Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Original Message   Mar 10, 2005 5:12 pm
I have an old Ariens snowblower that is in good shape but with a tired engine. I've been looking into a new replacement. The logical candidates seem to be the Tecumseh OHSK70, the B&S Intek 7.5, and the Honda GX200. 

The Honda seems to have the most torque (10 ft lbs) but is also by far the most expensive - $500 versus around $300 for the other two.

I have never seen a torque figure quoted for the Tecumseh, but it seems like the Intek 7.5 is around 7 ft  lbs?

Another engine that I came across was the Robin Subaru EX series, a 7hp OHC engine that has a lot of advanced features but isn't much more than the B&S or Tecumseh. They all have the same crankshaft (3/4") and height (about 4.17").
B&S sent me data sheets on the replacement: the Honda dealer has an employee who did one; and Tecumseh gave me all the dimensions and concerns (mostly about fitting the chute crank under the engine) but they all seem like they'll work.

I live in Boston MA and the current unit is a Tecumseh H50 on a 1970 Ariens. I checked the compression and it's 65 psi on the first pull and 75 psi after 2 or 3 (by hand pull). I do the sidewalks up and down the street for  some older (or lazier) neighbors so the kids can walk to school without walking in the road. The blower is great because it compacts the snow a bit and the biggest problem here after a snowstorm is finding a place to put it. I've used the unit 8 times so far this season.
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 24 - 33 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
pcardone

Re: Replacement snow engine - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Reply #24   Dec 10, 2005 9:52 pm
Garandman wrote:
Hi Garandman,
I just bought a used Ariens just like the picture that you posted.  The model # and serial # were cut off of it so I am not able to figure out the best matching model number for this blower.  You said you have one along the same line, mine matches the picture exactly, does yours?  If it does, would you give me the specs of it along with Model # so I can look up more information about it?  It's a very clean machine with a tired motor and some light carb work that needs to be done.  I am also debating about changing motors or repairing the one I have.  I have found some really good engine prices online and compared to fixing the existing engine, it is much more worthwhile just to buy a new one.
Please respond with your model number and HP rating of your machine so I have an idea if it is the same thing, that way I can get other stuff like skid plates and such easier without a lot of trial and error. 
Thank you!
Phil
I bought a B&S Intek Snow 7.5 with electric start & alternator. 

B&S was the most helpful in giving advice about the transplant; the engine seems to perform well; and they have a two year warranty. Tecumseh was responsive but didn't have the pictures and directions B&S offered. Honda would not offer any advice at all and referred me to a local dealer, who quoted me $499 for a GX200. He'd put an 8hp Honda on his Ariens but that's a more difficult change because the crankshaft is a different height. I never got a square answer as to what changes would be required to use a Honda on a snowblower.

Since I had to send the blower housing out for welding anyway, I cut off the bracket for the auger crank handle and will have it welded on to facilitate adding the u-joints required with the new engine. My blower is not the one shown (that's a B&S picture, I believe, but on the smallenginewarehouse site) but is otherwise the same model, so the OHV engine would interfere.

I'm changing the friction disk while I'm waiting, repainting everything, changing to Snow Hog tires, etc.  I bought the Duplicolor Chevy Orange DE1620 as suggested by Itzbinnace, and it does seem to be a perfect match for Ariens Orange.

Garandman

Re: Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Reply #25   Dec 11, 2005 6:17 am
It doesn't seem like you left a message, ut here's the completed machine.

Garandman

Reply #26   Dec 11, 2005 6:25 am
Just saw this part of your message.

[quote]I just bought a used Ariens just like the picture that you posted.  The model # and serial # were cut off of it so I am not able to figure out the best matching model number for this blower.  You said you have one along the same line, mine matches the picture exactly, does yours?  If it does, would you give me the specs of it along with Model # so I can look up more information about it?  It's a very clean machine with a tired motor and some light carb work that needs to be done.  I am also debating about changing motors or repairing the one I have.  I have found some really good engine prices online and compared to fixing the existing engine, it is much more worthwhile just to buy a new one.[/quote]

Have to add another post because the Moderators (who must be strange people indeed) removed the ability to edit posts......

