Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Dyson DC22
Original Message   Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am
The Dyson DC22 canister was very recently introduced in Japan. I have heard that this will make it to the US market in order to expand their canister range.

Key Features:

-Root Cyclone with Core Separation
-Dyson Digital Motor
-Stowaway Design
-Motorhead
-Pre filter rinse once every seven years

This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 64 - 73 of 162Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: Dyson DC22
Reply #64   Mar 29, 2008 6:54 am
I've inspected the DC22 (UK) both models. First thing I will say is how heavy it is for the size it is!  Even with out the wand wrapped around it!  Very small, samller than the DC05 (UK) from years back, but slightly wider in width but smaller in length!

Both models have plastic tubes on the telescope wand, not sure if I personally like this, prefer the wand on the other models. Although looking at the pictures on this post the Japan model doesn't use plastic tubes!  There is a new air driven brush/turbo head

like the Japan but with normal brushes on the brush bar!  The nozzle pivots slighly like the upright models do (DC07/DC14). The animal comes with a new small version of this too.  The base model has a small version of the new 'flat out tool'.  Both modles have the root and core technology.  On opening up the bin the

root and core cyclones both share one big rubber gasket seal but the collection for both is separated. The Shroud filter is very close to the out bin container unlike other models.  This range also uses a slight wider diameter hose than previous dyson canisters. 

Another thing which has been commented on is the hose connection tot he wand is fixed and does nto pivot like previous models!   I do think Dyson should have used the DDM on the UK version of this!

Not had a change to use one yet but I have the new DC24 and 25 which I will post details on the DC24/25 thread!

DC18

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by DC18
DysonInventsBig

Reply #65   Apr 1, 2008 7:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

The EUREKA bagless Whirlwind uses

a clear bin too.  So users could see the dirt

and swirling suction action.  Sound familiar?

I believe dyson did the same following EUREKA's

lead.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Here is James Dyson’s dual cyclone w/clear bin U.S. patent - filed in 1984.

Here and below is my Fantom Capture upright/dry shampooer, James’ 1st licensed American dual cyclonic w/clear bin and

U.S. patent - filed in 1988.   It is my understanding that no other manufacturer pre-dates James’ clear bin.  A clear sight glass yes, a clear bin no.

If any collectors know of any clear binned vacuum that pre-dates James’ clear bin I’d like to see it (post here).        DIB

Note:  Amway using Bissell as a manufacturer stole James' dual cyclonic and had on the U.S. market in 1990

(per James Dyson autobiography – “Against the Odds”)  Read of it here

This message was modified Aug 12, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

bucks03

Reply #66   Apr 2, 2008 3:53 pm
DC18 wrote:

Both models have plastic tubes on the telescope wand, not sure if I personally like this, prefer the wand on the other models. Although looking at the pictures on this post the Japan model doesn't use plastic tubes!  There is a new air driven brush/turbo head

I agree about the plastic tubing.  I think it looks very cheap!!  Have you noticed the Alluminium used on the DC19?  Its an easily marked version that looks rather tatty after a while in the electrcal store.  I couldn't help but feel extreamly disappointed when Dyson sent this type of wand out when the original STEEL wand on my DC05 developed a crack in the top plastic part.  Its unreal as the whole handle broke on the DC05 in half (this also happened to a friends DC02)

When the handle on my DC04 snapped, Dyson sent me a replacemnet which feels more stronger despite the change in the plastic used,  the latter one being Polyproplene whereas the original which was ABS and become brittle over the years,  I don't think the newer Polyproplene will become brittle.

Do you know what type of plastic Dyson uses on the 'Wand' on the DC22?   I agree what a shame Dyson did not use the DDM motor.

CarmineD

Reply #67   Apr 2, 2008 5:03 pm

Carmine,

Here is James Dyson’s dual cyclone w/clear bin U.S. patent - filed in 1984.

Here and below is my Fantom Capture upright/dry shampooer, James’ 1st licensed American dual cyclonic w/clear bin and

U.S. patent - filed in 1987.   It is my understanding that no other manufacturer pre-dates James’ clear bin.  A clear sight glass yes, a clear bin no.

If any collectors know of any clear binned vacuum that pre-dates James’ clear bin I’d like to see it (post here).        DIB

Note:  Amway using Bissell as a manufacturer stole James' dual cyclonic and had on the U.S. market in 1990

(per James Dyson autobiography – “Against the Odds”)  Read of it here

Hello DIB:

Eureka's first bagless upright, called the Whirlwind "cyclonic" 

that was mass marketed in the USA was a single cyclone, not dual cyclone

like dyson.

WRT to the first clear dust bin, I mentioned recently that Regina used a

clear plastic dust cup on its later Electrik Brooms [probably late 1960's early 1970's]. 

So users could see the dirt in the cup for dumping.

Also Lewyt canisters, which were bagless and then went bagged in the

mid 1950's, used a paper bag called the Speed Sak that had a clear see thru panel

that extended the entire length of the bag.  So users didn't have to quess if

the bag needed to be replaced.  

Most if not all of the floor washers and scrubbers of the 1960's and 1970's used clear/cloudy

see thru plastic water tanks so users could see the levels of clean/dirty water

solutions.

Name brand canisters in the 1970's, like Sears, used clear see thru plastic covers for the tops

of the on-board tool storage so users could see that all the tools were present and properly

stored.

