Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson DC23
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm
The launch of the DC23 from the Canadian website is up.

Dyson DC23
Replies: 1 - 68 of 68View as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Dyson DC23
Reply #1   Mar 20, 2008 10:35 pm
Interesting that this version doesn't have the DDM, or at least isn't advertised as such.  Looking at the picture, I sure hope the US DC23 won't be just a slightly reworked version of the 21 (read: DC21 with Level 3 and larger pricetag).  The US machine had better have the DDM and a DIFFERENT power nozzle as well.  Otherwise I'm going to be disappointed as this was the machine I was planning to buy in the future.  If this is the case I'll be purchasing a DC24 or 25 instead.

It's not that the DC21 isn't a bad machine, it isn't by any stretch of the imagination, I've had mine for a year and it is a fantastic performer.  The power nozzle is one of the best I've used.  I would just like to see something 100% NEW here as Dyson has always done in the past.  Innovation is what has set them apart from the competition and continues to do so.  If there's no innovation (instead just reworking existing designs), they're just another "me too" company and that's what I don't want to see Dyson become. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

-MH
This message was modified Mar 20, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm
PIc (enlarged) off Dyson Canada web site:  The Dyson DC23 uses the DC21 Stowaways nozzle and maybe the wand too.  Bummer.        DIB

This message was modified Mar 26, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #3   Mar 20, 2008 11:55 pm
So...Dyson Animal models are silver now?
Motorhead

Reply #4   Mar 21, 2008 12:04 am
Hi DIB,

I compared the picture you posted with the pictures of my DC21 I have on my hard drive, and it appears the DC23's wand is longer than the 21's in the collapsed position.
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #5   Mar 30, 2008 6:12 pm
Low profile Contact Head™ tool

Picture of the new 'Low profile contact head' on the DC23 (UK).  To me it's a cross between the new 'flat out' tool and using the original floor tool that came with the DC05 (see below!)

Dyson-designed floor tool Flat Out™ tool

Below is a picture of the new 'mini turbo head'.

Mini turbine head

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #6   Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm
DC18 wrote:
Low profile Contact Head™ tool

Picture of the new 'Low profile contact head' on the DC23 (UK).  To me it's a cross between the new 'flat out' tool and using the original floor tool that came with the DC05 (see below!)

Dyson-designed floor tool Flat Out™ tool

Below is a picture of the new 'mini turbo head'.

Mini turbine head

DC18

DC18,

Yes, the combo tool looks to be build on the flat out tool (keeping costs down).  DC, I have the old combo floor tool as pictured but when I use it on my carpet with dog hair it does not work (pick up).  Do folks in the UK actually use straight suction tool like these combos?  Thanks.        DIB

This message was modified Mar 31, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #7   Apr 1, 2008 7:44 am
I like it in part because it does not have the old fashion bare floor brushe configuration.  A waste of time and money.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #8   Apr 1, 2008 10:58 am

With all the levers, step on buttons (red) I assumed this was indeed an updated brush/carpet floor tool which replaces the much older combo brush/carpet tool.        DIB

DC18

Reply #9   Apr 3, 2008 5:23 pm
Hi DIB

Yes I believe people (well I know people that do) do use straight suction tools that are supplied with there Dyson canisters or other makes in the UK on carpets and hard floors.  I always tell people that for carpet (especially med pile and thinker) it is best to use an upright vacuum or a canister\cylinder that uses a motorised brush head.  I don't find the air driven ones to be very effective.  Some people you just can't tell them any different and they think the straight suction tools do the job!  Some think the brushes are for carpet and you lift them up for hard floors (I've seen it in person!).  How wrong is that!?

The new 'flat out' tool looks like it is only made for carpet not hard floors. 

As for the new 'Low profile contact head' that does have brushes that are lowered (see red foot pedels on picture) for hard floor and raised for carpet.  They are not as noticable as previous Dyson flor tools.  The brushes are shorter in height!

DC18

This message was modified Apr 3, 2008 by DC18
iMacDaddy

Reply #10   Apr 15, 2008 11:38 pm
It looks like the DC23 is gearing up for a US launch now. It is already appearing on several online retailers, and is priced at $749. It is not yet known whether or not it has the dyson brushless motor, but at that price, I would certainly expect it. Details include the use of Level 3 Root Cyclone (not Core Separation as dubbed in foreign markets), exclusive Contact Head floor tool, hard floor tool, motorized floor nozzle, stair hugging design, and wand height adjustment.

http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=295763&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Appliances&cm_pla=Dyson&cm_ite=Dyson-Vacuums-295763&cid=F33F76CA2FC357F571651EC09BBCF3B9

Additional Comment: I really hope this model has DDM.; note how the American DC23 Motorhead model is more expensive ($749 in USDM) than the Canadian model in their currency at $649 (which with equally priced products is usually the other way around because of current currency exchange rates)
This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by iMacDaddy
bucks03

Reply #11   Apr 16, 2008 7:38 am
Yes in UK we do use straight suction floor head on the carpets. It is very common practise here with users who have a whole full house with carpeting but just use the suction of head of their cylinders.  There was no education years ago to show people that a rotating brush head was better for carpets.   I myself use to use cyclinder machine swith the floor head and just stright suction to clean my carpets.  I also had a Dyson DC05 which I used like this for a year.

