Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 83 - 92 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #83   May 11, 2008 9:21 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I know from experience that the Dyson will not clog with Capture.  I have also used a Dyson to vacuum an unfinished that had years of dirt and dust accumulated.  No problem.

I previously suggested taking the baking soda to an Oreck store.  They have no hose so it should be a good test to sprinkle it on a bare floor to see how Oreck handles fine dust.  My bet is that it will blow the baking soda across the room.

Hello HS:

I know most vacuums that are working right won't clog with capture.  What's the issue?

Baking soda is a bogus and ridiculous test.  I didn't realize you mentioned it HS.  Shame on you.  Who vacuums up baking soda in large quantities in their homes?  Maybe a spill or two at best.  And if spilled in large amount, like potting soil or anything else, isn't the logical clean up to remove the bulk by manual means [old fashion broom and dust pan] and then pull out the vacuum for the rest?  Most normal people would do that in their homes.  There may be an idiot who will do it all with the vacuum.  Unfortunately, they still don't require IQ tests to identify idiots before they buy vacuums. 

Baking soda is the stupidest thing I heard of since some local yokel suggested vacuuming up burning ashes from a grill/fireplace as a valid vacuum test.  What moron would do such a dim-witted thing let alone publicly suggest same to others as a test for a vacuum?  If you read vacuum manual, all the manufacturers advise against it.  ALL.  No exception.  Not even your fave brand.

There is enough natural occurring household dirt and dust available in most homes to put vacuums to the test without concocting idiotic tests out of ludicrouscy.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified May 11, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #84   May 11, 2008 9:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

I know most vacuums that are working right won't clog with capture.  What's the issue?

Baking soda is a bogus and ridiculous test.  I didn't realize you mentioned it HS.  Shame on you.  Who vacuums up baking soda in large quantities in their homes?  Maybe a spill or two at best.  And if spilled in large amount, like potting soil or anything else, isn't the logical clean up to remove the bulk by manual means [old fashion broom and dust pan] and then pull out the vacuum for the rest?  Most normal people would do that in their homes.  There may be an idiot who will do it all with the vacuum.  Unfortunately, they still don't require IQ tests to identify idiots before they buy vacuums. 

Baking soda is the stupidest thing I heard of since some local yokel suggested vacuuming up burning ashes from a grill/fireplace as a valid vacuum test.  What moron would do such a dim-witted thing let alone publicly suggest same to others as a test for a vacuum?  If you read vacuum manual, all the manufacturers advise against it.  ALL.  No exception.  Not even your fave brand.

There is enough natural occurring household dirt and dust available in most homes to put vacuums to the test without concocting idiotic tests out of ludicrouscy.

Carmine D. 

I have to assume I hit a nerve because your Oreck fails the test.  If you were intelligent you would know what I am suggesting.  I never said to dump a box of soda on the floor.  I said sprinkle soda on a herd surface and watch the Oreck blow it away without picking it up.

Any fool knows that a Dyson will not clog when used by an intelligent person.  You were basking in glory when another fool calimed clogging while vacuming up leaves. This was justification to remove the 'no loss of suction' claim---in a fools mind.

The stupidest thing that I ever heard is an old fool suggesting that Hoover or Oreck is better than Dyson.

CarmineD

Reply #85   May 11, 2008 9:42 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

The stupidest thing that I ever heard is an old fool suggesting that Hoover or Oreck is better than Dyson.

You're right.  Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping, the Rug and Carpet Institute of America and just about every other vacuum industry source recommends a HOOVER and Oreck over dyson.  These have been around for quite awhile.  But unfortunately you have to be able to read/comprehend English to understand them.  That would leave idiots like you at a loss.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #86   May 11, 2008 9:46 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I have to assume I hit a nerve because your Oreck fails the test. 

You hit a nerve alright.  It's the one that says give that man a big idiot sign so others know he's coming.  You can't read so you'll probably think it's a price tag and hope some one buys you and gives you a home.  I suggest a locked cage where you can't hurt yourself by doing dumb things.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 11, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #87   May 12, 2008 8:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
You're right.  Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping, the Rug and Carpet Institute of America and just about every other vacuum industry source recommends a HOOVER and Oreck over dyson.  These have been around for quite awhile.  But unfortunately you have to be able to read/comprehend English to understand them.  That would leave idiots like you at a loss.

Carmine D.

It is very apparent that you have fallen out of the boat AGAIN.  You keep using those same references over and over.  Consumers do not seem to agree with them or you.  In real world useage those vacuums seem to fail the comsumers expectations.  Research and you will find far more satisfied Dyson owners.  Others say that although they could not afford Dyson it is their preference.  Both Dyson owners and non owners recommend Dyson when advising others who are seeking advise on a new purchase.   Other than you and a few other indies no one mentions those references that you keep repeating.

You have told us that unit sales (market share) are more important than $ sales while I have contended that profits are more conducive to paying the bills.  Hoover sold more units than Dyson (per you).  Hoover failed financially and Dyson is still financially strong.  Who is the idiot here?

