Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Dyson DC22
Original Message   Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am
The Dyson DC22 canister was very recently introduced in Japan. I have heard that this will make it to the US market in order to expand their canister range.

Key Features:

-Root Cyclone with Core Separation
-Dyson Digital Motor
-Stowaway Design
-Motorhead
-Pre filter rinse once every seven years

This message was modified Oct 31, 2007 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 9 - 18 of 162Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iMacDaddy

Re: Dyson DC22
Reply #9   Nov 3, 2007 6:22 am
Do Dyson canisters have a small wheel(s) on the undercarriage so that you can drag it across the floor?
iMacDaddy

Reply #10   Nov 3, 2007 6:48 am
Dyson should really build a DC15 successor with the inclusion of the aggressive brush roll and refined updates of the DC17, and the DDM and Root Cyclone + Core Separator of the DC22. With the estimated retail price of the DC22 being $800-900 USDM, I can only imagine such a flagship upright being close to that price range as well. I believe the DDM is very small and lightweight, so that would shave some weight off a full size 'Ball' design. However, with a Dyson upright in the $800 range, I would love to see them experiment with more exotic lightweight materials like anodized aluminum, and carbon fiber. That would be great if they can get a DC15 successor with the weight on par with the DC18. Also, I would like to see Dyson offer at least three optional brush rolls with three different grades of bristle stiffness that would be suitable for a wide range of carpets from plush high pile to stiff looped berber carpets.
mole

Reply #11   Nov 3, 2007 9:36 am
And again dyson's KEY FEATURES,OFFER NO BENEFITS TO THE CONSUMER.How many people care about a digital motor that cant be repaired?

mole

M00seUK

Reply #12   Nov 3, 2007 10:11 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Do Dyson canisters have a small wheel(s) on the undercarriage so that you can drag it across the floor?

When you pull on the hose, it 'up ends' the machine so that it balances on the two side wheels. There also tends to be 3rd 'jockey wheel' on the front of the underside.
M00seUK

Reply #13   Nov 3, 2007 10:18 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Dyson should really build a DC15 successor with the inclusion of the aggressive brush roll and refined updates of the DC17, and the DDM and Root Cyclone + Core Separator of the DC22. With the estimated retail price of the DC22 being $800-900 USDM, I can only imagine such a flagship upright being close to that price range as well. I believe the DDM is very small and lightweight, so that would shave some weight off a full size 'Ball' design. However, with a Dyson upright in the $800 range, I would love to see them experiment with more exotic lightweight materials like anodized aluminum, and carbon fiber. That would be great if they can get a DC15 successor with the weight on par with the DC18. Also, I would like to see Dyson offer at least three optional brush rolls with three different grades of bristle stiffness that would be suitable for a wide range of carpets from plush high pile to stiff looped berber carpets.

Reducing the weight on the DC15 would be a good step - Dyson uprights are surprisingly light once you remove the motor. Problem with 'the ball' on the DC15 is that it's arrangement with the ducting and the retractable undercarriage with all it's springs and washers makes it a complex machine to assemble and less durable than the 2nd version used in the DC18. Presumely, they only keep the DC15 Animal on sale because it can collect more per hair than the DC18. A choice of brushrolls would be possible with the new cog arrangement, but it would add a cost for a feature that I'd presume that 95% of consumers wouldn't care for.
M00seUK

Reply #14   Nov 3, 2007 10:24 am
mole wrote:
And again dyson's KEY FEATURES,OFFER NO BENEFITS TO THE CONSUMER.How many people care about a digital motor that cant be repaired?

mole

Well, in the table above, you'll see that Dyson are offering an extended guarantee for folks that choose the digital motor version, so that's one benefit.

The other benefits are harder to quantify. Firstly, one possible disadvantage is that digital motor in previous vacuums is somewhat louder than a standard motor.
The other benefits are of size and weight, plus presumably you don't require a post motor filter? However, these are moot points if they're designing models where the digital motor is available as an option.
Motorhead

Reply #15   Nov 3, 2007 3:27 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Well, in the table above, you'll see that Dyson are offering an extended guarantee for folks that choose the digital motor version, so that's one benefit.

The other benefits are harder to quantify. Firstly, one possible disadvantage is that digital motor in previous vacuums is somewhat louder than a standard motor.
The other benefits are of size and weight, plus presumably you don't require a post motor filter? However, these are moot points if they're designing models where the digital motor is available as an option.