I much prefer my Dyson DC04 with strong suction and rotating brush.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Apr 16, 2008 8:59 am
Any predictions on the likely sales venue for the DC23?  Big box stores.  On-line?  Independents?

All the above?  $700 plus is a steep price tag for a cann even with DDM and power nozzle, especially in a big box retail venue.  It would be a first in a long time.  Lux tried it years ago and it flopped. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #13   Apr 16, 2008 2:50 pm
Dyson UK must of sold off enough of their older cannister inventory (my guess) and is now supporting the DC22/23 on their website.  Dyson.co.uk        DIB
This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #14   Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Any predictions on the likely sales venue for the DC23?  Big box stores.  On-line?  Independents?

All the above?  $700 plus is a steep price tag for a cann even with DDM and power nozzle, especially in a big box retail venue.  It would be a first in a long time.  Lux tried it years ago and it flopped. 

Carmine D.

$700ish is a lot of money.        DIB

DC18

Reply #15   Apr 16, 2008 5:59 pm
The 360 degree rotation of the DC23, DC24 and DC25 are on the UK Dyson web now with zoom in and out function, other models like the DC18 slim have been done too.  For some reason the DC22 has been left!

DC18

This message was modified Apr 18, 2008 by DC18
Motorhead

Reply #16   Apr 16, 2008 10:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

The DC23 will likely be independent-only, due to the price and the DDM, the advantages of which will have to be clearly presented to the consumer in order for him/her to make the purchase.  Good, effective demonstrations are something big-box retailers cannot do.  It has been proven to me time and time again whenever I visit one.

-MH
This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #17   Apr 17, 2008 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
The DC23 will likely be independent-only, due to the price and the DDM, the advantages of which will have to be clearly presented to the consumer in order for him/her to make the purchase.  Good, effective demonstrations are something big-box retailers cannot do.  It has been proven to me time and time again whenever I visit one.

-MH

Finally, a dealer only dyson!  I have to wonder now just how successful Mr. Dyson will be in getting these dyson vacuums into the vacuum indies.  And if Mr. Dyson is, how successful will these indies be in selling these new dyson canisters?  Many of these targeted dyson dealers will be anxiously awaiting the new USA Miele bagless vacuums and bagged uprights. 

This is not the best time for the USA economy [and worldwide, including Japan].  Most economists are saying it's the worse in several decades and probably won't improve for the foreseeable future. 

Not the best time to launch a $700 plus esoteric vacuum sold exclusively through dyson authorized vacuum dealers.   Maybe dyson will offer some kind of promotions to its dealers?  Buy the DC23 and get a free DC 15, 16, 17, and/or 18.  Who knows. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #18   Apr 17, 2008 11:29 am
I'm not sure WHY indie dealers would respond well to Dyson after the little amount of respect, loyalty, profit margin etc. historically given them by the company....
Trilobite

Reply #19   Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Wait a minute, somebody is jumping the gun!

There is no evidence at all, that says any of the current range of Dyson cleaners, on sale in USA or Europe, are fitted with the Dyson Digital Motor!

As far as I am aware, only the Japanese market had such motors.

The DDM is supposed to generate one third more suction than an ordinary motor, so a 200 air Watt ordinary motor machine should be nearer 300 air Watts if the DDM is present.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Apr 17, 2008 6:52 pm
Hello Trilobite:

I never said it did.  My point is the price tag is high regardless of what it has.  And at the high price it would be a difficult sales venue at the big box retailers, dyson's usual sales market.

My sense is Mr. Dyson wants to test market the DDM DC23 in Japan first.  See what all the glitches may be.  The Japanese consumers are much more forgiving than the US.  Then polish it up/over and launch in the USA.  After the DC11 canister in 2004, I think he learned a lesson about US consumers.   He is still shell shocked.  

This is not the best time for a $700 plus dyson canister in the USA unless it's twice as good as the competition without any wiggle room for the slightest doubt.   The only proof postive to support this fact is that the indy vacuum dealers have to sell it with their full faith and confidence.  I don't think that's going to happen.  Although they [indy dealers] can certainly quote the latest CR results for dyson reliability to help make their case.  If they are so inclined.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
iMacDaddy

Reply #21   Apr 18, 2008 12:02 am
I spoke with one of the Dyson phone operators today, and she said that this model is going to be sold through only independent vacuum shops, in addition to up-market online retailers like the one I hyperlinked a fews posts back. From the information she had, she saw no signs of a DDM being featured in the DC23.
This message was modified Apr 18, 2008 by iMacDaddy
DysonInventsBig

Reply #22   Apr 20, 2008 6:34 pm

iMacDaddy:  Thanks for the call to Dyson and the post.

