Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 5:01 am
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by rjg2
Replies: 38 - 47 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Reply #38   Jun 7, 2008 10:08 pm
Hello DIB:

I infer from your response [more correctly lack thereof] that you still believe your assessment of dyson's shortfall in filtration of the latest dyson models.   

MOLE told us that the dyson claim that its filters didn't clog was a farce.  You [and others who proclaimed how great dyson art] scoffed him and refused to believe.  MOLE said that dyson was perpetrating a myth on the vacuum industry.

Now all new dyson models have the requirement for users to observe/perform regular filter maintenance.  In fact, the dyson waranty is null and void if the user does not follow the rigorous filter maintenance.  Truth now be told, dyson should have included the new filter maintenance schedule on all its dyson models fro the very beginning.  DC07/14 too.   The DC07 filtration is no better than the latest dyson's filtering.  You believed the dyson myth that claimed it was.  You refused to believe the truth:  All vacuum filters clog.  Even dyson.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 7, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jun 7, 2008 10:38 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

If people don’t want to purchase a steerable and pivoting Dyson upright that requires more than normal filter maintenance then they have the choice to purchase a competing steerable and pivoting upright from…  well nobody.        DIB

DIB:

Next to the farcical claim that dysons don't clog, is the claim that a 12 pound lightweight household vacuum needs a huge ball wheel to make it easier to steer and pivot.  It's laughable. 

Fool me once, shame on dyson.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  

American consumers are not fools.  They are very unforgiving despite what you may think.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 7, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #40   Jun 7, 2008 10:47 pm
YOU just have to keep telling the lie often enough and people start thinking its the truth,[neocons like misguided and unregulated propaganda]

dyson ran his vacuum marketing campain no different than the now defunked FANTOM camp.

Now you can take this overpriced, underperforming, overhyped,poor excuse for a cleaning device and sell it back in the good old U.K.[if they let you].

sincerely

THE-MOLE

dusty

Reply #41   Jun 8, 2008 12:23 am
CarmineD wrote:

Back to dysons.  DIB's post about dyson filtration.  The quintessential feature of dysons.  Filtration!  No need for bags that clog.  Right.  Originally, the dyson mantra was:  Never clogs, never loses suction.   With pre-motor filters needing cleaning annually in the DC07/14, save unusual conditions.

The revised mantra: Never loses suction.  [True of all vacuums.] 

DIB says that the latest and greatest dysons [and still most expensive big box store brand] don't measure up to the DC07 for filtration.  Why?  In part, because the pre-motor filters call for cleaning every 3-4-5 months.  Hassle!  Like changing a paper bag plus daily/weekly dirt bin dumping with home air pollution!

Is this the new and improved dyson innvovation we all hear about?  Requiring a cadre of 500 engineers and enormous annual R&D spending? 

Carmine D.

Before anyone labels me a Dyson groupie, let me point out that I'd rather push around a Riccar or a Sebo before a Dyson.  With that said, I like the Dyson product.  When we sell these machines we recommend emptying the container after each use (keeps odor down if you have pets and it doesn't cost anything to empty) and the filters be washed out every 3 months.  If the customer does this the chances of them being unhappy with the machine are virtually nil.  We also suggest vacuuming with their old vacuum one last time and then going over the carpet with their new Dyson.  As you can imagine, most customers are amazed at what they pull out. Now this of course isn't because the Dyson is that much better than their old machine but more the fact that the majority of customers don't change belts, empty bags when needed or have a clue how to maintain the product that they own.  This is where Dyson excels in my opinion.  It's a simple vacuum.  Dump a cannister, wash a filter.  The customer can do that far easier than trying to change belts, match up proper bags when most don't even know what they own or heaven forbid, choose a correct height adjustment for their carpet.  While many machines will outperform Dyson initially, over the course of the year or years the Dyson is easier to maintain and thus the customer remains happier with their vacuum.  I believe simplicity is Dysons innovation.  Keep it simple and people will pay whatever you ask.  I give the nod to Dysons 500 engineers on this one. If nothing else, they certainly beat out Eurekas big innovation....the Spin Duster.

Dusty
This message was modified Jun 8, 2008 by dusty
CarmineD

Reply #42   Jun 8, 2008 8:03 am
Hello Dusty:

Dyson user simplicity is not its forte.  Dumping a dirt bin daily/weekly and washing filters quarterly is not in my opinion a better alternative than changing a paper bag once a month.  Add to the mix that most vacuum users don't have time and you don't have simplicity.  You get complications.  Dyson joins that ignominious list headed by Rainbow for high consumer price and pampering.

Dyson gets my kudos for vacuum colors and clear dirt bin.  People see the vacuums [especially women] and they look like toys with a purpose.  The clear bin gives a sense of work accomplishment by watching the whirling/swirling dust in the bin.  But there are the dyson down sides.  Retail prices, as MOLE indicates, are off the charts for its under performance and added user requirements.   The unsightly dirt bin is just that when you put it away.   Even if you dump.

