Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 52 - 61 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #52   May 9, 2008 12:07 am
Before you buy the overpriced Oreck, look at the new Riccar SupraLite and Simplicity Freedom with the metal brushroll and permanent poly V belt.  This machine also has a belt protection system that will shut the machine off if anything jams the brush.  You will find this machine to clean better than the Oreck and youll never have to change a belt.   Just a thought.
CarmineD

Reply #53   May 9, 2008 3:55 am
In the current economic environment, a savvy vacuum shopper can probably snag  a new Oreck upright for considerably less than the standard sticker prices.  As Just pointed out, the Oreck store where he shopped recently lowered the price by $100.  The US Humane Society in concert with Oreck offered the XL Classic DeLuxe for $150 plus shipping.  Independent vacuum stores will probably do the same [lower the prices on new and used Orecks] to be competitive with the Oreck stores.  So shop smart.  By all means consider/test every lightweight brand mentioned before buying. 

If buying American is important, the Simplicity/RICCAR brands are home grown [I believe but worth verifying] and as Vacuuman and others said these are excellent rug/floor performers.  But there is only one original.  When it comes to lightweights, it is Oreck: 8 pounds. 

Like all household products, our own personal preferences and needs must be factored into the purchase decision.  Why?  They count as much as performance/service in determining whether we like/dislike the product and use regularly with enthusiam. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 9, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #54   May 9, 2008 4:24 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Christine,

Another person informed me that older dealers who sold Oreck before the "Oreck store exclusive" policy went into effect can still purchase the traditional-style uprights, so I stand corrected on that.  -MH

Sounds an awful lot like McDonald's! 

And sounds like a successful marketing strategy.  Wonder if other vacuum makers considered?  Probably too late for most.  Here's how it works.  First, you go with the established business stores/people in the industry.  Authorize/franchise them for your products.  Then, over time [and with the assistance of money from profits and revenues] you open exclusive stores and put in place a nationwide network of your own.  Sounds like a win win situation for all.  Most especially if you plan to be in the business for the long term.  What's Oreck going on now:  Close to 50 years in the USA?  How old is McDonald's?  About the same, maybe a little more? 

I think that may have been the subject of the discussion that Dave and I had many years ago.  If my memory serves me correctly.  It doesn't always. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #55   May 9, 2008 9:17 am
CarmineD wrote:
Sounds an awful lot like McDonald's! 

And sounds like a successful marketing strategy.  Wonder if other vacuum makers considered?  Probably too late for most.  Here's how it works.  First, you go with the established business stores/people in the industry.  Authorize/franchise them for your products.  Then, over time [and with the assistance of money from profits and revenues] you open exclusive stores and put in place a nationwide network of your own.  Sounds like a win win situation for all.  Most especially if you plan to be in the business for the long term.  What's Oreck going on now:  Close to 50 years in the USA?  How old is McDonald's?  About the same, maybe a little more? 

I think that may have been the subject of the discussion that Dave and I had many years ago.  If my memory serves me correctly.  It doesn't always. 

Carmine D.

Excellent analogy.  McDonalds products are mediocre at best.  Just like when they started years ago.

Marketing strategy/hype is great for sales of an inferior product. but not for the consumer.

HARDSELL

Reply #56   May 9, 2008 9:20 am
CarmineD wrote:
In the current economic environment, a savvy vacuum shopper can probably snag  a new Oreck upright for considerably less than the standard sticker prices.  As Just pointed out, the Oreck store where he shopped recently lowered the price by $100.  The US Humane Society in concert with Oreck offered the XL Classic DeLuxe for $150 plus shipping.  Independent vacuum stores will probably do the same [lower the prices on new and used Orecks] to be competitive with the Oreck stores.  So shop smart.  By all means consider/test every lightweight brand mentioned before buying. 

If buying American is important, the Simplicity/RICCAR brands are home grown [I believe but worth verifying] and as Vacuuman and others said these are excellent rug/floor performers.  But there is only one original.  When it comes to lightweights, it is Oreck: 8 pounds. 