Wow, so a standard carbon-brush motor is offered alongside the new digital motor?  I didn't see that before...I wonder if this will be carried over to the US as well and people will have the option to select the digital motor?  As far as I know there is a post-motor HEPA on the DC22 much like there is on the DC21, although with the digital motor there's really no carbon-brush dust to catch ;-)

Whether or not the motor can be repaired makes me wonder how much stress (and heat) 100,000 RPM will put on the bearings, and how the bearings are made.  No doubt those will go first much like on many other machines.  I hope they at least had the sense to allow the bearings to be replaced...IMO that would be a waste if you had to replace the motor in its entirety.  I wonder how long it will take before Dyson starts using magnetic bearings where there are no rotating parts, and the armature is just held in place by strong magnetic fields.  Now that's a motor that would (theoretically) last a lifetime. 

I don't own one unfortunately, but I've used a 2-speed Rainbow E-series with the "hurricane" motor before which according to what I heard is similar to this.  Except on startup, it doesn't sound any different than a standard motor on high speed, but then again, it's only going about 30,000 RPM, not 100,000!  There's about a 1-second delay right when you flip the switch and the motor comes on, and the sound it makes on startup is quite interesting.  Sort of like an electronic "revving" sound if that makes any sense.  But if you put that one and a machine with a brush-type motor side by side, both on and running, and had someone come in to the room blindfolded, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

I agree with IMacDaddy on what he said about the DC15...a redesign would definitely make a winner there.  From my experience the current DC15 design is very top-heavy and is horrible at bare-floor pickup.  The DC07 and DC14 have quite a few shortcomings and just need to go completely, in my opinion, especially now with the introduction of the DC17, 18, and 21.  With that self-propelled upright and the DC22 added to the model line the gaps would be filled. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Nov 5, 2007 5:37 pm

Re:  What’s the real difference between the DDM DC22 vs. carbon motor DC22 aside from price?

• The DDM is a “Maintenance Free” vacuum (no pre-motor filter cleaning/replacement for up to 7 yrs.)
  • Logic tells me…  The carbon brush motor will be James’ typical wash-every-6-months pre-motor filter.

Why the “Maintenance Free” vacuum?  Two reasons…

1)      A friend predicted that James would have pc board failures eventually if he did not figure out how to always

have “clean air” to cool the DC12’s board. – Owners do not properly clean and maintain their pre-motor filters

and in a DDM vacuum this results in overheating and board failure. - Hence the DC22, with 1)  Dyson’s best

cyclonic filtering (perhaps best in the world) 2) a pre-motor monster filter and 3) a filter wash/replacement indicator

light or shut off (see power button, outer ring light – green = clean filter, red = dirty filter).

2)      James perhaps has now the worlds first and only… cleanest filtering and maintenance free vacuum.  And!- He

still has the DC12 if one wants a super compact yet powerful vacuum.  Not bad!

DIB

More Japanses DC22 launch pictures (showing motorhead).

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #17   Nov 5, 2007 6:13 pm
Hi DIB

The DC22 sounds an impressive machine!  I take it the filter that is located behind one of the wheels is the pre motor filter?  And that the DDM models don't

have a post motor filter?   I think after a few years people would forget to wash the filter let alone after 7 years!  I've just got someone to wash their Dyson filter on there

DC04 for the first time!  The machine is about 5 years old!  Not surprising it's on it 2nd motor!  I'm surprised in someways Dyson has used a filter indicator as he has said

in the past that hes not keen on them!

The so called 'Motorhead' on this DC22 Japan model is in fact powered by airflow and not a motor?  Looks like it is, instead of one air intake it has 2 either side!

Wonder if this will make an appearance in the UK!  Never seen a replacement for the UK version of the DC07 Upright which was (still is!) in the UK Dyson's most

powerful upright to date!

DC18

This message was modified Nov 7, 2007 by DC18
Trilobite

Reply #18   Nov 7, 2007 6:56 pm
Hello folks, I finally got around to migrating to the new site: just in time for the DC22, it seems.

DC18 (formerly known as "JD"?)  - I thought the DC14 range was the evolution/replacement for DC07.

DC07 had several 'deficiencies' (dust clogging, too tall for carrying for shorter people, whining noise from cyclones, strong suction). The DC14 addressed these flaws.

(What's with the daft formatting of this site??? The text runs off the edge of the screen, and the POST and REPLY buttons are miles away!)

Replies: 9 - 18 of 162Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42