Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Questions on 1970 Ariens snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Questions on 1970 Ariens snowblower
Original Message   Mar 19, 2005 10:11 pm
I guaranteed it will snow again by starting to do end-of-season maintenance on our old snowblower - 1970 manufacture Ariens. The front half is model # 10995. The tractor portion is either 10942 or 10954 - the label is worn off but when I called Ariens they said it would be either of those. The engine is  the 5 hp Tecumseh-  H50 65226H.

A few mysteries:

- When I removed the shear pins to rotate the augers after greasing, the left (from driver's position) spins freely. The right one does not - it spins the auger and impeller with it. I take it this is not normal?

- I removed the top plug in the [auger] gear case, and I can see any grease. I can smell it, but not see it. How full should it be?

- When I removed the shear pin on the left side, there was quite a bit of oil or grease on it. Is it possible that a seal is gone on that side of the gear case and the lube leaked down the shaft? Or is it just perhaps that the last grease job was a little exuberant?

- I removed the muffler (which may be original) and there is a loose piece inside, at the far end where the outlet holes are. Is that normal? I'll replace it anyway as it is so corroded. Of course, the forward bolt broke off but long enough to get a stud remover on it.

- With the wheels off the ground, there is as much as an inch of "slop" rotating the wheel forward and back. There is minimal play up and down or side to side.

- How do you get the hub cap off? Just pry it, or?

TIA
This message was modified Mar 19, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42