Anyone:  I myself do not care for the DC21 ball/power head due to its heavy weight and the bulky and somewhat heavy connector fitting at the end of the wand.  The DC23 Canada uses the DC21’s power nozzle on the DC23, it will probably be the same for the U.S., but I hope not.  I must admit I do compare my DC05 in weight to the subsequent Dyson canisters.  I’ve posted these weights before but here they are again, the combined weights for the hose, wand and power nozzle on; DC05 - 5.6lbs. vs. DC21 – 8.6lbs.  Three pounds is a lot of additional weight.  In addition the DC05's wand can separate from the hose where the DC21 and presumably the DC22/23 cannot.  Am I the only one who thinks separating the hose from the wand is what the general public wants and expects?        DIB

This message was modified Apr 22, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Reply #23   Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm
Hi DIB

I believe you can take the hose of the telescope wand on the DC21, DC22 and DC23.  The tools then fit straight onto the hose end!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Apr 21, 2008 5:54 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi DIB

I believe you can take the hose of the telescope wand on the DC21, DC22 and DC23.  The tools then fit straight onto the hose end!

DC18

Hey DC,

For sure the straight suction models had the ability to detach the hose from the wand.  But the photos on the Japanese DDM DC22 Motorhead showed the wand and hose unable to disconnect, just like the DC21 Stowaway.  I for one dislike immensely my Stowaway’s single piece hose and wand.        DIB

DC18

Reply #25   Apr 21, 2008 5:58 pm
Sorry DIB I forgot the DC21 (same in the UK) doesn't have this due to the motorhead powered nozzle!  Also our DC23 in the UK is just suction with air driven power nozzles not motor driven hence you can remove the hose and wand.  I forgot the US version of the DC23 is power driven!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #26   Apr 21, 2008 7:42 pm
DC18 wrote:
Sorry DIB I forgot the DC21 (same in the UK) doesn't have this due to the motorhead powered nozzle!  Also our DC23 in the UK is just suction with air driven power nozzles not motor driven hence you can remove the hose and wand.  I forgot the US version of the DC23 is power driven!

DC18

No sorry's necessary.  Forgetting is easy to do, just ask me.         DIB
This message was modified Apr 21, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

mole

Reply #27   Apr 21, 2008 9:05 pm
You 3 , Technologists have the greatest amount of the most useless knowledge of any one I know,

Could any of you please explain to the forum what any of this technobabble means to the average person.

MOLE
Motorhead

Reply #28   Apr 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Hi everyone,

Heard more on the DC23 today.  I called my local Dyson dealer to inquire about them and he said he had just received a shipment of DC23s last Friday.  Unfortunately, the US version does not have the digital motor, though he did mention that the motor is different than the DC21.  It does have Core separation (though the final stage is not in a series like I thought before; the cyclones are in parallel like the other models), and the telescoping wand (which does disconnect from the hose; it is worth noting that this is a current change in the production run and the first 10,000 or so do not disconnect as they use DC21 wand assemblies) is multiple-position.  The Motorhead is also slightly different from the DC21's version, with a bumper in the front.

But what a letdown.  These features, while an improvement over the DC21, do not justify the hefty $800 pricetag; if this machine was priced along the lines of the DC17 it would make much more sense.  If I'm going to pay upwards of $600 for a vacuum, it had better have one feature that stands out from the competition (in this case it *would have been* the brushless DDM).  Best of luck to the dealers trying to sell these possible white elephants at $800, I think the only way they will be able to is if they lower the price drastically (but still enough to recoup their initial investment) to around $600 or so.  Really, this suggested retail is all about profits; as I was told these are $400 wholesale.  How much $#%* money does a dealer need to make on a single machine these days!?

May as well get a brushless Rainbow...

-MH
This message was modified Apr 22, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Motorhead,

Many thanks.  I read and listen to all things Dyson especially the hard to come by stuff.  Keep the information coming.        DIB

dusty

Reply #30   Apr 23, 2008 5:30 pm
Motorhead wrote:

But what a letdown.  These features, while an improvement over the DC21, do not justify the hefty $800 pricetag; if this machine was priced along the lines of the DC17 it would make much more sense.  If I'm going to pay upwards of $600 for a vacuum, it had better have one feature that stands out from the competition (in this case it *would have been* the brushless DDM).  Best of luck to the dealers trying to sell these possible white elephants at $800, I think the only way they will be able to is if they lower the price drastically (but still enough to recoup their initial investment) to around $600 or so.  Really, this suggested retail is all about profits; as I was told these are $400 wholesale.  How much $#%* money does a dealer need to make on a single machine these days!?

May as well get a brushless Rainbow...

