Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

Fairrfax Vacuum
Original Message   Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm
Howdy Doody all:

I just migrated from the old site today I used to be Just-passing-throu, however, this new site wouldn't let me use that screen name.  Thus I'm Just.

What I was wondering about is.  Last weekend a man appeared on my doorstep wanting to show me a Fairfax vacuum.  I had heard of them years ago so I let him in just to look.  My opinion it was overpriced, difficult to use, and way-way-way too many expensive consumables i.e filters and bags.   

My question is:  I didn't know the Fairfax was even being built anylonger, but obviously it is. Who makes it?  I have searched the web today and didn't find any manufacturer site.  I has, of course the NASA designed body and motor; but I am resonably sure it isn't a Space Shuttle vacuum.  Then again at $2,000 it could be.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Fairfax Vacuum
Reply #1   Nov 28, 2007 6:32 pm
Wow, that's interesting.  If I recall, Fairfax was based out of Texas at one point, but I had heard that they went out of business a few years ago which I thought was a shame considering what neat machines they were.  I'd be curious to hear more information.
This message was modified Nov 28, 2007 by Motorhead
Venson

Re: Fairrfax Vacuum
Reply #2   Nov 28, 2007 10:37 pm
Hey there Just,

So glad you're here.  This may or may not be helpful but check out the following link -- https://www.economyproducts.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EP&Category_Code=FVCPAS

I believe Eco Products claims to be the manufacturer.  You'll find phone numbers on the website.  Also check out Charley Lester's website -- http://www.137.com/fairfax/

The Fairfax was presented as an all purpose vacuum in latter years.  It had a float valve insert that was alleged to allow you to do wet pick-ups as well as dry vacuuming. There was also an attachment similar to the polisher that fitted to Rainbow's motor unit.  Before all this the Fairfax was a dry use vacuum that had a large flat round filter to trap dust and dirt in the dust container below sans the "cyclonic" deal provided by much better-designed Filter Queen.  A big failing was minimized filtering area due to design.  Early Silver King had a similar dust capture set-up.  Fairfax design has not changed radically over the years and Fairfax's attachments as basically borrowed Eureka pieces.  This goes back to even the straight suction models that used a metal rug nozzle Eureka featured on some of its commercial-use canisters.  Newer doo-dads like the outboard air filter (ala Patriot and Air Storm) came later on down the line.   I must say here that I have neve used the Fairfax but can see nothing to recommend it.

There are a number of odd and clumsy used vacuums like Fairfax, Thermax, Silver King and Water-Matic that continually show up on eBay.  I still remain surprised that they got sold in the first place.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Nov 28, 2007 by Venson
mole

Reply #3   Nov 29, 2007 9:53 am
Hi JUST,welcome aboard again,The fairfax was sold the old way door to door,maybe still is,the machine had/has some very powerful selling features,Also it's a very high profit piece,The S 1 was one model i remember very well,sort of had a HOOVER constellation look to it,really loved that stainless polished look to it,the mechanicals of the machine were basic off the shelf parts.

take care.

MOLE

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #4   Dec 1, 2007 11:34 pm
They are still in buisness, and I actually have their current model, and the one before it.  They were based out of Carrolton TX, now they in Little Elm.   Still the same machine they have sold since teh 80s.

ADDED:  I just wanted to add that they are now using a paper bag.  Forgot to mention that before.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2007 by Vacuuman
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42