy another dyson since you always brag about how great it was.  What did you tell us?  In 5 different posts at different times?  You don't want to pay the high price for a dyson.  Dah?  Sound familiar?  I've been telling you the exact same thing for years.  But you're at a loss to understand.

Carmine D.

I will give yu reasons why I use baking soda.  You can decide if they benefit you.  1.  Great for removing grease off my stove, especially the back where the controls are located since it has a textured surface 2. Cleans grease off the range hood 3. Use in the dishwasher (especially when washing pots and pans 4. Leave open box in refrigerator to absorb odors.  5.  Use with vinegar as an all purpose cleaner and in drains to refresh them 5 It helps neutralize household odors  This could benefit you the most by eliminating the excrement odor of the bs  that you spew so abundantly.   There are so many more uses.

I already told you that I do not have sand in my home.  People do not buy play sand to refresh their carpet.  They do this with baking soda or products containing same.

Can't blame you for gifting all those Orecks.  I would give them away as opposed to keeping them.  I sold my Dyson because I felt that it was worthy of selling, whereas I would not stick a person by selling them an Oreck. 

I bought two different vacuums to play with, not because they are better than Dyson.  Hint :  they are not Oreck or Hoover.  Yes, Dyson is expensive, but worth the price to those who want one.  I also like Lexus better than the Ford that I drive.  I just have not decided to buy one yet.

I think that you know my purpose for using baking soda as a test for vacuum performance.  I know that the Oreck will fail and you have been defeated so many times in the past that you are grasping at straws to save face.

Hope you have a great afternoon at the asylum.

CarmineD

Reply #98   May 12, 2008 5:54 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I will give yu reasons why I use baking soda.  You can decide if they benefit you.  1.  Great for removing grease off my stove, especially the back where the controls are located since it has a textured surface 2. Cleans grease off the range hood 3. Use in the dishwasher (especially when washing pots and pans 4. Leave open box in refrigerator to absorb odors.  5.  Use with vinegar as an all purpose cleaner and in drains to refresh them 5 It helps neutralize household odors  This could benefit you the most by eliminating the excrement odor of the bs  that you spew so abundantly.   There are so many more uses.

I already told you that I do not have sand in my home.  People do not buy play sand to refresh their carpet.  They do this with baking soda or products containing same.

Can't blame you for gifting all those Orecks.  I would give them away as opposed to keeping them.  I sold my Dyson because I felt that it was worthy of selling, whereas I would not stick a person by selling them an Oreck. 

I bought two different vacuums to play with, not because they are better than Dyson.  Hint :  they are not Oreck or Hoover.  Yes, Dyson is expensive, but worth the price to those who want one.  I also like Lexus better than the Ford that I drive.  I just have not decided to buy one yet.

I think that you know my purpose for using baking soda as a test for vacuum performance.  I know that the Oreck will fail and you have been defeated so many times in the past that you are grasping at straws to save face.

You forgot one.  Inhale it to turn your grey matter to mush.  So you and the other local yokels like Motorhead can spout off about idiotic tests to concoct for vacuums.

I've got a test for you and MH for vacuums: Kapok.  Put that on your rugs and pass your dysons over it.  Then get a HOOVER, Oreck, Dirt Devil and/or any other vacuum cleaner on the market today and pick up in half the time and effort what all the dysons left behind.

Polish up your idiot sign. Motorhead needs to borrow it too.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #99   May 12, 2008 6:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You forgot one.  Inhale it to turn your grey matter to mush.  So you and the other local yokels like Motorhead can spout off about idiotic tests to concoct for vacuums.

I've got a test for you and MH for vacuums: Kapok.  Put that on your rugs and pass your dysons over it.  Then get a HOOVER, Oreck, Dirt Devil and/or any other vacuum cleaner on the market today and pick up in half the time and effort what all the dysons left behind.

Polish up your idiot sign. Motorhead needs to borrow it too.

Carmine D.