-MH

Hi Motorhead,

We've had the DC23's in stock for a couple weeks now selling at $649 for the motorhead and $749 for the motorhead animal. The DC21 which is $599 hasn't moved since we received the new product.  It's been no problem selling up and all though we've been trying to sell down to DC21's (to reduce inventory) we've yet to have anyone save the $50 bucks and go that route.  Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #31   Apr 24, 2008 7:34 am
dusty wrote:
Hi Motorhead,

We've had the DC23's in stock for a couple weeks now selling at $649 for the motorhead and $749 for the motorhead animal. The DC21 which is $599 hasn't moved since we received the new product.  It's been no problem selling up and all though we've been trying to sell down to DC21's (to reduce inventory) we've yet to have anyone save the $50 bucks and go that route.  Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

Since the DC23 appears to be a dealer dyson, you have a captured market with no big box competition.  Helps to sell to canister minded dyson fans.  So what do you do with the DC21?  Mark down? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #32   Apr 24, 2008 8:37 am
Could any of you please justify the cost of this machine,Are the customers getting their moneys worth?. Does it really offer any advantages over machines that cost half the price?Other than the cyclone set up that has really nothing to do with anything,It looks like the attachments are wessel-werks, not bad.For the 749.99 price there are much better units out there.Dyson should just stop embarrising themselves by thinking the consumer just going to swallow this just because Dyson says they should.

The only thing that these prices are doing is forceing people to look elsewhere.I got news for you guys it's going to backfire on them.It already has.

And now they are turning back to the indys again,The old saying goes once bitten twice shy........

regards

MOLE

dusty

Reply #33   Apr 24, 2008 9:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Since the DC23 appears to be a dealer dyson, you have a captured market with no big box competition.  Helps to sell to canister minded dyson fans.  So what do you do with the DC21?  Mark down? 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

The DC23 isn't a dealer exclusive in Canada and can be bought at most department stores.  The DC21's will sell, we'll probably toss in and extra attachment to the package to help them out but after that we'll be mainly DC23's for inventory and one or two DC21's in case someone wants one.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #34   Apr 25, 2008 7:32 am
mole wrote:
Could any of you please justify the cost of this machine,Are the customers getting their moneys worth?. Does it really offer any advantages over machines that cost half the price?Other than the cyclone set up that has really nothing to do with anything,It looks like the attachments are wessel-werks, not bad.For the 749.99 price there are much better units out there.Dyson should just stop embarrising themselves by thinking the consumer just going to swallow this just because Dyson says they should.

The only thing that these prices are doing is forceing people to look elsewhere.I got news for you guys it's going to backfire on them.It already has.

And now they are turning back to the indys again,The old saying goes once bitten twice shy........

regards

MOLE

Dyson customers are a strange bunch...they know what they want and price does not seem to phase them in the least.  How else do you explain paying $30-$50 for "Genuine" Dyson attachments?

Dusty

Mole:

Dusty provided the best answer to your question I've heard and read.  I posted for you.  Several times in the past I asked dyson retailers if buyers ever ask about the Consumer Reports ratings.  Most big box retailers tell me they are not allowed to quote CR.  They tell me that dyson buyers don't care what CR reports about dysons.  The word of mouth overwhelms the CR assessments.  Now dyson has the best of both worlds.  With the dyson reliability ratings [so far] showing well, dyson buyers can say, I told you so.  At least for now.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 25, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #35   Apr 26, 2008 6:53 am
Hi Carmine. You too H.S., I am going to let it out of the bag,the only thing the customer cares about is the price, if it breaks under warranty and they will the only redeeming factor is that the local dealer will handle the issues,you and i both know that dyson and hoover and some others have the shop owners trapped because of the contractual agreements,the big box stores make the sales and then use us as patsies for warranty work. I would say that most indys put competitive products on the back burner,after dealing with most EURO companies they could care less about their dealer network other than the ocaisional walk through by the regional manager which usually costs us lunch and coffee. The talk is the usual chit chat about the other stores the hardware stores that sell 5 to your 1 of products,these guys really make you feel good and then try and give you expert advice about how to run your business[business plans] which more than likely work only in favor for them not you,

Though the experience gained over the years i take these people with a grain of salt, not all i dislike but most.

The best line ever is i said to a few of these manufactures reps, If you think your so smart how come your still working[and broke] , He did not take to kindly to that and left and quit.

Carmine, I cannot sell dyson and tell my customers that we are doing them a favor,the machine is absolutely not worth the money,and most LEGIT dealers tell the customers please dont buy it from me,i really dont need the headaches down the road,it's also nice to see the customer come back later down the road and says i should have listened to you,

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #36   Apr 26, 2008 7:35 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine. You too H.S., I am going to let it out of the bag,the only thing the customer cares about is the price, if it breaks under warranty and they will the only redeeming factor is that the local dealer will handle the issues,you and i both know that dyson and hoover and some others have the shop owners trapped because of the contractual agreements,the big box stores make the sales and then use us as patsies for warranty work. I would say that most indys put competitive products on the back burner,after dealing with most EURO companies they could care less about their dealer network other than the ocaisional walk through by the regional manager which usually costs us lunch and coffee. The talk is the usual chit chat about the other stores the hardware stores that sell 5 to your 1 of products,these guys really make you feel good and then try and give you expert advice about how to run your business[business plans] which more than likely work only in favor for them not you,

Though the experience gained over the years i take these people with a grain of salt, not all i dislike but most.

The best line ever is i said to a few of these manufactures reps, If you think your so smart how come your still working[and broke] , He did not take to kindly to that and left and quit.

