Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Constellation

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
George

Hoover Constellation
Original Message   Dec 6, 2007 8:21 pm
Have any of you gentlemen heard anything about the performance on "New" Hoover Constellation.  There seems to be more on Ebay to purchase then in the stores. It seems the novelty has worn off.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover Constellation
Reply #10   Nov 23, 2008 7:16 am
Talking about HOOVER canisters, the Constellation is selling for $145 new.  A host of HOOVER products are on sale as a year end clearance/inventory sale.  The HOOVER WT Supreme is selling new for $100, regularly $150.  Have to ask the local HOOVER store about the WT Supreme's price tho, since the discount is not reflected on the HOOVER Web Site.

http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=S3345&ds=true

http://www.hoover.com/Product.aspx?model=U5468900&ds=false

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am
I came across this ad from 1952 and thought I'd share by posting.  I could not get the print larger, but you can vaguely see the price is $97.50, not exactly cheap for the early 50's.  Enjoy. 

Carmine D.

Retro1955_Hoover_Constellation_Vacuum.jpg (65038 bytes)   

retardturtle1

Reply #12   Jun 11, 2009 12:07 pm
we have the stainless steel model at the shop...1 sold in 3 months..and just like the hoover z that also sits in our showroom,,[a couple yrs ],intresting to look at ..and thats it...i like the ideas behind them...edgy looks....,but in the end an okay looking vac with really good performance wins everytime..imo
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jun 11, 2009 1:19 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
we have the stainless steel model at the shop...1 sold in 3 months..and just like the hoover z that also sits in our showroom,,[a couple yrs ],intresting to look at ..and thats it...i like the ideas behind them...edgy looks....,but in the end an okay looking vac with really good performance wins everytime..imo

Hello retardturtle1:

The "Connie" as HOOVER reps called them has a long storied and starried history unlike the HOOVER Z.  I was surprised to see HOOVER reintroduce this model in 2005.  The model in the ad is an 82 and does not have the "floats on air" feature which soon followed in the Constellations.  Amazingly, with the large felt pre-motor filter in these old Constellations, the motor stayed clean and cool during operations.  With all the these Connie models made over a generation of production years, I can't recall ever having one with a bad motor.  Despite the users who improvised filters and/or didn't use one at all at times.   Good suction for a straight suction cleaner and "wow" design that passed the test of time.  Certainly a signature HOOVER canister model for the ages.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #14   Jun 11, 2009 2:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

The "Connie" as HOOVER reps called them has a long storied and starried history unlike the HOOVER Z.  I was surprised to see HOOVER reintroduce this model in 2005.  The model in the ad is an 82 and does not have the "floats on air" feature which soon followed in the Constellations.  Amazingly, with the large felt pre-motor filter in these old Constellations, the motor stayed clean and cool during operations.  With all the these Connie models made over a generation of production years, I can't recall ever having one with a bad motor.  Despite the users who improvised filters and/or didn't use one at all at times.   Good suction for a straight suction cleaner and "wow" design that passed the test of time.  Certainly a signature HOOVER canister model for the ages.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

the hoover we have is the 700z ,the one that never sold yet the owner wont put it up on ebay..would rather let it oxidize i guess?...the const. at the the store kinda justs bumps into everything as u vac. ..not sure what kind of WOW factor i was expecting from the FLOATER..guess i was wanting to see it HOVER...guess i set myself up for that one tho...but i dont ever recall ever getting one in for service either...not once. ...

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

the hoover we have is the 700z ,the one that never sold yet the owner wont put it up on ebay..would rather let it oxidize i guess?...the const. at the the store kinda justs bumps into everything as u vac. ..not sure what kind of WOW factor i was expecting from the FLOATER..guess i was wanting to see it HOVER...guess i set myself up for that one tho...but i dont ever recall ever getting one in for service either...not once. ...

Hello retardturtle1:

The Z 700 is the deluxe model with the LED lights.  The owner is waiting for someone to come in and specifically ask for the Z, then he'll command top dollar for it! 

