Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best vacuum for wood floors

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Best vacuum for wood floors
Original Message   Mar 25, 2008 8:36 am
No area rugs, carpet what so ever. Just wood floors... What would you suggest?
Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Best vacuum for wood floors
Reply #24   Mar 27, 2008 3:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The regina was the first 'electrik broom' [stick vacuum] followed by others including the HOOVER Lark.

Interesting to note that these stick vacuums were floor/rug cleaners but did not use the traditional barefloor

Carmine D.

Hi,

Keep in mind that during that time -- the '50s, '60s even the '70s and probably to date -- if you suggested that someone purchase a vacuum the immediate response from those who didn't employ carpeting in their home decor was, "What do I need one for?  I don't have any rugs.  It would appear that it was more intend as replacement to thecarpet sweeper.  Small, light and easy to pop in and out of the closet.

If I recall correctly, though the Regina was intended for rugs but the early ones had a piece -- can't remember if it used felt or bristle -- that snapped on to the nozzle for cleaning hard flooring.  Later came the dial adjustment for carpet and hard flooring, at one point a nozzle designed to vibrate ala the Eureka Vibra-Beat and I can't recall how many more spins on new ideas.  Nonetheless, the Reginas produced enough suction to be satisfactory enough to some to serve as their only vacuum. 

Bissell even produced standard and manufactured one stick vac with power nozzle in the mid-70s I believe.  Eureka had sticks that were real screamers.  Sunbeam made a couple of rather elegant looking ones -- the top of the line had an optional tool set.  Though General Electric produce a stick and also a floor washer, I've no idea how they sold. The Shetland-Lewyt stick was another loud number but sold rather well.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #25   Mar 27, 2008 4:16 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

....It would appear that it was more intend as replacement to thecarpet sweeper.  Small, light and easy to pop in and out of the closet.

If I recall correctly, though the Regina was intended for rugs but the early ones had a piece -- can't remember if it used felt or bristle -- that snapped on to the nozzle for cleaning hard flooring. 

Venson

Many Regina buyers and users did so on carpets.  But ........as the name so poignantly stated:  "Electrik Broom."  It was intended to be used as an electrified broom, not a rug cleaner.  Wherever you used a broom, you would use the Regina electric broom.  Regina was thrilled that it's use was expanded.  It's flaw was the dirt was picked up and went through the motor first to the cloth permanent bag.  Later models like the HOOVER improved on the design by putting the bag first and the motor on top.  Still people loved the Regina and many were sold despite the drawbacks and limitations.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 27, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #26   Mar 27, 2008 4:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 . . . It's flaw was the dirt was picked up and went through the motor first to the cloth permanent bag.  Later models like the HOOVER improved on the design by putting the bag first and the motor on top.  Still people loved the Regina and many were sold despite the drawbacks and limitations.

Carmine D.

True Carmine but do you think the Regina would have done as well without the well-advertised dust cup?  You just shook the bag and dumped the dirt in the trash.   No disposable bag of course but hassle as you wuold have had emptying the cloth bag on a standard upright vacuum.  Essentialy the idea Regina used is the same as age-old Kirby's.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #27   Mar 27, 2008 7:50 pm
Venson:

No doubt, the Regina dust cup was a convenient feature and nice touch.  Even see thru at one point.  [Sound familiar?]  Yes, modeled after the Kirby.  Both messy. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 27, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #28   Mar 27, 2008 10:28 pm
The regina electrik broom ,my my my i think that anyone that was in this business made at least a weeks pay just repairing these,It seems like my Dad was trying to punish me by making me fix these things.Did the origional head have the clip on felt pad, and the combo was the brush in the front and the felt pad in the back,?The best thing was trying to wire the 3 speed switch into this machine,it had more wire nuts than any other machine i've ever seen.It seemed like the dust cups always lost their seal,sort of reminds me of the bagless vacuums of today,the dirt goes everywhere but where it's suppose too.................