Carmine, I cannot sell dyson and tell my customers that we are doing them a favor,the machine is absolutely not worth the money,and most LEGIT dealers tell the customers please dont buy it from me,i really dont need the headaches down the road,it's also nice to see the customer come back later down the road and says i should have listened to you,

MOLE

Mole: I agree.  With everything.  I would not sell particular vacuum brands too.  Did okay for 40 plus years.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #37   Apr 26, 2008 7:49 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Mole,

Why do so many buy Dyson if all they care about is price.  It is one of the most expensive.  Why would anyone buy a $700 electric broom (Oreck)?

CarmineD

Reply #38   Apr 26, 2008 8:39 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Mole,

Why do so many buy Dyson if all they care about is price.  It is one of the most expensive.  Why would anyone buy a $700 electric broom (Oreck)?

I can't answer the first authoritatively but a famous line from BT Barnum comes to mind.

The last is an easy one, HS.  Even I know the answer to it.  Because it [Oreck electric broom that cleans and grooms equal to a full sized upright] comes with a 21 year guaranty and free maintenance every year for life.  How many brooms do you still own and use after 21 years?  Think about how many one purchases in a lifetime.  What is the total cost?  Do they come with free maintenance for life and a 21 year guaranty?

At the turn of the 20th century, carpet sweepers were sold by comparing them to the cost of brooms.  A broom cost 25-50 cents.  A carpet sweeper usually from $1-$4 depending on the type of wood used.  Carpet sweepers according to the claims lasted indefinitely.  As opposed to brooms that wore out.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 26, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #39   Apr 26, 2008 9:24 am
Hi H.S.,Oreck is an upright just like dysons dc18, Orecks have price ranges from 200.00 up,unlike dyson whos 300 plus, Carmine is correct the oreck cleans as well as any other upright out there.Also have a 40 + year reputation behind them,Also it's made in the U.S.A. one of the few left,but thats another story for later on.

If the customer really needs and upright for their application and are shopping oreck against dyson most places that sell both will sell the oreck,and keep the jobs in this country,B.T.W. central vacuum systems cost less than a DYSON or oreck....................

mole

CarmineD

Reply #40   Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
mole wrote:
Hi H.S.,

If the customer really needs an upright for their application and are shopping oreck against dyson most places that sell both will sell the oreck,and keep the jobs in this country,

mole

Mole:

Sorry folks to get off subject.  And perhaps it's not off subject.  But is the subject.  Mole's observation about the vacuum industry, especially independents, is honest.  The indy dealers [thousands nationwide] sell Oreck-s in large part because they are USA made and have 45 plus years of history and sales success.  Big box retailers sell the foreign competition.  The Oreck is and always has been a top tier contender lasting a lifetime.  The big box retailers sell disposables. 

Getting back to dyson: Perhaps the reason dyson loses market share every year in it's own country of origin, the UK, is because the UK consumers disapprove of James Dyson's decision to out source jobs to foreign contractors in Malaysia.  Maybe they believe it is a socially irresponsible business decision.  Predicated on profit motives.  

Maybe that's the reason for Mr. Dyson promoting an Engineering school in the UK.  A way to give back to the UK [and try to gain back market share from the UK consumers who now shun dyson products].  Something to ponder?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 27, 2008 by CarmineD
bucks03

Reply #41   May 3, 2008 9:50 am
I said I hated the plastic used on the new Dyson wands on the DC22 and DC23 cios they are not high quality steel or the alluminium they used to use on the other teloescopic models.  Though I never liked the alluminium.  The Dyson Australia says the following. about it.

NEW! Lightweight Telescopic Wand
Glass fibre composite wand for extra strength and lightness

Why cant the UK site or brochure be more informative.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #42   Jun 25, 2008 9:25 am
BestVacuum.com has Dyson's on sale and is showing the DC23 for sale too - $700 for a better filtering DC21?.  Here.
This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #43   Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm
DIB:

I'll make the same observation [not theory] about the dysons from Bestvacuum.com as bestbuys.com.  ALL the dysons, including the latest and greatest DC24 and 25, are discounted from MSRP.  Many substantially.  Except one:  The least:  DC16 still $149.  There is even a disclaimer excluding the DC16 for discounts from MSRP.   Did you see it?  Interesting?  Absurd?  Laughable?  All the above?  I'll go with all the above.  iMacDaddy nailed it right.  Dyson is scrubbing the DC16.  Gave up on improving the run time. 

Two different sites on two different days and same observation to make.  All dysons are discounted from MSRP but one.  Why?  It's the worse of the dysons.  But the DC16 is listed at $149.  The original and full MSRP.  Why? 

Try this for an answer.  Dyson USA is discounting the DC16 by $100 with the sale of any new dyson.  Put the word out to retailers not to discount the DC16.  How long will it be until the few retailers stuck with these do the same as dyson.  Or better?  They have to do something to compete with dyson and get rid of these.  They are not going to increase in run time based on increased time sitting on the shelves.  The longer these lay unsold, the more difficult they are to sell.  Especially with the run time specified and the star ratings of the users.

Unless dyson agreed with the retailers to take all these back for credit?  Like the DC11.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #44   Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I'll make the same observation [not theory] about the dysons from Bestvacuum.com as bestbuys.com.  ALL the dysons, including the latest and greatest DC24 and 25, are discounted from MSRP.  Many substantially.