For its time, the early fifties, the global shape of the Connie was a wow factor.  It was futuristic.  Some early ads even called it the 'flying machine." The double stretch hose with telescopic wands were new.  It was in my opinion the first popular selling  vacuum that sold on looks.  Suction wise it was decent.  By all measures it was a fad because most vacuum buyers were hooked on uprights.  The floatation system on the Connie would have been better served with a sensor to avoid collisions with furniture and walls.  But no such thing existed for vacuums at the time so the best substitute was the large full wrap around bumper in the middle of the vacuum.  Easy to work on.  Rarely required any service save a new hose, switch, cord, filter and bag.  All inexpensive on most Connie's except the 87 which has an electric hose with a switch on the hose end. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #16   Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

The Z 700 is the deluxe model with the LED lights.  The owner is waiting for someone to come in and specifically ask for the Z, then he'll command top dollar for it! 

For its time, the early fifties, the global shape of the Connie was a wow factor.  It was futuristic.  Some early ads even called it the 'flying machine." The double stretch hose with telescopic wands were new.  It was in my opinion the first popular selling  vacuum that sold on looks.  Suction wise it was decent.  By all measures it was a fad because most vacuum buyers were hooked on uprights.  The floatation system on the Connie would have been better served with a sensor to avoid collisions with furniture and walls.  But no such thing existed for vacuums at the time so the best substitute was the large full wrap around bumper in the middle of the vacuum.  Easy to work on.  Rarely required any service save a new hose, switch, cord, filter and bag.  All inexpensive on most Connie's except the 87 which has an electric hose with a switch on the hose end. 

Carmine D.

hi carmine.

a few strips of led lights on the floater here and there..along the circular bottom might be a pretty cool  addition...that would add some pop to it.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Jun 12, 2009 6:53 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine.

a few strips of led lights on the floater here and there..along the circular bottom might be a pretty cool  addition...that would add some pop to it.

Hi retardturtle1:

I like that.  You have the makings of a new age vacuum cleaner designer, erhh, I mean engineer.

On the old Connies, 4 screws less than a 1/2 inch long [agitator brush screws] held the entire machine together including the motor mounted in an inverted position with the commutator end of the motor frame at the bottom.  Simple design and function.  The motor's fans were directly under the pre-motor filter and paper bag drawing the expelled bag air circulating around in the huge half globe bag compartment directly into the motor cavity for motor cooling.  An important feature.  Why?  With the vacuum's weight atop the exhaust [for floatation] the Connie motors would have a predisposition to overheat.  Never did if bag and filter were maintained properly.  Excellent bypass motor design despite the added imposition going back over 50 years. 

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #18   Jun 12, 2009 1:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi retardturtle1:

I like that.  You have the makings of a new age vacuum cleaner designer, erhh, I mean engineer.

On the old Connies, 4 screws less than a 1/2 inch long [agitator brush screws] held the entire machine together including the motor mounted in an inverted position with the commutator end of the motor frame at the bottom.  Simple design and function.  The motor's fans were directly under the pre-motor filter and paper bag drawing the expelled bag air circulating around in the huge half globe bag compartment directly into the motor cavity for motor cooling.  An important feature.  Why?  With the vacuum's weight atop the exhaust [for floatation] the Connie motors would have a predisposition to overheat.  Never did if bag and filter were maintained properly.  Excellent bypass motor design despite the added imposition going back over 50 years. 

Carmine D. 

hi carmine

you would think that because of the possibility of overheating the motor,despite the 'dome' of air ..that they would add a small cooling fan...just in case....i say this because ive heard that back in the day is when stuff was built to last....quality over quantity.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Jun 12, 2009 3:01 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

you would think that because of the possibility of overheating the motor,despite the 'dome' of air ..that they would add a small cooling fan...just in case....i say this because ive heard that back in the day is when stuff was built to last....quality over quantity.

Interesting that you say so, retardturtle1.  However, it wasn't needed.   Plenty of air flow and circulation throughout the global Connie bag and motor cavities.  Cooling fans on the other hand were standard and staples in most all fan first uprights. 

Also interesting to note is that the HOOVER portable canisters, all using bypass dirt motor systems, used a cooling fan on the commutator end of the motor, with an outerstage housing cover, to increase the cool/clean airflow circulation around the motor. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jun 12, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42