It is only my assumption that Hoover sold more boxes than Oreck.  Selling a $50 vacuum for $300 to $700 has to be very profitable for Oreck  regardless of units sold.  Perhaps ole Dave shares my view of sales since he hasn't failed financially as has Hoover.  We could also add Kirby to the high $ sales over units sold.   While we are at it why not include all those super expensive European models that the indies sell fewer of and make more profits on.

Have a nice day.

HARDSELL

Reply #88   May 12, 2008 8:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
You hit a nerve alright.  It's the one that says give that man a big idiot sign so others know he's coming.  You can't read so you'll probably think it's a price tag and hope some one buys you and gives you a home.  I suggest a locked cage where you can't hurt yourself by doing dumb things.

Carmine D.

I can see that you do not  like to lose. 

You have said that you plan to buy another Dyson.  I do not plan to buy another Oreck or Hoover. 

HERE'S YOUR SIGN.

CarmineD

Reply #89   May 12, 2008 8:46 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I can see that you do not  like to lose. 

You have said that you plan to buy another Dyson.  I do not plan to buy another Oreck or Hoover. 

HERE'S YOUR SIGN.

HS:

W-R-O-N-G!   I said I would test the new dysons and determine if they were worthy of buying.  I did and they weren't which I made very clear several times.  The only dyson I agreed to accept is a free DC25 that several marketing researchers have been trying to force on me for free for the last 4 weeks.  But since you don't read/comprehend English, you're at a loss again.

I can take credit [blame] for being open minded enough to believe that after making vacuums 6 years here and 25 years in the UK, dyson just might eventually market a vacuum for US consumption that is worthy of the ridiculous sales prices.  As opposed to you.  You say that just because my Oreck devours pounds of sand every week from living in the desert, I have to see if the Oreck will pick up baking soda.  The former isn't valid but the latter is a real vacuuming test. 

No friend.  You keep the sign.  You earned it fair and square!

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 12, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #90   May 12, 2008 8:54 am
Hey,  Boys please keep it coming,i really could use the amusement today.

GIT- ER- DONE........

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #91   May 12, 2008 9:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

W-R-O-N-G!   I said I would test the new dysons and determine if they were worthy of buying.  I did and they weren't which I made very clear several times.  But since you don't read/comprehend English, you're at a loss again.

I can take credit [blame] for being open minded enough to believe that after making vacuums 6 years here and 25 years in the UK, dyson just might eventually market a vacuum for US consumption that is worthy of the ridiculous sales prices.  As opposed to you.  You say that just because my Oreck devours pounds of sand every week from living in the desert, I have to see if the Oreck will pick up baking soda.  The former isn't valid but the latter is a real vacuuming test.                                                                                                                                    (former)                                                                                                                  (latter)

No friend.  You keep the sign.  You earned it fair and square!

Carmine D.

I am intelligent enough to know that in the last 3 years since I tried an Oreck there have been no improvements to them.  No need to try their electric brooms again.

Dust and sand are both realistic in homes.  I do not have sand.  Unfortunately I do have a lot of dust on my wood floors so it is more important to me that my vacuum has the ability to suck it up and not blow it around the house.  I think that we have agreed before that there is no ONE vacuum for all.  I just happen to believe that Dyson is better as a one for all.  Oreck requires two vacuums to do it all (as best it can).

I suggested soda as a substiute for dust since it is more readily available than dust.  Are you now saying that sand (former) isn't valid but soda (latter) is?

Since I can't read I hope that my interpreter is quoting you correctly in order for me to properly respond.

This message was modified May 12, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #92   May 12, 2008 2:24 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

I suggested soda as a substiute for dust since it is more readily available than dust.  Are you now saying that sand (former) isn't valid but soda (latter) is?

HS:

I have no baking soda in my entire house and haven't for years.  Give me one reason why I should.  Maybe I should replace the sand in my grand daughters' sand box in my back yard [sand is free here in the desert] with oh....I don't know what would you say 5,000 to 10,000 boxes of baking soda at 50 cents a pop.  So the grands and the dog can trek baking soda into the house rather than sand.  My Oreck can devour it instead of the sand.  Sand is the culprit that wears out rugs and carpets anyway.  More so than baking soda.  And I can talk all the friends and neighbors into doing the same, and before you know it LV will have the market in baking soda cornered. Then we can charge $120 a box so idiots can test their vacuums using baking soda before buying.  Wonderful idea.

I like the Oreck so much I bought 4 and gifted 3 to others, who also rave about them.  You like the dyson so much you brag about it in every post but you don't own one.  You owned one for 2 years.  After the warranty was over, you sold it.  I asked you why you don't buy another dyson since you always brag about how great it was.  What did you tell us?  In 5 different posts at different times?  You don't want to pay the high price for a dyson.  Dah?  Sound familiar?  I've been telling you the exact same thing for years.  But you're at a loss to understand.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 12, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 83 - 92 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42