All dysons are discounted from MSRP but one.  Why?  It's the worse of the dysons.  But the DC16 is listed at $149.  The original and full MSRP.

I will make the same observation regarding any brand that is sold thru box stores, not just Dyson.  A look at Amazon.com finds every Hoover they carry deeply discounted off the MSRP. Same applies to Bissell.  If your argument is that they don't command the same pricing at Dyson then check www.allergybegone.com and find all the Electrolux product discounted to death.   As far as the DC16 not being reduced at those two websites, that is indeed true but a little searching finds Best Buy and many other retailers discounting the product. If deep discounts sounded the death bell for a brand of vacuums we'd all be using brooms and dustpans to clean with.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jun 26, 2008 7:12 am
dusty wrote:
I will make the same observation regarding any brand that is sold thru box stores, not just Dyson.  A look at Amazon.com finds every Hoover they carry deeply discounted off the MSRP. Same applies to Bissell.  If your argument is that they don't command the same pricing at Dyson then check www.allergybegone.com and find all the Electrolux product discounted to death.   As far as the DC16 not being reduced at those two websites, that is indeed true but a little searching finds Best Buy and many other retailers discounting the product. If deep discounts sounded the death bell for a brand of vacuums we'd all be using brooms and dustpans to clean with.

Dusty

Thank you Dusty for using observation and not theory.  Here's the crux of the matter.  All the dyson dealers in the past here bragged of dyson's MAP and price supports for product MSRP.  You too.  MOLE and I said it wouldn't last.  All you need do is check the past vacuum history for big box retailers.  In the big box venue, these retailers would force dyson to drop prices and like it.  Or else.  You and all the dyson fans argued that it would never happen with dyson.  NEVER.  Maybe on the old discontinued models [MAYBE] but not the new dyson stuff.  WRONG.   Discounts on everything dyson, new and old.   Except the DC16 which will probably get scrubbed by dyson in the USA after they are all given away. 

Dyson fans flip flop now and put dyson in the same category as all the big box vacuums.  Hello!  Thank you!  Flip flop, flip flop when will it stop?  You're late to the right side of the debate.  MOLE and I told you this years ago.  Didn't listen.  Rookies!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #46   Jun 26, 2008 9:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you Dusty for using observation and not theory.  Here's the crux of the matter.  All the dyson dealers in the past here bragged of dyson's MAP and price supports for product MSRP.  You too.  MOLE and I said it wouldn't last.  All you need do is check the past vacuum history for big box retailers.  In the big box venue, these retailers would force dyson to drop prices and like it.  Or else.  You and all the dyson fans argued that it would never happen with dyson.  NEVER.  Maybe on the old discontinued models [MAYBE] but not the new dyson stuff.  WRONG.   Discounts on everything dyson, new and old.   Except the DC16 which will probably get scrubbed by dyson in the USA after they are all given away. 

Dyson fans flip flop now and put dyson in the same category as all the big box vacuums.  Hello!  Thank you!  Flip flop, flip flop when will it stop?  You're late to the right side of the debate.  MOLE and I told you this years ago.  Didn't listen.  Rookies!

Carmine D.

I have never thought of Dyson as anything more than a box store vacuum which is why we held off so long before bringing them in.  When a vac is sold nationally in a box store environment you have to expect that price will not hold.  I will point out however that for the 3 years Dyson has been in Canada pricing has stayed at MSRP for the most part.  I have never bragged about Dysons MSRP or said price will never drop, I haven't been here long enough to get into those discussions. I will say the high price has been good for our industry because the customer now relates to a better vacuum costing $500-$700. It's much easier to sell Riccar, Miele etc when people have been inundated with advertising showing high price points than when they come in thinking a great quality vacuum is a $150 Dirt Devil.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #47   Jun 26, 2008 6:14 pm
Hello Dusty:

I could not have written your post better myself.  I agree with everything you said about dyson being just another big box seller subject to all the pricing shananigans of the big box store models.

I apologize to you for grouping you in with all the other dyson dealers who spouted the drivel that dyson was different.  You obviously do not hold that position.  My compliments.

Dyson has done more to revitalize the vacuum industry in the USA by accident than all the other vacuum makers have done on purpose in the last 50 years.  I've said this many times.  But it's worth repeating for you who may not have read it before and others who have.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 26, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #48   Jul 9, 2008 12:55 am

Hi Dusty,

I was unaware the DC23’s cyclones were much like the DC17’s.  I assumed the DC23 and the DC22 used the same cyclone set up (1 intermediate cyclone).        DIB

Netherlands DC23: http://www.dyson.nl/media/streaming.asp?menu=&video=No%20Loss%20of%20Suction%20-%202008&id=13

DC22:  http://www.viddler.com/explore/InventBig/videos/34/?secreturl=95217104

This message was modified Jul 9, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Reply #49   Jul 9, 2008 4:54 pm
Hi DIB

THats interesting to know, I though the DC22 and DC23 had the same cyclone and core technology, but looking at your posting they don't.  What are the advantages between the 2?  I would think they both have about the same number of small cyclones on the top of the bin.  Will 2 intermediate cyclones filter any better than one big one!?