The engine is a 7.5hp Intek Snow with a 3/4" shaft and electric start. The shaft was a little longer than requird on the one I bought as a "scratch and dent" special - I cut it off with a hacksaw. I had to drill out the old studs and replace them with longer bolts. I have a personal website with more pictures and details, PM me if you need more info.

Here's a comparison between the new OHV Intek and old H50.

Because I bought an 8hp Ariens I haven't actually used this one yet. I'm bringing it to my brother in  a week or so. He has a teenager to wring it out.
pcardone

Reply #27   Dec 11, 2005 11:52 am
Garandman wrote:

It doesn't seem like you left a message, ut here's the completed machine.

Wow, you did a nice job at cleaning that machine up.  Looks brand spanky new!  I believe mine is pretty much the same exact model, could you tell me the Ariens model number of yours?  So you went 7.5HP Intek, I am still debating on which engine to put into my frame.  I was hoping to go to at least an 8.5 or 9.5HP motor but need to be careful that the internal components can handle it. 

Mind if I ask the website where you got your engine from?  I remember seeing those "scratch and dent" ones, but didn't save the link.

Thanks!

Garandman

Reply #28   Dec 11, 2005 11:11 pm
pcardone wrote:

Wow, you did a nice job at cleaning that machine up.  Looks brand spanky new!  I believe mine is pretty much the same exact model, could you tell me the Ariens model number of yours?  So you went 7.5HP Intek, I am still debating on which engine to put into my frame.  I was hoping to go to at least an 8.5 or 9.5HP motor but need to be careful that the internal components can handle it. Mind if I ask the website where you got your engine from?  I remember seeing those "scratch and dent" ones, but didn't save the link.

Thanks!

The blower unit is 10995.

The 8.5+ hp engines have the shaft in a different location and as this unit only has one blet, you're pushing it.

I bought it at Small Engine Warehouse.
pcardone

Reply #29   Dec 12, 2005 8:35 pm
Garandman wrote:
The blower unit is 10995.

The 8.5+ hp engines have the shaft in a different location and as this unit only has one blet, you're pushing it.

I bought it at Small Engine Warehouse.

Thank you!!  You answered questions that I wasn't able to find yet.  So basically I should prob go the same route you did, Intek 7.5 and make the linkage arm for the chute.  I could prob go to 8HP without a problem but no higher. 

Awesome!  Thank you for all the help!!!

Dans

Reply #30   Nov 5, 2007 10:51 pm
Ariens snowblower engine upgrade.  High performance Ariens snowblower.

Check out this work in progress.  Upgrading from a 6 HP Tecumseh to an 11 HP Honda!

Had to relocate the motor mount studs.  Needs a custom pulley as the new engine has a 1" dia shaft.

5" OD cast iron pulley on order from McMaster-Carr.  More Later...

This message was modified Nov 5, 2007 by Dans
Moderator Denis

Reply #31   Nov 6, 2007 1:18 pm
Dans wrote:
Ariens snowblower engine upgrade.  High performance Ariens snowblower.

Check out this work in progress.  Upgrading from a 6 HP Tecumseh to an 11 HP Honda!

Had to relocate the motor mount studs.  Needs a custom pulley as the new engine has a 1" dia shaft.

5" OD cast iron pulley on order from McMaster-Carr.  More Later...

Wow!  wish I could listen and see this snow eater!!! Good job pal keep the good work

Professorpi

Reply #32   Nov 6, 2007 2:15 pm
Nice, I'd like to see what you're going to do for the chute control. I've been toying with the idea of using a stepper motor, I think that would be cool.
Dans

Motorized Snowblower Chute Angle Control
Reply #33   Nov 6, 2007 10:17 pm
Professor,

The stepper idea sounds good.  I had been planning on using the old crank with a 3/8" socket set universal welded in line to make the turn up from under the engine to the handlebars.  I like your idea-it eliminates a lot of cranking back and forth.  You may be interested in a similar idea from utube-it's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBL3GxBduyU

I'm still waiting for my new engine pulley.

Regards, Steve

Replies: 24 - 33 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42