Like all household products, our own personal preferences and needs must be factored into the purchase decision.  Why?  They count as much as performance/service in determining whether we like/dislike the product and use regularly with enthusiam. 

Carmine D.

This does not sound like a bargain.  What do you suggest one do if they purchase the $150 Oreck sans the tools? 
This message was modified May 9, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #57   May 9, 2008 11:47 am
HARDSELL wrote:
This does not sound like a bargain.  What do you suggest one do if they purchase the $150 Oreck sans the tools? 

Hello HARDSELL:

I use a HOOVER Cann I purchased at BEST BUY for $50.  That mostly spends time in the closet.

The Oreck is out in my study/office and gets used daily.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #58   May 9, 2008 12:06 pm
Christine

A couple of items to note when comparing the Lower priced Oreck's with the Simplicity Freedom.

1 The aluminum neck on the Oreck tends to wear differently than the metal screws holding it. After a while the neck starts to wobble. They almost always come into the shop needing to be tightened or worse case need to be replaced. The Freedom has a round neck that stays in place.

2 The Freedom has a bigger Fan than the Oreck

3 The roller on the Oreck has long SOFT bristles. Some people find it hard to push on thick carpeting. The Freedom has a short STIFF bristle roller. When comparing the two you MUST try them on the same style carpet you will be vacuuming.

4 The Oreck has four wheels on the underside. The Freedom has six.

5 I like the Hepa CLOTH bags that are available for the Freedom. I know Oreck has a paper hepa bag but I don't know if Oreck has cloth.

Another poster mentioned a Metal roller & auto shut off. I am not aware of these features on the Freedom but I don't know alot of things! Those features are available on the Synchrony and Synergy lines. They are WAY TOO HEAVY for your requirements.

Lucky
CarmineD

Reply #59   May 9, 2008 12:16 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Excellent analogy.  McDonalds products are mediocre at best.  Just like when they started years ago.

Marketing strategy/hype is great for sales of an inferior product. but not for the consumer.

HS:

I apologize for the off vacuum subject but this is somewaht related.  McDonald's is the only FAST FOOD chain that advertises during the Saturday morning kids' shows and cartoons.  It spends about $2 Million a DAY in advertising.  Appealing to the kids who in turn influence their parents where to eat.  I'm a fan of both: Mac's and cartoons.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #60   May 9, 2008 1:10 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Christine

A couple of items to note when comparing the Lower priced Oreck's with the Simplicity Freedom.

1 The aluminum neck on the Oreck tends to wear differently than the metal screws holding it. After a while the neck starts to wobble. They almost always come into the shop needing to be tightened or worse case need to be replaced. The Freedom has a round neck that stays in place.

2 The Freedom has a bigger Fan than the Oreck

3 The roller on the Oreck has long SOFT bristles. Some people find it hard to push on thick carpeting. The Freedom has a short STIFF bristle roller. When comparing the two you MUST try them on the same style carpet you will be vacuuming.

4 The Oreck has four wheels on the underside. The Freedom has six.

5 I like the Hepa CLOTH bags that are available for the Freedom. I know Oreck has a paper hepa bag but I don't know if Oreck has cloth.

Another poster mentioned a Metal roller & auto shut off. I am not aware of these features on the Freedom but I don't know alot of things! Those features are available on the Synchrony and Synergy lines. They are WAY TOO HEAVY for your requirements.

Lucky

Lucky 1:

All excellent points for comparison.  IMHO.  Oreck has a HEPA Celoc hypo-allergenic paper.  This may be comparable to the HEPA cloth like bags.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #61   May 9, 2008 1:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I apologize for the off vacuum subject but this is somewaht related.  McDonald's is the only FAST FOOD chain that advertises during the Saturday morning kids' shows and cartoons.  It spends about $2 Million a DAY in advertising.  Appealing to the kids who in turn influence their parents where to eat.  I'm a fan of both: Mac's and cartoons.

Carmine D.

No apology is necessary.    Your vacuum choices ars so amusing that it is no wonder that you like cartoons.
Replies: 52 - 61 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42