Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 59 - 68 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
bucks03

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #59   Feb 18, 2008 3:36 pm
MOLE  

I understand what you are saying but this is not possible with such a small mechanism on the Dyson clutch, I really felt that Dyson should have used Toothed belts on their clutch but I guess that's why they improved on their newer ones like DC15, 18 AND the American model not available here in UK.

HARDSELL

I really have to disagree wih you on a certain thing you said.  The Dyson can fail even if looked after,  I myself have experienced this with my Dyson cyliner cleaner which completely burnt out despite the maintenance. 

The DC04 has had parts break over the years which the plastic seems to become brittle over time as experieced with some other UK Dyson users on the 1993 - 2002 Dysons as the plastic was different as opposed to the 'shiny metallic' ones they use now.

HARDSELL

Reply #60   Feb 18, 2008 7:53 pm
bucks03 wrote:

HARDSELL

I really have to disagree wih you on a certain thing you said.  The Dyson can fail even if looked after,  I myself have experienced this with my Dyson cyliner cleaner which completely burnt out despite the maintenance. 

The DC04 has had parts break over the years which the plastic seems to become brittle over time as experieced with some other UK Dyson users on the 1993 - 2002 Dysons as the plastic was different as opposed to the 'shiny metallic' ones they use now.

Please name me one brand that can not and has not failed even under the best of conditions.

How do you think all of these independents have stayed in business over the years.  Certainly not from sales.  And not from Dyson repairs.

Motorhead

Reply #61   Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Please name me one brand that can not and has not failed even under the best of conditions.

How do you think all of these independents have stayed in business over the years.  Certainly not from sales.  And not from Dyson repairs.

Exactly!  Just like the old adage about the car dealerships, they don't make their money on sales...
bucks03

Reply #62   Feb 19, 2008 7:10 am
HARDSELL wrote:
What good is an expensive vac that does not clean as well as the Dyson?   The Dyson can be repaired.  Sub par performance out of the box is not repairable. 

Then again,  a Dyson is not likely to fail unless it is severely abused.  I would like to know a brand that will not fail under severe abuse.

This is incorrect a Dyson can be looked after and still fail, you for one should know Dyson is not fail safe.  Any make appliance can fail if abused but as stated the machine was NOT abused.

HARDSELL

Reply #63   Feb 19, 2008 7:32 am
bucks03 wrote:
This is incorrect a Dyson can be looked after and still fail, you for one should know Dyson is not fail safe.  Any make appliance can fail if abused but as stated the machine was NOT abused.

First, did you read my response just two posts up the page?

How should I know the Dyson is not fail safe?  Three years and no problems with mine

bucks03

Reply #64   Feb 19, 2008 12:16 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
First, did you read my response just two posts up the page?

How should I know the Dyson is not fail safe?  Three years and no problems with mine

3 years isn't exactly a long time now is it?
Airblade

Reply #65   Feb 19, 2008 4:12 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Don't want to get into a Dyson brawl but Shipping a Vacuum off to Buffalo to be repaired should not be a SELLING POINT!!!

There are hundreds of authorized Dyson service centers throughout the U.S., so unless you are located in a remote part of the country, this is not the case.
HARDSELL

Reply #66   Feb 19, 2008 11:48 pm
bucks03 wrote:
3 years isn't exactly a long time now is it?

No, however, most other vacs recommend an annual tune up in addition to bags and belts between tune ups.   Lower maintenance and more cleaning ability in a Dyson.

Now please tell me what brand is bullet proof.

Venson

Reply #67   Feb 20, 2008 3:59 am
HARDSELL wrote:

AirStorm, Patriot and Miracle Mate most likely :)

Venson

bucks03

Reply #68   Feb 20, 2008 7:23 am
HARDSELL wrote:
No, however, most other vacs recommend an annual tune up in addition to bags and belts between tune ups.   Lower maintenance and more cleaning ability in a Dyson.

An annual tune I'm sure would apply to all vacuum cleaners.  I agree that its good a Dyson does not requre bags and belts.  However more cleaning ability does not apply to just the Dyson.

No brand is bullet proof however ,compare Dyson to a Sebo, Miele, Nilfisk the quality can't quite match.  I do think that the quality in the latest Dysons has improved slightly over my 6 year old DC04 but only slightly.

Replies: 59 - 68 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42