I already did that when an old life preserver tore open in the attic.  Dyson worked like a charm.   Speaking of life preservers, you better wear one if you don't get back in the boat.  Waves are way over your head.

I do not know why I did not mention this earlier as all of my neighbors regularly spread it on their carpet.  None will volunteer why they keep doing this.

This message was modified May 12, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #100   May 12, 2008 7:38 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Speaking of life preservers, you better wear one if you don't get back in the boat.  Waves are way over your head.

HARDSELL:

Here's a very concept basic concept which you at a total loss to grasp:  I live in the desert in Las Vegas.  All around me is sand for miles and miles.  Not baking soda, not water and not boats!  Thank goodness for the lack of the last two!  I don't think my trusty Oreck XL Classic Deluxe can vacuum up either!  Think I should try?  

What state do you hail from?  The state of permanent confusion?  Can't be the great state of Tennessee!  That state claims such notables as Davy Crockett and the Tennessee Plowman!  Even Al Gore.  What happened to you?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #101   May 12, 2008 7:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL:

Here's a very concept basic concept which you at a total loss to grasp:  I live in the desert in Las Vegas.  All around me is sand for miles and miles.  Not baking soda, not water and not boats!  Thank goodness for the lack of the last two!  I don't think my trusty Oreck XL Classic Deluxe can vacuum up either!  Think I should try?  

What state do you hail from?  The state of permanent confusion?  Can't be the great state of Tennessee!  That state claims such notables as Davy Crockett and the Tennessee Plowman!  Even Al Gore.  What happened to you?

Carmine D.

My bad.  The sun must have cooked your brain.

Actually I am related to Merle Travis.  I guess those 16 tons fell on me.  Two Tennesseans I would rather not claim are Al Gore and Phil Bredesen.

Lucky1

Reply #102   May 13, 2008 12:06 pm
Congrats Christine I think you got a great vacuum and at a terrific price (is that dealer going out of business????). What part of the country do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
CarmineD

Reply #103   May 13, 2008 2:36 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I will give you reasons why I use baking soda.  You can decide if they benefit you.  1.  Great for removing grease off my stove, especially the back where the controls are located since it has a textured surface 2. Cleans grease off the range hood 3. Use in the dishwasher (especially when washing pots and pans 4. Leave open box in refrigerator to absorb odors.  5.  Use with vinegar as an all purpose cleaner and in drains to refresh them 5 It helps neutralize household odors  This could benefit you the most by eliminating the excrement odor of the bs  that you spew so abundantly.   There are so many more uses.

HS:

Since you took the time to dream these up, I'll respond. 

For points 1 and 2:  My Wife and I take turns dusting the stove off from lack of use.  It's just us 2 and the pup.  And the pup is diabetic and requires a special diet.  Cooking on the stove has become an ancient female ritual. 

For point 3:  Go back to the answer to 1 and 2.  Since we don't cook, there is no need to turn on the dishwasher regularly.  We take turns running it once a month to ensure it is still operating. 

For point 4: Everything in the fridge is sealed.  There are no odors. 

For point 5:  We use common household cleaners made for the specific purpose.  Vinegar is used only for salad making and eating. We enjoy citrus fruits and throw the skins of lemons in the garbage disposal.  Accomplishes the same effect as the b/s and doesn't cost any extra.

For point 6:  Don't have any household odors.  Why?  I own and vacuum daily with the Oreck. We keep the dog clean and groomed in part by vacuuming with the HOOVER cann.  I have a special tool for the purpose.

Finally, the only time I detect an odor is when I'm reading one of your posts here.  Then I just scroll up/down to one of mine, and the air automatically is fresh and clean again.

I trust you get the jist of my thoughts on baking soda.  I think the substance is highly over rated.  Why?  To sell, of course.  I'm told the box costs more than the content.  Figures.  Who in their right frame of mind would ever go to the store to buy a box of baking soda?  It's a white elephant now-a-days.  Don't need it, don't want it.

Asylums are for people like you who buy things for trumped up reasons thinking they need it.  They are commonly called crazy!

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 13, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 94 - 103 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42