Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Lindhaus,the best vacuum no one knows about.......

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Lindhaus,the best vacuum no one knows about.......
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 9:49 am
Any one on the forum know anything about this GREAT product.

MOLE

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Lindhaus,the best vacuum no one knows about.......
Reply #4   Jan 26, 2008 8:49 am
Hello Vernon:

From my own observations and experience, the Lindhaus brand is carried by a few select vacuum independents [read affluent customer markets].  The brand is rarely pushed and pitched to every day customers who walk into vacuum stores looking for a new vacuum.  Rarely are they even displayed save for the sealed cartons on a shelf.  Rather, Lindhauses are sold to "discerning" customers [read wealthy and knowledgeable but certainly not gullible] seeking quality made and performing vacuums with high standards for excellent filtration.  They are very affordable and competitively priced considering many gullible vacuum buyers will think nothing of plunking down $500 plus for junk vacuums in the big box stores.  Or at least they did.  Time and experience may change their buying habits.  Obviously, Lindhauses are all bagged cleaners. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #5   Jan 26, 2008 11:02 am
Oops! Sorry, I was just about to repost something I'd already placed here.  Haven't had my coffee yet.

Venson

This message was modified Jan 26, 2008 by Venson
Machster

Reply #6   Feb 16, 2008 4:51 pm
I just thought I would chime in here. I had been doing research on vacuums since my Lindhaus HF6 canister needs a new motor. I originally bought it for the Hepa filter and for the low noise. In addition the bags it uses are huge so less emptying. Up until now I have had no major problems with it. Since I purchased it about 8 years ago vacuum cleaner offerings have changed quite a bit.

Today I hear the names Miele and Dyson bantered about the most. I would not touch a Miele because 1. it is German (too many bad experiences with these brands) and 2. it seems to be the most hyped vacuum and the one most dealers tend to push (read high markups). The newer kid on the block is Dyson. An acquaintance reccommended the brand. But as soon as I saw they were bagless and more importantly, rated extremely high in noise (over 90 db for the cannister: can you say rock concert level noise?), I wrote them off too. I did pop in to an appliance store to see what they had and saw that all the current offerings, including Hoover, were plasticky, and cheaply built crap.

To date, I have not found anything that could replace the low noise (60 db) Lindhaus that I have. So I am leaning towards fixing my current machine and adding the PH.
mole

Reply #7   Feb 16, 2008 5:38 pm
Thats sounds like the right move. Are you sure the motor is no good,it just might be in the switch,cord or the speed control module, these motors are very reliable,have it checked out by someone that knows the machine.

MOLE

This message was modified Feb 16, 2008 by mole
Machster

Reply #8   Feb 16, 2008 6:39 pm
Mole,

Did that. Repair shop says there is a dead spot on the motor. It has to be opened and the motor turned turned past this spot in order to start it. The condition apparently will only get worse with time. PITA to work with it this way.
mole

Reply #9   Feb 17, 2008 11:28 am
Sounds like the commutator opened up in one segement,caused by overheating it, did the themal switch ever go off while it was running?.then when the motor came back to operating temperatue come back on? I believe these motors can be repaired.IT could be one of the carbons got hung up ,take the carbons and holders out,and see if the housing got lapped over,i've seen this a lot.

MOLE

This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by mole
Lucky1

Reply #10   Feb 18, 2008 12:38 pm
Machster wrote:
1. it is German (too many bad experiences with these brands) and 2. it seems to be the most hyped vacuum and the one most dealers tend to push (read high markups).

WOW I can't speak for others but I love the Miele and also the ease on working on them. Your comment about high mark-ups is way off base! I agree I'm in business to make a living but There is NO WAY I would recommend a lousy vacuum with a higher mark-up to a customer over a better one with less mark-up. AFTERALL I want a customer for life and a happy one at that!. When I buy something I expect it of my salesman as well or I don't go back. (By the way is the Lindhaus mark-up much different than the Miele? You might be the exception to the rule but I believe the German vacs are the way to go. JMHO
Machster

Reply #11   Feb 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
WOW I can't speak for others but I love the Miele and also the ease on working on them. Your comment about high mark-ups is way off base! I agree I'm in business to make a living but There is NO WAY I would recommend a lousy vacuum with a higher mark-up to a customer over a better one with less mark-up. AFTERALL I want a customer for life and a happy one at that!. When I buy something I expect it of my salesman as well or I don't go back. (By the way is the Lindhaus mark-up much different than the Miele? You might be the exception to the rule but I believe the German vacs are the way to go. JMHO

Lucky1,

I meant no offense to you or anyone here. I appreciate your ardor for your machine, but understand that I  did not say that Miele is a bad vacuum. My current personal preferences are based my previous experience with other (German) products I have owned. And no, I don't buy that hype about German products, be it cars or vacuums, being superior. It only appeals to the pretentious few who love dropping the names of Miele, BMW, etc.

You think I am way off base about the markups?  How much do think these vacuums cost to manufacture?  If you are in the business, would you tell us what the Miele mark up is?  Mind you I do not exclude the name Lindhaus from probably having large markups.  I only bought it because it was the only one, at the time, I could find that had low noise and a Hepa filter. Today, vacuums with Hepa's are everywhere. If I were buying a new one today, it probably would not be a Lindhaus either. But I am currently sitting here with one of those expensive vacuums, one with a good reputation,  that needs a new motor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW I went to Sears today to have a first hand look at the Dyson line. These have got to be the worst built things I have ever seen. They remind me of my HabitTail set I had for my hamsters when I was a kid.  They are pretty to look at, being very colorful, and designed to appeal to the eye with their futuristic look. But they felt like they would fall apart in my hand.  And LOUD!!! I can not believe anyone would  seriously consider buying them.
Machster

Reply #12   Feb 18, 2008 11:03 pm
mole wrote:
Sounds like the commutator opened up in one segement,caused by overheating it, did the themal switch ever go off while it was running?.then when the motor came back to operating temperatue come back on? I believe these motors can be repaired.IT could be one of the carbons got hung up ,take the carbons and holders out,and see if the housing got lapped over,i've seen this a lot.

MOLE

Mole,

Really appreciate your assistance here. The problem is the motor would not start cold. It has stopped a few times in the past 8 years or so due to what I believe was the temperature. If the hose gets a knot, for instance, the unit will switch off until it cools down, I guess.

Not sure I understand about the carbons and holders though. My knowledge of motors is limited. Right now the unit is at the shop. They said that after they turned the motor it is now running, but this problem  will get worse. Are you suggesting that the motor can possibly be repaired by the user? Maybe try to replace the carbons? The shop is suggesting a $250 replacement cost. It sounds like they think it is not repairable.
mole

Reply #13   Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am
From what your shop is saying the motor is not bad,the carbons need to be reset

MOLE

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42