Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vax Mach Series Upright Range

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm
I knew that Vax UK (which we all know is now part of the TTI conglomerate) had been rebadging Hoover Mach series dual-cyclone uprights, however, paying a visit to their site yesterday I noticed that the design has been slightly modified, for the better I have to say.  Check out the familiar-looking shroud in the bin that was taken directly from the Dirt Devil Spinnergy.  You could say Hoover has invented the Fantom, let's hope that Hoover is just as successful

While I don't think the Hoover Fusion/Maytag Legacy/Mach series machines with the vertically perforated shroud are bad machines, they cannot handle large amounts of fine dust well (the pre-motor filter will get dirty quite fast), and pet hair has a problem sticking to the shroud since the air is pulled in vertically vs. horizontally.  CR reviewed the Fusion a year or two ago and their main complaint was high dust emissions.  Apparently this shroud improvement has already been implemented in the new Hoover Mach 3 at Wal-Mart (blue with yellow touch-points).  It wouldn't surprise me if these machines eventually become top sellers in their price range...any customer who does not or cannot shell out $500 or so for a Dyson will have a good dual-cyclone machine for a fraction of that.  "Is that a new Hoover?"  "No, that's just an old Fantom, from 10 years ago, remember?"

-MH
This message was modified Apr 29, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 15 - 24 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Reply #15   May 2, 2008 11:31 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Wal Mart sells a $60 Bagless Bissell that is better than the over $100 Fusion was.

Hi Hardsell,

Which model is this?  The only true cyclonic Bissells I know of besides the flagship HealthyHome are the dual-cyclone Velocity and Total Floors Velocity, $130 and $140 respectively (and which to my knowledge were never sold at WM).  The rest, as far as I know, are the godawful filtered types.

I'll be checking out Wal-Mart to see if the improved Hoover Mach 3 with the *proper* shroud has hit the shelves.  I may be tempted to pick one up.

Hi DC18,

Isn't that funny that those who do not care for Dysons constantly complain about their weight?  From what I've found a full-sized Dyson (DC07, 14, 15 ,17) is certainly no heavier or bulkier than any other $200+ upright with on-board tools; I'm even going to say there are many other machines that weigh twice as much...take those Panasonic bagless monstrosities for instance.  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH
This message was modified May 2, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 3, 2008 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH

As I recall you stated here on this Forum that  US sales in 2007

were 4 million dyson units. 

Where did your sales figures come from?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #17   May 3, 2008 8:28 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Hardsell,

Which model is this?  The only true cyclonic Bissells I know of besides the flagship HealthyHome are the dual-cyclone Velocity and Total Floors Velocity, $130 and $140 respectively (and which to my knowledge were never sold at WM).  The rest, as far as I know, are the godawful filtered types.

I'll be checking out Wal-Mart to see if the improved Hoover Mach 3 with the *proper* shroud has hit the shelves.  I may be tempted to pick one up.

Hi DC18,

Isn't that funny that those who do not care for Dysons constantly complain about their weight?  From what I've found a full-sized Dyson (DC07, 14, 15 ,17) is certainly no heavier or bulkier than any other $200+ upright with on-board tools; I'm even going to say there are many other machines that weigh twice as much...take those Panasonic bagless monstrosities for instance.  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH

Bissell PowerForce Turbo Bagless Upright Vacuum is now $68.76.  It rates 4+ stars on Wal Mart site.

Several report that it replaced their Hoover and performs better.  Also reports of out performing the Orecks that were replaced with this cheapo.

CarmineD

Reply #18   May 3, 2008 8:31 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Bissell PowerForce Turbo Bagless Upright Vacuum is now $68.76.  It rates 4+ stars on Wal Mart site.

Several report that it replaced their Hoover and performs better.  Also reports of out performing the Orecks that were replaced with this cheapo.

You're a humorist HS.  By far, the best performing BISSELL upright on the market today is the Healthy Home.  And it is giving dyson a run for its money at the big box retailers.  Now the BISSELL HH comes with a 5 year warranty just like dysons but for half the price. 

With the 5 year warranty and the BISSELL HH-s brush roll, turbo tool on board, rug height adjustment, headlight, and price, it is a much better buy than any of the full size dyson uprights on the market today.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #19   May 3, 2008 9:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
You're a humorist HS.  By far, the best performing BISSELL upright on the market today is the Healthy Home.  And it is giving dyson a run for its money at the big box retailers.  Now the BISSELL HH comes with a 5 year warranty just like dysons but for half the price. 

With the 5 year warranty and the BISSELL HH-s brush roll, turbo tool on board, rug height adjustment, headlight, and price, it is a much better buy than any of the full size dyson uprights on the market today.

Carmine D.

I was comparing the Bissell with a $100 + Hoover.  Where did I say that this was Bissell's best.  Try to follow me and get your mind off the LV babes.

