Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Central vacuum systems

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Central vacuum systems
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 9:40 am
I just recently installed a signature central vacuum system,I should have done this 20 years ago,Now were all done buying vacuum cleaners every 2 years.

Has anyone else on the forum gone this route?

MOLE

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
vaclov

Re: Central vacuum systems
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2008 9:28 pm
Yes, I have one installed I just need to get an electrician to come out and install a 240.
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2008 7:13 am
What are the pros and cons of a 240 volt and 120 volt for CVS?  What are some good options by brand and model for both volt modes?  For a house that is 3000 plus square feet with the pipes and outlets and kitchen sweep already installed. 

There appears to be an electrical outlet already installed in the garage for the CVS unit.  It looks 120V, but I don't know for sure.  it's above eye level.  I need a ladder to climb and examine more closely and take a look at the electrical box, which right now is buried behind storage cabinets. 

BTW, as you can see I still have to buy/install one for my daughter and SIL.  It's on the to do list for this year.

Thanks Mole et al.  All advice is welcome and appreciated.

BTW, portable vacuums are currently being used for cleaning.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2008 9:09 am
Hi Carmine,for your application there would be many systems that would be a good and reliable fit,I would stay away from the 240 volt units in your home just a added needless expense.The bag or bagless route is up to you,although my system gives the option of going both ways.In my opinion if there are pets in the house the bagged feature deals much better with the animal hairs etc.The only problem associated with a quality system is from lack of basic maintainence.I would vey highly reccomend the VAC PANS,these are one the most innovative products to hit the cvs industry in years.The attachment sets,the selection is almost endless,I really like the aerus/electrolux kit,and running a close second is the centec,and wessel works kits.

I will be more than happy to help you out..................

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2008 2:43 pm
Hello Mole:

Do you stock and sell?  If so, email the details to me, please.

Thanks

Carmine D.

Imperium

Reply #5   Feb 4, 2008 9:10 pm
Carmine,
240 volt systems are usually two motor systems and are more powerful than 120 volt systems.  A 120 volt unit with comparable power would require #10 electrical wire which is more expensive to run and would also require a 30 amp circuit instead of the 15 or 20 amp circuit the 240 volt system requires.  However, there are 120 volt systems that are still powerful and plug into an ordinary electrical outlet.
CarmineD

Reply #6   Feb 5, 2008 7:19 am
Thank you.  I'll keep that in mind.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #7   Feb 5, 2008 9:42 am
Hi Guy's ,is this fact or fiction, Do twin motor systems create too much heat between the motors, IF they are set up without the tangential discharge,or horn motors.

I have seen a lot of nutones that use the twin motor perefial dicharge motors, or not positive bypass motors. There seems to be a lot of control board failures because the heat disapation is not set up correctly.

Most all the life of the house warranteed units are single stage ametek/lamb equipped 7.2'' 3 stage blower motors. The brush life is 1200 hours. The warranty stays in effect only when the carbons are changed. I have personally repaired vac-u- flo units,cyclonic model 26's that are over 40 years old.The 334 lamb 2 stage motors,are considered the best central vac motors ever. They run at 110,110.

The nicest set up i've seen lately is the soft start  ignition modules. No instant on 19500 rpm shock starts.

MOLE

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2008 9:28 pm
IF you are getting a 2 motor central vac, avoid any with the motors in series.  These will cause overheating and much shorter motor life.  Its mush better to have a 2 motor central vac with the motors in parallel.  I personally have a Riccar (made by Cyclovac) unit with 2 Domel tangential discharge motors in parallel, with each motor having its own exaust.  Its a 240V unit.  As for a 240V motor running cooler, they usually do.  This is because they typically use less amps.  Each motor in my unit uses about 6 amps, the sticker on the unit says it uses 12 amps total.  The 120V version of this motor uses about 9 amps.  The lower amperage means the motor will run cooler.
Imperium

Reply #9   Feb 23, 2008 12:43 pm
At the International Builder's Show in Orlando I saw a new unit Vacuflo has.  It has two of the good Lamb Ametek motors in series.  It is really powerful.  I don't think there is an issue with motor life because VacuFlo offers a lifetime warranty on parts.  VacuMaid manufactures a central vacuum system with a Lamb Ametek motor that stops when the carbon brushes get worn down so that you can replace the carbon brushes before the motor burns up.  I think I would stay with a system that has a Lamb Ametek motor.  I'm not really sure about the motors that are made in China or Eastern Europe.  Lamb Ametek has longevity in the central vacuum industry.  I have a dual motor Imperium central vacuum and I use it with a Hide a Hose, which I love. 
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42