Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Carlisle Sno Hog tires versus chains

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Carlisle Sno Hog tires versus chains
Original Message   Mar 11, 2005 6:13 am
I have an older (1970) Ariens snowblower that has chains (and no differential).

The new ones seem to come with the Carlisle Snow Hog tires, and the dealers claim they have better traction in snow and ice than chains. True Story? The chains do a number on the pavement when turing around.
I splurged and bought new tubes last season, but being kind of wild I can replace the tires every 35 years whether they need it or not....
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: Carlisle Sno Hog tires versus chains
Reply #1   Mar 11, 2005 6:34 am
Hi Guys_

Garandman- Thje Snow Hogs are more than adequate .

I' ve  had both and would say that the chains are better than the tires but not worth the damage . Chains are only necessary if you have a VERY steep grade.

Marc

This message was modified Mar 11, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
patsfan

Reply #2   Mar 11, 2005 7:53 am
Hi Garandman,and welcome to the forum. 

I always had chains on my old snowblower [which I sold at an outrageous price  :-) ]  However, with my new (last year's)  Toro which has those tires, I can now clear a path in the yard to the birdfeeder without worrying about tearing up the lawn.  This makes it easier for me,and makes my wife happy also,knowing that I'll fill  it  more often without grumbling,lol.  I don't have any big grades to contend with though, so I can't say how well  they'd work on hills.  I can say they don't wreak havoc with the pavement like  chains do,so I wouldn't be afraid to recommend them. 

This message was modified Mar 11, 2005 by patsfan

formerly OT
nibbler

Reply #3   Mar 11, 2005 8:23 am
I've found that most of the time I don't want "too much" traction. I break several wheel hub locking pins a year. This is probably caused by my running into a lip in someone's sidewalk, getting hung up on a lump in their driveway or going too fast into the frozen EOD. The point is that there are lots of times when you don't want the wheels to grip, you want them to slip  so the rest of your traction system takes less of a beating.

I guess what it comes down to is looking at how you are using the machine. If you need more traction then the Sno Hogs will give more than the older style. Chains will give more traction still  but tear up the road surface more.
lland

Reply #4   Mar 11, 2005 9:03 am
Sno Hogs are great.  I've yet to lost traction and my driveway is pretty smooth.  If there's too much snow, the blower just rides up on it and I have to slow down a bit.  Go with the tires.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #5   Mar 11, 2005 11:07 am
I too have the hawgs, and i don't have even a slight quibble about thier traction.  I don't have any experience with chains, cause i spent my child hood shoveling :(  My little differential-less ariens 824 has always had just the right amount of stick.  Plus, i would suspect that it's eaiser to turn the thing around with the hawgs than with chains, esp with both wheels locked to the axle(which is how i always run), i have a decent short grade at the end of my drive too.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #6   Mar 11, 2005 4:05 pm
Well in my book there's 2 kind of rubber 1 for summer and 1 for winter and I'm telling you there's a big difference

Walby

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Mar 11, 2005 8:24 pm
I have cleared snow off of my frozen pond with the snow hogs and never slipped.  I have had my father's Ariens pull me up my drive.  They are great tires and I would change to them in a second.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42