I owned botgh the Dyson and the HH.  Kept the Dyson 3 years and the HH less than 30 days.  Can you guess which performed best in my home?

At the present time price is likely more important to most consumers than the performance, hence the HH is a good seller.  Do you have evidence that the HH has out sold Dyson?  I doubt it.

Dyson has 5 year warranty.  I fo not care for turbo tools.  Most vacuums do not have enough hose suction to make them function any better than straight suction (they bog down).  Rug height adjustment is not a problem for me.  Headlight is useless in my house because I have lamps and ceiling lights.  Headlight does not increase suction or brush performance.  A best buy is what is best for the user.

bucks03

Reply #20   May 3, 2008 9:47 am
VAX Machs look horrible  I've seen one in a house I went to in North London and it looks like some nasty bulking thing in the corner.

Ive tried one in shop  way way too bulky.  I used to think my Dyson DC04 was bulky, no way is it compared to these VAX monsters.

CarmineD

Reply #21   May 3, 2008 2:48 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

At the present time price is likely more important to most consumers than the performance, hence the HH is a good seller.  Do you have evidence that the HH has out sold Dyson?  I doubt it.

HS:

I know you don't believe me unless I provide 10 corroborating independent authoritative sources. 

How about Matt mmc Airblade?  If so, then follow me on this.   Consumer Reports in March 2008 cited the HOOVER brand as a "best seller."  I quoted it here.  Matt responded saying that he thought NPD says Bissell, Dirt Devil, and Eureka outsell HOOVER.  He said he would post the actual units.  He hasn't yet.

My sense is all these 4 brands: HOOVER, DD, BISSELL, and EUREKA vie for the most vacuums sold year over year.   Generally, there are about 20-22 MILLION new vacuums sold each year.  [Just vacuums.  No sticks, handcleaners, robots and other floorcare products like floor washers and rug cleaners].  According to Matt and NPD, the dyson brand has about 9-10 percent of that amount each year now.  The HOOVER brand is probably somewhere in the range of 30-40 percent with the other 3 brands close behind HOOVER.   Why such a large range for HOOVER?  In large part because of the turbulence caused by the uncertainty of the Whirpool/Maytag buyout over the past 2 years and subsequent closure of the North Canton plant.

If you agree with the above it's not hard to figure out where dysons stand in relation to BISSEL and the other brands for units sold year over year.  The BISSELL Healthy Home has probably catapulted the brand onto the short list of best selling vacuums in 2006 and 2007.  Since BISSELL was not on the list for many years, lagging well behind Dirt Devil, HOOVER and Eureka for the top spots.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #22   May 3, 2008 3:05 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Dyson has 5 year warranty.  I fo not care for turbo tools.  Most vacuums do not have enough hose suction to make them function any better than straight suction (they bog down).  Rug height adjustment is not a problem for me.  Headlight is useless in my house because I have lamps and ceiling lights.  Headlight does not increase suction or brush performance.  A best buy is what is best for the user.

And just to add 3 more reasons for the BISSELL HH over a dyson:  Consumer Reports gives a better rating to the BISSELL HH over all the dyson uprights on the market save the DC17.  And the scores for the HH and DC17 are too close to differentiate.

The Rug Institute of America recommends the BISSELL brand.   

Good Houskeeping gives its seal of approval to the BISSELL Healthy Home.  

I know you kow towed the HH saying the rug cleaning/grooming on the dyson DC07 was superior.  I find that very hard to fathom.  The brush roll on the HEALTHY HOME is an identical copy of the HOOVER WT Supreme.  One of the best in the industry.  We all know the shortcomings of the DC07 and 14 brush rolls.  Probably the worse in the industry for a full size vacuum.  Even Mr. Dyson does and the reason he revamped the brush roll and nixed the clutch on all future upright models. 

Carmine D.

bucks03

Reply #23   May 3, 2008 3:47 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Vax has a 6 year warranty but I still do not see the appeal of them. 

If anyone wants a good quality vacuum cleaner go for a Sebo will way outlast its warranty.  A Dyson needs 5 year warranty due to its poor reliablity and this has been well documented in testing magazines and out national press, Dyson had to persuade they are good, the adverts showing their test robots bashing machines was part of this campaign.

Vax machines were known for the 3 in 1 machines, which don't seem to be anymore.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #24   May 3, 2008 6:52 pm
Hi Motorhead

Very true people that don't care for Dyson say they are bulky and heavy but there are other vacuums out there like you say that are bulker and heavier than a Dyson.  Also other vacuums can have like the Vax Mach range a load of switches that just confuse people and put them off or they don't ever use any of them!  Where as vacuums like Dyson, Sebo are simple to use.

Makes me wonder why they have offered a 6 year warranty on the Vax Mach range!

DC18

Replies: 15 - 24 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42