Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A reminder about WD-40

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Emmo

A reminder about WD-40
Original Message   Mar 18, 2005 4:02 pm
Most of us know that WD-40 is highly flammable and should not be used around sparks or open flames.

If you have any doubts, watch this video.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Re: A reminder about WD-40
Reply #1   Mar 18, 2005 5:28 pm
One day I'll be reading about these losers in the Darwin Awards.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

jubol

Reply #2   Mar 18, 2005 5:46 pm
 EMMO,

If that burns back to the main tank, He is TOAST!!!

How stupid can some people be ! !  !

Fred         

This message was modified Mar 18, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #3   Mar 18, 2005 7:05 pm
I agree WD-40 is highly flammable and dangerous.  Certainly should be used with safety in mind.   I use it or the Walmart  generic all the time in my shop.  The Vo-tech system I retired from made  us use a similiar product that was not flammable. It has been a number of years but as I remember it did the job quite well---I have been trying to think of the Brand name but it escapes me.  Can any of you come up with some names of Brands that  do the same job as WD-40?-----Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
robmints

Reply #4   Mar 18, 2005 7:53 pm
We have Kroil from Marty. And PB blaster from SpottedPony I forget who likes LPS and Rustoff. I remember something like 556.I don't remember one that was special because it was not flammable. I spray WD on everyting. It really does have a lot of uses.
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #5   Mar 18, 2005 8:48 pm
Was it something like crc 556 or 656. It came in a red/white can,
with small black label? Can't remember seeing it on the shelves any more.
T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #6   Mar 18, 2005 8:51 pm
It does say on the can that it is flammable. Any petroleum based product is bound to be. I wonder what the propellant is as it may contribute to the problem too. They stopped using freon based ones when it was found the ozone layer was thinning and penguins in Antarctica were using vast quantities of sunscreen to combat sunburns.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Garandman

Reply #7   Mar 18, 2005 8:51 pm
I use Break-Free CLP (Cleaner Lubicant Protectant) as a penetrant. I also use a product called Sheath, which is a light oil that holds well on metl surfaces. They're both sold at WalMart in the "Hunting Supplies" section - that's where gun stuff lives in our politically correct times.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Mar 18, 2005 9:53 pm
Garandman wrote:
I use Break-Free CLP (Cleaner Lubicant Protectant) as a penetrant. I also use a product called Sheath, which is a light oil that holds well on metl surfaces. They're both sold at WalMart in the "Hunting Supplies" section - that's where gun stuff lives in our politically correct times.

Great for firearms!
Garandman

Reply #9   Mar 19, 2005 6:33 am
Marshall wrote:
Great for firearms!

Becasue I had a convenient plastic squeeze bottle, I started using it as a lube on sailboat rigging. When it seemed to stand up well against salt water (that's relative, nothing stands up very well to salt water) I also started using it on my outboard and other metal parts on boats.

It has a lot more body than WD40. There's a saying that WD40 has destroyed more equipment  than it's saved.  Then I started using the Plastilube that comes in the little surplus rifle grease containers - you can buy a case of 144 for about $15. It works great under the hood of the car and on the snowblower as it stands up well to water and helps minimize corrosion. Great stuff.

Plastilube and Lubriplate 130 are what made the Garand a reliable combat weapon, so  always have some around.
Emmo

Reply #10   Mar 19, 2005 7:10 am
Liquid Wrench (while maybe not the best product for all the same uses as WD-40) comes in both a flammable and NON-flammable version.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42