Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Kirby tranny problems, any advice?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

Kirby tranny problems, any advice?
Original Message   May 9, 2008 1:32 pm
So, my Kirby G5 is my favorite machine. Imagine my horror this morning when I was vacuuming and heard something awful come from it! I was using the machine in neutral (something I almost never do) and I heard the transmission trying to run! It still works properly in drive, but it's my understanding that the transmission should be silent in neutral. I lifted the machine and and while in neutral, I pushed and pulled on the handle as if I were vacuuming... I heard the transmission trying to run but the back wheels didn't turn. I flipped it into drive and the wheels worked as they should. Any clues as to what's going on here and how big of a deal it would be to fix?

I guess I could get back on CL and look for another G Series machine if necessary. I'm not mechanically inclined... I took a G3 apart when I was 16 and couldn't get it back together... it was also having transmission trouble.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a feeling that if it isn't a repair that I can do myself I'll go on Craig's List for another and trash this one... I only paid 200 dollars for it and could certainly get another for that amount if the repair would be more than that.

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
mole

Re: Kirby tranny problems, any advice?
Reply #1   May 10, 2008 8:37 pm
Hi V.F. how long has the g5 been doing this?,It sounds to me like the problem lies in the actuator[the pedal that rocks back and forth.DID YOU PLAY AROUND WITH THE SET SCREWS ON THE TRANSMISSION.These 2 screws control the clutches inside the tranny. These should be adjusted with the machine in neutral. You did not swap the trans out with another?,the g5 must have the same serial numbered tranny that came out of it,in other words a g3/4/6/7/ tranny might look the same but trust me they spin the armature backwards,and the this will cause the machine to do wheelies.and the trans will only work in reverse.

MOLE
Vacuumfreeeke

Re: Kirby tranny problems, any advice?
Reply #2   May 13, 2008 7:12 pm
Thanks for the response.  My, this forum has sure slowed down since it whatsthebest-vacuum.com. 

I noticed the problem the day I made this post.  It is the original transmission.  I did rock the drive/netural lever back and forth a few times and the problem remained.  Should I open the machine up and fiddle around with the scews on the transmission and see if that fixed the problem?

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42