Do colors and dirt bin take 500 engineers and millions of R&D every year, with impressive looking lab technicians in white coats?  [Does farce enter your mind?].  Is this the dyson innovation that demands such high prices?  Makes me laugh thinking about it.  Some people are suckers and buy into the dyson myth and glitz.  Most don't anymore and the numbers are dwindling. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 8, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #43   Jun 8, 2008 9:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

All vacuum filters clog.  Even dyson.

Carmine D.

A filter that doesn't clog isn't really filtering.  Foam filters just do not clog as quickly as pleated filters like on the Hoovers.
HARDSELL

Reply #44   Jun 8, 2008 9:53 am
CarmineD wrote:
DIB: 

American consumers are not fools.  They are very unforgiving despite what you may think.

Carmine D.

This is true with few exceptions, such as yourself.   Hoover fooled the people during its' last years of operation and some like you supported them.

As we know the public caught on and realized that there was more truth in Dyson and its supporters. 

Hoover failed and you have since chosen another inferior product.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #45   Jun 8, 2008 11:01 am
CarmineD wrote:

I said a few things.

[DIB: Merely re-read your post to discern the question]?

Carmine D.

=========

Carmine,

Here is what I said (put to points)….

1. My neighbor loves her DC07.
  2. I personally think the DC07 high efficiency filtration is the best Dyson currently offers.
  3. It should filter better than Dyson’s newest uprights that are coming too (the DC24/25).
  4. There are some patent pendings from big corporations out of Asia that are copying James’ proven upward cyclone filtration and putting them into their canisters.
  5. These/this type of filtration configuration/s are here to stay.

…any interpretation outside of what I said, would be just that.

Re: DC24

The idea of Dyson sacrificing filtration in order to bring to market - a tiny, steerable and pivoting, 11.6 lb vacuum is what it is.  I, like many Dyson supporters posting here had disappointment over first learning of the monthly cleaning prior to actually seeing this (pre-launch) machine.  Since it launched and thus far no Dyson supporters deny that indeed Mr. Dyson and his team invented, engineered and designed something special.  And so my disappointment over the monthly filter maintenance is now lessened.

Re:  DC25

I have absolutely no problem with a 4-6 times per year filter maintenance on this machine.        DIB

Carmine D.

=========

Carmine,

2. I personally think the DC07 high efficiency filtration is the best Dyson currently offers.
  3. It should filter better than Dyson’s newest uprights that are coming too (the DC24/25).
  4. There are some patent pendings from big corporations out of Asia that are copying James’ proven upward cyclone filtration and putting them into their canisters.

The idea of Dyson sacrificing filtration in order to bring to market - a tiny, steerable and pivoting, 11.6 lb vacuum is what it is.  I, like many Dyson supporters posting here had disappointment over first learning of the monthly cleaning prior to actually seeing this (pre-launch) machine.  Since it launched and thus far no Dyson supporters deny that indeed Mr. Dyson and his team invented, engineered and designed something special.  And so my disappointment over the monthly filter maintenance is now lessened.

I have absolutely no problem with a 4-6 times per year filter maintenance on this machine.        DIB

HARDSELL

Reply #46   Jun 8, 2008 12:13 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine D.

=========

Carmine,

DIB, 

Why not buy one of Carmine's perferred vacuums.  They only require expensive bags which do not fill frequently because the vacuum doesn't pull out enough dirt to fill them.  You can also change the belt 3 to 4 times annually.  Remember the belts will need frequent changing because it fails even while stored and not in use.

His previous recommendations only required that the screen prior to the pleated filter be removed and cleaned a half dozen times with each use. Otherwise no suction.  If you are luck the pleatged filter will last the duration of each vacuuming without cleaning.  After vacuuming you can take the pleated filter out and beat the dust out of it while breathing the filth.  You might also need another vacuum to vacuum the remaining dirt out of the pleated filter.   Another of his previous favorite bagless spewed so much dirt that no filter was needed.

dusty

Reply #47   Jun 8, 2008 12:21 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson user simplicity is not its forte.  Dumping a dirt bin daily/weekly and washing filters quarterly is not in my opinion a better alternative than changing a paper bag once a month.  Add to the mix that most vacuum users don't have time and you don't have simplicity.  You get complications.

If it was as simple as only changing a bag once a month I would agree with you.  Bags have to be bought, that takes time and that's something that most users don't have, as you say.  Bags are the biggest agrivation people have about vacuums.  They run out unexpectedly, they run to Wal-Mart to buy new ones, Wal-Mart doesn't have them so in their infinite wisdom the buy something that might fit.  After all, a type "A" bag is a type "A" bag, right?  On top of bags you should really change your belt at least once or twice a year too.  Another daunting task for many.  The Hoover Foldaway has at least six screws that need to be undone.  Who has time for that?  And the belt...they always look so small and are so hard to put on.  More time needed.  Better wait for the husband to get home so he can do it.  Is that really a better solution than emptying a bin weekly and washing a foam, mostly dust free filter every 3 months?

As people in the vacuum industry we all know Dyson isn't the best product out there but really, it just doesn't matter.  The consumer looks at it as a no hassle vacuum, no more belts, no more bags, no more cartridges to buy.  In a time of new found eco friendlyness, the Dyson appeals to the masses.

Dusty
Replies: 38 - 47 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42