Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 84 - 93 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #84   Jan 16, 2008 12:44 pm
Airblade wrote:
Carmine, my old friend..........
It's your favorite Dyson insider from your old home here.  How is Vegas treating you? 

Anyway, I can't provide you the numbers that you ask for ( I like my job too much!), otherwise I would.  I am closer to Airblade these days, but I am still privy to floorcare info.  I can assure you that 2007 was quite good for Dyson.

As far as Airblade placement goes, it is in various places around the country. 

Feel free to PM me and I'll try to get more specific with you.

Well well, hello my old friend.  Good to hear from you.  I was wondering what became of you and your dyson career.  I will take you up on your offer.  Although I must say, dyson never silenced the sales success news in the past on Forums. 

Vegas is wonderful and treating me very very well.  I wish I came sooner!  I absolutely love it.  Don't miss the east a bit.

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #85   Jan 16, 2008 2:03 pm
mole wrote:
The dc21 will never take off in the states,reasons are obvious.

1 way over priced.

2 way over HYPED,as usual.

3 american buyers are finally smartening up to the vacuum cleaner[thats suppose to revolutionize the industry].HA.HA.HA.

4 the dealers that sell or have sold Dyson are getting the backlash of selling this overpriced,underperforming, product,which by the way is an insult to the real vacuum guy's and girls and [[THE SERVICE TECHS] have thrown their hands in the air and just tell the customer that they got ripped off,and yes you got suckered by the hype.

Your replys are welcome.

MOLE

Hi Mole,

Perhaps you're referring to the DC22 if it is ever released here? 

As Airblade said, and I've noticed this as well, the DC21 under-hyped and under-advertised.  I can't remember ever seeing a commercial for it in the 10 or so months it's been out (7 for big-box stores).  Sure, like any Dyson model it's not the cheapest vacuum around, but it is hardly the most expensive ($499 retail), even compared to some Dyson uprights (such as the DC17 and DC15 Animal models for $549, and of course the DC15).  In fact I believe the DC11 Telescope, when it was out sold for this same amount.  The difference of course was that the DC11 was not nearly as good as the 21 and also lacked an electric power nozzle (or Motorhead, hence my name).  The Motorhead on the DC21 is one of the best power nozzles I've seen by far, the 2-piece brushroll is gear-driven and can be easily removed from the nozzle.

Since you mentioned in another thread that you own a vacuum store, has anyone tried to bring a broken Dyson in, and if so, which model(s)?

Hi Venson,

I saw that DC21 HSN video on YouTube as well; they've done similar "bin capacity" tests for the DC07, 14, 15 etc. (and even cyclonic models from other brands like the Hoover Fusion/Mach 3).  Not really a good test for how the machine will hold up over time, and how well it does under extended use.  I have to wonder how long that machine had been there, how long it had been used for cleanup at the Best Buy, and of course other factors like the material it was picking up (presumably a large amount of fine dust judging by your description).  Did you pop open the pre-motor filter compartment and see how dirty the filter was by any chance?  How was the suction?

I can sort of understand the overall "dustiness" because it's not a Level 3 machine, and wasn't designed for commercial use, although since you didn't mention any damage or broken pieces I'd say it has held up quite well in that enviroment.  I would also bet the performance has not changed, either, and the suction has not dropped off.  Then again, I could be wrong ;-)

Hi Airblade,

Nice to see a Dyson insider here, I definitely look forward to your future posts.  I do have a question for you:  Isn't the wholesale/dealer-invoice price of the DC21 around $411?  At least that's what I was told by a dealer when I bought mine.  If it is, doesn't seem to be a huge markup there so I would venture to say that dealers who push Dysons aren't doing so to make a tremendous profit (unlike Miele).

-MH

This message was modified Jan 16, 2008 by Motorhead
Airblade

Reply #86   Jan 16, 2008 2:18 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Hi Airblade,

Nice to see a Dyson insider here, I definitely look forward to your future posts.  I do have a question for you:  Isn't the wholesale/dealer-invoice price of the DC21 around $411?  At least that's what I was told by a dealer when I bought mine.  If it is, doesn't seem to be a huge markup there so I would venture to say that dealers who push Dysons aren't doing so to make a tremendous profit (unlike Miele).

-MH

Hey there MH,
Glad to be here!!  There will be certain info that I cannot pass onto everyone else, but I can say that dealers make more than $89 when they sell a DC21.  Hope that helps!
Lucky1

Reply #87   Jan 16, 2008 3:10 pm
"Nice to see a Dyson insider here, I definitely look forward to your future posts. I do have a question for you: Isn't the wholesale/dealer-invoice price of the DC21 around $411? At least that's what I was told by a dealer when I bought mine. If it is, doesn't seem to be a huge markup there so I would venture to say that dealers who push Dysons aren't doing so to make a tremendous profit (unlike Miele)."