The application of clear/see-thru floorcare bins, bags, tanks and covers is not unique

to any particular vacuum brand, make, and/or model like dyson/dyson bagless vacuums.  Their

usage has a long and storied history in the vacuum/floorcare industry in the USA dating

back several decades before Mr. Dyson.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 2, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #68   Apr 3, 2008 5:13 pm
Hi bucks03

Not sure what plastic Dyson is using on the DC22 to be honest.  I don't like the look of the telescope wand when it is extended, the platic makes it look 'cheap'!!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #69   Apr 3, 2008 7:43 pm

Hello DIB:

Eureka's first bagless upright, called the Whirlwind "cyclonic" 

that was mass marketed in the USA was a single cyclone, not dual cyclone

like dyson.

Carmine,

Re: Whirlwind Cyclonic.  Since Eureka abandoned it, it must be assumed as a mechanical failure.  It filtered probably no better than today’s so called bagless cyclonic, Dyson-looking but not Dyson-filtering vacuums.

WRT to the first clear dust bin, I mentioned recently that Regina used a

clear plastic dust cup on its later Electrik Brooms [probably late 1960's early 1970's]. 

So users could see the dirt in the cup for dumping.

So it is settled, Regina fathered the clear dust cup and Dyson fathered the clear cyclonic collector.

Today manufactures have and will continue to profit perhaps in the hundreds of millions of dollars

by copying James’ clear cyclonic collector innovation.  Is the Regina dust cup being copied

or nearly exactly copied by many (as Dyson competitors are doing to Dyson)?

Also Lewyt canisters, which were bagless and then went bagged in the

mid 1950's, used a paper bag called the Speed Sak that had a clear see thru panel

that extended the entire length of the bag.  So users didn't have to quess if

the bag needed to be replaced.  

Most if not all of the floor washers and scrubbers of the 1960's and 1970's used clear/cloudy

see thru plastic water tanks so users could see the levels of clean/dirty water

solutions.

Name brand canisters in the 1970's, like Sears, used clear see thru plastic covers for the tops

of the on-board tool storage so users could see that all the tools were present and properly

stored.

The application of clear/see-thru floorcare bins, bags, tanks and covers is not unique

to any particular vacuum brand, make, and/or model like dyson/dyson bagless vacuums.  Their

usage has a long and storied history in the vacuum/floorcare industry in the USA dating back several

…But “the suits” weren’t smart enough or inventive enough to see profits in making a clear cyclonic container. 

The “suits” were too busy dictating to the public what their definition of innovation was.  And not profiting from bag sales,

turned out to be way to much for the inventive inept “suits” to get their heads around.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #70   Apr 3, 2008 8:32 pm
DIB:

My response was not to prove/disprove a maker's first and unique use of

a particular technology/feature and/or application thereof.  I named a few that

came to mind and have since thought of others.  The vacuum industry

is over 100 years old.  Most of the vacuum features and technology over the

years have been used, reused, copied, improved, expanded, embellished

and fine tuned.  That's what happens over time.  It's called progress.

The first map of the world was based on the best knowledge and technology

gathered by the persons who explored and made maps at the time.  We don't hold

onto them forever.  Over time the knowledge increases, the technology improves and

the maps get better and are improved.  We don't keep and use the same maps for tradition's sake.

We make and use better maps based on more definitive information and experience of the persons

who came after.  Vacuums are the same.  They get better over time in form and function.  We would

be foolish to think that a decades old EUREKA Whirlwind bagless is the best for today's environment

and better than what has come after.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 3, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #71   Apr 3, 2008 10:29 pm

Hello Carmine,

Understood!  In the past you have been on the anti-Dyson war-path and have even come after me or others who enjoy Dyson’s accomplishments.

Glad this was not one of those times.  Hearing you write Mr. Dyson versus jadee or “Big Bird” has been a nice change too.

Challenges, although, is what keeps things interesting.  Keep the challenges coming.

The NIH attitude form vacuum manufactures has hurt themselves for sure.

Take a look at 2 very old cyclonic separators and vacuums.  In particular, the 2 stage train vacuum filtration was most advanced.  Here and here.        DIB

This message was modified Apr 3, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #72   Apr 4, 2008 7:45 am
DIB:

EUREKA has moved away from the clear plastic see-thru dirt bins.

The latest EUREKA Capture models which are now a year old

use plastic dirt bins that are tinted colors to compliment the colors of the vacuum.

Still see thru and functional.  I personally like this feature from an appearance

point of view.  Tinted matching colors are much more pleasing to the eye 

than the unsightly dirty clear plastic dirt bins.   I would imagine most vacuum

buyers and users would agree with me.  Retailers too.

How long will it be for other vacuum brands to follow EUREKA's lead? 

http://www.eureka.com/

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 4, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #73   Apr 4, 2008 10:05 am
WOW,im impressed,tinted bins,what will they think of next., how about an onboard am/fm 12 disc cd player with a gps system just so you know where the housecleaner is at all times.Would it come with ONSTAR free for 1 year?.
Question for the day,how come it takes 3 months to get a telescopic wand for an oxygen,im sure that the customer must be thrilled to death about not being able to use her vacuum for 3 months..............

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOW WORSE THAN EVER,DOES ANYONE IN THIS BUSINESS CARE ANYMORE,OR IS IT JUST GET THE MONEY AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT SCAM......................

MOLE............................................................
Replies: 64 - 73 of 162Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42