DC18

mole

Reply #50   Aug 3, 2008 8:37 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

IS THE AIRBLADE STILL AROUND? JUST WHAT THE WORLD NEEDED A HIGH TECH HAND DRYER, HOWS THE NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE NOSE CLIPPERS COMING.?, I HEAR IT USES A DYSON DDM MOTOR

HOWS DYSONS CANADA OPERATIONS GOING,ARE THE CANADIANS FED UP WITH YOUR B.S. YET?.

SELL,SELL,SELL.

ARE THE DYSON REVIEWS IN ENGLISH OR FRENCH IN CANADA?L@@sers

mole
HARDSELL

Reply #51   Aug 3, 2008 8:51 am
mole wrote:
IS THE AIRBLADE STILL AROUND? JUST WHAT THE WORLD NEEDED A HIGH TECH HAND DRYER, HOWS THE NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE NOSE CLIPPERS COMING.?, I HEAR IT USES A DYSON DDM MOTOR

HOWS DYSONS CANADA OPERATIONS GOING,ARE THE CANADIANS FED UP WITH YOUR B.S. YET?.

SELL,SELL,SELL.

mole

mole,

Are you in the bottle this early? 

mole

Reply #52   Aug 3, 2008 8:58 am
Hi H.S. nice to hear from you, the only bottle i hit is the NITROUS BOTTLE BUTTON.

did you put the blower on your skate board yet?

Have you found a vacuum that you understand how to use yet??????????????

MOLE
dusty

Reply #53   Aug 3, 2008 11:34 am
mole wrote:

SELL,SELL,SELL.

mole

Geez, who whizzed in your corn flakes this morning? One would think that you are actually missing all the Dyson banter by the way you hit the boards today.  Could it be you're a closet Dyson fan and this is an attempt to keep the Dyson chatter alive and well?  Be careful mole...James will be putting you on his Christmas card list if you keep this up :-)

Dusty
mole

Reply #54   Aug 4, 2008 9:20 am
AND AFTER 576900,PROTOTYPES WE STILL CANT GET IT RIGHT.THE SHAME OF IT ALL. BUT HEY I GOT MY DESIGN SCHOOL,

BUT,BUT,BUT THE BAG WAS HOPELESSLY CLOGGED,AND LETS SEE NOW I STEPPED UP THE CLEANING PERFORMANCE THANKS TO THE GUYS THAT BUILD THE BRUSH ROLL FOR US,NOW THE FILTRATION SYSTEM CANT KEEP UP WITH IT,HHHMMM HOW AM I GOING TO GET OUT OF THIS ONE,I KNOW IM GOING TO INVENT A WASHING MACHINE.......................

REGARDS

MOLE

P.S. i really looking forward to the christmas gift..........

Motorhead

Reply #55   Aug 4, 2008 5:05 pm
mole wrote:
Hi H.S. nice to hear from you, the only bottle i hit is the NITROUS BOTTLE BUTTON.

did you put the blower on your skate board yet?

Have you found a vacuum that you understand how to use yet??????????????

MOLE

THAT'S something else that's wrong with you!  It's not poppers, it's poison.  You shouldn't be snorting nitrous much less drinking it. 
This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by Motorhead
mole

Reply #56   Aug 6, 2008 7:23 am
Hi Bonehead.

I was talking car talk with H.S.

Do you really think i would promote snorting or popping NITROUS OXIDE, on the forum, Nitrous is a performance enhancer in racing engines,[you might want to study about it and how it works],

This is not the medical grade nitrous that your dentist uses.

B.T.W. did you sell many dc07's today.................

snicker.................

Sincerely

MOLE
HARDSELL

Reply #57   Aug 6, 2008 9:07 am
mole wrote:
Hi Bonehead.

I was talking car talk with H.S.

Do you really think i would promote snorting or popping NITROUS OXIDE, on the forum, Nitrous is a performance enhancer in racing engines,[you might want to study about it and how it works],

This is not the medical grade nitrous that your dentist uses.

B.T.W. did you sell many dc07's today.................

snicker.................

Sincerely

MOLE

Popcorn +  Beer 2 = Drunk Walk
mole

Reply #58   Aug 10, 2008 2:42 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Popcorn +  Beer 2 = Drunk Walk

H.S. is that you after a 18 holes of golf?

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #59   Feb 24, 2011 7:29 pm
Less than 3 years old and it appears now to become part of dyson vacuum history.  SEARS is selling dyson's DC23 Motorhead, once the top of the line dyson cann with an MSRP of $599, for $299.  That's a whopping 50 percent off MSRP. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #60   Feb 26, 2011 9:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Less than 3 years old and it appears now to become part of dyson vacuum history.  SEARS is selling dyson's DC23 Motorhead, once the top of the line dyson cann with an MSRP of $599, for $299.  That's a whopping 50 percent off MSRP. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine.

Dont worry there will be plenty left over for years to come,might want to buy a few for parts, You know about closeouts and warehouse reduction FIRE sales?