Most products sold by major retail chains have lower profit margins...Dyson/Electrolux(Eureka)/Dirt Devil/Hoover etc. Those companies sell volume and provide advertising which retailers benefit from (say what you what about Dyson, there graphics and advertising are superb. Companies like Miele/Sebo and Simplicity don't advertise as much or at all leaving it to the retailer to do ads or not. Just 2 ways of doing business. The second way helps the mom and pop store stay in business and offers the company superior customer service and a local repair facility. Two features so infuriating to Dyson buyers. I could be wrong but I get the feeling you think a retailer pushes Miele is because of profit margin. I can assure you we feel the Miele is a VERY GOOD machine and have the utmost confidence when selling to a customer you will face personally. My reputation is more important than profit margin. Of course when you get both it's a win-win situation..LOL
mole

Reply #88   Jan 16, 2008 3:45 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Mole,

Perhaps you're referring to the DC22 if it is ever released here? 

As Airblade said, and I've noticed this as well, the DC21 under-hyped and under-advertised.  I can't remember ever seeing a commercial for it in the 10 or so months it's been out (7 for big-box stores).  Sure, like any Dyson model it's not the cheapest vacuum around, but it is hardly the most expensive ($499 retail), even compared to some Dyson uprights (such as the DC17 and DC15 Animal models for $549, and of course the DC15).  In fact I believe the DC11 Telescope, when it was out sold for this same amount.  The difference of course was that the DC11 was not nearly as good as the 21 and also lacked an electric power nozzle (or Motorhead, hence my name).  The Motorhead on the DC21 is one of the best power nozzles I've seen by far, the 2-piece brushroll is gear-driven and can be easily removed from the nozzle.

Since you mentioned in another thread that you own a vacuum store, has anyone tried to bring a broken Dyson in, and if so, which model(s)?

Hi Airblade,

-MH
 What dealer in the right stage of mind,would put out 411.00 plus to sell a machine for 499.00. They[DYSON], are playing the dealers for suckers,fortunatly the professional shops are a little too smart for them,So the wolves are preying on the big box stores where 88.00 is big markup to them.If that machine costs DYSON more than $90.00 to make,then they are getting jolted.How many times do i have to tell you guy's it's the best 89.95 vacuum on the planet.
THE GIGS UP
MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #89   Jan 16, 2008 4:12 pm
Airblade wrote:
 Is that why Dyson sold more vacuums in the U.S. in 2007 then ever before?

Is dyson including the sale of the DC16 hand helds in its figures?  

In the USA vacuum industry, hand helds are not included in the annual total sale of vacuums because handcleaners are not an upright and/or canister-tank vacuum.

Carmine D. 

mole

Reply #90   Jan 16, 2008 4:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Is dyson including the sale of the DC16 hand helds in its figures?  

In the USA vacuum industry, hand helds are not included in the annual total sale of vacuums because handcleaners are not an upright and/or canister-tank vacuum.

Carmine D. 

Maybe their counting the repacks,sold on ebay.........Can anyone say REGINA..........

MOLE

mole

Reply #91   Jan 16, 2008 4:38 pm
Hi M.H. in your professional opinion ,whats the better machiine,for the 499.00.

MIele plus

bosch formula

emer donatello

dyson dc21.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #92   Jan 16, 2008 6:52 pm
Just wrote:
I am not trying to get into a debate of machines, but.  My Nephew and his wife just purchased a Big Bird colored vacuum at our local Sam's Club for a retail price $469.  She used the vac exactly two (2) times.  Dumping the bin after each room she cleaned.  She did so to demonstrate how much dirt she was getting out of each room.   When she pulled it out for it's third cleaning the machine didn't seem to be picking up, after  few minutes the motor just shut down.  They took it back, and was told they would have to send it into the service shop.  They spent all of the christmas holiday with a cheap Dirt Devil vac to tidy up with.  They have now been notified that the vacuum will not be repaired under warranty, because the filters had not been kept clean, and this constitues  misues and abuse thus voiding the warranty.    Apparently the motor is spent. 

I suggested that with as short of time it was owned, they should contact higher ups in the company and request a replacement.  It is currently being considered but they have not heard anything yet.

Hello Airblade:

As a dyson insider what are your thoughts on Just's post and the facts and circumstances for this dyson?

I'll understand if you can't speak about it on a public Forum. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #93   Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm
Hiya Motorhead,

The DC21 at Best Buy has been in the store at least a few months and to the eye is in relatively fine physical shape.  No visible parts were broken though I wondered at signs of abrasion on the plastic plate on the bottom of the power nozzle. 

Dyson does not seem make simple tasks easy for the novice.  It took 20 or 30 seconds to figure out but I got the dust bin open but decided not to pursue figuring out how to get at the first filter since there was no way to neatly manage its inspection in a public place.  However, there was definitely a very obvious accumulation of dust in the area above where air leaves the container. Also, I could not turn the cleaner on because our Best Buy does not provide easily accessible outlets for testing vacuums.  (After several years they have yet to provide a solution to the problem.) All display items in the vacuum aisle are kept off the floor and on shelves and must be taken down and carried an aisle or two away to plug them in.  (I honestly don't know how this store sells anything.)

In any event, suction was not the issue for me that moment.  I simply wanted to see, per the HSN pitch, whether dust was as well contained as claimed.  As for what is cleaned, My Best Buy has vinyl tiles in aisles plus large expanses of the usual very low pile industrial carpeting.  There's little fluff to be picked up but fine, powdery dust just about the same in type as I encounter at my office.

Best,

Venson

Replies: 84 - 93 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42