MOLE
dusty

Reply #29   Mar 28, 2008 12:18 am
Just a comment on the Oreck for floors debate.  If memory serves correctly (and I may be out to lunch on this) some Orecks incorporate a squeegee blade behind the roller while others do not.  If that's the case, would it not be the reason there are two completely different experiences regarding the same machine? Squeegee prevents dirt from being thrown, no squeegee provides low flying projectiles :-)

Dusty
Venson

Reply #30   Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am
mole wrote:
The regina electrik broom ,my my my i think that anyone that was in this business made at least a weeks pay just repairing these,It seems like my Dad was trying to punish me by making me fix these things.Did the origional head have the clip on felt pad, and the combo was the brush in the front and the felt pad in the back,?The best thing was trying to wire the 3 speed switch into this machine,it had more wire nuts than any other machine i've ever seen.It seemed like the dust cups always lost their seal,sort of reminds me of the bagless vacuums of today,the dirt goes everywhere but where it's suppose too.................

MOLE

Hi Mole,

Thanks for the personal history.  Just to look at one, you'd never think that there was all that much in one. 

I was never aware of the Electrik Broom's repair record.  Matter of fact, I thought it was probably cheap enough to be deemed the "disposable" appliance of the day. Yet, please tell us how much your dad charged for the repair of one.  

I never actually owned a Regina stick but was aware of the modifications they kept coming up with to make them interesting to the public.  Regina was only second to Eureka when it came to a flow of new gimmicks.  Please note that I say that most respectfully.  The Regina stick vac statyed basically the same, except for the model with power head., and chankges to the straight suction nozzle always kept shoppers thinking they were a little different than the last.  Did you ever form an opinion as to what percentage of the people your shop served had the Regina stick as their only vacuum?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only real competitors Regina sticks had were Hoover and Shetland.  Right?  Hoover sticks used the "clean air" method but the Shetland stick also used the old fashioned fan in air stream. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #31   Mar 28, 2008 7:07 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Hello Mole, Venson, Dusty et al:

Never sold new reginas.  I always viewed them as a "drug" on the market.  Always had 10-15 on hand used/for repair.  Sold to persons who were so inclined, with caveats.  Fans, nozzle necks, switches, fan housing gaskets, and inevitable dirt clogs in the neck leading to the fan housing, just to mention a few of the likely Regina repairs.

Early models did have the barefloor felt that clipped into the nozzle head.  But these were never used.  Always got lost.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 28, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #32   Mar 28, 2008 10:55 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Mole,

Thanks for the personal history.  Just to look at one, you'd never think that there was all that much in one. 

I was never aware of the Electrik Broom's repair record.  Matter of fact, I thought it was probably cheap enough to be deemed the "disposable" appliance of the day. Yet, please tell us how much your dad charged for the repair of one.  

I never actually owned a Regina stick but was aware of the modifications they kept coming up with to make them interesting to the public.  Regina was only second to Eureka when it came to a flow of new gimmicks.  Please note that I say that most respectfully.  The Regina stick vac statyed basically the same, except for the model with power head., and chankges to the straight suction nozzle always kept shoppers thinking they were a little different than the last.  Did you ever form an opinion as to what percentage of the people your shop served had the Regina stick as their only vacuum?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only real competitors Regina sticks had were Hoover and Shetland.  Right?  Hoover sticks used the "clean air" method but the Shetland stick also used the old fashioned fan in air stream. 

Venson

Hi Venson,the average repair bill on the regina broom in the early 70s was 12 to 15 dollars. Being the repair person Dad tried to keep me away from the over the counter customers. My opinion  is that the broom was used as an quick pick up every day driver, I would think that reginas main competition was the the eureka broom,always liked that broom,bagged,nice cleaning head,suction motor at the top even had a filter to protect the motor,6 bags and 3 filters were 89 cents,man am i getting old.The hoover brooms were not selling for us very well,The big prices at the shops was 29.95 and the bomb at 39.95.I still wish i never got rid of the everybodys pump broom,it's now a collectors item. It makes me sick how much stuff we threw away that are now worth big money .Shetland lewyt along with GE,also made brooms.But Regina dominated the sweeper market.Then along came the HOKY, and another phenom was born.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #33   Mar 28, 2008 12:12 pm
mole wrote:
But Regina dominated the sweeper market.Then along came the HOKY, and another phenom was born.

MOLE

In large part because they were so pervasive and there was one for every consumer's budget: From $20 to $100.  Even S&H green stamps carried the Regina brooms. 

Ahh yes, the hoky on a stick.  I appreciate these more in old age.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 24 - 33 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42