We have been waiting for DYSON to dominate the canister market since the dc-11,You know the ones that sold on E-BAY for 39.95.

Where have all the dyson troops went to.Maybe working for TACO-BELL.

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #61   Feb 26, 2011 1:54 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine.

Dont worry there will be plenty left over for years to come,might want to buy a few for parts, You know about closeouts and warehouse reduction FIRE sales?

We have been waiting for DYSON to dominate the canister market since the dc-11,You know the ones that sold on E-BAY for 39.95.

Where have all the dyson troops went to.Maybe working for TACO-BELL.

regards

MOLE

Hello Jimmy the OT:

You know the saying:  It's now where you start out the race that matters, but where you finish.  When it comes to canns, dyson is finished in most markets except maybe in the UK and Japan.  Started badly with DC11 and went down hill after.  It's hard if not impossible to recover from a failed product launch once you have a bad track record. 

Carmine D.

iMacDaddy

Reply #62   Feb 26, 2011 9:57 pm
I think it's rather telling that Dyson is replacing their DC23 Motorhead with the new DC23 Animal that comes with a air-turbine floor head rather than a more proper motorized cleaning head. Those air-turbine nozzles generally do not deep clean or pick up matted down pet hair all that well. Selling the purple Animal version with the turbine head is a complete joke in my eyes. I guess it goes to show you that Dyson really doesn't give a damn about cleaning performance more so than marketing gimmicks.
This message was modified Feb 26, 2011 by iMacDaddy
CarmineD

Reply #63   Feb 27, 2011 7:08 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
I think it's rather telling that Dyson is replacing their DC23 Motorhead with the new DC23 Animal that comes with a air-turbine floor head rather than a more proper motorized cleaning head. Those air-turbine nozzles generally do not deep clean or pick up matted down pet hair all that well. Selling the purple Animal version with the turbine head is a complete joke in my eyes. I guess it goes to show you that Dyson really doesn't give a damn about cleaning performance more so than marketing gimmicks.

Actually to me it's a joke.  The DC23 Turbine Head sells for an MSRP of $399 while most can buy now for $319, with 20 percent off as most retailers discount, and the Motor Head has an MSRP of $599 so with 50 percent off is $299.

I have heard the power nozzles [motor heads] were problematic on the DC23 models and failed within months of purchase.  Just quit running.

Carmine D

vacmanuk

Reply #64   Feb 27, 2011 7:16 am
iMacDaddy wrote:

Actually when tested in the UK the Dyson turbo brush was proved to pick up deep down and pet hair especially. Its just that owners have to go slowly with these brushes compared to the motorized ones.
iMacDaddy

Reply #65   Feb 27, 2011 11:23 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Actually when tested in the UK the Dyson turbo brush was proved to pick up deep down and pet hair especially. Its just that owners have to go slowly with these brushes compared to the motorized ones.

I think that's subjective to regional carpet types. Aren't carpet piles in the UK and elsewhere across the pond considerably lower than the carpets we have here in the United States? I always thought that was the reason turbine nozzles are more popular overseas: because you do not need an electric power brush to clean lower pile European carpets.
CarmineD

Reply #66   Feb 27, 2011 4:43 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Actually to me it's a joke.  The DC23 Turbine Head sells for an MSRP of $399 while most can buy now for $319, with 20 percent off as most retailers discount, and the Motor Head has an MSRP of $599 so with 50 percent off is $299.

I have heard the power nozzles [motor heads] were problematic on the DC23 models and failed within months of purchase.  Just quit running.

Carmine D

Air turbine brush rolls date back to the mid 1950's in the vacuum industry with the very first P/N attachment made by Preco.  At the time the tooth belt driven revolving brush tool was an after market add on attachment for $30-$40 for straight suction tanks and canns which at most had 1/2 to 3/4 horsepower motors.  That translates into about 500-700 watts which was the standard for the time.  As Procare noted in a post here recently Lux came out with the first electric driven brush roll power nozzle in 1957 with the Model AF and SEARS Kenmore copied about a year after.  It is sad that over 50 years later, a company founded by an engineer which prides itself on leading edge technology can't replicate this old technology successfully in a standard current day full size canister.   It's a joke to me on that company.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #67   Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm
iMacDaddy wrote:
I think that's subjective to regional carpet types. Aren't carpet piles in the UK and elsewhere across the pond considerably lower than the carpets we have here in the United States? I always thought that was the reason turbine nozzles are more popular overseas: because you do not need an electric power brush to clean lower pile European carpets.

Turbo nozzles on canisters/cylinders as we call them aren't actually that popular - certainly not on bagged cylinders - more so on Dyson machines of late. Most UK buyers prefer the traditional upright - we have deep pile, velvet, synthetic, Berber and thick wool carpets to clean up- basically because aside from the South of England, most parts in the UK are colder than most.
hooverman

Reply #68   Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm
I have the TurbineHead version & been happy with it, does a nice job on plush carpet.  Even outperformed the XXX Royal Crown Signature Series cyclonic, which was pathetic junk.
Replies: 1 - 68 of 68View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42